• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Wow this sounds nuts.

Lots more at the link.

Deadspin's editor in chief has left the company, saying the new leadership of parent company G/O Media have made it "impossible" for her to continue working there.

"I have been repeatedly undermined, lied to, and gaslit in my job," Megan Greenwell said in a brief phone call with The Daily Beast on Friday.

G/O Media was formed earlier this year when Gizmodo Media Group, the former Gawker Media company that included sites including Deadspin, Gizmodo, and Jezebel, among others, was purchased from Univision by private equity firm Great Hill. As The Daily Beast previously reported, G/O's new leadership have occasionally clashed with some of the company's famously independent and outspoken editorial staff.

Greenwell said Friday that she feels "heartbroken" about leaving and that, while she does not want to be seen as a victim, recent decisions by company brass left her with few options.

Among the many grievances, Greenwell said, G/O leadership refused to guarantee editorial independence for Deadspin and asked for the site to "stick to sports"—a long-running source of frustration for a staff that also covers media, politics, and culture beyond sports.
Also contributing to Greenwell's exit was an email CEO Jim Spanfeller sent in July to the entire staff criticizing a then-impending story, published earlier this month by Deadspin, highlighting how new leadership has operated since taking charge.

In the email, Spanfeller said he was "greatly concerned about the objectivity and core intentions of this piece," and questioned the editorial standards of Deadspin's editors. The CEO alleged that the piece was pre-written with its conclusions and that any responses he may have would be "mere window dressing." While he did not specifically name any individuals, Spanfeller singled out both the Deadspin reporter and editor-in-chief.

"I'm making the gamble that Deadspin will be better off once the team leader is someone the leader of the company wouldn't feel the need to smear in front of 400 people," Greenwell said.
Greenwell said that, following the report's publication, she was repeatedly asked to "commit to G/O and its management." When she inquired as to what that entailed, Greenwell said, she was never given a direct answer, nor would the company guarantee she and her team would not be punished for its reporting on company brass.
Greenwell's departure comes as the network of former Gawker websites undergo cultural changes at the behest of G/O leadership. On Thursday, for example, the company released a draft of a new staff handbook with stricter new rules, alarming some staff members. It's unclear whether the handbook contradicts the company's existing editorial union contract.

The G/O handbook declares that the company can search employees' "personal vehicles, parcels, purses, handbags, backpacks, briefcases, lunch boxes," review all electronic communications made on company property, and disclose those messages to others if the company deems it appropriate. The new rules also strangely allow the company to access reporters' "tweets" and bars employees from using encrypted email programs—a common tool journalists often use to protect highly confidential sources.

Perhaps most bizarrely, the handbook also establishes an attendance policy and a dress code. Employees must arrive between 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., according to the handbook, and are required to wear "smart casual" attire. "Offensive" logos or "sweatpants, exercise pants, Bermuda shorts, short shorts, biker shorts, Mini-skirts, beach dresses, midriff tops, and halter tops" are all banned.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those new handbook rules make it sound like management is more interested in overseeing a middle school, not news reporting services.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
*prays that the The Root staff can find a safe place*

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These private equity dipshits buy a product, demand the product change entirely, then wonder why the product isn't as popular anymore and why all their employees left. Fuck G/O.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they find a place that doesn't try to rein them in.
That kills me when ever corprate comes into these places. They kill the soul of these places knowing that is why they have the audience they have. You not going to grow by becoming the same as everyone else.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
The G/O handbook declares that the company can search employees' "personal vehicles, parcels, purses, handbags, backpacks, briefcases, lunch boxes," review all electronic communications made on company property, and disclose those messages to others if the company deems it appropriate. The new rules also strangely allow the company to access reporters' "tweets" and bars employees from using encrypted email programs—a common tool journalists often use to protect highly confidential sources.

What the actual fuck?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah that handbook would get me to leave in an instant what the fuck

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So I don't know how many people have been keeping up but a couple weeks ago Laura Wagner published a report on everything that new management has been doing since they took over earlier this year. A lot of it involves replacing editors and higher ups with cronies of the guy who bought the company. The guy even went so far as to try to find minority candidates who've been working there to be the stooge for the cronies getting hired, as if women in leadership roles would somehow support getting fucked over-- at that place of all places-- so more old white men could fall upwards.

This is a God damned tragedy, to be honest. That company has a LOT of awesome websites under their umbrella-- Deadspin, The Root, A/V Club, The Onion, Gizmodo, Kotaku... the Splinter I guess is ok too.

Some of them will be fine with the new policies. I doubt Jalopnik was really worried about teeing off on police brutality while writing a 5000 word think piece on whether the 1999 Ford Ranger was the best pickup truck ever built, haha.

However, a lot of those sites get their edge from being able to thumb their noses at pop culture and the bureaucracy. Everything interesting that Deadspin has reported has happened because they were allowed to push boundaries that other media companies wouldn't or didn't have the voice to do so. I don't see how The Root continues to exist if they can't continue using the term "wypipo," for instance.

Hopefully they right the ship and just bring Marchman back to run everything. I'm not terribly optimistic, but that'd be the best case scenario at this point. The problem is that he was one of the first people let go by the new management. But most of the talent there seems to like him, and the ones that I've never seen talk about him all seem to talk to people who do know about him.

If everything continues the tailspin, there are certain writers who will be fine. Drew Magary, David Roth, etc. would be fine. But a younger writer trying to break into the biz, someone like Lauren Theisen, could really be SOL for a while until she cuts her chops elsewhere.

Ugh. This sucks.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Maybe he should go work for Bill Simmons, only ever hear good stuff about him when it comes to being a boss (being serious). But they probably have a clause that doesn't let staffers work for him

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe he should go work for Bill Simmons, only ever hear good stuff about him when it comes to being a boss (being serious). But they probably have a clause that doesn't let staffers work for him
She*

And I think half of Deadspin would rather work at McDonalds than admit that their smarm and shittiness towards Simmons could be even minutely unjustified.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
She*

And I think half of Deadspin would rather work at McDonalds than admit that their smarm and shittiness towards Simmons could be even minutely unjustified.

Typo on my part. How shitty they treat him is so weird considering he essentially invented the "shtick" their entire business is based off of. And legitimately, whatever someone may think of him as a writer or speaker, he's good at identifying talent and leading a team.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Deadspin is going to die a slow death as it becomes less and less political and more and more toothless generic sports

Oct 27, 2017
"The G/O handbook declares that the company can search employees' "personal vehicles, parcels, purses, handbags, backpacks, briefcases, lunch boxes,""

What in the name of god. Fuck off you lunatics, who would work under these conditions?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised at all if other staff members are looking to find work elsewhere so they can bail on that shit show. Those changes and crazy dumb.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Ahahahahahhahaahahahaha eat shit.

A policy like that would cause mass exoduses anywhere.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
The A.V. Club feels all but dead so I really hope the same doesn't happen to Deadspin. Won't hold my breath.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
These private equity dipshits buy a product, demand the product change entirely, then wonder why the product isn't as popular anymore and why all their employees left. Fuck G/O.

Yep this seems to happen all the time, they intentionally ignore what made the site/company successful and try to take it a whole different direction. I have definitely noticed a difference in G/O sites recently, not sure if it's really due to upper management direction or that they have lost a lot of staff in the past year (which may have been due to new management). Either way I don't read their articles/blogs as much which is a shame because all of the sites have really talented writers.

Also I saw that a Gizmodo senior producer left this week too, wonder if this might the start of a trend.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
If anything happened with Kotaku I'd be devastating. And even though the writing and reporting quality hasn't suffered a bit, it really sucks to visit as a site now. The ads on mobile are everywhere, and they've made it so the articles are almost indistinguishable visually from the sponcon.

God, the Onion, AV Club, IO9... they're among the very few sites I regularly visit, G/O is so stacked with great verticals and I really hope they can figure something out. These are like foundational blogs in the history of Internet, some of the last survivors of the pre-social media landscape and they're absolutely bursting with top tier talent. It would legitimately be the end of an era and an absolute shame to lose them. I sincerely wish everyone there the best.

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I like to think that I would fully gut-punch someone who came up to me at work and told me they were going to search my car and my phone.
I

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Deadspin and a lot of the other group sites have been in a bit of decline already, especially since the fall of gawker and the purchase by Univision. Deadspin used to be a daily read for me, now it's a few times per week. The expose that she did recently was pretty crazy and for sure a sign of the end drawing near. Wish her and the rest all good luck.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how much of this shit is just a negotiating tactic to take to the union. There's no way their union would ever let them have their private property searched and execs have to know that as well. I don't think they put that in there unless they're hoping to say later "Well look we gave in on these ten things so you should give in on one and stop insulting my bros from my club at Harvard"

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
If anything happened with Kotaku I'd be devastating. And even though the writing and reporting quality hasn't suffered a bit, it really sucks to visit as a site now. The ads on mobile are everywhere, and they've made it so the articles are almost indistinguishable visually from the sponcon.

God, the Onion, AV Club, IO9... they're among the very few sites I regularly visit, G/O is so stacked with great verticals and I really hope they can figure something out. These are like foundational blogs in the history of Internet, some of the last survivors of the pre-social media landscape and they're absolutely bursting with top tier talent. It would legitimately be the end of an era and an absolute shame to lose them. I sincerely wish everyone there the best.

AV Club has been one of my favorite websites for years now, but for a long time it's felt like it is dying a slow death. The number of reviews has fallen for a while, and it feels like it has been bleeding contributors. I keep hoping it will bounce back, but seeing this news makes me even more nervous for its future.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
So I don't know how many people have been keeping up but a couple weeks ago Laura Wagner published a report on everything that new management has been doing since they took over earlier this year. A lot of it involves replacing editors and higher ups with cronies of the guy who bought the company. The guy even went so far as to try to find minority candidates who've been working there to be the stooge for the cronies getting hired, as if women in leadership roles would somehow support getting fucked over-- at that place of all places-- so more old white men could fall upwards.

This is a God damned tragedy, to be honest. That company has a LOT of awesome websites under their umbrella-- Deadspin, The Root, A/V Club, The Onion, Gizmodo, Kotaku... the Splinter I guess is ok too.

Some of them will be fine with the new policies. I doubt Jalopnik was really worried about teeing off on police brutality while writing a 5000 word think piece on whether the 1999 Ford Ranger was the best pickup truck ever built, haha.

However, a lot of those sites get their edge from being able to thumb their noses at pop culture and the bureaucracy. Everything interesting that Deadspin has reported has happened because they were allowed to push boundaries that other media companies wouldn't or didn't have the voice to do so. I don't see how The Root continues to exist if they can't continue using the term "wypipo," for instance.

Hopefully they right the ship and just bring Marchman back to run everything. I'm not terribly optimistic, but that'd be the best case scenario at this point. The problem is that he was one of the first people let go by the new management. But most of the talent there seems to like him, and the ones that I've never seen talk about him all seem to talk to people who do know about him.

If everything continues the tailspin, there are certain writers who will be fine. Drew Magary, David Roth, etc. would be fine. But a younger writer trying to break into the biz, someone like Lauren Theisen, could really be SOL for a while until she cuts her chops elsewhere.

Ugh. This sucks.

Jalopnik still gets political. Like when the VW emissions scandal broke. That shit was huge

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So Peter Thiel's work finally bears fruit. It seemed like these sites had largely been able operate as they did before but now corporate tampering is coming into play. This sucks. I wonder if this will be commented on Kotaku Splitscreen?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BARRING from using encrypted email? So many workplaces that deal with sensitive information require use of encrypted email. What is this fuckery.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
I'm not sure how you can operate a newsroom and bar encrypted email. If you want to run a content farm, sell off these assets and buy ViralNova or something.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
If you're taking a paycheck from someone then they get to make the big decisions on how the company is run, not you. You may disagree and share those views up to a point, but at some point if they say "We are focusing on sports now, please stop publishing articles criticizing how the company is run" its a bit ridiculous to say thats not their right.

I'd also question all the posts saying "LBO buys company, wonders why it becomes unsuccessful when they change it". AFAIK all these media properties are money losers, for a while there was a media bubble where the VALUATION kept going up on the "these tulips are gonna be worth more in 2 years!" but they were never really profitable, and that bubble has been slowly deflating for 1-3 years now. Advertising is likely not a money maker unless you are facebook/google.

It would be interesting to see if a "Gawker 2.0" kind of site can arise, from people who think they know what works better and can compete against their former sites. If they are right, it should work and make money. If they aren't, then it'll fail.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017