• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Dude always gotta plan for the worst, this sucks and all and even though you can't imagine leaving the situation I can almost guarantee your ex and her girlfriend have imagined getting you out of there. Even if it all works out on the end on the off chance they do decide to get you the fuck outta there you need to be ready and start making arrangements.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
OP, you are worth more than this. I want you tell you that out loud. "I am worth more than this. I can do this. I am worthy of having a mutually loving relationship."

I also want to tell yourself this: "The arrangement now will not stay the same." The closer your ex and the girl become the more they will want to be in a home without you. You are the variable that is unnecessary. You've tried explaining and justifying your existence in the home and I'm telling you that you are not necessary and they will get rid of you. There is only a matter of when. In fact, she may already be talking to lawyers and setting things up to screw you over. Almost every single post in this, hundreds of people, are telling you this. Listen to us.

I assume you're alone during the day. Research lawyers and make a plan. Start pulling as much cash as you can without being suspicious. Sell whatever unnecessary valuables you can to create a small fund. If she notices, talk about trying a minimalist lifestyle for mental well being or something. You can always buy it again. It will be easier to move with less stuff too.

It would be best to move with your mom. I don't know the reason why it would be a bad situation, but unless it's abuse I would go back, even if it's just for a few months to help you back in your feet while you get a job and a place to live. If not, it will be harder, but you still have to go it because, again, she will leave you even if you don't prepare.

I want to say this again: this will not last and you must prepare yourself. There is no "for the kids" for her. If she really cared, would she be flaunting a relationship like that in front of them? No. She only cares about herself and you will end up screwed over.

I've seen it happen many times to my friends. The relationship is over. It was over the moment she went out with that woman. Stop worrying over her and focus on you. Children want stability, prove you are the stable one to them. You can do it.

Dec 13, 2017
Man what state are you in? I know in Florida, as long as it's your homestead property, it doesn't matter if your name is on anything. As soon as you guys get married, you're legally entitled to 50% of the property. You can also be entitled to alimony and child support, depending if you win custody of the kids. Though, given what you're saying, custody may not be the best for the kids. It kinda sounds like you're comfortable and letting shit happen to you until you're given no choice but to act. Act now! Get a lawyer and you probably have equal rights to that property. Sell the house to get your share and you'll probably get alimony. You won't know unless you lawyer up. It's better to do this now, than when your ass is kicked to the street and have to work from rock bottom.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, get in someone's community college or trade school. You can power through and earn an associates in like a year and a half. You need to be able to support yourself when they eventually kick you out.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Your wife seems to be incredibly selfish. I'm sorry you're in this situation OP.

My advide is to save up money and date like a mad man. Build a new life for yourself.

Theraflu

Feb 13, 2019
Weirdly enough i never got the whole polyamorous thing, at all. I'd never ever let my ex-wife lover in my house and i've always advocated for clean and decisive break, since its the best thing to eventually move one.
BUT

I've thought about this recently and if my wife came out as gay, i dont think i'd mind it that much. I've always perceived having sex with the same sex as a ''different'' thing, in a way that i wouldnt see it as cheating if my wife slept with another woman, and i've told her that. Plus I wouldn't be able not feel bad for her if I learned that for the last 5 years she was stuck in a straight marriage and repressed her true orientation.

Like I get it, she dumped your ass, but its not really your fault and ultimately there's nothing you could've done about it.You seem to have very low self-esteem, but if you can move on, the situation isnt so bad. She didn't dump because you weren't good enough, or because she found someone better, you just never could be what she wanted, it hurts but its not your fault and there's no reason not get along with her.

You could live in the same house as your ex-wife and have one more pair of hand to take care of the kids. Just learn to get along with your ex-styf new lover, and get one yourself, move her in too, learn to all get along.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Well I have, so now my anecdote nullifies yours so you have to not say anything further.

Again, it doesn't work like that. Even if you wanted it to work like that, the vast majority of people think poly is a bit strange at best, and are rare compared to monogamous relationships. There are many considerations here if you want to apply 'all things are the same anecdotally' logic.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You really should look for a new place to live. The damage you're doing to yourself by staying in that house is catastrophic. Plus, consider what happens when you're dating again and bring a woman home. "This is my ex-wife and her girlfriend, let's go to the bedroom" is really not the best sales pitch.

We didn't even get ten posts in before someone posted the "ResetERA special." Impressive.
Turned out he was going to the gym and is planning to see a therapist, people say it because it works.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is unusual unless the wife had the house going into the marriage.

Depends on credit scores and such.

From here:

To get a mortgage

Many mortgage programs have minimum FICO scores that would get a couple declined if one spouse's score is too low. Whether it's bad credit or just a too-short credit history, if the result is a FICO under 620, you'll be disqualified under many programs.

So it would make sense to put the mortgage in your own name if you can qualify without your significant other's income.

or

To save money

A few years ago, the Federal Reserve studied mortgage costs and found something startling. Of over 600,000 loans studied, ten percent could have paid at least .125 percent less by having the more qualified buyer apply alone.

In addition, another 25 percent of borrowers could have "significantly reduced" their loan costs this way.

It may pay to check with your loan officer. For instance, if one borrower has a 699 FICO and the other has a 700 FICO, they'd save $500 in loan fees for every $100,000 borrowed due to Fannie Mae fees for sub-700 scores.

or

To preserve assets

Your home is an asset which can be liened or confiscated in some cases. For instance, if your spouse has defaulted student loans, unpaid taxes or child support, or unpaid judgments, he or she might be vulnerable to asset confiscation.

By buying a house in your name only, you protect it from creditors. Note that if your spouse incurred the debt after marrying you, this protection may not apply.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone even thought about what those kids will think and feel about this relationship and relationships in general once they're old enough to process the situation?

Would OP react this same way if his ex wife brought a male lover into the house instead of a female?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, because she does love me, just not in a romantic way. That's... platonic love? You don't know enough about our relationship to judge how she treats me on a day-to-day basis.

Unless you mean that my love for her is still not platonic. In which case I'd have to say you're right. I don't really know how to handle that, and all I can really do is keep my expectations in check, which they are.

Their situation and my situation are still different situations, intertwined as they may be. I can be happy for them and sad for me.

This thread was NEVER going to be supportive of this idea. For a start poly relationships aren't seen in good light here as most people don't get how they can exist because THEY could never allow it. They will always respond badly to situations like these. So when a poly relationship is almost always dismissed here as never able to work, what kind of feedback did you expect for this situation which is even less traditional than that?

Add on top of that your kinda listless tone in describing all of this. Now this could be down to your depression (which you have described more as the thread has grown) and might just be how you write in general, but add it to the aforementioned and people are assuming you're not taking care of yourself, that there's no self-love here, that you're allowing your wife and their partner to just dictate all of this and you're being strung along.

Nobody here has ANY idea of how you are treated by your ex-wife daily. They have no idea how you get along with their partner. They have no idea how you gel as a group, or how your kids are handling it... beyond your listless descriptions, which I'm sure you can see are not painting it in a good light.

Why did you make the thread? Were you aware of how this forum reacts to poly and other similar alternative relationships lifestyles? Are you aware if the constantly pretty awful dating and relationship advice people give here?

This thread was never going to be anything but the way it is now, and you have helped steer it there.

Even if this situation works out, even if all parties remain happy, loved, respected, and the kids are taken care of and aren't negatively affected, even then you still need to take better care of yourself.

Meds and therapy is a good first step. Being able to go to the gym consistently for someone like yourself who has struggled with taking steps like these is pretty big... but you need to look to your future too.

There are going to be three of you soon, three people who can help share the responsibility of the housework and childminding. And while you are the stay at home parent, they could both provide a little extra help to give you time to do things like learn a new skill.

I worked most of my life in dead end low paid jobs and I was miserable. My depression went mostly untreated and I just couldn't find the energy to better myself. It wasn't until a few years ago that I forced myself out of that rut and taught myself a new skill (web development) and now I can work freelance when it suits me and earn very good money.

You could do something similar, you should absolutely try to discover something you have an interest in to learn that can be applied to the working world but also something that will give you a sense of self-worth, something you can be proud of.

And as you work on your depression you will likely rediscover your own desires for things, including the desire to be with someone. It should be good to be on your way toward building something just for yourself when this happens.

I only you know for sure if the situation is stable for you, if it is though you still absolutely need to build something just for you. Something that, should you wish or need to be, you can use to support yourself, your children, and potentially build a brand new life on top of.

That should be your priority imo, for you AND your children. And if, as you have reasoned, your wife and their partner truly do support you, they will help you with this.

And, if they don't, if they are secretly plotting to kick you out as most people here are telling you, if they see you trying to build something they might still be supportive because it would make the eventual split easier for everyone.

Whatever you do, OP, do not just sink into this and become reliant on your ex-wife. Even if they will support you forever, that is not a healthy place to be for you.

The time has come for you to really push yourself to build something just for yourself, even if you end up staying there for the rest of your life, this is something essential all of us need.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've seen it enough times. It's always weird, everyone thinks they're being weird, they're always bringing it up and how they wished so and so was also poly, and they're involved in the weirdest interpersonal drama that has no business occurring in a healthy relationship.
Maybe they can be healthy, but yeah, none of the poly people I know (admittedly a small sample size of 3 different throuples/quadrouples) exhibit any sort of signs of a healthy relationship. In all of them, it just seems to have multiplied their problems exponentially per person involved. My cousin pressured/gaslit her now-ex husband into such a relationship with two other people, and they went from functional (maybe boring) monogomy to completely batshit polyenmity in about a year. They're divorced, no longer speaking, and even the two additions to their love square mutually hate each other. It would have been healthier if my cousin and her ex had just started with the divorce and just fucked other people.
The other two poly groups I know have just the wildest fucking drama, with lovers rising and falling from prominence, getting excluded, kicked out, fought with, and all that.
Maybe some people make it work. Maybe there are truly couples who both mutually want to extend their relationship to an equal degree. From the people I know, though, it usually involves an element of one person really wanting it and the other eventually breaking down and allowing it, only to end in disaster as they realize that they don't want to be second banana in their relationships.

All of that is not to say that monogamy is a sure bet, either. I guess I just mean to say that polygamy/polyamory just takes all the shit, drama, and hard-ass work that maintaining a relationship with one person takes and multiplies it by adding more individuals with conflicting needs and desires, and introduces competition, jealousy, and conflict above and beyond the amount in a traditional monogamous relationship.

Last edited:

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I don't know why you guys are so interested in whether OP is on the mortgage or not. If they are legally married and have children the house is just as much his as it is his wife's regardless of whose name is on the loan papers or title.

The girlfriend isn't entitled to anything.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can be healthy, but yeah, none of the poly people I know (admittedly a small sample size of 3 different throuples/quadrouples) exhibit any sort of signs of a healthy relationship. In all of them, it just seems to have multiplied their problems exponentially per person involved. My cousin pressured/gaslit her now-ex husband into such a relationship with two other people, and they went from functional monogomy to completely batshit polyenmity in about a year. They're divorced, no longer speaking, and even the two additions to their love square mutually hate each other. It would have been healthier if my cousin and her ex had just started with the divorce and just fucked other people.
The other two poly groups I know have just the wildest fucking drama, with lovers rising and falling from prominence, getting excluded, kicked out, fought with, and all that.
Maybe some people make it work. Maybe there are truly couples who both mutually want to extend their relationship to an equal degree. From the people I know, though, it usually involves an element of one person really wanting it and the other eventually breaking down and allowing it, only to end in disaster as they realize that they don't want to be second banana in their relationships.

Edit: sorry thought you were the other guy.

Yes they can be healthy.

Oct 29, 2017
You need to work on your self-esteem man. You make it sound like only your wife's feelings and desires matter. You deserve happiness, respect, and love too.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Maybe they can be healthy, but yeah, none of the poly people I know (admittedly a small sample size of 3 different throuples/quadrouples) exhibit any sort of signs of a healthy relationship. In all of them, it just seems to have multiplied their problems exponentially per person involved. My cousin pressured/gaslit her now-ex husband into such a relationship with two other people, and they went from functional monogomy to completely batshit polyenmity in about a year. They're divorced, no longer speaking, and even the two additions to their love square mutually hate each other. It would have been healthier if my cousin and her ex had just started with the divorce and just fucked other people.

All of that is not to say that monogamy is a sure bet, either. I guess I just mean to say that polygamy just takes all the shit, drama, and hard-ass work that maintaining a relationship with one person takes and multiplies it by adding more individuals with conflicting needs and desires, and introduced competition, jealousy, and conflict above and beyond the amount in a traditional monogamous relationship.

Great post.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Can we stop shitting on poly relationships? Like I said, I know people in happy non-traditional relationships.
Again, it doesn't work like that. Even if you wanted it to work like that, the vast majority of people think poly is a bit strange at best, and are rare compared to monogamous relationships. There are many considerations here if you want to apply 'all things are the same anecdotally' logic.
Yeah, there's a lot of close-minded people, that's nothing new

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The depression has been with me long before I knew my wife, and is still improving from where I was even a year ago. I've had suicidal thoughts in the past, but now even when I have a knowable reason for being sad I'm not thinking about that at all. I'm improving.

The comments about what it would be like if I left weren't about me being unhappy about this. I can be fine living like the regardless of what my life might be like otherwise. Saying I'd hate that doesn't mean I hate this.

The thread was never about the living situation, but I felt describing it was important to explaining how I feel. Yes, I am still in love with my wife. No, she was never in love with me. That's the only part of this that's got me down. And I'd have to deal with that whether I was living with her or not.
If you're really okay with this and she is too, ignore everyone in this thread. But please, if things go south and you're kindly asked to move out, please, please, get a lawyer and get paid so you can jump start a new life. That would be whats best for your kids.

I'll ask you straight out, do you plan to get a lawyer when you get divorced? I have a feeling your going to say "No I love her too much and that sounds hard and messy"

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ everyone here immediately thinking they can judge the Situation better than the OP. "Yeah, so, thid Situation sucks but we are all pretty happy all things considered, treat each other well, Support each other..."

"LAWYER UP AND STOP GETTING TRAMPLED ON"

"No, no, its cool, we actually..."

"MOVE OUT AND SUE HER FOR HALF HER MONEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING"

"But this Situation is working for us so why should I..."

"SHE WILL LITERALLY STAB YOU IN YOUR SLEEP OP SHE IS A SIREN OF THE DEEP WHO WILL EAT YOUR STILL BEATING HEART BELIEVE ME I HAD SEX ONCE AND AM A PERFECT JUDGE FOR THESE KINDS OF SITUATIONS ALSO HIT THE GYM"
None of us truly know what the OP is going through. I get that. We shouldn't invalidate his feelings.

But a lot of us have gone through shit that helps us relate to his situation and understand it. I was married, together with someone for 7/8 years, and one day she came to me and told me she didn't find me attractive no more. Tried to work on it, got a marriage counselor, but she was having none of it. Within weeks, she brought home another man into our house when I fell asleep on the couch one night. Left and never looked back. Shit fucked me up for months. You do a lot of introspective thinking. You talk with a therapist for a year. Stay in contact with support groups in family and friends. You look for an answer as to why or how this happened, but the reality is that you'll never get that answer. Gotta work on yourself to make yourself better and move forward.

I find it very hard to believe the OP is in an emotionally healthy place. Sorry, maybe you are, but I find it very hard to believe. You're clearly complacent and feeding into and hanging onto codependency tendencies. It's only going to hurt you in the long run and make you even less capable to be independent in the future. You need education, a job, a career, something?

And like others have said, get a lawyer or someone to help you through the divorce. You're owed part of the finances. I'm gonna make an assumption that she's trying to get you to not rock the boat to maximize her financial position.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
The relationship described in the OP sounded profoundly unsatisfying and full of red flags long before this awkward living situation.

1) Partner doesn't immediately reciprocate declarations of love
2) Partner was interested in someone else and only enters relationship after that person doesn't commit
3) Partner withholds affection and sexual intimacy a mere three months into the "romantic" relationship

The writing was already on the wall, OP. None of these elements are typical nor desirable in a burgeoning romantic relationship. And what's extremely telling about your personality is that even with these red flags, you quickly proceeded to marry and have children with this person. You seem to have severe issues with depression, self-esteem, and denial. Yeah, you're finally coming to grips with the fact that your ex-wife was never in love with you, but the real takeaway here is that you never loved or respected yourself. I'm glad you're seeing a shrink because you really need to learn to love yourself more and recognize you deserve better than whatever the hell this relationship was. You deserve love and commitment, OP, but your eagerness to get into a serious relationship with someone who is cold to you and your concession to shift to a "polyamorous" relationship with this person just when it seems like things are looking up again tells me you may not believe that just yet. That you have no job or education likely also contribute to and may be explained by your lack of self-worth, self-love, and self-respect.

As for the current living situation, it sounds untenable to anyone who possesses or hopes to develop the aforementioned qualities. Move in with your mom ASAP and start looking for a job. Start looking into college and trade school while you're at it. And consult a lawyer about your impending divorce as you are likely entitled to some of your ex-wife's assets and alimony, which might help you get back on your feet.

Good luck, OP. You're gonna need it.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry you're having to go through this OP. So many others have shared their thoughts and recommendations on the emotional impact of this and your well-being. So I just wanted to quickly mention a few legal things to consider that I also went through after a 10+ year divorce.

Your marriage is considered a legal partnership, and because of that, there are some considerations that you may not be aware of, like:
- A family judge may grant you spousal support for X years (sometimes half the marriage) if she was the breadwinner to help with your transition
- You could be entitled to half of your combined savings, stocks, mutual funds, etc, even if they're all in her name
- Even though the house is in her name, in many states you would still be entitled to half the proceeds of the sale
- Unfortunately you would also be responsible for half of your debt accumulated while you're married, but again a family judge could set the right % of debt ownership based on incomes

Things to definitely do now no matter how amicable it feels right now:
- See a low cost or pro-bono family/divorce attorney to draft a separation agreement, or to review the one that she presents you
- A sep agreement will make the divorce proceedings go much smoother, and will ensure you don't get screwed out of the things I mentioned above
- A sep agreement also puts a plan in place for living arrangements, finances, debt, timelines for transition, and child support/care/visitation. Having a plan in place can reduce the stress of ambiguity.

Good luck OP, you can do this.

Nov 17, 2017
I don't know why people are arguing monagamy vs polygamy here. OP is not in a polygamous relationship. His ex-wife and her girlfriend are monogamous supposedly and he's just single and there.

Lol @ everyone here immediately thinking they can judge the Situation better than the OP. "Yeah, so, thid Situation sucks but we are all pretty happy all things considered, treat each other well, Support each other..."

"LAWYER UP AND STOP GETTING TRAMPLED ON"

"No, no, its cool, we actually..."

"MOVE OUT AND SUE HER FOR HALF HER MONEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING"

"But this Situation is working for us so why should I..."

"SHE WILL LITERALLY STAB YOU IN YOUR SLEEP OP SHE IS A SIREN OF THE DEEP WHO WILL EAT YOUR STILL BEATING HEART BELIEVE ME I HAD SEX ONCE AND AM A PERFECT JUDGE FOR THESE KINDS OF SITUATIONS ALSO HIT THE GYM"
If you make a thread about a life situation, people are gonna have opinions on it. If OP wanted to make a thread where everyone agreed with him then this probably wasn't the place to do it. I don't know what you expect the thread to be... just people posting "Yeah sound great OP." "Awesome OP, your life seems amazing." "I agree completely with this situation and think it could not possibly be better."

Your post is grossly misrepresenting the thread anyway. Yeah, OP is saying they're all happy. Well he also said that he's not happy and he has to deal with his unhappiness because he still loves his wife and she never loved him. Yeah, OP said, he's cool with living with his ex-wife and her new girlfriend that she left him for. He also described in detail how he has no other prospects in life and is completely reliant on his wife. I mean, she makes all the money, she owns the house, she pays for his health insurance. It's a little bit more than "yeah we're cool and happy and you should take that at face value." You'd have to ignore everything else about this situation besides OP saying he's fine including the times he's said he's not fine and is just dealing with it.

You're attempting to paint the general discourse as irrational and increasingly paranoid but I see a lot of people who are actually just concerned about OP and want to give their advice. I don't think anyone is saying they are a perfect judge or anything like that. I don't get your post.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why you guys are so interested in whether OP is on the mortgage or not. If they are legally married and have children the house is just as much his as it is his wife's regardless of whose name is on the loan papers or title.

But HE doesn't seem to believe that. That's the problem.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
And like others have said, get a lawyer or someone to help you through the divorce. You're owed part of the finances. I'm gonna make an assumption that she's trying to get you to not rock the boat to maximize her financial position.

It's absolutely this.

She'll use the fact that he's staying there without contributing as a factor in favoring her when it comes to splitting assets. Right now, he's useful to look after the kids and for them to do couple stuff, but a time will come when either his ex or her partner will start to bring up why he's still there and why he's not moving on.

It's inevitable. She won't pay for school, if she claims as such, ask her to make the offer official in a contract, OP will see how quickly the situation changes when.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This thread was NEVER going to be supportive of this idea. For a start poly relationships aren't seen in good light here as most people don't get how they can exist because THEY could never allow it. They will always respond badly to situations like these.

Add on top of that your kinda listless tone in describing all of this. Now this could be down to your depression (which you have described more as the thread has grown) and might just be how you write in general, but add it to the aforementioned and people are assuming you're not taking care of yourself, that there's no self-love here, that you're allowing your wife and their partner to just dictate all of this and you're being strung along.

Nobody here has ANY idea of how you are treated by your ex-wife daily. They have no idea how you get along with their partner. They have no idea how you gel as a group, or how your kids are handling it... beyond your listless descriptions, which I'm sure you can see are not painting it in a good light.

Why did you make the thread? Were you aware of how this forum reacts to poly and other similar alternative relationships lifestyles? Are you aware if the consitantly pretty awful dating and relationship advice people give here?

This thread was never going to be anything but the way it is now, and you have helped steer it there.

Even if this situation works out, even if all parties remain happy, loved, respected, and the kids are taken care of and aren't negatively affected, even then you still need to take better care of yourself.

Meds and therapy is a good first step. Being able to go to the gym consistently for someone like yourself who has struggled with taking steps like these is pretty big... but you need to look to your future too.

There are going to be three of you soon, three people who can help share the responsibility of the housework and childminding. And while you are the stay at home parent, they could both provide a little extra help to give you time to do things like learn a new skill.

I worked most of my life in dead end low paid jobs and I was miserable. My depression went mostly untreated and I just couldn't find the energy to better myself. It wasn't until a few years ago that I forced myself out of that rut and taught myself a new skill (web development) and now I can work freelance when it suits me and earn very good money.

You could do something similar, you should absolutely try to discover something you have an interest in to learn that can be applied to the working world but also something that will give you a sense of self-worth, something you can be proud of.

And as you work on your depression you will likely rediscover your own desires for things, including the desire to be with someone. It should be good to be on your way toward building something just for yourself when this happens.

I only you know for sure if the situation is stable for you, if it is though you still absolutely need to build something just for you. Something that, should you wish or need to be, you can use to support yourself, your children, and potentially build a brand new life on top of.

That should be your priority imo, for you AND your children. And if, as you have reasoned, your wife and their partner truly do support you, they will help you with this.

And, if they don't, if they are secretly plotting to kick you out as most people here are telling you, if they see you trying to build something they might still be supportive because it would make the eventual split easier for everyone.

Whatever you do, OP, do not just sink into this and become reliant on your ex-wife. Even if they will support you forever, that is not a healthy place to be for you.

The time has come for you to really push yourself to build something just for yourself, even if you end up staying there for the rest of your life, this is something essential all of us need.

There are plenty of people responding with advice or reactions that don't include writing off poly-ships. I'm capable of parsing the difference and offering advice without shutting on poly folks that make it work.

But this isn't a poly situation. It's a monogamy that OP is now excluded from. Seems like the moment his wife went out with the old flame, she was ready to break up. So I suspect the "poly suggestion" was more of a pretense and that she was making some selfish decisions that honestly would have been better if she'd just divorced you first. The law doesn't recognize poly relationships for a lot of reasons. Historically, polygamy has been the more prevelant form and nearly always existed as a messed up power dynamic where one guy had a harem.

if OP's wife had wanted to have a monogamous relationship with another woman, she should have divorced OP first. Doing the polygamous experiment was clearly just a stepping stone to sleeping exclusively with someone else. That's the selfish bit here, and it has nothing to do with polyamory.

Op, I hope you take some of the legal and self care tips provided here. You don't have to hang around and clean house for her and her new GF. You can still see the kids and even have them half the time. But you need to get some legal advice, and get yourself a place to call your own. Don't subject yourself to living in what I imagine would be humiliating circumstances. That's not good for you or your family

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is he seems to believe he isn't entitled to anything and while he's being made promises about things they'll do for him in the future, they are literally just empty promises right now.

He's incapable or unwilling to seek professional help with anything. At least if he'd speak to a lawyer, it'd help to make him seem interested in his future.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Maybe they can be healthy, but yeah, none of the poly people I know (admittedly a small sample size of 3 different throuples/quadrouples) exhibit any sort of signs of a healthy relationship. In all of them, it just seems to have multiplied their problems exponentially per person involved. My cousin pressured/gaslit her now-ex husband into such a relationship with two other people, and they went from functional (maybe boring) monogomy to completely batshit polyenmity in about a year. They're divorced, no longer speaking, and even the two additions to their love square mutually hate each other. It would have been healthier if my cousin and her ex had just started with the divorce and just fucked other people.

All of that is not to say that monogamy is a sure bet, either. I guess I just mean to say that polygamy/polyamory just takes all the shit, drama, and hard-ass work that maintaining a relationship with one person takes and multiplies it by adding more individuals with conflicting needs and desires, and introduces competition, jealousy, and conflict above and beyond the amount in a traditional monogamous relationship.

I don't know that i'd consider it a great post. It's a personal perspective, and to me reading it it sounds like those friends you know exacerbate each others issues to the Nth degree. I know some with very successful poly relationships, and others who have done it incorrectly (myself included). I'd like to say that if you're viewing others polyamorous relationships from a monogamous perspective it may be biased. Honestly everyone needs to be more educated on how to make them successful. It's entirely possible to take a successful monogamous relationship into a polyamorous lifestyle if done with a great amount of mutual respect and understanding of your own and your partners emotions. In regards to the OP, it sounds toxic and unbalanced - The wife effectively owns their whole world. To me that creates all sorts of problems financially and emotionally, for starters. They're currently living on an allowance from someone who is trying to divorce them. I understand there is children involved, but good god have your wife hire a nanny so you can get a job and get your own place before shit comes crashing down.

Can we stop shitting on poly relationships? Like I said, I know people in happy non-traditional relationships.

Agreed. While I support giving the OP flak because of the nature of the situation, I hope readers understand this is not a sustainable polyamorous relationship. I might think it was more reasonable if there was some sort of BDSM situation in play, but from everything i've read that isn't the case in any way. OP needs more self respect because the situation reads as humiliating. I'm not sure how you'd seek out a new partner at all given the situation.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you are worth more than this. I want you tell you that out loud. "I am worth more than this. I can do this. I am worthy of having a mutually loving relationship."

I also want to tell yourself this: "The arrangement now will not stay the same." The closer your ex and the girl become the more they will want to be in a home without you. You are the variable that is unnecessary. You've tried explaining and justifying your existence in the home and I'm telling you that you are not necessary and they will get rid of you. There is only a matter of when. In fact, she may already be talking to lawyers and setting things up to screw you over. Almost every single post in this, hundreds of people, are telling you this. Listen to us.

I assume you're alone during the day. Research lawyers and make a plan. Start pulling as much cash as you can without being suspicious. Sell whatever unnecessary valuables you can to create a small fund. If she notices, talk about trying a minimalist lifestyle for mental well being or something. You can always buy it again. It will be easier to move with less stuff too.

It would be best to move with your mom. I don't know the reason why it would be a bad situation, but unless it's abuse I would go back, even if it's just for a few months to help you back in your feet while you get a job and a place to live. If not, it will be harder, but you still have to go it because, again, she will leave you even if you don't prepare.

I want to say this again: this will not last and you must prepare yourself. There is no "for the kids" for her. If she really cared, would she be flaunting a relationship like that in front of them? No. She only cares about herself and you will end up screwed over.

I've seen it happen many times to my friends. The relationship is over. It was over the moment she went out with that woman. Stop worrying over her and focus on you. Children want stability, prove you are the stable one to them. You can do it.

I think this is the best advice in the thread, read this, OP.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing normal or healthy about polyamorous relationships.
Utterly bullshit.

I'm in one right now.

My partner and I don't live together, but we're each other's primary partner. We're just like any other couple in that respect, except we also have other partners. I'm not currently seeing anyone else as, quite frankly, I don't have time and I'm working on myself for a while before I meet new people.

My partner was asexual for most of her life and, around five years ago, discovered feelings of sexual desire she didn't know even existed. She had very little sexual contact because of this, and is now exploring this in a healthy way. So she has multiple partners: a man and woman in Germany who she sees a few times a year, and a guy she just met who she is dating and having regular sex with.

She also wants to explore her dom side, among other things, and I think it's wonderful she's getting to experience all of this in safe and healthy environments.

This might seem utterly alien to you, but I have no desires of possession over her. I love her deeply but have no hint of jealously when she tells me about her partners (and we talk about everything, this is something she lets all of them know in advance).

This is, without a doubt, the healthiest and most loving relationship I've ever been in. There is no pretense of ownership, or expectation in terms of what we owe each other. We're both hugely respectful of each other's feelings, we talk openly and honestly about our experiences, and we actively help each other with things like writing our dating profiles, choosing pictures for them, etc...

And, as the only people compatible with this kind of relationship are other poly people, we've met lots of people with the same mindset and seen just how well and how often these things can work out.

The woman who is part of that German couple just came over to stay for the weekend. My girlfriend had a huge project sprung on her and she had to work through it, and both myself and the woman (and some other friends) all came together to help with it. We hung out for 3 days and nights, and it was really fucking awesome.

So, next time you consider making a statement like that, consider that it's your ignorance of how poly relationships work out all the damn time. They're not for everyone, and largely if a couple who has been monogamous decides to move toward this there may be a high failure rate, but don't ignore those who build relationships FROM a poly position, of which there are too many to speak of it the way you just did.

This level of speaking from an ignorant position like you know for certain is dumb as hell, why you'd choose to do that I don't know.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sooner or later they will no longer want you in the house, lawyer up and get as much as you can while you still can.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of people responding with advice or reactions that don't include writing off poly-ships. I'm capable of parsing the difference and offering advice without shutting on poly folks that make it work.

But this isn't a poly situation. It's a monogamy that OP is now excluded from. Seems like the moment his wife went out with the old flame, she was ready to break up. So I suspect the "poly suggestion" was more of a pretense and that she was making some selfish decisions that honestly would have been better if she'd just divorced you first. The law doesn't recognize poly relationships for a lot of reasons. Historically, polygamy has been the more prevelant form and nearly always existed as a messed up power dynamic where one guy had a harem.

if OP's wife had wanted to have a monogamous relationship with another woman, she should have divorced OP first. Doing the polygamous experiment was clearly just a stepping stone to sleeping exclusively with someone else. That's the selfish bit here, and it has nothing to do with polyamory.

Op, I hope you take some of the legal and self care tips provided here. You don't have to hang around and clean house for her and her new GF. You can still see the kids and even have them half the time. But you need to get some legal advice, and get yourself a place to call your own. Don't subject yourself to living in what I imagine would be humiliating circumstances. That's not good for you or your family
I know this is not a poly relationship, I used poly as an example of how this forum is not understanding of alternative relationship lifestyles. And it is not, in general, as is abundantly clear from this this thread and other threads like it.

And I have covered everything else you said and I agree with you, as is clear from my two (I think) posts ITT.

EDIT: updated that post for clarity.

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, OP's relationship isn't polyamarous.

If it were, it'd help explain a lot of his inaction and why he's happy to just hang out until he's booted to the curb.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This thread has been just devastating to read.

I've been perpetually single for awhile now, so my advice isn't worth a tinker's damn. That said, I empathize with you OP and I hope that everything works out for the better. Being a worker in the legal field, I'm also going to parrot the consensus in saying that you should very much consult a divorce attorney to assist you with the transition; if for no other reason than to cover your own ass.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The whole polyamory/unconventional relationship idea is a red herring here. OP is not in a poly relationship. His wife left him for another person. That is the reality that he needs to figure out how to deal with.
I was referring more to Wolfgunblood or anyone taking issue with the idea poly relationships can't work in general. I agree what OP has going on does not seem like a willful poly relationship where all parties have set boundaries and had those discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.