• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
To me it sounds like someone that legitimately does not know what they want or need, not someone being manipulative at all.
I do understand having that confusion but it should have been discussed and resolved far earlier in their relationship; definitely before marriage, kids and homeownership became a factor.
It just responsible to be honest about your feelings, even if they're negative and could be hurtful.

Oct 25, 2017
While this may be a working lifestyle right now, it's unlikely to continue once the kids are independent. theotherMittens should take steps to protect his future financial wellbeing.

For starters, be a real advocate for yourself in the divorce, don't skip getting a lawyer just because you want to "keep it amicable." The state is not going to allow a spouse to just abandon a dependent partner, child support (if you have custody) and alimony are there for exactly this situation. And even if you don't live in a community property state (where the house is marital property, even if your name isn't on the mortgage,) you may still be entitled to a portion of the value of the house if any of your funds have been used to maintain or update the house.

Since you've been married for 10 years, you'll be eligible for half of your ex-spouse's Social Security benefits, but since there are caveats to that, you should still be taking steps to set up your own retirement plans.

Honestly, "hitting the gym" is the last thing you should be worried about.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
She's willing to support me financially until I'm not a stay at home parent anymore. Once the kids go to school I have to get a job. That is either two months or a year and two months, depending on how potty training goes.

Use the job as an opportunity for a happier life.

Also, like stated above, fight for yourself when/if you separate. Do not just let someone have everything (unless that's what you REALLY want) because you don't want to put in an effort to get what you might deserve.

One more tip, do NOT tell her what you plan on doing if you start working towards moving on/out. Get all your ducks in a row...don't even hint at it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Damn OP, I guess it might take the sting off a bit to find out your wife is gay and be happy for her, but to stay in the situation after she divorced you and let the new one live there, with kids, is just nuts.

Also "it's nice to have an extra set of hands around the house with these kids" is probably exactly what those two are saying about you

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
The OP doesn't pretend they're a poly couple though. They're broken up. He lives there for the children.

I've seen poly couples and arrangements that move in together and it works fine. And some don't. It's like monogamy except the perception is stacked against it from the beginning. Mono couple breaks up? Oh that's the breaks. That's just how it goes! Poly arrangement breaks up? It was the poly!

Most relationships don't work, until one does!

All I know is that I've seen two friends dissapear into depression after their husband/wife suddenly decided they were monogamous. After 10-12 years of marriage...and they left them for one of their boyfriends/girlfriends. But maybe my sample is super unrepresentative, totally willing to concede that.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to sound like some bitter red pill dude, but:
That's like every relationship that went further than a fling I have ever witnessed and experienced myself.
After a time it's not about you and her anymore, but about establishing and maintaining that "little company" that is your family.

I think women are just wired that way.
Deal with it.

Congratulations. In a thread full of wild... you topped it all.

Tip for you... if you have to open with I don't want to sound like some bitter red pill dude... keep it to yourself

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the state of men in 2019? Unbelievable. You know how little she thinks of you to have the guts or little shame to bring her new lover to the house you guys once shared? Lord.

It's the state of men who have no sense of self worth and have zero respect for themselves and how others treat them.

OP, this is just embarrassing. I don't know what's causing these issues where you don't value yourself and are happy to just sit around while you're essentially humiliated on a daily basis, but you need to work through them and build a life for yourself. Stop hanging around like an unpaid nanny where you have no agency and you're literally at the whims of how your ex and her new partner feel on any given day.

What are you going to do when they decide they want you out? Or they decide to sell up and move? Have you done anything to ready yourself for what's next?

OP
OP
theotherMittens
Jul 20, 2018
Damn OP, I guess it might take the sting off a bit to find out your wife is gay and be happy for her, but to stay in the situation after she divorced you and let the new one live there, with kids, is just nuts

She isn't gay, but I do think she may be homoromantic. That would explain why she thought she couldn't be in love like this, because she had primarily dated men in the past with only a couple women in the mix. But that's just a guess

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry TC, I just feel sad about your situation. I understand some of your sentiments about keeping things right for the kids and whatnot. But my two cents- you need to create your own life now. That means moving out, finding your own space, a job, etc. If it means you have to take some charity from mom in the short term, so be it. But work towards your own independence, taking whatever time you need.

All while doing this, you don't have to damage anything with your kids, or do you have to make things ugly with your ex. Keep it civil. But you are married and have rights. You speak of a house that's only in her name- if this asset was acquired while you are married, barring any prenup agreements, you have some ownership there (generally 50/50 for all assets acquired while you were married), sure maybe you don't want to "take" the house, but this could maybe rights to some assistance on her part for you to find somewhere else to live.

Maybe you don't want to call it this, but she is the unfaithful party here. You didn't ask for the end of this relationship. But alas, its happening, and you need to recognize your own self worth. You have rights and ownership in things here. And asking for this isn't being petty or a jerk or something. You do need to get legal representation ASAP so you can claim what is owed to you as a result of this 10 year partnership that has yielded many children. If the wife wants to move on, so be it, but you don't need to be a doormat. You all can be civil and even friendly, but you do need to stick up for yourself.

You all can go on to be a functioning three person unit where your children are concerned, but you have the right to your own life, and to your own place to live- free of watching your ex "move on" day in and day out, and the right to form your own relationships away from them, while still being just as much of a parent to your children. Yes, the kids would have two homes and that sucks, but it happens all the time, and most come out of it just fine (and far better when they have two happy parents).

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I could only get through the first page.

Get a damn lawyer immediately and start working on an exit plan to coincide with the divorce filing.

DO NOT AGREE TO A DIVORCE UNDER ANY ASSUMPTION THAT THINGS WILL STAY CIVIL.

At some point you WILL get forced out.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
There are not three unhappy parties. I'm upset for now but I'll be okay. I already got used to a platonic relationship with my wife once and now I just have to again under different circumstances. My wife is happy to finally be with somebody she's really in love with. Her girlfriend is happy to be with the person she's regretted not being with for the past twelve years. She was happy to be with her even when I still was.

Outside of romance my wife and I have always gotten along very well and we still do. We're not fighting or hostile towards each other and we're not creating a toxic environment for the children. Like you I don't understand why nobody in this thread thinks a non-traditional living arrangement can't be healthy for the kids.
Probably because it sounds like you've got nothing going for you. If and when they kick you out, I don't see what you're going to do. No matter how perfect the situation seems now, someone is going to tire of the third wheel. I told my older sister for years, get yourself to a place where you don't rely solely on the person you're with, but she never did and now she's constantly hitting me up for cash.

You're just kind of there to watch the children from the sound of it. You don't really come across as an equal partner in any of this. My best suggestion would be to see a therapist and at least consult a lawyer.

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
She isn't gay, but I do think she may be homoromantic. That would explain why she thought she couldn't be in love like this, because she had primarily dated men in the past with only a couple women in the mix. But that's just a guess
This is perplexing to me. Is she having sex with her new partner? I guess you'll find out soon enough when you're all under the same roof.

You said she used to have sex with you, and even initiate, so she's probably not asexual. So you're assuming she has sexual desire for men but is incapable of loving them, whereas she can love a woman, but not desire her? These are some serious hoops you're jumping through.

She just hates having sex with men, can't emotionally love a man and loves having sex with women and has discovered a deep emotional love with a woman.
Or this. Which made me laugh.

OP
OP
theotherMittens
Jul 20, 2018
She just hates having sex with men, can't emotionally love a man and loves having sex with women and has discovered a deep emotional love with a woman.

She doesn't hate having sex with men. She doesn't even hate having sex with me. I do believe that all the things I said in OP were factors in why our sex life fell apart. They just weren't factors in general affection as I had thought.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
She doesn't hate having sex with men. She doesn't even hate having sex with me. I do believe that all the things I said in OP were factors in why our sex life fell apart. They just weren't factors in general affection as I had thought.
You said your sex life dropped off after a few months (not exactly healthy) and that it was better during that period because she was also having sex with her lover.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That's like every relationship that went further than a fling I have ever witnessed and experienced myself.
After a time it's not about you and her anymore, but about establishing and maintaining that "little company" that is your family.

Deal with it.

I know you're already banned, but for the record it needs to be said that I think you're full of shit. Neither of us were going to be happy going forward, and we both deserved to be with people who would make us happy in the long run. She's still an incredibly smart, funny person, and I don't think her decision is evidence against those things. Take the time you have off to take a step back and think twice about jumping from somebody sharing a highly personal event to "all women amirite fellow mans?"

Because yeah, you do sound like a bitter as fuck red piller.

OP
OP
theotherMittens
Jul 20, 2018
You said your sex life dropped off after a few months (not exactly healthy) and that it was better during that period because she was also having sex with her lover.

No. We started having sex a lot again before her girlfriend contacted her. We initially stopped having sex because she was constantly dehydrated and starving because of her Chron's disease (she had an atypical symptom where she'd throw up anything she tried to eat for up to a week sometimes). She lost over 100 pounds, was in and out of the hospital, and eventually had her colon removed. That will do shit to your body and your sex drive.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Deal with it.

What in tarnation

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
No. We started having sex a lot again before her girlfriend contacted her. We initially stopped having sex because she was constantly dehydrated and starving because of her Chron's disease (she had an atypical symptom where she'd throw up anything she tried to eat for up to a week sometimes). She lost over 100 pounds, was in and out of the hospital, and eventually had her colon removed. That will do shit to your body and your sex drive.
Call me cynical but it still leaves a few years gaps between you two enjoying sex with each other.

OP
OP
theotherMittens
Jul 20, 2018
Hang on. She's in love with a woman and she likes fucking women, correct? And she didn't previously think she was capable of loving a man?

Sounds like she's at least bi. And so are you.

Yes but the implication of saying she's gay or a lesbian, as many in the thread have been saying, is different than that. She's always just said she's not straight and doesn't bother with labels beyond that

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[
There are not three unhappy parties. I'm upset for now but I'll be okay. I already got used to a platonic relationship with my wife once and now I just have to again under different circumstances. My wife is happy to finally be with somebody she's really in love with. Her girlfriend is happy to be with the person she's regretted not being with for the past twelve years. She was happy to be with her even when I still was.

Outside of romance my wife and I have always gotten along very well and we still do. We're not fighting or hostile towards each other and we're not creating a toxic environment for the children. Like you I don't understand why nobody in this thread thinks a non-traditional living arrangement can't be healthy for the kids.
Don't be so naive brother they're going to kick you out. They're using you and it's not good for no One brother

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
Can we safely shut this thread down? I think its clear OP needs to do a few things

1. See a lawyer, you're owed half the house,
2. Work towards a career ASAP, in anything, any place.
3. Prepare for things to blow up at any minute.
4. Lastly, see a therapist.

What other advice can we offer? There is no way for OP to have a happy life being third wheel. He needs his own life.

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Yeah dude, they are going to toss you out like yesterday's trash once they get more comfortable with their new relationship and start to want the intimacy that entails. I've seen this play out before. You need to snap into reality and start making a real game plan.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey. If she's leaving you (romantically, if not physically) to be with her same-sex partner, then the difference between "gay," "bisexual," or even "homoromantic" in Fisty 's comment isn''t really material. His comment still applies to any of those scenarios.

Honestly it sounds like OP is in serious denial based on what hes presenting

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
What in the.....please see a Therapist, do what you have to do to get a job and get the fuck out of that house. Your children will be far better for it first of all, but so will you. They are 100% going to kick you out at some point anyway.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
OP, get a lawyer, and get yourself in therapy ASAP.

Living with that little self value isnt healthy and has lead to this clusterfuck that your life is right now. And get the lawyer because she will kick you out soon and can make it so you dont have any custody of your children.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but the implication of saying she's gay or a lesbian, as many in the thread have been saying, is different than that. She's always just said she's not straight and doesn't bother with labels beyond that
It's fine if she doesn't want to bother with labels, but we need labels, however imprecise they may be, to conceptualize and discuss things. In this situation, "bisexual" broadly describes your ex-wife. Fisty's comment still applies (although I don't think I entirely agree with it*) regardless even if he chose a more imprecise term than a more precise one.

I wouldn't describe it as "nuts" as Fisty does, but it certainly demands that you take steps to protect your future self - financially, mentally, and physically.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
OP, I kind of feel like you just need to grow up a bit here. First and foremost, you need to start looking for a job and/or investigate potentially going to school/learning a trade. You then need to make a plan to formally end things and move out. Your kids are obviously important, but unless you start taking control of your life, you are going to continue to be abused and replaced slowly over time. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but if you aren't proactive about bettering yourself, the future isn't going to be bright.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
The thread was never about the living situation, but I felt describing it was important to explaining how I feel. Yes, I am still in love with my wife. No, she was never in love with me. That's the only part of this that's got me down. And I'd have to deal with that whether I was living with her or not.

You can deal with that a lot better if you don't live with her and the new lover

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
There's nothing normal or healthy about polyamorous relationships. As soon as that becomes an acceptable thought in your mind and it certainly when it becomes a real thing in your life, things are going to get real messed up for you and everyone involved.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Lol @ everyone here immediately thinking they can judge the Situation better than the OP. "Yeah, so, thid Situation sucks but we are all pretty happy all things considered, treat each other well, Support each other..."

"LAWYER UP AND STOP GETTING TRAMPLED ON"

"No, no, its cool, we actually..."

"MOVE OUT AND SUE HER FOR HALF HER MONEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING"

"But this Situation is working for us so why should I..."

"SHE WILL LITERALLY STAB YOU IN YOUR SLEEP OP SHE IS A SIREN OF THE DEEP WHO WILL EAT YOUR STILL BEATING HEART BELIEVE ME I HAD SEX ONCE AND AM A PERFECT JUDGE FOR THESE KINDS OF SITUATIONS ALSO HIT THE GYM"

Nov 17, 2017
The depression has been with me long before I knew my wife, and is still improving from where I was even a year ago. I've had suicidal thoughts in the past, but now even when I have a knowable reason for being sad I'm not thinking about that at all. I'm improving.

The comments about what it would be like if I left weren't about me being unhappy about this. I can be fine living like the regardless of what my life might be like otherwise. Saying I'd hate that doesn't mean I hate this.

The thread was never about the living situation, but I felt describing it was important to explaining how I feel. Yes, I am still in love with my wife. No, she was never in love with me. That's the only part of this that's got me down. And I'd have to deal with that whether I was living with her or not.
Yes, your depression may have been a thing before you knew your wife but it clearly is still a thing. It doesn't matter where it originated, you're dealing with it now and it will effect how you handle new developments in your life, including this one. Your passive, almost lackadaisical attitude towards your situation and whatever happens to you just screams depression to me. You should not be describing your life as something that "you can be fine" with. You should be happy with where you are with your life or at least striving towards a place where you can be. I'm sorry but your posts seem to betray your intentions when you say you're good with how things are but then list a bunch of reasons for why you're completely reliant on your wife in basically all facets of life. It gives the feeling that you can't leave (not easily) or you think you have no options and so the best choice in your mind is to be at peace with whatever happens to you. Even with the possibility that your ex-wife and her new partner kick you out, you just seem like you'll roll with the punches and move in with your mom and just live that life without trying to change anything. Anyway, it's good that you're getting therapy. I think that's the most proactive thing you're doing to take care of yourself right now so I wish you good luck with that. A therapist is going to have a lot more helpful things to say than any of us here ever could.

As for the bolded, I think it would be far easier for you to "deal" with your unhappiness regarding your unrequited love for your ex-wife who never loved you if you weren't being reminded of that fact every day by not only seeing her but seeing her with someone she truly loves. This is why people often recommend taking time to yourself away from an ex after a breakup - because getting over someone, getting over your feelings towards them is not easily done by continually putting yourself in close contact with them. Now of course, she is the mother of your children. You can't just cut her out of your life completely and I'm not saying you should but giving yourself some space to heal and grow as an individual, to be become someone who can stand on their own two feet will not only make you happier in the long run but also a better father to your children. I think it's a bad idea to reduce your feelings to something that must be dealt with. You need to love and care about yourself if you expect to give the same to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.