• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at this treasure trove of well respected individuals in the games industry representing at the DICE awards

https://twitter.com/official_aias/status/1095055810709774336?s=21

Forget Christoph Waltz who openly mocks video games, I want Greg Kasavin, Troy Baker, Amy Hennig and Mark Cerny there on game's biggest and brightest night.

Edit: Mods can you please correct spelling in thread title

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
But nobody outside of the world of games knows who these people are and Jef needs famous people to get eyeballs and ad dollars for his big commercial

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at this treasure trove of well respected individuals in the games industry representing at the DICE awards

https://twitter.com/official_aias/status/1095055810709774336?s=21

Forget Christoph Waltz who openly mocks video games, I want Greg Kasavin, Troy Baker, Amy Hennig and Mark Cerny there on game's biggest and brightest night.

Edit: Mods can you please correct spelling in thread title

Ninja and Pokimane are what the kids want to see though.

Kinda gives those awards a lot of heft with all those industry people

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if people who are currently employed by big companies are suitable to present a supposedly neutral game show.

I would rather see Adam Sessler (even though he is retired), the guys from EZA, Giant Bomb and the like.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I kinda thought the Game Awards were like the golden globes for games (awards given out by press) and that Dice was analagous to the Oscars (awards given out by artists to artists i.e., an "academy").

So the difference in presenters kind of makes sense to me.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Yeah, but Christoph Waltz sells the show as a mainstream one so it can attract advertisers. It is all about the money at the end.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
VGAs are meant to attract as many as possibly of general audiences. These names aren't as recognizable to Joe Everyguy You can't blame him.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Morgan Webb is still around? I thought she would have left the gaming industry or something after G4.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Ratings beget advertising, beget the entire show even existing and happening every year.

If you want to throw a million dollars at Geoff to mAintAIN gAMinG's iNteGriTY then by all means do so. Otherwise I imagine he can do without such backseat giant expensive awards show driving.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am into gaming enough that I post on a message board about it. I dont know who 80% of those people are.

I would have liked to be in the meeting room when Geoff is pitching an expensive awards show and every presenter elicits a "who?" question. :D

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
the game awards is fine. The presenters are inconsequential to the real importance:

Trailers.

System Wars.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Mark Cerny is both captivating and terrifying.
paradise_cernynijt1.gif

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The DICE Awards have always been the closest thing to an awards show that actually matters in the game industry.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Why would The Game Awards want to be The DICE Awards when The DICE Awards already exists?

They both have their place and Geoff has done a very good job for the past three years now, putting on a good show each year.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
But why? I mean, if TGW is so popular then it also matters.

Because, like the Oscars, they're industry peers recognizing the work of other industry peers. The people who do the same work telling you your work is the best is one of the highest possible forms of validation and compliment in creative work. TGA is an important PR/marketing opportunity, but that's a very different kind of "matter." I should probably have said "meaningful" instead.

It's the difference between winning Best Actor at the Oscars and winning Best Actor at the MTV Movie Awards. Both are good things, but guess which one's going on the mantel?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Morgan Webb, takes me back to the old Screen Savers days, the Windows expert. That show helped me a lot with PC related issues and stuff.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is nobody really cares about the presenters to begin with. It doesn't really matter if Pitbull or Tim Schafer shows up presenting the award for Game of the Year. People tune into The Game Awards for the announcement trailers, not the awards themselves.

Not trying to downplay the huge amount of work Geoff does every year. It's just clear to me that people aren't interested in an award show.