• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Because, like the Oscars, they're industry peers recognizing the work of other industry peers. The people who do the same work telling you your work is the best is one of the highest possible forms of validation and compliment in creative work. TGA is an important PR/marketing opportunity, but that's a very different kind of "matter." I should probably have said "meaningful" instead.

It's the difference between winning Best Actor at the Oscars and winning Best Actor at the MTV Movie Awards. Both are good things, but guess which one's going on the mantel?

You put the Oscars on too high of a pedestal. And by the hyperbolic comparison to the MTV Movie Awards, you put The Game Awards on too low of one.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
ethereal whispers in the distance

I aM aDaM sEsSlEr
AnD i Am MoRgAn WeBb
AnD yOu ArE wAtChInG xPlAy

nPYUsxh.gif

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
why do people keep expecting the game awards to become some high-class thing

just enjoy it for the amusing and enjoyably awkward mini-E3 it is

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah the commercial aspect of TGAs has always been disappointing. I guess the DICE awards are the Oscars (the real ones) and TGAs are the Golden Globes/MTV awards?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Jordan Vogt-Roberts (don't think he makes games), I'll pass. Funny that they misspelled his name though. Mark Cerny, the creator of Knack has also presented on TGA:s.

It's hilarious how hurt some gamers get when someone doesn't share their excitement of the hobby. Or even worse, dare to poke fun at it openly mock it.
The problem is nobody really cares about the presenters to begin with. It doesn't really matter if Pitbull or Tim Schafer shows up presenting the award for Game of the Year. People tune into The Game Awards for the announcement trailers, not the awards themselves.

Not trying to downplay the huge amount of work Geoff does every year. It's just clear to me that people aren't interested in an award show.
Well you're not entirely wrong. Hence TGA:s gathers interest from the gaming community while BAFTA:s, DICE Awards and Game Developers Choice Awards really don't.

Last edited:

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I kinda thought the Game Awards were like the golden globes for games (awards given out by press) and that Dice was analagous to the Oscars (awards given out by artists to artists i.e., an "academy").

So the difference in presenters kind of makes sense to me.
Nice man, came in to post exactly this.