• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So since ResetERA hasn't been working on Chrome for a large portion of the time since the big update, I've been relegated to using Internet Explorer at work. I'm not using Firefox because my HDD was wiped by IT because of something they couldn't figure out (lol) and I don't have free access to install stuff.

I've been away from IE for several years, and holy cow is it awful.

It's slower
It's ugly and outdated looking
It's JERKY as hell. Scrolling is a goddamn nightmare.

Just an overall terrible user experience. I feel like I'm actively fighting the browser.

I'm legitimately shocked it's this bad. I haven't touched Edge, and I don't have plans to do so. Especially since this is a temporary issue.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Era works fine on Chrome for me as well. Did your work update Chrome?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I've been browsing on Chrome since the update and it works fine. Did you clear out your Chrome cache?

Is it a Windows 10 machine? Use edge instead if it is. You can also get the portable version of Firefox from portableapps

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I only use IE for weird Oracle or business apps. Chrome is becoming today's IE with bloat and stagnation, and Google keeps killing the existing UI for mobile - bookmark manager is a piece of shit now.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I use edge when necessary and it's fine. I actually use that more often than not on my surface.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Well you should know Edge is moving to Chromium, as if Google needed any more browser market share.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Is it really that much better?

This whole Edge/IE thing is just bizarre.

It's like if Coke came out with a better beverage called Cock, and it had almost exactly the same can design and logo.
Edge runs on a totally different engine and is being actively developed as Microsoft's main browser. There hasn't been any significant work done on IE since 2015 and it's only shipped with Windows 10 for compatibility purposes with old ass enterprise websites and whatnot.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Only use IE for one specific site for work that won't work on Edge(it's a Hewlett Packard application so I blame them). Other than that I wasn't aware that people actually still used it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
FYI Microsoft recently said they'll stop working on Edge's engine and use Chrome's instead:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/6/18128648/microsoft-edge-chrome-chromium-browser-changes
I know, but that doesn't change the fact they'll still be actively working on the browser as a whole. There's more to a browser than just the engine. See Brave vs Chrome vs Opera vs Vivaldi.

Web developers around the world are rejoicing.
Eh, Edge is already good at following standards. The only browser that causes me trouble professionally is IE11 and to get rid of that we'd need to upgrade every computer in the world off of Windows 7.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edge is the way forward for now I think, not sure what they've done to chrome but it magically turns in to a RAM hog

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah whenever I have to use Legacy systems at work that only work in IE I'm like oh hi 2009 I remember you

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
We still use IE at work because our software still supports it so we still have to test on it. You'd be amazed how many companies still run old versions of IE. We got a lot of complaints when we stopped supporting IE 10.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Edge is the native browser for 10 right? Why would they even have IE still in there? When 10 first came out I thought IE evolved in to Edge but no they made a new browser but left their old one in there for some reason.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
We still use IE at work because our software still supports it so we still have to test on it. You'd be amazed how many companies still run old versions of IE. We got a lot of complaints when we stopped supporting IE 10.

I hear you. IE is a security nightmare though. Some IE versions are only mostly still living because of some organization internal requirements. The sooner those companies will migrate away from it, the better.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Edge is the native browser for 10 right? Why would they even have IE still in there? When 10 first came out I thought IE evolved in to Edge but no they made a new browser but left their old one in there for some reason.
Edge doesn't support ActiveX and there's a bunch of specific sites and apps that were developed 10+ years ago that need it.

How does a move to chromium give Google a bigger market share? This doesn't make any sense.
It's not "market share" per se, but it does mean that a project that is owned and primarily worked on by Google employees powers most people browsing the web. It's mostly a concern at the theoretical level right now though imo

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've honestly never had a RAM issue with Chrome. I have ten tabs open and my RAM usage is at 500mb. I'm beginning to think it's some meme or something
It seems to happen when chrome is just idle in the background, the computer becomes sugglish and you look at task manager and see chrome is the cause, it just sucks resources like a leach

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It seems to happen when chrome is just idle in the background, the computer becomes sugglish and you look at task manager and see chrome is the cause, it just sucks resources like a leach
Ah, maybe that's it. I always close it when I'm done. And I never have more than 10 tabs open

Edge doesn't support ActiveX and there's a bunch of specific sites and apps that was developed 10+ years ago that need it.
They need to update their shit, then. We can't be expected to keep compatibility around shit forever

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My Nexus browser doesn't even runs anymore!

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this on social media earlier

4feWwl8.jpg

collige

Oct 31, 2017
They need to update their shit, then. We can't be expected to keep compatibility around shit forever
That's not the way the world works. Microsoft's bread and butter for Windows is commercial usage so it's in their best interest to keep those people happy. If a company is faced with a choice between "spend a bunch of time and money to upgrade something that still works" and "don't upgrade to Windows 10", they'll go with the latter. Keeping the old executable around hurts no one.