• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Ok I pre-bought My Time at Portia on Switch, and my friend pre-bought it on PS4. At midnight she was able to start playing as the game unlocked for her on PSN. So I checked my icon on Switch, and nope, says it's not available until the 16th, even though it's the 16th.

Is there any legit explanation as to why Nintendo isn't unlocking new games at midnight, while others are? Ridiculous.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Some games unlock at midnight, some around noon. It's weird and non-sensical.

To make matters worse, Portia was even a midnight release in the NoE region.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
On the Italian eShop, games unlock at midnight. At least retail games; big indies also release at midnight, while smaller ones vary.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Publishers set the unlock times. Games can be set to unlock at midnight on switch, e.g. most (all?) big Nintendo releases

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps there is confusion with setting a release date for 12 midnight vs 12 noon?

That or publishers suck

OP
OP
MetalBoi

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It's the same game, only on different systems. Would the game have different publishers on different systems in this case?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has nothing to do with that. The publisher sets the time.

First party games always unlock at the correct time (ET) but may take a few minutes.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember this coming up for Pic-a-Pix on the EU eShop, which didn't unlock till about 3pm CET. The publisher said on Twitter that they were told this was the "usual time that games go live".

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
You should be yelling at Sony for allowing your friend to play the game before you. When you point a finger there's three more fingers pointing back at you.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
While OP's issue is definitely a minor one, it would be interesting if PSN maybe allows publishers to set unlock times relative to the local timezone (or the timezone of your regional PSN Store / eShop), while Nintendo only allows for a single, global, unlock time.

So PSN might allow for "unlock at midnight", and the eShop only for "unlock at midnight Pacific Time".

Because it does sound kind of weird, if the same publisher decided to set the same game to unlock at a different time on two platforms.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Yeah it varies by publisher. Nintendo's games unlock at midnight EST, other games unlock at PST, Others at 9AM EST. Is the same across all platforms anyway.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
I was disappointed the game didn't unlock when they said it would. Oh well. I waited a long time to play this game on the Switch in general. I'm just so happy to finally have a life sim to enjoy until Animal Crossing releases.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Of the many regular criticisms of Nintendo this generation I find this to be one of the most valid.

There is no reason why all releases shouldn't be unlocked automatically at midnight in the region you purchased from. It's terrible.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's the same game, only on different systems. Would the game have different publishers on different systems in this case?
It's the same publisher, but different platforms don't always have the same unlock timings. Not sure why you think this is specifically a Nintendo thing, when people who buy a lot of digital content and pre-purchase digital content across different platforms all the time will tell you that this is normal. Steam, PSN, XBLM, eShop - same game, same publisher, but different platforms and different regions will have different launch times. Why? It could be a ton of reasons. Paperwork, the individuals handling a certain platform/region, submissions timings, etc. Game publishing is a complex machinery that doesn't have a lot of standardization.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Some games unlock at midnight, some around noon. It's weird and non-sensical.

To make matters worse, Portia was even a midnight release in the NoE region.
Yeah almost all preorders unlock at Midnight in Europe. In the US it seems to mostly just be first party releases.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Remember when we used to have to wait for months for our version of the game?

12 hours ain't shit.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It can be a little annoying, I've had games unlock at 10 PM my time because time zones, and I think I've had some unlock at 12 AM my time, and then some the next morning during the normal store update.

I don't find it to be a huge deal but it would be nice if anything preloadable would be a certain midnight unlock.