• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
67400576_3234788349993743_2327251724672172032_o.jpg

Premiere date: Aug 2nd (it dropped already)
Episode count: 10
Created by: Justin Simien

Cast

MV5BNjdlOTI2Y2MtY2QyOS00ZmI1LWI0ZjEtODA2OWRkNTBhMTcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM4NDc2NzA@._V1_UY317_CR81,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Logan Browning as Samantha White

MV5BNTI5YzM0NWEtOWQxNi00MzkyLWExM2QtYzgzMTQ3ZGE2MzE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Brandon P Bell as Troy Fairbanks

MV5BNGUwZDM3NTEtMzBhNy00M2ZhLTliM2UtNGUyNTlkZmZhZTg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_UY317_CR18,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

DeRon Horton as Lionel Higgins

MV5BMTYwZDZjODUtYWI1NS00Y2RmLWJlMjktYzE0NTRiY2RiZjU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQxNzE4NTM@._V1_UY317_CR19,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Antoinette Robertson as Colandrea "Coco" Conners

MV5BMTg5YTA5ODUtMjdkMy00MDA0LThhOGYtYjZkNjg5YjQ1NjNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgyNzkzMQ@@._V1_UY317_CR119,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

John Patrick Amedori as Gabe Mitchell

MV5BNzk4OGZmNDAtZTg5YS00ZjY5LWEyYWQtMTMwYTUxNGU2ODczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM3NDAyOTQ@._V1_UY317_CR9,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Ashley Blaine Featherson as Joelle Brooks

MV5BMjMwMjY3Mjk0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODAzMzIwOTE@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Marque Richardson as Reggie Green

and Giancarlo Esposito as the narrator
and cast member this season!

Media

Reviews
Still, Dear White People feels newly meandering in its third season. Much like the rough cut of Sam's film, which begins as a powerful collection of humanistic vignettes rather than a well-honed documentary, these episodes offer a boggle of slightly underdeveloped narrative arcs.

Dear White People has never had a problem with an availability of interesting, solid characters, and this season is no exception. The breakdown lies in the show's ability to push forward their individual journeys in a manner that doesn't come off like a free-for-all, but rather like an actual development.

Again, viewed in a vacuum, the third season of Dear White People is a good season of TV. It's just that the previous seasons had me expecting greatness.

metacritic

giphy.gif

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta watch this season after
We switched the show to black Illuminati plots with cliffhanger

White dude pisses me off tho

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Was legit surprised when i opened up netflix and this was there. Had no idea it was coming out today.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
"it's like the third season of a Netflix show" LOL

wait, they're just ditching the order?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Was legit surprised when i opened up netflix and this was there. Had no idea it was coming out today.
I wasn't surprised when I opened up Netflix and it wasn't there (not even under New Releases) and I had to search for it even though I gave the show a đź‘Ť previously. Netflix is horrible at showing me new releases.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
It has always felt like Netflix is trying to bury the show as deep as possible.

These guys must be 40 by now. Are they still playing college kids?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
It has always felt like Netflix is trying to bury the show as deep as possible.

These guys must be 40 by now. Are they still playing college kids?

3 seasons in 3 years. *shrug* Looks like the main cast ranges from 26-34.

I wasn't surprised when I opened up Netflix and it wasn't there (not even under New Releases) and I had to search for it even though I gave the show a đź‘Ť previously. Netflix is horrible at showing me new releases.

Don't you keep shows you watch on your list? It says "New Episodes" in red when a show has a new season.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might watch the whole shit this weekend.

Glad my boo Joelle bout to get that Marvel money.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I keep shows I like on the My List. At least when stuff stealth releases, they update the cover art with that NEW EPISODES label

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Love this show, excited! though y'all are currently harshing my buzz

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Even the positive reviews are kinda negative on this season. Hopefully that doesn't spell the end of the show, but there's no telling with Netflix.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
And of course the new season already has a 3.9 user rating on Metacritic. TRIGGERED!

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
seems like........ a totally different show than it was in season 1
Yeah, it's a pretty big departure. It also takes many episodes to really get started it feels like. I'm still enjoying it enough, just not as much as the first two seasons.

Feels like it finally starts to go somewhere by this episode, glad they finally got the "Samantha's hero isn't what she thought and Jerry Skyler will help her"-portion out of the way, which was pretty obviously happening, and setting up Moses Brown to not be as "perfect" as everyone thinks.
Also, so far not really sure what the season is supposed to be about, not sure I'm digging the super charicature of the LGBT community either, but I guess we'll see where that all goes to

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
just finished episode 5. haarghhhh gotta dump this word vomit even if things do turn around towards the end

the most jarring thing so far is how im not seeing the spirit of the show. this has mostly been a romantic soap romp of all the character (including the damn principal!) with no real race related overarching plot involving them. troy and pastiche is the closest we could've gotten to this but it's such a footnote

however what i really don't understand is the order business or rather, sam and lionel's reaction to it. there was so much build up to this in season 2 it didn't make much sense to me for them to bail out so quick? and why the hell would sam, let alone lionel, be sleeping through any of it??? sam esepcailly came off as way dumb, asking for fooking snacks

i got a loooooooot of thoughts on the characters, conversations, and even the tone itself of the season (while not inherently bad), but im still gonna hold out until i finish the season. tho by this point things REALLY should have picked up already, and i cant say it has

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
apparently they dive more into that this season
They barely did, biggest disappointment this season.

Honestly, this felt like a retrend of Season 2 a lot. I enjoyed quite a bit of it, but at the end of the day, how much the characters moved forward and plots different from what I remember of last season is...questionable at best. They try to make white boyfriend more interesting, which they succeed at, and the gay world of the campus is fun to explore. But the Order plot is paced in such a painstalkingly slow drop of information it hurts.

I do enjoy the opening of first episode and it's relation to the Order, however.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a pretty big departure. It also takes many episodes to really get started it feels like. I'm still enjoying it enough, just not as much as the first two seasons.

Feels like it finally starts to go somewhere by this episode, glad they finally got the "Samantha's hero isn't what she thought and Jerry Skyler will help her"-portion out of the way, which was pretty obviously happening, and setting up Moses Brown to not be as "perfect" as everyone thinks.
Also, so far not really sure what the season is supposed to be about, not sure I'm digging the super charicature of the LGBT community either, but I guess we'll see where that all goes to
This season feels pontless is it's biggest strike againist it

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I won't resub for this season anytime soon, seems pretty average. Shame because I loved season 1 and 2.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel like next season will be killer, they were adjusting to new format here and feeling out the show, and also they cant dodge the order now

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this will be the last season we are getting by all the reactions on how mediocre it is.
not even that, the whole season felt like a closing chapter
gotta wonder if it was known that this would be its last season
i don't expect this to be renewed but id of course be all for it if just to see where it takes itself from here

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it's the last season based on how poor the season was. Really had very little to say, and felt like half a season at best.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying it. Cinematography is still great.
Some parts of the cinematography were really in your face I thought, pulled me straight out, specially in the first episode I think it was with having quite a few shots at an angel.

Didn't think much about any other aspects in the rest of the season though.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Haha these shots at UCLA always get me. That first scene on bruinwalk is me everyday for the past 20 years dodging the people trying to get you to sign something or take a flyer.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Just finished the season. What a huge letdown. If it gets canceled now I won't miss it.

Oct 28, 2017
California
A couple of episodes in, I'm enjoying it but so far not as good as the first two seasons.

I don't like how
they dropped the Order of X thing in the first episode. I was looking forward to that. Unless they pick it up again

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished season 3. Didn't really like the trajectory the show went. Kinda disappointing in general.

Didn't like how they ruined Troy and his white buddy's relationship, they were close in season 2. Also didn't feel like there was enough build up re the Muffy storyline, and it didn't show what happened to the teacher. The minor characters also had way too much screen time. Dunno, hard to pin point where it went wrong exactly but it definitely lost the magic of season one, and even seas 2.

Last edited: