• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The show really didn't work too much for me this season.

I have a few problems, but to keep it simple for now. Without Sam or someone in that role, there's really nothing holding all the characters and their plots together. It doesn't feel like you're ever building to something or creating tension. Actually, almost everyone was in a good place and their conflict was more just minor personal issue.

OK one note and could just be me reading way into something

It seems so messed up that the entirety of the black secret society subplot this season amounted to them using their power ro protect a black professor from sexual assault/harassment charges from a white student. Like... it just makes the entire ordeal seem a bit... iffy for black folks

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5 episodes in and I'm bored compared to the first two seasons. Not liking the format.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
not even that, the whole season felt like a closing chapter
gotta wonder if it was known that this would be its last season
i don't expect this to be renewed but id of course be all for it if just to see where it takes itself from here

I have only watched the first 3 eps, but the movie was shot in what, 2013? it's been 6 years. They can't pretend to be in college much longer.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Jeez they went full on Dutch angles this season, felt like I was watching Thor at times. Sadly it was a very middling season, felt like a slap in the face to near enough have the same cliffhanger as Season 2, just with another character discovering the order instead.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed how this season felt more chill? I like everyone near enough that just spending time with them is fun.
The Order stuff is just a miss, really. Show's strength is the characters, their dialog, and the cinematography. But the Order stuff feels like they're dipping their toe in conspiracy plot material and it's not strong at all. Will always love Giancarlo Esposito so bring him in more, just fix the order stuff or throw it out

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I wish they did a recap of what happened in season 2. Seems like they picked up right where they left off in the 1st episode....and I honestly don't remember what happened.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
Will echo the thoughts that it's not as good as the earlier seasons and it did feel aimless for most of it, but I still thought it was a good watch. Hope Netflix isn't cancel-happy and we get a fourth volume during senior year to properly conclude the series

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Up to episode 8 and it's OK. There's just a lack of focus this season, but maybe that's what their going for in parallel to Sam's story.

There's not enough Sam, but I do appreciate there being more Reggie this season.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 10.

This is fucking weird.

Well, I'm done. I don't think it was terrible, but certainly a dip. I don't think there was enough character interaction this season with the main cast.

I hope that's not it, as it seems a terrible place to end.

Last edited:

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, the conspiracy stuff isn't interesting in the least.
The thing is they keep trying to have their cake and eat it too with the conspiracy thing. They need to either make it a focus or drop it completely, this half measure of it only being important at the beginning and the end of the season just doesn't work.

I liked this season because I liked the new characters, the direction they've gone with the LGBT representation (especially considering the first season...), and because these are talented actors who do a good job. This season's story was a hot mess though, it felt aimless for most of it and it left a lot of plot threads hanging at the end. Like, I was hoping they'd end up touching on Reggie using the app as a crutch to deal with his mental issues, but it's never brought up because it gets swapped out for the Moses story. Gabe being broke, the TA strike, Coco's hallucinations, Coco and Kurt being a secret (which gets brought up by Al, and Troy questions it for a second then... nothing). All of these have like... no resolution.

Maybe being aimless was supposed to be the theme of this season considering where Sam is, but yeah, it just didn't work.

Also I knew from the second his ass showed up that there was gonna be some shit with Moses because... he's played by Blair Underwood.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
The thing is they keep trying to have their cake and eat it too with the conspiracy thing. They need to either make it a focus or drop it completely, this half measure of it only being important at the beginning and the end of the season just doesn't work.

This. They had it in the first ep and the last, basically. It's like they decided later that they wanted to take a detour and then come back to it so they could put it in S4 instead..... or not.

But now DWP the show is latinx characters bitching instead.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Will echo the thoughts that it's not as good as the earlier seasons and it did feel aimless for most of it, but I still thought it was a good watch. Hope Netflix isn't cancel-happy and we get a fourth volume during senior year to properly conclude the series
Yeah, just finished it and the lukewarm reaction here is making me worried about the possibility of more. It did drop in quality, but I feel it went from Undeniably Brilliant to Quite Good. Don't go pulling a One Day at a Time on me again, Netflix.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Should have just killed it after 2. The third season is just bad.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised it got renewed. Guess it must have done pretty well, all things considered.
Even though I felt S3 was a letdown I'm looking forward to seeing how they wrap this up for good.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Surprising renewal considering the quality of the season.
Will be nice with closure though

Oct 28, 2017
California
Yeah I'm surprised as well it got renewed, but I'm glad that it did (but I hope they go back to the individual character episode format).

Still don't like how the season 3 ended, but hopefully they fix those issues.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Finally got around to watching the third season, and I gotta agree with the general sentiment here: it was really disappointing, and far from the quality of the previous two seasons.

I don't get why they dropped the character driven format in favor of something much looser. Many because they had too many characters now and didn't know how to serve them all?

Brook took a lot of space too, for some reason, as did Lionel's new supporting cast. I missed a lot of the Black Caucus scenes, which lead to the cast not being together enough (they did play Mafia, though, and that's when I realized what I was missing).

Not a lot to discuss, it lacked focus and character drama, I wouldn't have been mad if the show stopped there, but maybe they can improve for the final season.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I finally watched this. Yea, easily the weakest season thus far.

What's sad is that I was actually rather enjoying it, but then you reach the unsatisfying end and realize that almost everyone's narrative arcs were underserved or outright unfinished. Even stuff like the Moses subplot. So in turn it just soured me on the whole thing.

And omg, fuck off with the secret society shit already if you're not actually gonna delve into it. They did the same shit in S2

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
anyone check out the new season yet? I'm still trying to catch up on The Chair and Sex Education, so I haven't gotten the chance to yet.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
gotta be honest I fell off the show a few episodes into last season. Maybe I'll try again not watching much these days anyway

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Season 3 didn't interest me at all with the direction the season 2 finale went. I'm hoping season 4 can be a rebound somewhat critically. That could convince me back. When this show was good, it was really fucking good.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I still need to finish s3. I forget why I didn't. I think the ep format changed? Also was not a big fan of the secret society thing. It got a little goofy.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Hm...just watched the first episode. Still too early to judge but the framing for the season feels gimicky and the musical segments are 😬

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched the first 3 episodes and Ive enjoyed it. Netflix definitely just dropped the final season like that with no promotion.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
WTF? How did I only just found out there's a S4 and it's out now?! I assume the show got cancelled.