• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mother just took her own life.

I literally cannot even handle this. What do I do?

I'm not even religious I can't cling to hope I'll see her again.

I wish I could tell her that she was the biggest reason I haven't done the same thing. And I'm not going to especially after dealing with how hurtful this is.

What do we do era? I don't even know you all but I feel I can talk openly since I don't

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for your loss.

Were it me, I'd grab my closest nearest friend(s), go to a bar, and drink heavily whilst trying to focus on the good memories.

Dunno if that's a good idea for everyone though, just what I think I'd do.

Maktokious

Nov 23, 2017
Aw jeez. I can't even imagine what you are going through. I will quickly recommend counselling though, whenever I've had 'cannot handle' experiences counselling has always helped me immensely.

You have my condolences, and every wish that everything will be okay again at some point.

I will also recommend to spend minimum amount of time alone, surround yourself with the greatest people in your life to help you through this,

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm so sorry to hear that, OP. I cannot even imagine how hard this is for you.

However, if you need someone to talk to, you are welcome to PM me. Sometimes you just need someone to listen.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry for your loss, wow, I don't even know what to truly say. All I can say is surround yourself with those you love the most, think of great memories and be there for one another. You'll get through this.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Take it one day at a time. Seek help if you need it, mourn for as long as you need to and hopefully surround yourself with as many loved ones as you can for those moments when you don't want to be alone. Sorry for your loss.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
My mother just took her own life.

I literally cannot even handle this. What do I do?

I'm not even religious I can't cling to hope I'll see her again.

I wish I could tell her that she was the biggest reason I haven't done the same thing. And I'm not going to especially after dealing with how hurtful this is.

What do we do era? I don't even know you all but I feel I can talk openly since I don't

Sorry for your loss OP.

The bolded part is I'm glad you feel this

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
From my experience the only thing you can do is to spend (extra) time with your loved ones, especially those who were also close to your mother and talk about her and what made her important to your life. Many tears shed, but healing ones.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. There's literally nothing I can say to make you feel better. I've never had to go though a suicide from anyone close to me.

And I wouldn't say she's in a better place, I'm not religious either, but whatever caused her to take this action can never hurt her again. That's really the only solace you can grasp onto at a time like this.

When my father passed last year, I went to a bar with friends and just chatted about him with them. That's really all you can do. Time does heal it and it might not be today. It might not be 4 years from now. But one day you'll wake up and not feel like shit about it.

For me it was quicker because I kind of saw it coming. He didn't have cancer or anything, but he never took care of himself so it wasn't the biggest of surprises (I was surprised it happened that soon, however). But at the end of the day, I really don't have anything I can say that can help, just that era is here for you.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know, it hurts like hell OP. Extremely sorry for your loss.
Surrounding yourself with loved ones is truly the way to go. Sharing the pain helps more then going through it alone. But overall, only time helps. Not gonna lie to you, one terrible day is going to follow the next one. But it will eventually get better, bit by bit.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Sorry for you loss OP. While not under the same circumstances as you I lost my mother in November after a complication from Open Heart Surgery. I was a complete wreck but what got me through is knowing all that pain I felt meant it was because of how much we both loved each other. Slowly I turned that pain into focusing on my well being since I know my mother wanted me to have a good, happy, and long life. It's almost 8 months since she died and there is not a single day I don't think about her or imagine having a conversation with her about something that occurred. The road to recovering emotionally is long and hard but you just need to focus on the positive memories of your relationship with her. That is what has helped me out the most.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm sorry for your loss, OP. I wish that I knew something to say that would help and make it easier.

Try to take solace in the good times, and keep your chin up.

If you'd like to talk or vent, like many others here I'm just a PM away.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sorry OP. I've gone through loss but not suicide. I can only imagine how this would feel. I'm so sorry.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm so sorry for your loss. Like others have recommended, I would seriously consider counselling. I've been to see several in the past for various things and they are amazing. Sometimes they don't even do anything, they're just a person you can vent to and know it's not going anywhere outside that room - sometimes that's enough.

Wish you all the very best.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing a therapist for a few weeks already know. I had even told him yesterday at the meeting that I was worried about this happening.

Doing better today just... I can't see her again or talk to her and this really sucks :(

Deleted member 33761

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Sorry for your loss. I just lost my mother as well on Saturday. She had cancer and it's been 4 weeks since she was diagnosed. It's hard to get through but if you want to talk feel free to pm me

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for your loss. I just lost my mother as well on Saturday. She had cancer and it's been 4 weeks since she was diagnosed. It's hard to get through but if you want to talk feel free to pm me
My grandma goes in for surgery Tomorrow for breast cancer and was just diagnosed too :(

Oct 25, 2017
All you can do is move forward with a determination to make things better. She brought you into this world and I'm sure she loved you.

Most parents want for their children to be better than them and to succeed where they failed. You living and doing good is probably what your mother wanted for you more than anything. That's the best way you can honor her sacrifice.

Oct 27, 2017
My uncle actually just took his own life this morning. It is shocking and has hurt my family a lot (though no one is angry at him thankfully), but it's helpful to know that whatever they were suffering from has finally ended (my uncle was suffering from terminal cancer and taking care of his wife who had a stroke several years ago and became a completely different person).

I know losing an uncle is completely different than a mother, but just remember to be there for your loved ones and, as cliched as it is, just give it time. It will get better, and eventually you will never think about these hard times and you'll remember all of the good times you had with her.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The worst pain, when you realize it's too late and you couldn't do anything to help.

All I can say is stick in there man. Time will probably be the only thing that helps.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
You have my condolences.

I recently lost my father. I can only reiterate what has already been mentioned above; think of all the good she did and the positives she brought to your life.

There is no easy way through that kind of experience. Make sure to keep good company and get help if you need to.

If you need to chat to someone about it, feel free to PM.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And now I'm back to feeling like shit and pissed and mad and sad and just ugh

Someone has been telling friends of mine about my mother for me, as if I can't fucking do it on my own. I'm LIVID

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the person who was doing so was trying to ease your burden, OP. I would imagine this someone was acting out of compassion.

Sorry for your loss. Be gentle with yourself.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the person who was doing so was trying to ease your burden, OP. I would imagine this someone was acting out of compassion.

Sorry for your loss. Be gentle with yourself.
I don't even know them. How the hell does anyone do that? That is not okay in anyway