• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Sorry for the necrobump, but in the new and actual PSN sale this game and its sequel NG are included.

I like visual novels, and have played games like Phoenix Wright, 999, Hotel Dusk etc etc. Are these games worth the now 50% reduced price?

Bonus question: and what about World End Syndrome, Psycho Pass and Chaoshead? I am eyeing these as wel

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the necrobump, but in the new and actual PSN sale this game and its sequel NG are included.

I like visual novels, and have played games like Phoenix Wright, 999, Hotel Dusk etc etc. Are these games worth the now 50% reduced price?

Bonus question: and what about World End Syndrome, Psycho Pass and Chaoshead? I am eyeing these as wel
Don't worry, a necro bump feels right at home in a horror game thread ;)

DM & NG are both great horror games. They are not as gameplay or puzzle heavy as escape the room games like 999/VLR. You investigate different haunted areas in Ace Attorney fashion and occasionally fight monsters with the items and information you've collected. Like in an RPG, you sometimes have to make a choice which character(s) you want to bring along. Choices like that will influence the story. You can start with either game in the series, I slightly preferred NG for its story and characters but the favorite game in the series varies from person to person. You can't go wrong with either if you like visual novels and horror.

If you haven't played it yet, 428 Shibuya Scramble is also currently on sale. It's a classic of the genre that mixes police thriller with comedy. No gameplay apart from many story choices though (if that's a deal breaker).

World End Syndrome is good but I wouldn't recommend it over DM or NG. Psycho Pass is probably only worth it if you're a big fan of the anime. I never finished reading Chaos;Head but it's pretty popular, you can always ask in the Visual Novel Community Thread if you want some different opinions.

Last edited:

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Don't worry, a necro bump feels right at home in a horror game thread ;)

DM & NG are both great horror games. They are not as gameplay or puzzle heavy as escape the room games like 999/VLR. You investigate different haunted areas in Ace Attorney fashion and occasionally fight monsters with the items and information you've collected. Like in an RPG, you sometimes have to make a choice which character(s) you want to bring along. Choices like that will influence the story. You can start with either game in the series, I slightly preferred NG for its story and characters but the favorite game in the series varies from person to person. You can't go wrong with either if you like visual novels and horror.

If you haven't played it yet, 428 Shibuya Scramble is also currently on sale. It's a classic of the genre that mixes police thriller with comedy. No gameplay apart from many story choices though (if that's a deal breaker).

World End Syndrome is good but I wouldn't recommend it over DM or NG. Psycho Pass is probably only worth it if you're a big fan of the anime. I never finished reading Chaos;Head but it's pretty popular, you can always ask in the Visual Novel Community Thread if you want some different opinions.

Thanks for all the advice, good Sir! Looks like I will go ahead and buy DM & NG. By the way, 428 would also be a great advice but I already have it ;-) And I will also take a look in the Visual Novel Community Thread. Thanks!