• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Chapter 1, that legit stressed me the hell out. Managed to get the best outcome I think. This is exactly what I was hoping Tokyo Twilight would be, rather than the weirdly convoluted SRPG it turned out to be.

One slight irk is when you have to examine something to use a tool on it, you have to re-examine the thing if you leave the room without using the tool, before you can actually use the tool on the thing again. Like
- *Use letter opener on trap door*
- Lol, dunno why I'd use a letter opener on this
- *Examine trap door*
- Gotta use something small and letter-openery to pry that shit open
- Don't do that yet, come back later
- *Came back later when it needs to be opened*
- Lmao, dunno why I'd use a letter opener on this
- *Examine trap door*
- Shiiiit, where's my letter opener

Guess it might be an internal flag thing, part of the whole memory loss plot point, or so it gives the player a better idea of what to use in case the situation comes up later with a limited use item. Like dang, get it together Yoshiki. Totally loving it so far though.

Last edited:

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Someone on Twitter who finished the EU version on Switch has confirmed that the changes also exist in the European version he's played. @EvilFiek also posted evidence.

Doesn't mean 100% that the other video is fake or something done via custom firmware, it could still be in the US version.

But the tweet contradicts the narrative that it was a change imposed by Sony or that Aksys lied about it.

Interesting, but given Aksys said it was because the ESRB doubt the american version its going to be any different, chalk it up to 4chan shit stirring the hive with "muh censoring"

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Chapter 1, that legit stressed me the hell out. Managed to get the best outcome I think. This is exactly what I was hoping Tokyo Twilight would be, rather than the weirdly convoluted SRPG it turned out to be.

One slight irk is when you have to examine something to use a tool on it, you have to re-examine the thing if you leave the room without using the tool, before you can actually use the tool on the thing again. Like
- Lol, dunno why I'd use a letter opener on this
- *Examine trap door*
- Gotta use something small and letter-openery to pry that shit open
- Don't do that yet, come back later
- *Came back later when it needs to be opened*
- Lmao, dunno why I'd use a letter opener on this
- *Examine trap door*
- Shiiiit, where's my letter opener

Guess it might be an internal flag thing, part of the whole memory loss plot point, or so it gives the player a better idea of what to use in case the situation comes up later with a limited use item. Like dang, get it together Yoshiki. Totally loving it so far though.

By the way, if your partner dies, that's a bad ending. You have to get all good endings to see the DLC chapter.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on my twitter just confirmed that the NA Vita version isn't censored.

No idea what's been going on with this lol, will try to share a screenshot when I get home.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
The only censored image is the DLC image, last I've checked.

Not even that image according to the person I was talking to.

Here's the picture sent:

BzZxVoP.jpg

It's got the Vita button prompts so seems legit to me. I suppose there's always the possibility of "it's a hacked Vita!".

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Not even that image according to the person I was talking to.

Here's the picture sent:

BzZxVoP.jpg

It's got the Vita button prompts so seems legit to me. I suppose there's always the possibility of "it's a hacked Vita!".

So, it's just been removed in the EU versions?

This is getting confusing.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Someone on my twitter just confirmed that the NA Vita version isn't censored.

No idea what's been going on with this lol, will try to share a screenshot when I get home.

Can you link the tweet when you have the time?

This whole situation is bizarre, but we have no real reason to believe any version is uncensored currently... unless there's some sort of bug displaying the old version...? I saw it being said that the censorship is just something placed over the original, so if that's really done in-engine and not just as an edited image... well, who knows if that was true.

Anyway, the first claim of an EU version being uncensored was completely dubious given the source. Beyond that, we know it was because of the ESRB to begin with so this US uncensored version is similarly questionable, not to mention we have RadicalR seeing the censored version.

Given that the reason for the first fake was probably to rile people up about Sony, I have 0 idea why someone would claim "Vita's fine actually" since that's the opposite of that, but... I assume the point was just more confusion being caused?

this is like... barely an issue so it's bizarre to see people causing trouble like this

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Seems more and more likely that the people who posted non-edited vita and switch images/videos did it on hacked consoles/ edited the videos/images themselves.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Seems more and more likely that the people who posted non-edited vita and switch images/videos did it on hacked consoles/ edited the videos/images themselves.

Yeah, that seems almost certainly the case. Just to rile people up over nonsense.

Looking on Twitter and I can't even see anything about an uncensored Vita image, just lots of people flipping out over the fake Switch thing.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Can you link the tweet when you have the time?

This whole situation is bizarre, but we have no real reason to believe any version is uncensored currently... unless there's some sort of bug displaying the old version...? I saw it being said that the censorship is just something placed over the original, so if that's really done in-engine and not just as an edited image... well, who knows if that was true.

Anyway, the first claim of an EU version being uncensored was completely dubious given the source. Beyond that, we know it was because of the ESRB to begin with so this US uncensored version is similarly questionable, not to mention we have RadicalR seeing the censored version.

Given that the reason for the first fake was probably to rile people up about Sony, I have 0 idea why someone would claim "Vita's fine actually" since that's the opposite of that, but... I assume the point was just more confusion being caused?

this is like... barely an issue so it's bizarre to see people causing trouble like this

It wasn't a tweet, it was someone in a Vita group chat sadly. That was the image they took (which I downloaded and put it on imgur) and they said it was the NA Vita version they were playing and they'd just reached the DLC chapter.

TweetVitaReview is the person if anyone wants to go and ask them.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't a tweet, it was someone in a Vita group chat sadly. That was the image they took (which I downloaded and put it on imgur) and they said it was the NA Vita version they were playing and they'd just reached the DLC chapter.

TweetVitaReview is the person if anyone wants to go and ask them.

Well, I'm not inclined to go bother someone, but it looks like they're posting their playthrough of it on YouTube? So we should have video evidence either way within the next few days.

...unrelated to them, I expect to see a flood of angry replies to this tweet that coincidentally just went up:

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for sharing Kresnik , this is getting confusing and could all be cleared up quickly by Aksys.

Are there different versions of the localized release of Death Mark?

If so, why and what are the differences between the three platforms and regions?

just write a tweet or something to clear things up, it's starting to dominate the conversation instead of actual talk about the game.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super confused. Which versions are not censored?
Why the fuck is any of it censored in the first place? Its absurd.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oooof. Just speaking from a personal point of view: As someone who is slight arachnophobic I'm actually quite glad that I only have to read about what's happening but don't have to also see it. I'm sure there's enough other nightmare fuel in the game anyway. Again: I'm just speaking from a personal point of view. This doesn't even have anything to do with the censorship itself. I'm just glad I don't have to see a spider being put in someones mouth, that is all, haha...

That's the thing though, what they edited out is a really good horror visual/idea. Why that and not the unnecessary titillation? It's times like this that really make me question all this censoring we are trying to do, good and bad.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If anyone is interested the switch version is $40 on bestbuy.com. PS4 version still $50. Gotta be a first, where the switch version is cheaper

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing though, what they edited out is a really good horror visual/idea. Why that and not the unnecessary titillation? It's times like this that really make me question all this censoring we are trying to do, good and bad.

Because that image is of a high school girl that makes it look like she's part of some twisted BDSM play.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Because that image is of a high school girl that makes it look like she's part of some twisted BDSM play.

From what I understand of the story, the age is being assumed, and the picture edited is just of her face... Are we not allowed to see this because of that? I feel like you are mixing up the actual questionable images with the one censored. How is a female's face censorable? Is the fact it is being held open to forcefeed spiders sexual, really? Simply because her mouth is held open? That's the part that makes it pretty damn scary and gross...

It's starting to feel like some people's insecurities or uncomfortableness is leading them to force others not to see things they don't want to see, which is going to leave the horror genre pretty boring and empty. I just don't possibly see how that image is censorable and how people are defending it.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand of the story, the age is being assumed, and the picture edited is just of her face... Are we not allowed to see this because of that? I feel like you are mixing up the actual questionable images with the one censored. How is a female's face censorable? Is the fact it is being held open to forcefeed spiders sexual, really? Simply because her mouth is held open? That's the part that makes it pretty damn scary and gross...

It's starting to feel like some people's insecurities or uncomfortableness is leading them to force others not to see things they don't want to see, which is going to leave the horror genre pretty boring and empty. I just don't possibly see how that image is censorable and how people are defending it.

It's censored because of the ESRB. Why they decided that image was distinctly worse than one of the other CGs I've already seen, who knows.

And, well, you can look at the image. That they're trying to make it sexual isn't exactly subtle. Angle, mask, position of the hands, the drool, etc.

I don't want to be mean, but frankly... your specific worries here are kinda ridiculous? I get the reasoning for having those worries, but I don't think you fully understand what's happening in the context of this game because you're acting like some element of actual horror was removed entirely. It's not like what's being done here is content being cut due to someone going "you can't make a game about this thing people have fears about because it's taboo", or even the typical monster design that resembles a naked woman being edited out, or anything like that. They didn't even remove the event from the story, the audio's still there, it was purely the CG. Which, unless it animates or has additional versions that haven't been discussed, doesn't actually show the event either, just this sexualized moment before it.

Rather, there's a pretty huge gap between "everything shown in horror games will be boring and empty" and "everything shown in horror games also needs to be obviously intended to make people horny in the most blunt and cheap ways possible". This game opted for the latter, and I don't see how that's better than something in that gap. It's not even like this is used for effect in-story either; so far in what I played, the protagonist saw a ridiculous fanservice scene and just... absolutely didn't even comment on anything besides the actual horror part of it? If it was actually meant to be him being a sadist or something, that'd at least be some justification at all for it, but instead it's entirely aimed at the player. It was just completely unnecessary and gross, and totally disruptive to the scene actually making me feel horrified about what's shown at all all.

So to be clear, I'm not saying more CGs deserve to be censored, at least not when it's just blacking things out vs making alternate CGs. I'm saying I think it was a bad idea that they did any of it to begin with, instead of actually trying to make those CGs atmospheric, because what's there actually makes the game worse and less scary.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's censored because of the ESRB. Why they decided that image was distinctly worse than one of the other CGs I've already seen, who knows.

And, well, you can look at the image. That they're trying to make it sexual isn't exactly subtle. Angle, mask, position of the hands, the drool, etc.

I don't want to be mean, but frankly... your specific worries here are kinda ridiculous? I get the reasoning for having those worries, but I don't think you fully understand what's happening in the context of this game because you're acting like some element of actual horror was removed entirely. It's not like what's being done here is content being cut due to someone going "you can't make a game about this thing people have fears about because it's taboo", or even the typical monster design that resembles a naked woman being edited out, or anything like that. They didn't even remove the event from the story, the audio's still there, it was purely the CG. Which, unless it animates or has additional versions that haven't been discussed, doesn't actually show the event either, just this sexualized moment before it.

Rather, there's a pretty huge gap between "everything shown in horror games will be boring and empty" and "everything shown in horror games also needs to be obviously intended to make people horny in the most blunt and cheap ways possible". This game opted for the latter, and I don't see how that's better than something in that gap. It's not even like this is used for effect in-story either; so far in what I played, the protagonist saw a ridiculous fanservice scene and just... absolutely didn't even comment on anything besides the actual horror part of it? If it was actually meant to be him being a sadist or something, that'd at least be some justification at all for it, but instead it's entirely aimed at the player. It was just completely unnecessary and gross, and totally disruptive to the scene actually making me feel horrified about what's shown at all all.

So to be clear, I'm not saying more CGs deserve to be censored, at least not when it's just blacking things out vs making alternate CGs. I'm saying I think it was a bad idea that they did any of it to begin with, instead of actually trying to make those CGs atmospheric, because what's there actually makes the game worse and less scary.

I guess I have to be careful with posting random thoughts on here. Obviously I don't think them censoring this game is going to lead to an entire genre being ruined, it was a down the road sort of thought. I merely said that censoring like this makes me wonder if attempting to censoring things so much in games is really all that great. Like, it seems like the right thing to do, then sometimes it just seems like we are preventing others from seeing things we personally think are bad. Like why censoring that image, an image that while some might find sexual, has far more potential to scare than the corpse shot and the other image, which are seemingly only there for one reason.

I am also not implying it ruined the game or makes it worse. I'm implying if we continue to try and censor and we keep going this course, potentially anything offensive could be censored or as you put it, not made or made differently, leading to a pretty boring genre, as this genre is meant to push boundaries to get that fear (not necessarily in the way this game does, again just generalizing).

This story was just the springboard for the conversation to me really. I get how that image is sexualized, but so what, I guess. It didn't strike me that way at first with the story and context. Just posting that image and looking at it though, ya it's clear as day. Remove the hand from the image and put the tongue in a more reasonable position and it's fine, but who's to say others won't still find it sexual? Where is the line? Why is there a line? The line e should be the purchase. Perverts will get off on a Disney show, there will be no end to the line if we keep going.

There used to be a time where people would simply say "that image is a bit too much" or the sexualization of the female victims makes me hate this game" and move on. But now others seem set on telling others what's appropriate for them.

I dunno there are clearly lines that shouldn't be crossed, especially in the VN space lately, maybe it's just when tamer ones like this seem to get more shit than the real smut it starts to rub me the wrong way.

In the end I don't need that image to make that scene terrifying so I could care less, but it got me thinking about censorship and it's place is all.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is basically the OT, to get a little more on topic: I had a baaaad experience with how it gates progress tonight.

Apparently you need all items to progress. But only at specific points, which doesn't include the end of the first visit to the school. So I never got the mirror from that last underground room.

Cue me wandering the extremely similar rooms forever and ever trying to find what I'd missed, during my yet again brief and accidentally too late at night playing of the game. The walkthrough on GameFAQs made me think a thing was bugged because I did it out of order due to how it described events occurring immediately after getting the salt water, as I'd not taken one of the notes yet had already gotten the bag, so I reloaded (thankfully I've been saving a lot and rotating files); nope, still wouldn't trigger the next story bit.

It was that fricking mirror. And I'd even backtracked and looked at that exact corpse early on tonight, I just didn't feel it because none of the others had anything. Had I just tapped that then just in case, none of this time would have been wasted. And it was buried higher up in the guide so I missed it even when reviewing it, especially because that guide is them translating the JP version's item names so I wasn't looking at the lists too closely. whyyyyyy

Ironically the only way I finally learned what I missed was that I remembered that, as I mentioned earlier, the Twitter Kresnik gave has been posting a playthrough. So I was able to check that and relatively quickly find what I actually had missed, at least... Thank you for that, hah.

Game's still pretty neat, just frustrating. Would probably be less of an issue if I was actually playing in a reasonable way...

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so should I turn this thread into an OT? Seems like folks on Era want to keep the discussion going and there haven't been many new reviews anyways.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is basically the OT, to get a little more on topic: I had a baaaad experience with how it gates progress tonight.

Apparently you need all items to progress. But only at specific points, which doesn't include the end of the first visit to the school. So I never got the mirror from that last underground room.

Cue me wandering the extremely similar rooms forever and ever trying to find what I'd missed, during my yet again brief and accidentally too late at night playing of the game. The walkthrough on GameFAQs made me think a thing was bugged because I did it out of order due to how it described events occurring immediately after getting the salt water, as I'd not taken one of the notes yet had already gotten the bag, so I reloaded (thankfully I've been saving a lot and rotating files); nope, still wouldn't trigger the next story bit.

It was that fricking mirror. And I'd even backtracked and looked at that exact corpse early on tonight, I just didn't feel it because none of the others had anything. Had I just tapped that then just in case, none of this time would have been wasted. And it was buried higher up in the guide so I missed it even when reviewing it, especially because that guide is them translating the JP version's item names so I wasn't looking at the lists too closely. whyyyyyy

Ironically the only way I finally learned what I missed was that I remembered that, as I mentioned earlier, the Twitter Kresnik gave has been posting a playthrough. So I was able to check that and relatively quickly find what I actually had missed, at least... Thank you for that, hah.

Game's still pretty neat, just frustrating. Would probably be less of an issue if I was actually playing in a reasonable way...

Had something similar happen but in chapter 6. Had to watch a Japanese let's play video to figure out what to do.

Ok, so should I turn this thread into an OT? Seems like folks on Era want to keep the discussion going and there haven't been many new reviews anyways.

Think that would be best since this is the only active thread about the game.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Think that would be best since this is the only active thread about the game.
Alright, working on it right now. In the meantime, let's come up with a good OT title!

couple of quick ideas:

Death Mark (Horror Adventure VN)|OT|

+

|OT| You are already marked
|OT| Mark my words, you are already dead

|OT| Come for the keyart, stay for the game
|OT| Come for the boxart, stay for the game

|OT| hold on, you got a little schmutz right there
(like a nice old lady who want to wipe away the death mark, also a dig at the cheap fanservice)

I sure wouldn't expect Aksys to comment, they tend to shove their heads into the sand whenever controversy plagues a release(see also: NISA).
Yeah, it also took them a while to respond when something went wrong with the Zero Escape 3 watch bundle years ago. But they did come through in the end so I hope they'll let us know what's going on with Death Mark.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, working on it right now. In the meantime, let's come up with a good OT title!

couple of quick ideas:

Death Mark (Horror Adventure VN)|OT|

+

|OT| You are already marked
|OT| Mark my words, you are already dead

|OT| Come for the keyart, stay for the game
|OT| Come for the boxart, stay for the game

|OT| hold on, you got a little schmutz right there
(like a nice old lady who want to wipe away the death mark, also a dig at the cheap fanservice)

Yeah, it also took them a while to respond when something went wrong with the Zero Escape 3 watch bundle years ago. But they did come through in the end so I hope they'll let us know what's going on with Death Mark.

Maybe something with 'Experience' in it?

For example: |OT| Experience the True Horror

|OT| Experience, live and die

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting!
Gonna get it for my PSVITA, but I will wait for a discount because I'm already playing another VN right now.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, if your partner dies, that's a bad ending. You have to get all good endings to see the DLC chapter.
Damn, looks like I played myself then. I found chapter 2 to be a let-down compared to the first so I just stuck with the ending I got and didn't bother redoing it to keep my partner safe. I'm on chapter 5 atm so there's no way I'm going through it all again.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
alright, almost done with the OT. I'll clean it up a bit later. Let me know if you want anything added or changed.

Any more ideas for the title or should we go with Saphirax 's suggestion.

|OT| Experience the True Horror

edit: Death Mark |OT| Experience True Horror? I like it.

edit2: And it's an OT now. Thanks for the quick name change, didn't even have to pay $9.99 :P

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, nice work turning it into an OT!

They only thing I'd say is that in the Vita DLC section, it might be worth saying that it's $10 cheaper on Vita to make up for having to buy the $10 DLC.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Digitally Downloaded - 9/10
Aside from the occasional localisation foible, Death Mark is a magnificent example of how a more literary approach to horror can really work within the context of a video game. It tackles the harder and more cerebral side of horror storytelling, and is a deeply adult, unsettling, and even sadistic example of it as a result. While it might make you uncomfortable, as far as extreme horror goes, Death Mark also offers an unparalleled sense of atmosphere and a genuinely engrossing mystery to follow along with.

They only thing I'd say is that in the Vita DLC section, it might be worth saying that it's $10 cheaper on Vita to make up for having to buy the $10 DLC.
Good idea, I updated that part.

On a related note, could someone who's playing on Vita check if the localized version includes the Event Viewer (the gallery feature). I think that feature never made it to the Japanese Vita release, even after the DLC was released.

Last edited:

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

Tweet Vita review has uploaded his footage of the DLC chapter (warning, obvious spoilers).

The scene that's caused all this kerfuffle is at 2 hours 36 minutes and doesn't seem to be censored.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It seems they're in the UK, but when I looked yesterday I saw they tweeted a picture of the NA box. But I think they were sent a review copy, so I'm not sure if they were sent that NA physical copy to play or were sent a digital code of NA or UK and bought that to have physically, etc.

It's bizarre regardless given that if it's an NA Vita copy, you'd think it would be more likely to be edited for either the stated reason or the reason people are pushing as a conspiracy. If someone who's beaten it could check the video, that'd help, I guess.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
It seems they're in the UK, but when I looked yesterday I saw they tweeted a picture of the NA box. But I think they were sent a review copy, so I'm not sure if they were sent that NA physical copy to play or were sent a digital code of NA or UK and bought that to have physically, etc.

It's bizarre regardless given that if it's an NA Vita copy, you'd think it would be more likely to be edited for either the stated reason or the reason people are pushing as a conspiracy. If someone who's beaten it could check the video, that'd help, I guess.

It was censored in my NA Vita version.