• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I @'d them on Twitter explaining we were discussing it and asking if they minded sharing info on the version they played.

So hopefully we'll know that much within the next few hours.

EDIT:

Weird, ok, they already replied- digital NA version.

But you'd think since the chapter in question is DLC, that wouldn't matter regardless? Hmm.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
I @'d them on Twitter explaining we were discussing it and asking if they minded sharing info on the version they played.

EDIT:

But you'd think since the chapter in question is DLC, that wouldn't matter regardless? Hmm.
Could be a bug. I doubt all players can trigger it.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT:

I think TVR has a review code.

It's possible that those, somehow, ended up not being altered.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 99% sure it's an NA review copy TVR will have been given and I'm 99% sure he won't have faked the footage.

Seems like you guys are talking to him though so you should get the answers there.

What a bizarre situation.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think they'd be faking it since they seem like a legit reviewer just posting their playthrough, vs someone messing with 4chan or Twitter. I would think the review copy would be the explanation, since I saw a mention of them being given the DLC as well. Will follow up with them in a few minutes; want to check that Game Pitt review first.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think they'd be faking it since they seem like a legit reviewer just posting their playthrough, vs someone messing with 4chan or Twitter. I would think the review copy would be the explanation, since I saw a mention of them being given the DLC as well. Will follow up with them in a few minutes; want to check that Game Pitt review first.

GamePitt would have the EU (review?) version. As far as I know, all the EU versions have the image blacked out.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
GamePitt also seems to have reviewed the PS4 version, so never mind that anyway. (I'm not sure if they'd get the UK version if TVR didn't, but maybe that was up to the reviewer...?)

So pending confirmation from TVR, I'm guessing this may just be an issue of the reviewer/downloaded early Vita DLC being unedited vs the actual Vita DLC available to players at release.

EDIT: Which, to be clear, was likely a mistake on Aksys' part, but not a "lie" at all.

EDIT2: TVR confirmed they did get a review code for the DLC and downloaded everything 2 weeks ago, and said they're actually asking Aksys about it. They said they'll get back to me if they get a response, so I'll let you know if they do.

So, uh, thanks for helping to clear this up, everyone; particular shout out to Kresnik for the heads up about TVR since I doubt we'd have heard about this weird case otherwise. Hopefully this deals with some of the Sony conspiracy/Aksys "lying" stuff.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but right after I got around to editing again just now, TVR replied linking me to this tweet thread with the official statement from Aksys. They've been very quick but therefore pretty unlucky for me with their timing, hah.

So it's exactly as we thought: the pre-release version of the Vita DLC that reviewers had access to had the unedited CG. That's all. Every English version is edited otherwise; all non-reviewers on the Vita should only have the edited DLC version 1.01.

Case closed, I guess?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but right after I got around to editing again just now, TVR replied linking me to this tweet thread with the official statement from Aksys. They've been very quick but therefore pretty unlucky for me with their timing, hah.

So it's exactly as we thought: the pre-release version of the Vita DLC that reviewers had access to had the unedited CG. That's all. Every English version is edited otherwise; all non-reviewers on the Vita should only have the edited DLC version 1.01.

Case closed, I guess?

That settles it.

On another note, I wonder if Exp inc will port NG to other platforms like they did with Death Mark.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

Case closed, I guess?

Huh, makes sense then I guess! What a strange situation.

That settles it.

On another note, I wonder if Exp inc will port NG to other platforms like they did with Death Mark.

I would imagine so.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Hey great job everyone, glad that's cleared up now. And good on Aksys for quickly putting out a statement.

Very likely imo. There was a seven month gap between the Vita and PS4 versions of Death Mark, I'd expect a similar release strategy for NG. Maybe a bit longer, NG was delayed by a month shortly before release this summer and that could have pushed things back a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it yesterday. Solid 8/10 imo, I really enjoyed my time with it. The only chapter I outright didn't enjoy was the 2nd and that's just because nothing about the case was compelling to me, but the others were really captivating.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I got my plat over the weekend. The game seemed interesting enough before I played it, but I couldn't put it down once I started playing it. Very good VN game and I like the horror aspect of it. All I will say is that it is a really messed up game, especially if you don't save anyone lol.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if this already has been answered in here, and I don't want to go through all the posts and risk getting some story elements spoiled, so:
Is there a way to increase the text speed? And is there any word on a voice patch coming? It's not something I absolutely need, but it usually enhances the experience.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if this already has been answered in here, and I don't want to go through all the posts and risk getting some story elements spoiled, so:
Is there a way to increase the text speed? And is there any word on a voice patch coming? It's not something I absolutely need, but it usually enhances the experience.
No and no.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Review: Operation Rainfall - 8/10
Visually speaking, this game is a horror masterpiece. The hand-drawn 2D art bursts with personality and menace, especially for the characters and spirits you face. Likewise, the environments you explore are all drowning in darkness, and makes you feel you can sense horrors waiting to attack from every corner. Perhaps the best visual effects are for the spirits themselves, which are all horrifying and deranged creatures that truly instill terror in you. But it's not just the visual side; the sound effects are also fantastic. The music is somber and mysterious, with piano tunes, which pushes you to keep going. It gets very tense and frantic during the life-or-death sequences, and especially during the spirit encounters.

edit:
Review: VGChartz - 8/10
https://www./article/272371/death-mark-psv
Gifted with an unforgettable atmosphere, Death Mark has all the qualities to be a champion of fear on both the PSVita and PS4. It is quite striking how a modest point 'n click game could reach such a high level of mastery in direction, storytelling, and sound that it could even compete with AAA survival-horror titles. But it doesn't just survive; Death Mark is one of the most intense gaming experiences of the past year, and one of the most memorable in the genre too.

Review: Demon Gaming - 9/10
Death Mark is a great game for visual novel fans and especially horror fans. The stories told in each chapter were all so well written and offered their own twists of macabre, while still tying the story together. Even though there isn't much to the replay factor, there is plenty to enjoy and enough spooks to please fans of the genre.

Last edited:

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
That first bit of fan service... uhhh, yeah, that caught me off guard.

So far I'm enjoying it, but it's got some annoying little quirks, like not being able to use an item I know I need to use to open something until I've looked at it, or vice versa.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
That first bit of fan service... uhhh, yeah, that caught me off guard.

So far I'm enjoying it, but it's got some annoying little quirks, like not being able to use an item I know I need to use to open something until I've looked at it, or vice versa.

Yeah, that was the cause of my first death. Made me jump!

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
This might be old news, I've seen an Amazon listing pop up on Twitter before but don't think it had a firm release date attached at that time.

So it looks like the physical EU Vita and PS4 versions will be out December 7 while the Switch version will follow on February 22, 2019. Directly sold via Amazon, no Collectors Edition (so far).

The game is currently listed with those release dates on Amazon UK and DE:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aksys-Games-222854-Death-Mark/dp/B07K2BC2BF
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aksys-Games-222854-Death-Mark/dp/B07K2J2H8K
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aksys-Games-222855-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07K297BPX

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07K2J2H8K
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07K2BC2BF
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07K297BPX

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
This might be old news, I've seen an Amazon listing pop up on Twitter before but don't think it had a firm release date attached at that time.

So it looks like the physical EU Vita and PS4 versions will be out December 7 while the Switch version will follow on February 22, 2019. Directly sold via Amazon, no Collectors Edition (so far).

The game is currently listed with those release dates on Amazon UK and DE:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aksys-Games-222854-Death-Mark/dp/B07K2BC2BF
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aksys-Games-222854-Death-Mark/dp/B07K2J2H8K
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aksys-Games-222855-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07K297BPX

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07K2J2H8K
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07K2BC2BF
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07K297BPX

Bazaar Bazaar also have the EU Vita version listed, which makes me think that other retailers (365/Shopto) will put it up in due course.

GodzillaDB

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody played through the NA Switch version un-patched to see whether it contains the two uncensored CG images? I've still been hearing rumors persist over that claim. As someone that purchased the PS4 LE at launch, I'd greatly appreciate any confirmation so that I can properly exchange it for the Nintendo counterpart if it actually turns out true.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished chapter 3, feels kind of like a filler chapter with how short it was, as well as just being a quick retread through the same forest as the last chapter, too. Seems kind of odd, since this is the one they decided to use as the icon/original cover art lol.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It took a while since reviews were split between three platforms, but DM finally has a Metacritic score of 83 (PS4).

And all reviews so far have been positive.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm interested in this but I need to know something beforehand:
Is there any animal murder in the game? If there is, that's a dealbreaker for me. I had to immediately stop playing Yomawari for this reason. Thanks for any info.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in this but I need to know something beforehand:
Is there any animal murder in the game? If there is, that's a dealbreaker for me. I had to immediately stop playing Yomawari for this reason. Thanks for any info.

Yes. You'll probably not like this then.

You see the corpse of a rabbit and beheaded animals.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Started chapter 6, pleasantly surprised that it actually takes place after the main story, since I kind of expected it to take place in the middle of the story like the DLC case for one of the Ace Attorney games did.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Bought the LE for Vita, probably my last LE for the Vita. Was happy until I saw that, only on Vita, you have to buy chapter 6 which was released as a DLC after launch, but will be included in the PlayStation 4 and Switch versions. Seems like I wasn't well informed. But who might think of a DLC when you buy a Visual Novel.

So, yeah, bummer. With a european account it's not worth the hassle to get it, and especially not for 10 bucks. Don't think it would have been an impossible task to include it in the western version as well.

Guess it will be YouTube for me when it comes to chapter 6.

But there is a question left. What's with the platin trophy? Can I reach it in the Vita version without the DLC? Haven't checked the trophies for Vita so far but there are clearly Chapter 6 trophies in the PlayStation 4 version.

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the LE for Vita, probably my last LE for the Vita. Was happy until I saw that, only on Vita, you have to buy chapter 6 which was released as a DLC after launch, but will be included in the PlayStation 4 and Switch versions. Seems like I wasn't well informed. But who might think of a DLC when you buy a Visual Novel.

So, yeah, bummer. With a european account it's not worth the hassle to get it, and especially not for 10 bucks. Don't think it would have been an impossible task to include it in the western version as well.

But there is a question left. What's with the platin trophy? Can I reach it in the Vita version without the DLC? Haven't checked the trophies for Vita so far but there are clearly Chapter 6 trophies in the PlayStation 4 version.
Yeah I made the same mistake as you regarding the dlc, it sucks but I do like the limited edition so I guess that'll do for now.

The trophy list for the vita version doesn't have the trophies for the bonus chapter: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/8382-death-mark

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
sleepless_swan

Thanks for the heads up here. So getting the platin won't be a problem.

Yeah, weird move from Experience but even a more weird one from Aksys (I know they are lazy, especially here in Europe). But I guess brining the DLC-Chapter to the Vita version needed extra help from the developers most likely. On the other hand, they managed to do it with the newer versions.

I will not complain much, I can't change it now. The DLC-Chapter was free for some time after the japanese launch, seems like Aksys don't gave a shit about this. I can't download it anyway but it should stay free simply for providing everyone the same content.

But this haven't killed my anticipation for the game. Will feed my Vita with the card after I completed Punch Line, which also is a positive surprise for me.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I made the same mistake as you regarding the dlc, it sucks but I do like the limited edition so I guess that'll do for now.

The trophy list for the vita version doesn't have the trophies for the bonus chapter: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/8382-death-mark
sleepless_swan

Thanks for the heads up here. So getting the platin won't be a problem.

Yeah, weird move from Experience but even a more weird one from Aksys (I know they are lazy, especially here in Europe). But I guess brining the DLC-Chapter to the Vita version needed extra help from the developers most likely. On the other hand, they managed to do it with the newer versions.

I will not complain much, I can't change it now. The DLC-Chapter was free for some time after the japanese launch, seems like Aksys don't gave a shit about this. I can't download it anyway but it should stay free simply for providing everyone the same content.

But this haven't killed my anticipation for the game. Will feed my Vita with the card after I completed Punch Line, which also is a positive surprise for me.

But for the English Vita release, the DLC is essentially free. In the US, the Vita version is $10 cheaper than the other versions to make up for the DLC cost; same for the Vita LE compared to the other LEs. IIRC there was an issue with including the DLC within the size of the cart, so they went that route. And I assume it would probably be a hassle to make the DLC part of the game anyway, since you'd either have to add it onto the existing Vita version or port back the Switch/PS4 version; it's certainly not "lazy" to want to avoid that work when you have this solution instead. It's also not a matter of them "managing to do it" for Switch/PS4 because those were upgraded console releases for Japan as well, compared to going out of their way to add this and unlocking it to the Vita release just for other regions.

Obviously, it's less than ideal when you're outside the US, especially considering how badly the Vita handles other regions, so that sucks. But within the US at least, you get the same content for the same price overall and it's a sensible enough solution.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

Nice. Looks like NG is following a similar release pattern as Death Mark. Probably Switch in summer 19 and hopefully a localization after that.

Hope they are satisfied with the sales of DM, 100k shipped ww seems low for a game that's out on four platforms but pretty good by VN standards.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, looks like NG is following a similar release pattern as Death Mark. Probably Switch in summer 19 and hopefully a localization after that.

Hope they are satisfied with the sales of DM, 100k shipped ww seems low for a game that's out on four platforms but pretty good by VN standards.

100k for a (niche) VN is great. I doubt X1 contributed to a lot of sales though, so it's mostly 3 platforms.

Oct 28, 2017
But for the English Vita release, the DLC is essentially free. In the US, the Vita version is $10 cheaper than the other versions to make up for the DLC cost; same for the Vita LE compared to the other LEs. IIRC there was an issue with including the DLC within the size of the cart, so they went that route. And I assume it would probably be a hassle to make the DLC part of the game anyway, since you'd either have to add it onto the existing Vita version or port back the Switch/PS4 version; it's certainly not "lazy" to want to avoid that work when you have this solution instead. It's also not a matter of them "managing to do it" for Switch/PS4 because those were upgraded console releases for Japan as well, compared to going out of their way to add this and unlocking it to the Vita release just for other regions.

Obviously, it's less than ideal when you're outside the US, especially considering how badly the Vita handles other regions, so that sucks. But within the US at least, you get the same content for the same price overall and it's a sensible enough solution.
The pricing is the exact same in Europe. It was certainly the right way of going about it given the circumstances, and I wasn't complaining about it btw, it's just the trade off us Europeans had to pay for the LE.

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Like you said, even in Japan, Visual Novels, especially Sound Novels, aren't mega seller. You either have to name your Visual Novel Steins;Gate or Danganronpa and the latter has added other features as well. So I think 100.000 is a pretty great number. Also, there was 0 promotion in Europe. They wouldn't announce new plans for NG and Multimedia-Stuff if it wasn't successful for them.

The pricing is the exact same in Europe. It was certainly the right way of going about it given the circumstances, and I wasn't complaining about it btw, it's just the trade off us Europeans had to pay for the LE.

I'm with you here. While I say I'm not a big fan of Aksys and how rushed a lot of their localizations feel (including for not searching for a publishing partner in Europe while telling US-Fans that physical media is their most important selling points, unfriendly social media guys and overall ignoring fans), I don't blame them here. It would be cool though if the European-DLC would be compatible with the US-Version. But that's not possible unfortunately.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm extremely confused in chapter 4. I just used the GFAQs guide to progress because I absolutely can't understand how I'm supposed to have learned the answer from this; can someone please explain what the fuck this is supposed to have meant?

hints here

Just... what? Did they accidentally translate "specific" as "certain" in different places or am I missing something? They don't connect like that?? What am I missing???

I didn't even realize I'd missed one of the parts before I checked the guide to be sure I was ready to do the puzzle; I did not expect to be this confused upon finding the part and doing the puzzle...

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody played through the NA Switch version un-patched to see whether it contains the two uncensored CG images? I've still been hearing rumors persist over that claim. As someone that purchased the PS4 LE at launch, I'd greatly appreciate any confirmation so that I can properly exchange it for the Nintendo counterpart if it actually turns out true.
I also saw some talk about the Switch version being unaltered if you don't install the 1.01 patch but didn't want to reply as long as there wasn't any video of it. Looks like the Switch version is indeed the way to go if you want the uncut version on cart. Just make sure the patch doesn't accidentally install since it's apparently very hard or even impossible to go back to an older version with cart releases on Switch.

You can see for yourself in this stream, starting around the 40min mark.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/341209906

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
is it easy to screw up getting the good ending? looking at gamefaqs and saw someone metion the game had dlc so i looked at the store and only saw Vita dlc which mentioned it's only accessible on a good end

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
is it easy to screw up getting the good ending? looking at gamefaqs and saw someone metion the game had dlc so i looked at the store and only saw Vita dlc which mentioned it's only accessible on a good end

You need all characters to be alive in order to get the good ending. PS4 and Switch versions already have said DLC on disc/cart.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

To get the good ending for the game, you need to get the good ending for every chapter, which is determined by the spirit encounter at the end of the chapter. It's immediately clear if you did not get the good ending for a chapter, so you can just reload and redo the spirit encounter before progressing.

I sorta needed to check a guide for every spirit encounter anyway (though I'd say more often or not I understood most of what to do, just not everything perfectly, though in retrospect it was generally clearer than I thought) so I knew what to do when reloading, and I always wanted to see both versions. If you do it by yourself, you might accidentally cause the bad end for a chapter, but you'll know right away and won't bumble into causing a bad end for the game overall. (Well, unless you do that in the last chapter, but that's the ideal way to see the game's overall bad ending since you won't have to redo much to see the good one. And you'll still know immediately, before you get to the game's ending.)

tl;dr: if someone dies, redo the spirit encounter correctly, you'll get the good end

I need to get back to the DLC; I've only seen the start of it. Infuriatingly, when you beat the game it creates a NG+ save, but if you install the DLC after beating the game you actually can't use this to play the DLC because loading it still puts you at the very start of the game, and the DLC continues right from the end. I'd always rotated saves and thankfully saved right at the end of my good ending (I was afraid I'd only done it for my bad ending and would have had to reload a little further back), but it still meant skipping through a final sequence again along with all of the epilogue and such... Which is why I only got to the very start of the DLC the night I played it, and that was a week or two back now.

so maybe install it first before you beat chapter 5

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
To get the good ending for the game, you need to get the good ending for every chapter, which is determined by the spirit encounter at the end of the chapter. It's immediately clear if you did not get the good ending for a chapter, so you can just reload and redo the spirit encounter before progressing.

I sorta needed to check a guide for every spirit encounter anyway (though I'd say more often or not I understood most of what to do, just not everything perfectly, though in retrospect it was generally clearer than I thought) so I knew what to do when reloading, and I always wanted to see both versions. If you do it by yourself, you might accidentally cause the bad end for a chapter, but you'll know right away and won't bumble into causing a bad end for the game overall. (Well, unless you do that in the last chapter, but that's the ideal way to see the game's overall bad ending since you won't have to redo much to see the good one. And you'll still know immediately, before you get to the game's ending.)

tl;dr: if someone dies, redo the spirit encounter correctly, you'll get the good end

I need to get back to the DLC; I've only seen the start of it. Infuriatingly, when you beat the game it creates a NG+ save, but if you install the DLC after beating the game you actually can't use this to play the DLC because loading it still puts you at the very start of the game, and the DLC continues right from the end. I'd always rotated saves and thankfully saved right at the end of my good ending (I was afraid I'd only done it for my bad ending and would have had to reload a little further back), but it still meant skipping through a final sequence again along with all of the epilogue and such... Which is why I only got to the very start of the DLC the night I played it, and that was a week or two back now.

so maybe install it first before you beat chapter 5

so even if i die answering the questions wrong i'm on the bad ending or is it just the partners?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
so even if i die answering the questions wrong i'm on the bad ending or is it just the partners?

As Saphirax said, that's just a game over. Any game overs/continuing/reloading/whatever doesn't matter. Only your partners having lived through the chapter determines it, and I explicitly mean "are all alive when you start the next chapter". It does not matter what happened in the game overs, or if you got the bad ending before and reloaded; all that matters is the actual current state of the game.

You will absolutely know if you got the bad ending for a chapter (hell, you'll even get a trophy indicating which you got). If that happens, you just need to reload before the chapter's spirit encounter, as that is what determines the ending.