• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

I had to put "hands-on" in quotation because, even though I got to control Norman Reedus, the game gave me such anxiety that I quickly had to hand over the controller to my friend. I felt much safer just being a spectator; here is why.

Yep, Death Stranding gave me nightmares! Never in my 20-something years of gaming have I ever felt so hopeless and lost while playing a videogame. And it has nothing to do with the game mechanics, but the world itself. Death Stranding's environments are nightmare inducing. The world of Death Stranding is indeed a strange one. Imagine this:

You are wondering a almost barren alien planet with no knowledge of what kind of life it harbours. It's a massive open world with wide open spaces and you are completely exposed. As night falls you begin to hear creepy sounds but you have no idea what they are. You try to look around for signs of danger but a thick mist slowly begins to suffocate your site. The sound gets louder and you strain your eyes to see if you can see something and, lo and behold, there seems to be something floating in the mist, and towards you, I might add. I don't know what this is, I don't know what to do, I just freak out and toss the controller over to my friend. That's my experience in a nutshell.

Death Stranding's environment is one of the scariest and immersive I've ever experienced in a videogame. Although the world may seem barren and void of life, it never feels like you are truly alone… and it is terrifying. You don't know what will pop out from where and it feels like there is this larger than life presence constantly watching you through the friggen' clouds! It feels like Hideo Kojima took the Silent Hills vibe and injected it with steroids.

I'm calling it now, it will win Game of the Year. But I may need to find someone to keep me company while I play through it. The game has literally traumatised me; I had a nightmare about being stuck on an alien planet after only 15 minutes of game time… and I don't even think it's supposed to be a survival horror! Perhaps I was just so terrified because I was thrown randomly into the middle of the game with no context, no idea of story, or explanations of the game's many beings.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
So,that's why he never showed night time footage.
Oh man,i didn't expect horror stuff tbh.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds amazing! Less than a month already, can't wait.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yoooooooooooo if this turns out to be an unintentional (or intentional) horror game of the caliber of Alien: Isolation, I am going to be stoked. I haven't had this game on my radar at all because trailers haven't done anything for me and the question of "what do you do?" has been the only thing occupying my mind. But if it turns out that this is more akin to a horror game where you have to avoid terrifying creatures, then I am sold.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Sounds exciting. This plus Sony having enough confidence to let the reviews drop 1 week in advance are giving me hope that this game will be something worthwhile.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
15 minutes of game time and already calling it game of the year? Oooooookay sure.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
The author's experience sounds a lot like my own when I first played Minecraft. Nights were terrifying because I had no idea what was out there.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man. Exaggerated pieces like this where the author literally couldn't play because it was too spooky kind of makes me a bit hesitant to take it serious. That said, I do hope it's exactly how they describe. I need to see what Kojima is capable of when it comes to horror themes

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idontbelieveyou.gif

sounds way too exaggerated tbh

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I try to refrain from criticising others' writing, but I don't think expecting article writers not to confuse "wandering" with "wondering", "sight" with "site", and writing "a alien" all in the same paragraph is asking for too much, right?

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Joking aside, I'm hoping for some spooky cosmic horror shite to go down during the night time sections.

Night time hype?

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
More power to those of you who can play a game like this... I am going to respectfully watch some streams and stay away.. I know I could not handle it.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds very overdramatic. Tossing the controller to a friend because mist came with a figure? Please.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like me going through the Tower of Latria for the first time lol :/ Had to play Demon's Souls on mute for a while not to get creeped out >.>

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering how much of the fear will be dampened by being able to throw vials of your own pee at said scary monsters

I'll be into it though so long as it isn't jump scare-y

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
so what happen when night time comes, in Days Gone, I can simply fast travel to nearest bunker and then fast forward the time to morning. I assume sleeping in the open during night time is not a good idea? can we set up camp with barrier and sleep until it's morning?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I try to refrain from criticising others' writing, but I don't think expecting article writers not to confuse "wandering" with "wondering", "sight" with "site", and writing "a alien" all in the same paragraph is asking for too much, right?

I guess the author is not spammed with Grammarly ads all the time, lol.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know if it was you I already replied to in the other thread, but: Did you watch any of the trailers? ;) There's a lot of scary and outright disturbing imagery.
It wasn't me and yes,i've watched them all.
Most of those scenes were just crazy weird,not scary imo.
But then again,i play too much horror games.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds very overdramatic. Tossing the controller to a friend because mist came with a figure? Please.
I've frequented numerous Alien: Isolation threads in my day, especially ones that were LTTP. If there's one thing I've learned it's that there are a lot of people out there who get frightened very easily. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.