• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snake2531

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so conflicted...one one hand, Kojima and his team have never made a game I didn't enjoy. But on the other hand, the gameplay shown is not typically in a genre I would enjoy. It seems to have lots of survival elements. I'm going to give it a shot though just because it really does look interesting.

Oct 26, 2017
How dare he right? some of you have serious issues and dont have a damn clue in what you are talking about.
Well I chuckled. The day Kojima is talking about is the same day Shinkawa and Imaizumi were announced as staff, and the Kojima & Andrew House Sony partnership video came out. But maybe something was lost in translation.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Just skimmed the video and I'm more hyped now than ever. It looks so chill with lots of item management, exploration, moments of stealth and boss battles. I'm so down to discover outposts and most excited to see how the online community aspects come into shape. (=
Oh and hades is a whole other thing we haven't seen much of. The less I know about this portion of the game the more excited I become.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Not to hate on Kojima but this is hardly an inspiring story if you have that type "connections". Also never forget what he did to david hayter and stefanie joosten.

He's done nothing to Stefanie Joosten and in fact she was there at TGS. He may have contacted her for the job at first to play Fragile but nothing was finalized yet. Also really do you think Joosten would fit in with all these other really famous actors? He didn't axe her. The thing he mentioned was never final and it was just concept art sent to her phone. Actually do your research before you claim he's hurting people. For all you know she's even a cameo in Death Stranding.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
My guess is that everyone can sabotage, but the costs to disassemble may be significantly higher than the costs to build

You can't sabotage but if another player's structure or safe house shows up in your game world you can disassemble it, but it'll still remain in the game of the player who built it.

Also watching the playback of the 50 minute footage and Sony edited it to cut a scene out. lol

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
200px-Magical_realm.png

Literaly Kojima spending Sony's money on his magical realm.
oh no

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
He's done nothing to Stefanie Joosten and in fact she was there at TGS. He may have contacted her for the job at first to play Fragile but nothing was finalized yet. Also really do you think Joosten would fit in with all these other really famous actors? He didn't axe her. The thing he mentioned was never final and it was just concept art sent to her phone. Actually do your research before you claim he's hurting people. For all you know she's even a cameo in Death Stranding.

Yeah right because troy baker fit with rest right :)

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
What's up with the Kojima hate here on Resetera? I don't get it. It's so conflicting with how he is seen outside here.

In every other game forum or discussion group I read Kojima is loved and considered a legend. But here it seems like he is Hitler or something like this. What's the explanation to this? Did he killed the dog or banged the wife of any user here?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
In every other game forum or discussion group I read Kojima is loved and considered a legend. But here it seems like he is Hitler or something like this. What's the explanation to this? Did he killed the dog or banged the wife of any user here?
I mean... I don't know that anyone has compared him to a dictator, just some people don't like his games?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
What's up with the Kojima hate here on Resetera? I don't get it. It's so conflicting with how he is seen outside here.

Just some people that don't understand his brilliance :)
And people that don't like walking simulators obviously. Because like all the videos prove, Death Stranding will be 100% walking simulator without any real gameplay.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the change was sudden an odd. Don't know where it came from.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Serious issues for pointing out his ridiciulous tweet?

I mean, going from losing your job, staff, engine, every line of code of every title you've been working on all your life, having to start from scratch and releasing an AAA title in 3 years more than warrants a small tweet in which he expresses his satisfaction.

You must have a huge problem with the guy if you choose to interpret this as "I did it all myself, with just a logo and my own PC" Vs "back then I had just lost everything but ffwd 3 years DS is releasing".

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017

I think there are a lot of people here who are young and haven't played and/or don't know the influence and impact of Metal Gear Solid.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I mean, going from losing your job, staff, engine, every line of code of every title you've been working on all your life, having to start from scratch and releasing an AAA title in 3 years more than warrants a small tweet in which he expresses his satisfaction.

You must have a huge problem with the guy if you choose to interpret this as "I did it all myself, with just a logo and my own PC" Vs "back then I had just lost everything but ffwd 3 years DS is releasing".

It's really not a stretch to think this. Sorry, it's just an eye-roll inducing tweet when considering the obstacles that most independent studios go through.

"Had dream and connection that's all."

He forgot loads of money and resources. Sorry if I'm not that impressed.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019

- His next game is a PS4 exclusive
- He gets a lot of praise and those that don't agree get upset. "Stop liking what I don't like"
- Arguably the most popular and well known active gaming director. The more popular you are the more hate you get. Fact of life.
- He occassionally makes some dumb tweets. That is enough to send people into a fit of rage.

Add all that together and you get a shitstorm in every Kojima topic.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
- His next game is a PS4 exclusive
- He gets a lot of praise and those that don't agree get upset. "Stop liking what I don't like"
- Arguably the most popular and well known active gaming director. The more popular you are the more hate you get. Fact of life.
- He occassionally makes some dumb tweets. That is enough to send people into a fit of rage.

Add all that together and you get a shitstorm in every Kojima topic.

Yeah, that could be it.

I was honestly surprised by the hate towards him here. I thought I had missed something.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
So the guy writes about how relieved he feels and Era experts think that's dumb and that the really smart ones are themselves with these comments?
Wow

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Presentations still not released in English???...

Nope. The 30 minute Safe House one from Saturday is supposed to be uploaded tomorrow according to IGN.

I did find someone who was translating the videos including all the dialog here.

It's actually been interesting, like explaining the Chiral Printer and he also brings up a interesting point and line of dialog about Sam taking aid to Port Knot City including eggs and sperm "from the outside" to help diversify their population....why not just do it the ol' fashioned way? lol Did the Death Stranding event or Time Fall have a negative effect on reproduction?

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. The 30 minute Safe House one from Saturday is supposed to be uploaded tomorrow according to IGN.

I did find someone who was translating the videos including all the dialog here.

It's actually been interesting, like explaining the Chiral Printer and he also brings up a interesting point and line of dialog about Sam taking aid to Port Knot City including eggs and sperm "from the outside" to help diversify their population....why not just do it the ol' fashioned way? lol Did the Death Stranding event or Time Fall have a negative effect on reproduction?
Thanks so much for the vid.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Not to hate on Kojima but this is hardly an inspiring story if you have that type "connections". Also never forget what he did to david hayter and stefanie joosten.

What did he do to them?

I'd say look at what he did for them, no one knew who Stefanie is and David would just be a barely known screenwriter for comic movies.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
What's wrong with being happy he went independent? Seriously?

Nothing at all! I just find it hilarious he's acting like some small, unknown indie developer working from his garage while he definitely has money, a huge Kojima brand and tons of connections in the industry. So when you have all that and you're like "Oh, I'm just starting from scratch, really have nothing apart from my PC and notepad but LOOK I MADE THIS HUGE GAME" it just looks silly IMO :)

I like his games but man, y'all so ready to defend some celebrity superstars with huge egos.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing at all! I just find it hilarious he's acting like some small, unknown indie developer working from his garage while he definitely has money, a huge Kojima brand and tons of connections in the industry. So when you have all that and you're like "Oh, I'm just starting from scratch, really have nothing apart from my PC and notepad but LOOK I MADE THIS HUGE GAME" it just looks silly IMO :)

I like his games but man, y'all so ready to defend some celebrity superstars with huge egos.

He'd spent his career at Konami. Nearly three decades of working for them and suddenly he got fired and had to do something he'd never done before (start a company and then hire people). Of course he's not some unknown developer, but going from knowing where you're going to work and who you're going to work with for nearly three decades to having to figure out how to start doing all of that on your own isn't an easy task for anyone when they have no experience with it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

How has he acted like he's an unknown indie developer working from his garage?

Saying you're an indy dev doesn't necessarily mean you're a low budget tiny or unknown studio, it can just mean you're an independent one. And he's had to build a new studio from scratch, nothing wrong with being proud of that.

Jun 24, 2019
So far I like the neat little mechanics. The actions you can do to interact with BB, the resting actions and the Safe Room are great.

My concern is the pacing of the game. I don't want the entirety of the game to be focused on traversing. Hopefully there would be ton of challenges to balance it out.

Jun 26, 2018

I honestly think most of his "ego" exists in your head.

Him saying he became independent does not mean he's saying he is a low-budget indie developer.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I honestly think most of his "ego" exists in your head.

Him saying he became independent does not mean he's saying he is a low-budget indie developer.
Yeah, its like that little girl eating cracker pic. I didn't get the impression that Kojima is bragging from that tweet, and what he did is pretty amazing indeed making game like Death Stranding in under 3 years considering he had to recruit staff and look for engine etc

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The turnaround for getting this studio up and running and developing and releasing a big holiday AAA game that's not walking a trodden path that fits into typical genres, all from scratch in under four years, is a great feat.