• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, sorry for the late reply I took the time to watch it and yeah it was a programmer who wanted to stabilise the game whilst Kojima wanted to polish it.

That's some really funny stuff, Japanese developers/directors like Yoko are always entertaining.
Yep, Taro's antics are even better than Kojima's trolling, both are great though :)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm not really a fan of how this thread is devolving into general meta-commentary on how Kojima is being treated on Era and other parts of the internet so let's talk about the game, shall we?

I watched the TGS gameplay demo yesterday for the second time (with english translation this time round) and I'm super curious to the extent we as players can build these megastructures together (highways etc) and how deep it all goes. The general idea I got is that you can see megastructures in development and they will be labelled as such in the environment and you can then drop supplies near them to help contribute to the development of it (the construction of 'em won't be on a timer hopefully). The player that contributes the most to this structure gets their name on it.

Thing is, once these are completed, are they permanent? Could they slowly tear down as a result of the harsh environment? Can you just build these anywhere or is it just certain designated locations? Would we have to maintain them regularly with other players? So many questions lol. I'm really interested in this trailblazing aspect of the game.

I really like the idea that Void Outs could destroy structures that you spent a long time building with others, disappearing from your world but not there's.

wyXcKzr.png

Also I think it's clever that the in-universe justification as to why you don't run into many NPCs (outside of enemy units like MULE) is because they're all underground.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I haven't been watching the more in-depth gameplay stuff so I can go in blind. This will be the first game I bought Day one since fuckin BLOODBORNE.

But I think I'm gonna break and watch some stuff today

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I haven't been watching the more in-depth gameplay stuff so I can go in blind. This will be the first game I bought Day one since fuckin BLOODBORNE.

But I think I'm gonna break and watch some stuff today
I told myself I'd only watch the first TGS demo and not the Private Room stuff. It's been hard not doing so lol. Supposedly there's a lot of little surprises in it which I'd prefer to discover myself.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I'm not really a fan of how this thread is devolving into general meta-commentary on how Kojima is being treated on Era and other parts of the internet so let's talk about the game, shall we?

I watched the TGS gameplay demo yesterday for the second time (with english translation this time round) and I'm super curious to the extent we as players can build these megastructures together (highways etc) and how deep it all goes. The general idea I got is that you can see megastructures in development and they will be labelled as such in the environment and you can then drop supplies near them to help contribute to the development of it (the construction of 'em won't be on a timer hopefully). The player that contributes the most to this structure gets their name on it.

Thing is, once these are completed, are they permanent? Could they slowly tear down as a result of the harsh environment? Can you just build these anywhere or is it just certain designated locations? Would we have to maintain them regularly with other players? So many questions lol. I'm really interested in this trailblazing aspect of the game.

I really like the idea that Void Outs could destroy structures that you spent a long time building with others, disappearing from your world but not there's.

wyXcKzr.png

Also I think it's clever that the in-universe justification as to why you don't run into many NPCs (outside of enemy units like MULE) is because they're all underground.

There's something very much like the Tomorrow Children going on in this game I can't put my finger on it. He should show us a void out and the aftermath of it in gameplay form, that's what I have been waiting for.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was a very interesting post about a potential inspiration from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I'm not exactly sure where it will lead though, is Death Stranding intended to be like a religious experience?

One thing not mentioned in the post is Mercer being in a perpetual cycle of death and resurrection from a 'tomb world' where he has to wait for the bones of living things to become flesh again. (will be hilarious if killing the skeletons in DS will just prolong your time in Hades)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
There's something very much like the Tomorrow Children going on in this game I can't put my finger on it. He should show us a void out and the aftermath of it in gameplay form, that's what I have been waiting for.
I'm gonna be honest, I think the specifics of the voidouts and the process of Sam dying in this game is the one absolute thing Kojima doesn't want to reveal before the game launches. People talk about how he doesn't wanna spoil the story or that there's going to be a huge gameplay twist but if there's anything that'll fit that role, it's voidouts/dying. There's been a huge amount of secrecy involved with this particular mechanic especially when you look into concepts/people related to it like Hades/the other side, Cliff, BB, and how Sam of all people can return from voidouts (extinction factor?).

To this day, I have no idea why Death Stranding has so much Egyptian mythos motifs (BB = Akh, Hades = Duat, Mads = Osiris - Egyptian God of the Dead ---> Akh being able to traverse the Duat (the other side), the 'mummy' in the TGA 2017 trailer with the golden funeral mask etc) and what the significance of it all is in relation to mechanics like voidouts and the game's plot/world in general.

b0JxqGs.png

It's extremely noticable with Higgs' design (look at the patterns underneath his cloak) and the official symbol representing voidouts.

iuhxrltueqi21.jpg

1513736_z.jpg

I feel it'll all make sense if we knew the gameplay process of dying and voidouts, which he naturally doesn't want to reveal. I think seeing all of this for the first time is really going to blow our minds and make a lot of the game 'click' if I'm making sense and it's this initial exposure he wants to keep secret.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To this day, I have no idea why Death Stranding has so much Egyptian mythos motifs (BB = Akh, Hades = Duat, Mads = Osiris - Egyptian God of the Dead ---> Akh being able to traverse the Duat (the other side), the 'mummy' in the TGA 2017 trailer with the golden funeral mask etc).

b0JxqGs.png

It's extremely noticable with Higgs' design (look at the patterns underneath his cloak) and the official symbol representing voidouts.

iuhxrltueqi21.jpg

1513736_z.jpg

I feel it'll all make sense if we knew the gameplay process of dying and void outs, which he naturally doesn't want to reveal. I think seeing all of this for the first time is really going to blow our minds and make a lot of the game 'click' if I'm making sense.
This is a good call out. It could have some tie in to the themes of the game, or it could just be something that Shinkawa saw and happened to get into (for instance I do character design and I like Ukranian dress - most of the time it's thamatically irrelevant but those shapes still sneak into some designs).

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017

wyXcKzr.png

I really like the idea of naturally creating roads that are easier to travel by following previous footsteps, and timefalls negating that effect. I hope it's really applied as is in the game. As for people living underground, I feel like there is a very on the nose meta commentary coming in the game ;)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I really like the idea of naturally creating roads that are easier to travel by following previous footsteps, and timefalls negating that effect. I hope it's really applied as is in the game. As for people living underground, I feel like there is a very on the nose meta commentary coming in the game ;)
It's all really cool from a game design perspective. Seeing all of these different systems come together in the open world will be really interesting.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I'm gonna be honest, I think the specifics of the voidouts and the process of Sam dying in this game is the one absolute thing Kojima doesn't want to reveal before the game launches. People talk about how he doesn't wanna spoil the story or that there's going to be a huge gameplay twist but if there's anything that'll fit that role, it's voidouts/dying. There's been a huge amount of secrecy involved with this particular mechanic especially when you look into concepts/people related to it like Hades/the other side, Cliff, BB, and how Sam of all people can return from voidouts (extinction factor?).

To this day, I have no idea why Death Stranding has so much Egyptian mythos motifs (BB = Akh, Hades = Duat, Mads = Osiris - Egyptian God of the Dead ---> Akh being able to traverse the Duat (the other side), the 'mummy' in the TGA 2017 trailer with the golden funeral mask etc) and what the significance of it all is in relation to mechanics like voidouts and the game's plot/world in general.

b0JxqGs.png

iuhxrltueqi21.jpg

1513736_z.jpg

I feel it'll all make sense if we knew the gameplay process of dying and voidouts, which he naturally doesn't want to reveal. I think seeing all of this for the first time is really going to blow our minds and make a lot of the game 'click' if I'm making sense and it's this initial exposure he wants to keep secret.

Wow this is pretty interesting the whole Egyptian stuff. The more secrecy the better, Kojima mentioned Alien and the Space Jockey always was the one unexplained thing in that movie till Prometheus. Moments like that are great in these types of mediums with a show don't tell approach. If the game has anything like that going on i'll be in my element.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wow this is pretty interesting the whole Egyptian stuff. The more secrecy the better, Kojima mentioned Alien and the Space Jockey always was the one unexplained thing in that movie till Prometheus. Moments like that are great in these types of mediums with a show don't tell approach. If the game has anything like that going on i'll be in my element.
👍👍👍👍

We're all gonna have our collective "oh shitttttt, so THAT'S how it works" moment come November 8th

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it being similar to following deer paths in the forest. You never actually see the deer forging the paths, they just gradually form over time as the deer slowly wander.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
It's all really cool from a game design perspective. Seeing all of these different systems come together in the open world will be really interesting.
I'm especially curious about the logistics behind it, how are they gonna operate with player distribution, persistent elements etc. I'd really like a behind the scenes documentary someday.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm especially curious about the logistics behind it, how are they gonna operate with player distribution, persistent elements etc. I'd really like a behind the scenes documentary someday.
I think the online aspect of the game is going to be handled in chunks, similar to Dark Souls/NieR: Automata. You don't connect to EVERYONE at the same time, it's more every new gameplay session has you put into a pool of players. That seems a lot easier to manage.

I know Kojima said you can play the game on your own but man, I feel like you wouldn't be getting the 'true' experience if you didn't go online and cooperate with others, especially with the game's heavy emphasis on connection. It seems like such an integral part of the game. I don't know why you'd wanna shut yourself off, y'know?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I think the online aspect of the game is going to be handled in chunks, similar to Dark Souls/NieR: Automata. You don't connect to EVERYONE at the same time, it's more every new gameplay session has you put into a pool of players. That seems a lot easier to manage.
Ok but then it means it isnt persistent from session to session? Like if I'm currently playing, and in my session I see a bridge made by Joe but not finished, I contribute materials to finish it, then save and disconnect. Will I not be in the same session as Joe's bridge when I reconnect if player distribution is random everytime? In that case it could be explained in game as timefalls distroyed the bridge then

Oct 26, 2017
Ok but then it means it isnt persistent from session to session? Like if I'm currently playing, and in my session I see a bridge made by Joe but not finished, I contribute materials to finish it, then save and disconnect. Will I not be in the same session as Joe's bridge when I reconnect if player distribution is random everytime? In that case it could be explained in game as timefalls distroyed the bridge then

It can't be made that reliable, because you could have the situation where someone else has built a bridge or other building in an overlapping spot as Joe did.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
It can't be made that reliable, because you could have the situation where someone else has built a bridge in an overlapping spot as Joe.
But then how do i receive likes from my bridge when people cross it? It can only happen in my session while I'm connected? Dont get me wrong it makes sense and might be exactly how it works, I just find it very interesting to think about. What if they found a way to have persistent stuff or at least semi persistent for a period of time?

Oct 26, 2017
But then how do i receive likes from my bridge when people cross it? It can only happen in my session while I'm connected? Dont get me wrong it makes sense and might be exactly how it works, I just find it very interesting to think about. What if they found a way to have persistent stuff or at least semi persistent for a period of time?

I'm not sure but being online could be part of it, like all your non-decayed items could get instanced to a server when you log in, and stay there for a while, and more popular things could stick around longer.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure but being online could be part of it, like all your non-decayed items could get instanced to a server when you log in, and stay there for a while, and more popular things could stick around longer.
Interesting, your constructions could be kinda part of your "inventory" and be transported between instances from session to session and only persist if they are "succesfull" otherwise its timefall. That could work and would be pretty cool

Maybe they could also have "metadata" taking all players data in consideration for things like terrain formation, like the natural path will be created depending on how many people walk there worldwide

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, your constructions could be kinda part of your "inventory" and be transported between instances from session to session and only persist if they are "succesfull" otherwise its timefall. That could work and would be pretty cool

Maybe they could also have "metadata" taking all players data in consideration for things like terrain formation, like the natural path will be created depending on how many people walk there worldwide

Yeah I'm unsure how the terrain thing will work, if someone has built a popular shelter for example, you could get a lot of footprints along a certain path towards it, but if the shelter wasn't there, the path wouldn't lead anywhere special.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it' actually based on worldwide player data while being instanced for number of players by session, so in the long run it would be the same for everyone. I don't know if this even makes sense lol

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I really hope they don't show anything more about Hades and the mechanics attached to it until i can play the game

Because I couldn't resist and would watch

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Can't wait for it, not only the game experience but jumping on here to discuss and figure things out together !
giphy.gif

Same. Understanding the game together as we go along is gonna be great.

I haven't order anything yet because I mostly go digital, but I'd like only a steelcase version, I don't know if it exists though?
It does yeah. Are you in the US? I'm in the UK and GAME stock this version for an extra £20. I wanna get this but maaaaaaaaan, I really want to play the game as soon as it unlocks at midnight and there's no guarantee that I receive this on launch day.

D7R2kry.png

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Oh shit! Is it actually playable or.....? My Google Fu translates it as "first hand access" but that has me wondering if it's like an exclusive theater or something since the next paragraph goes into more detail about actual playable games for the first time in Brazil.

Yeah, it's very confusing. The text says: "Here's a list of games that also will be playable for the fist time".

As I said in the SIE topic, they might have some new gameplay trailer to be shown there, maybe in PT-BR, since Sony already confirmed that the game will receive subtitles and voice overs in Portuguese?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Same. Understanding the game together as we go along is gonna be great.

It does yeah. Are you in the US? I'm in the UK and GAME stock this version for an extra £10. I wanna get this but maaaaaaaaan, I really want to play the game as soon as it unlocks at midnight and there's no guarantee that I receive this on launch day.

D7R2kry.png
I'm in France, it's always the same issue for me though lol, getting the steelcase means not getting to play it when it unlocks, and I know if I go physical I'll end up double dipping to play when it unlocks, especially when the next monday after release is bank holiday here :)
Thats why my only steelcases are SF5, Dark Souls 3, Nier:A and Spidey, and that's just because the shop assured me I would get it before release. I'll try for DS but I think it won't work^^

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had plan of triple dipping.

CE. I need that pod baby in my life.
A digital copy. So it unlocks at midnight, as well as saving wear and tear on my disc drive.
A physical copy. But only if i was able to find a shop that broke the street date, by at least a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.