• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
My only hope is that they made changes to the shots when 2 people are talking, it was the only static thing in Horizon, only shots and "counter shots"(just realised I don't know the correct english for "contre-plan" lol)
I think the only situations in Death Stranding that would require any sort of shot/reverse shot is when you're talking to the holograms of people underground from terminals, otherwise everything else is going to be the Kojima-directed cutscenes we're used to. Makes sense as we can't exactly interact with others out in the wild like most RPGs or whatever would have you do. MGS was kinda similar in that regard. Watching the Heartman character spotlight really reminded me that this is a Kojima game lol.

hG0oV7W.jpg

Last edited:

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I think the only situations in Death Stranding that would require any sort of shot/reverse shot is when you're talking to the holograms of people underground from terminals, otherwise everything else is going to be the Kojima-directed cutscenes we're used to. Makes sense as we can't exactly interact with others out in the wild like most RPGs or whatever would have you do. MGS was kinda similar in that regard. Watching the Heartman character spotlight really reminded me that this is a Kojima game lol.

hG0oV7W.jpg

Usually the english term is "shot / reverse shot".
Thanks !
Indeed the Heartman cutscene is very reassuring visually when compared to a discution between 2 characters in Horizon. But that was litteraly my only "gripe" with the game, the rest was great.
If there is one thin I'm not worried about for DS it's cutscene direction ^^

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still surprised and kinda mad Fragile hasn't got a trailer yet unlike the other characters on the game (Except Mads' character but he's been on a lot of the promotional content so it's fine?)

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I'm still surprised and kinda mad Fragile hasn't got a trailer yet unlike the other characters on the game (Except Mads' character but he's been on a lot of the promotional content so it's fine?)
I consider E3 2018 to be Fragile's show, but I get what you mean.
I think she's too important to have her backstory shown yet, tbh the only ones I feel have most of their stories defined in the trailers are Sam, Heartman, Amelie, and Mama.
Deadman, DieHard-Man, Fragile, Cliff, Higgs are still pretty much mysteries with hints thrown in.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Eh, the game is close enough so I'd rather we get to see for ourselves. The launch trailer is coming soon so maybe you'll get to see her then ^^

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think the E3 2018 trailer was her trailer

I guess? I think I'd like a more focused trailer, like the one Heartman has. I love that trailer so much.

Eh, the game is close enough so I'd rather we get to see for ourselves. The launch trailer is coming soon so maybe you'll get to see her then ^^

I sure hope she does. Isn't she one of the lesser shown characters so far? It's between her and Higgs, I'd say.

Oct 26, 2017
A landmark I noticed, possibly the second mission of the game, or first if you don't count the intro one. It leads to a building 1km South West from Captial Knot City. I'm assuming it's early on because they make a point of showing Sam plugging in the BB Pod when he's there.

untitled10k7w.jpg

edit: I mirrored the last one because he's looking at the mountain from the other side, not because the footage was mirrored.

Last edited:

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
This one (not in English unfortunately)
You kind of have to take my word for it but the host says that he will be playing Death Stranding in a few days and that it is encouraging for the game that Sony is releasing review codes 3 weeks ahead of release.
Again grain of salt but the guy is one of the biggest gaming Youtubers in Greece and I trust him.

Thanks for explaining, someone from DS Reddit has also told me Monday so there's more coming together to support that news.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Thought I heard some already had codes including Reiner at Game Informer.

Either way folks will be having hands on time this weekend at PAX, i just hope theres no NDA so we get some impressions.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
Thought I heard some already had codes including Reiner at Game Informer.

Either way folks will be having hands on time this weekend at PAX, i just hope theres no NDA so we get some impressions.
Wait, the game is playable at PAX Australia??, I'm actually on a flight down to PAX as we speak...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Hmm, was hoping for more impressions :/

At least the one we got sounds excited.
Just because it's closed doors doesn't mean we aren't gonna get impressions lol. The Cyberpunk demo at E3 was closed doors but we got a bunch of impressions.

I just wonder if there's any point in any more media coverage considering the game is out in 28 days and Kojima clearly wants us to go in not knowing much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

"Death Stranding's environment is one of the scariest and immersive I've ever experienced in a videogame. Although the world may seem barren and void of life, it never feels like you are truly alone… and it is terrifying. You don't know what will pop out from where and it feels like there is this larger than life presence constantly watching you through the friggen' clouds! It feels like Hideo Kojima took the Silent Hills vibe and injected it with steroids," the journalist said.

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
Can't wait to see that launch trailer. The hype is becoming real here, I can imagine this game existing and playing it, oh yes...!

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You must've not played Horizon? I can't believe that anyone who actually played Horizon wouldn't be able to remember moment's like these:

48876245157_00c56b10a8_o.png

48876234182_4bf3c00076_o.png

48875500293_47076dc5a8_o.png

It's crazy how different Horizon and DS are in terms of lighting and color palette.

I did and you don't need to turn my simple yes or no question into a snarky attack.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't meant to be snarky or an attack. ;) I honestly am very surprised one would forget the amazing sunsets and nights in the game if one played it.
Honestly, Horizon's nights didn't really feel like nights until Frozen Wilds. I certainly remember the handful of times the game turned green, but it never felt like a true day/night cycle.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I did and you don't need to turn my simple yes or no question into a snarky attack.

Wow you're easily insulted. I agree it's pretty baffling someone that has actually played HZD doesn't remember if it has a day and night cycle (or you could've just googled it within 3 seconds so you didn't have to be subject to this brutal "snarky attack").

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I really wanna play this game lol. I know it's cheap as fuck but I don't really have time to go through a massive open-world (saving that for DS ;)). I'm holding out hope that Sony put it on PS Now so I download it and check it out.
Its fantastic, go for it.
You must've not played Horizon? I can't believe that anyone who actually played Horizon wouldn't be able to remember moment's like these:

48876245157_00c56b10a8_o.png

48876234182_4bf3c00076_o.png

48875500293_47076dc5a8_o.png

It's crazy how different Horizon and DS in terms of lighting and color palette.
This game is still looking so gorgeous.
Death Stranding does seem to pull some technically ridiculous stuff like black goo sea rising and lowering dynamically when you encounter a catcher (thats the name right?), not even being done in a cutscene, i have no idea how was some stuff in there accomplished, i remember some developers even saying the same on twitter.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Wow you're easily insulted. I agree it's pretty baffling someone that has actually played HZD doesn't remember if it has a day and night cycle (or you could've just googled it within 3 seconds so you didn't have to be subject to this brutal "snarky attack").

This got me thinking and I actually don't remember if a lot of open world games had a real night/day cycle, I remember all those games (For ex: Sleeping Dogs, sunset overdrive, Mafia 2, Assassins creed, etc...) having missions at night but I can't recall if there was a real transition or if it was a prebaked thing. So I would probably say the same thing as the guy you quoted.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
He's describing the gazers which we've already seen in at least 3 gameplay segments now. He's clearly over reacting.

Its quite possible that she hasn't seen the previous trailers to know this or even know what they're called. lol

Personally however i think the article is a dupe as the whole site looks suspect when you look at their other front page stories....lol

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Alright, PAX Aus is a go. Death Stranding screenings are on Sunday. Not long now till we (hopefully) get some impressions.

EGjFCf8UwAAjthd.jpg

EGjFg_CUEAA-2rs.jpg

EGjLpfMWsAEMGHQ.jpg

Its quite possible that she hasn't seen the previous trailers to know this or even know what they're called. lol

Personally however i think the article is a dupe as the whole site looks suspect when you look at their other front page stories....lol
Yeh, I'm thinking this too tbh. Site looks sketchy and the """preview""" itself doesn't really go in-depth with anything and just describes everything we've seen so far. Plus it's poorly written with a bunch of typos everywhere.

Last edited:

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, PAX Aus is a go. Death Stranding screenings are on Sunday. Not long now till we (hopefully) get some impressions.

EGjFCf8UwAAjthd.jpg

EGjFg_CUEAA-2rs.jpg

EGjLpfMWsAEMGHQ.jpg

Yeh, I'm thinking this too tbh. Site looks sketchy and the """preview""" itself doesn't really go in-depth with anything and just describes everything we've seen so far. Plus it's poorly written with a bunch of typos everywhere.
Sweet, so we're gonna get hands on impressions articles around Sunday then :)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Sweet, so we're gonna get hands on impressions articles around Sunday then :)
Mhmmm...

Today at the Death Stranding booth, all they screened was the TGS gameplay demo with English subs and if you were there, you got a free FRAGILE pin. I have no idea if they're just going to do the same thing for Sunday or if they're going to screen new gameplay but I'm not holding my breath. Also this confirms that article was bull, there's no special media screening, anyone can just walk in.

Looks like the final Death Stranding related thing we'll see before reviews and launch is the launch trailer.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Mhmmm...

Today at the Death Stranding booth, all they screened was the TGS gameplay demo with English subs and if you were there, you got a free FRAGILE pin. I have no idea if they're just going to do the same thing for Sunday or if they're going to screen new gameplay but I'm not holding my breath. Also this confirms that article was bull, there's no special media screening, anyone can just walk in.

Looks like the final Death Stranding related thing we'll see before reviews and launch is the launch trailer.

Well it will save me the conundrum of choosing to watch or not then :)

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like the collectors edition has had more stock allotted or something here in Japan cause a few sites now have it up for open preorder

Jan 21, 2018
Seems like the collectors edition has had more stock allotted or something here in Japan cause a few sites now have it up for open preorder
Yeah, I've noticed over here Best Buy and a few other places seem to get it back in stock for preorder quite often. I have one pre-ordered but I don't know if I wanna keep it or just get the Special Edition...

Jun 26, 2018
right , but still you guys didnt play it, he did. Yet some are saying he's overreacting to something HE actually played? lol wow
Edit: removed tweet saying the blog post was fake..

If you read the blog post then there's an editor's note at the bottom that says that they couldn't verify with the writer that she had actually had a hands-on.

Last edited:

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I've noticed over here Best Buy and a few other places seem to get it back in stock for preorder quite often. I have one pre-ordered but I don't know if I wanna keep it or just get the Special Edition...
I got both in with the special edition already paid off. Still going back and forth on the collectors myself but at least I've got one if I want it

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who he is, it was posted in the other thread, will remove if he's a bad person.
He is not, but he is closely associated with a terrible one, which is his brother. They share a channel which is pure trash.

Also, the editor on the article:

"Note from the editor: Erina Rose has been a close associate of mine for many years and has often provided us with valuable industry information. Although I can vouch for her authenticity, I cannot vouch for the validity of this article. I have asked her to provide proof that she has had "hands-on" time with the game which she was unable to provide.

After a lengthy discussion with the PR and Partnership manager for PlayStation Australia I have made the decision to make a full retraction and ask the reader to be sceptical about the information the author has
disclosed. "

Status
Not open for further replies.