• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
None of this bothers me, the important thing for me is that the game has good controls and is good to play, has a story and interesting characters,do you know what I find boring to death? JRPG, I could write all the problems these games have to me, but I know a lot of people like them and I don't have to go through all the threads about a JRPG and say why I think these games seems boring.Different tastes.

If the only reason you come to a forum is to read opinions in lockstep with your own, you'd be better off talking about video games in front of a mirror.

Oct 25, 2017
I think what has legitimately frustrated me about the lead up to this game is how the narrative has changed and how fickle people are.

When Kojima announced he would be working with SCE to make a game everyone was on his side shouting fuckkonami etc

But now that narrative has changed. Because DS isn't the game they imagined people have turned on Kojima and act like Konami was right all along

It's made the lead up to this game annoying because people are treating it like "this game must be good in order to prove Kojima makes good games"

Some of the takes on era about it have been so bad.

Sep 21, 2019
I've been so on the fence about this game ever since the first reveal of in-game footage showing Norman walking around with a backpack and just playing with ladders and the like. The new gameplay footage has done nothing to convince me that this game will be good, either. I fucking LOVED MGS V and of course the classic Metal Gear games, and Stranding looks set to have a lot of intricate systems in place, but the gameplay looks cumbersome as fuck. Sure, the environments are gorgeous and all, but I don't see a world in which this game doesn't divide critics and players, with the majority of people thinking it has some good ideas but that it isn't a very good/great game.

I'm predicting a high 70/low 80 review score, and some backlash with players about the game being too repetitive and a bit boring, frankly.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Fun is subjective. Some people have fun farming stuff in Destiny doing the same thing over and over. Some people have fun playing stuff like Civilization. It's a stupid thing to say that a game is not fun because you don't like its design.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
If the only reason you come to a forum is to read opinions in lockstep with your own, you'd be better off talking about video games in front of a mirror.
Sorry,did I hit a nerve? I just said what's boring to me, it's not for you and vice versa, and I don't need to tell anyone that what they like and think interesting is boring as an actual fact as you have said so many times here.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I swear we have the same cycle before every big release. I ought to just ignore all DS threads until Nov 8th.
The bigger the game, the more people will give their opinions, which means the higher chance of stupid hot takes. Plus people who aren't even really interested in the game will still want to give their opinion as they want to be part of the conversation and not feel left out.

Plus the Kojima factor which makes it even worse, as it is a big game with an actual target/person people can direct their anger towards unlike other big games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think what has legitimately frustrated me about the lead up to this game is how the narrative has changed and how fickle people are.

When Kojima announced he would be working with SCE to make a game everyone was on his side shouting fuckkonami etc

But now that narrative has changed. Because DS isn't the game they imagined people have turned on Kojima and act like Konami was right all along

It's made the lead up to this game annoying because people are treating it like "this game must be good in order to prove Kojima makes good games"

Some of the takes on era about it have been so bad.

Is someone who finds everything about this game elementally unappealing supposed to stan for it just because Kojima is making it?

It's Kojima's job to sell his product to consumers and if he's doing a bad job of that he's going to lose support. That's how marketing works. I was excited when Sony and Kojima announced they were doing a project together and I was even more excited early in the process when some fake plot details about the game leaked out.

Unfortunately ever since he's started showing gameplay I've found every single display of the game some of the most boring nonsense I've ever experienced. Am I supposed to ignore the fact that not one thing he's shown of the gameplay has looked fun or even mildly entertaining and just keep being hopeful?

At some point, "trust me" isn't good enough anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Is someone who finds everything about this game elementally unappealing supposed to stan for it just because Kojima is making it?

It's Kojima's job to sell his product to consumers and if he's doing a bad job of that he's going to lose support. That's how marketing works. I was excited when Sony and Kojima announced they were doing a project together and I was even more excited early in the process when some fake plot details about the game leaked out.

Unfortunately ever since he's started showing gameplay I've found every single display of the game some of the most boring nonsense I've ever experienced. Am I supposed to ignore the fact that not one thing he's shown of the gameplay has looked fun or even mildly entertaining and just keep being hopeful?

Then don't buy the video game?

Like, I genuinely don't understand why people struggle to just say I'm not going to buy the game instead of going on tirades about how "Kojima was always a bad game designer" etc?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I've noticed Sony have managed to put an airtight lock on the trophy list leaking out before launch. This is the first time I've ever seen this, even God of War's trophy list leaked a good while before launch, same with Red Dead.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
I've noticed Sony have managed to put an airtight lock on the trophy list leaking out before launch. This is the first time I've ever seen this, even God of War's trophy list leaked a good while before launch, same with Red Dead.
I'm surprised I didn't see the guy who leaked the tropies for RDR 2, GOW, as well.

The trophies must have a lot of juicy spoilers in them.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

By now you should have realised this game is just not for you and you should have moved on instead of being so active in all Death Stranding threads. The game will not magically appeal to you the more you whine about it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Then don't buy the video game?

Like, I genuinely don't understand why people struggle to just say I'm not going to buy the game instead of going on tirades about how "Kojima was always a bad game designer" etc?

To be fair, have I ever once said Kojima was always a bad game designer? My issues here are localized around this specific game.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, have I ever once said Kojima was always a bad game designer? My issues here are localized around this specific game.

Being more fair, in my initial post did I ever call you out specifically?

I was talking about a particular group of people on Era acting like this game is the "defacto proof" of Kojimas ability as a game designer

The post was never about you. Just my irritation with how fickle people were being

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Being more fair, in my initial post did I ever call you out specifically?

I was talking about a particular group of people on Era acting like this game is the "defacto proof" of Kojimas ability as a game designer

The post was never about you. Just my irritation with how fickle people were being

I think honestly part of it is just that people tend to bristle and push back against stuff like the 'genius' posturing.

Kojima's been talking a really, really big game the past couple of years (and more specifically, the press has been overly eager to indulge that), and as a result people who don't find much of anything to latch onto with the game now that it's being shown in earnest are kind of reacting to that. It's a "that's it?" kind of reaction.

And then of course there are just some people who hate Kojima, PERIOD, and will find any excuse possible to shit on him.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017

I'll get the game no matter what tho. I dont care about review scores, never did. I know i'll like this game. The world/atmosphere looks amazing, the story is probably decent with some crazy kojima twists and im all in for the weird cutscenes. Also i love Madds and the gameplay being slow and cozy is a plus for me

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'll get the game no matter what tho. I dont care about review scores, never did. I know i'll like this game. The world/atmosphere looks amazing, the story is probably decent with some crazy kojima twists and im all in for the weird cutscenes. Also i love Madds and the gameplay being slow and cozy is a plus for me
I feel you to a certain extent. but if DS gets 70's or lower meta and a lot of critics are dogging it i doubt I'll be there day one. Sure there's situations where critics and community strongly disagree (Days Gone) but generally speaking, I trust the overall aggregate of game reviews. if it's 80+ and up usually a great game, but it's hard to get low 70's or 65's today, even with critics more critical. Something major is usually wrong with the game. even with Days Gone, even the folks who love it admit its a slow start and lacks some polish in the opening hours.

With movies it's more diverse, like Joker is considered critically bad in RT and I don't understand that at all. Critics in game usually get it more tight than that.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a Kojima game, I'd be disappointed with anything below 90, the same goes for ND, R and other top studios.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a low 70s/high 60s game I'll probably cancel my Pro preorder. No need to be staring at that for the next year or so.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
There are plenty of games in the 80s range that are better than games in the 90s range.
Was literally going to post something along these lines. Anything over 80, whether it's on my radar pre-release or not, is worth playing/looking into for me. If it's a game that I'm really interested in to begin with then an +80 is easily a deal clincher.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
No talk beyond Chapter 3 doesn't really say anything because we don't know how long a chapter is.

I mean MGSV has two chapters lol

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It has less to do with chapter length and more to do with story and gameplay twists.
Yeah, if the game does a 180, it is a big deal when this occurs. Like something major changing towards the end of the game isn't as mindblowing if it were to occur earlier on.

Either way I do remember Kojima mentioning something about the game really takes off halfway through. Plus Yoshida did mention something about halfway as well. So I guess this is when it occurs.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's a Kojima game, I'd be disappointed with anything below 90, the same goes for ND, R and other top studios.
We're you disappointed with Uncharted Lost Legacy then? I thought it was better than Uncharted 4. Really don't care much about review scores, more interested in feedback on here tbh.

Some of my favourite games this gen have been in the 70/80s and vice versa.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I feel you to a certain extent. but if DS gets 70's or lower meta and a lot of critics are dogging it i doubt I'll be there day one. Sure there's situations where critics and community strongly disagree (Days Gone) but generally speaking, I trust the overall aggregate of game reviews. if it's 80+ and up usually a great game, but it's hard to get low 70's or 65's today, even with critics more critical. Something major is usually wrong with the game. even with Days Gone, even the folks who love it admit its a slow start and lacks some polish in the opening hours.

With movies it's more diverse, like Joker is considered critically bad in RT and I don't understand that at all. Critics in game usually get it more tight than that.

No way this is a 70 or lower.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
No way this is a 70 or lower.
hope you're right buddy, really want to play something special next month and Hideo has certainly gotten me hyped. Plus, I haven't really enjoyed a game in a while nothing is particularly grabbing me. I'm must be in a gaming or rut or something. I'm looking a Persona 5, MGSV, Yakuza 0, and Witcher 3, and Control like hmmmm..don't wanna start any of this!! Baahumbug...

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We're you disappointed with Uncharted Lost Legacy then? I thought it was better than Uncharted 4. Really don't care much about review scores, more interested in feedback on here tbh.

Some of my favourite games this gen have been in the 70/80s and vice versa.
LL is different and same goes for DLCs, I also haven't really played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.