• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought BB's Theme, which I didn't know had a title was a song from some other source. Now that I find that it's an original creation from Forsell, I'm hyped.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
One day and two hours until Metacritic review scores.

GET ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!

2b6.jpg

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Going to keep an eye on Big Saru's channel on YouTube. He always did the most fun shit with MGS. can't wait to see what he gets out of DS (assuming he's getting it)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the spoiler thread at? Closed?

have a cool Easter egg idea I kinda wanted to see if anyone thought of

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to keep an eye on Big Saru's channel on YouTube. He always did the most fun shit with MGS. can't wait to see what he gets out of DS (assuming he's getting it)

I've been looking forward to the magic that wizard is going to create.
Where's the spoiler thread at? Closed?

have a cool Easter egg idea I kinda wanted to see if anyone thought of

Last edited:

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I watched the trailer in 4k now and OMG.... This is too awesome!
I mean yeah there are probably scenes from the later parts but whatever I still can't get spoiled by them.
What a ride, we've been waiting for this it feels like forever.,..
And it's so close now!

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Naughty Dog is way too inconsistent with each project to make me even consider them for vaguely "Game of the Generation" stuff. I didn't like Uncharted 4 very much at all, but I am hopeful that The Last of Us 2 will be solid.

If we're talking the most satisfying, rewarding, and impressive titles for the PlayStation 4 line-up, then it's Bloodborne that takes the crown for me, with God of War following close behind. The former is just an absolute gem and one of my all time favourite games. The latter turned me from someone who thought the franchise was painfully mediocre to a huge fan.

With Death Stranding I'm expecting a lot of typical Kojima bunk that subjectively drags down my perception of the project, namely dialogue, performances, and characters. Don't get me wrong, I love Metal Gear Solid and its trademark style, but there's always this weird lost-in-translation kitschiness to a lot of the dialogue. Kojima often has no concept of subtlety and his titles sometimes descend into cringy melodramatic parodies of themselves. There's always really good ideas within, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired, even if I can still find fun in it. Metal Gear Solid 4 is absolutely atrocious with this kind of stuff, but the actual premise and exploration of a cyber dystopia are super cool. I've got friends who are deranged anime fans, and even they often laugh and have a hard time processing some of the extremely hammy dialogue in Metal Gear Solid.

So yeah. I'm expecting this to be a 'problem' with Death Stranding. I know I'll enjoy it irrespectively, but it's totally gonna have some dumb melodrama and really corny dialogue that takes itself way, way too seriously and is disconnected from organic delivery and natural flow of how people actually talk. But that's become part of the charm with Kojima's stuff, in a way. I can't pretend it's good, but I can say I enjoy it.

More than anything though I just want to be surprised with the gameplay, and said gameplay appropriately conveys its core themes and concepts through mechanics. I adore what I've seen, it looks totally original and different from what Kojima has become known for. It looks a bit off putting and not at all what you'd expect from "AAA SONY PUBLISHED TITLE FROM THE CREATOR OF WORLD FAMOUS GAME SERIES METAL GEAR SOLID", but that just makes me anticipate it all the more.

I can take the hammy dialogue and stretches of walking simulator, if I can walk away from the complete package as a whole feeling what I experienced was unique, surprising, and refreshing.
Fully agree with you and I've long since accepted Kojima's style of storytelling, but it's how he mixes those elements with the game's mechanics that elevates the whole package for me. Just like how bloodborne weaves its mechanics like insight, items and attires into the story and lore, I always found some of that present too in Kojima's works even if to a lesser extent.

Just from the previews it feels like Death Stranding is taking more steps to tie its themes into its gameplay than any MGS game before. And given the non-hesitation of Kojima and his team to experiment with so many weird and wacky concepts at the same time makes me very excited to see it all.

Technoxtic

Aug 30, 2019
So, I really don't wanna get spoiled on anything, but can anyone tell me how how involved the story is without spoilers (if possible lmao)?

Are we talking in a similar vein to MGSV where it's there but it's mostly background fluff for the gameplay? Or are we getting a full on MGSIV-esque narrative experience?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, but I have at least 10 sscenes that could be the one here lol!
Not me, the one I talk about is
Sam and Amelie hugging in front of what seems to be a voidout happening in the distance. But it could be a flashback, a dream or plain misdirection. And even If it's something happening in the story later, I have no context or anything, just a great looking shot

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
One last sleep till thread of the century.

So, I really don't wanna get spoiled on anything, but can anyone tell me how how involved the story is without spoilers (if possible lmao)?

Are we talking in a similar vein to MGSV where it's there but it's mostly background fluff for the gameplay? Or are we getting a full on MGSIV-esque narrative experience?
The latter.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for everyone in the review thread and here to shit all over my opinions because we're not on Metacritic :P

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not alluding to my score in any way, but the amount of people on this forum that seem to think outlets that aren't on MC are worthless depresses me sometimes.

I don't think that at all. But that post certainly made it sound like you have a negative opinion on it.

Anyway I would just ignore those people. For some metacritic is life and nothing else matters

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely wasn't intending to allude to that.

But honestly, running a smaller site that struggles to get some stuff (hell, even getting answers from certain publishers to email queries is a brick wall), but being able to get this out for review is *massive* for us. Yet of course a section of people won't even look at it because "YOU ON META?!" is the first question... The amount of hours that have gone into this one title alone... Yeah. I hope y'all will give it a look!

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Not alluding to my score in any way, but the amount of people on this forum that seem to think outlets that aren't on MC are worthless depresses me sometimes.
Speaking for me personally, I don't want to risk getting spoiled, but I do want to get a decent idea about the quality of any game I consider purchasing. This means that I almost never read reviews for story-heavy games, which means that sites like Opencritic are just the best way for me to get an overall impression of what the reviewers think of a game, while minimising potential exposure to spoilers.

I pretty much only read reviews for arcadey stuff like Beat Saber or Super Meat Boy, or sims and strategy games. Basically anything where I don't care about the story, if there even is one.

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Speaking for me personally, I don't want to risk getting spoiled, but I do want to get a decent idea about the quality of any game I consider purchasing. This means that I almost never read reviews for story-heavy games, which means that sites like Opencritic are just the best way for me to get an overall impression of what the reviewers think of a game, while minimising potential exposure to spoilers.

I pretty much only read reviews for arcadey stuff like Beat Saber or Super Meat Boy.

We're on OC, we were actually one of their contributor partners when that side of the site went live.

As for spoilers, absolutely none appear in our reviews as policy.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I absolutely wasn't intending to allude to that.

But honestly, running a smaller site that struggles to get some stuff (hell, even getting answers from certain publishers to email queries is a brick wall), but being able to get this out for review is *massive* for us. Yet of course a section of people won't even look at it because "YOU ON META?!" is the first question... The amount of hours that have gone into this one title alone... Yeah. I hope y'all will give it a look!

I will if it's positive :)

Nah will check it out

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
We're on OC, we were actually one of their contributor partners when that side of the site went live.

As for spoilers, absolutely none appear in our reviews as policy.
I have a fairly extreme definition of spoilers, but I appreciate the effort. Could you link me to your site? I'd love to read a review for an older game I've played first.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Just a question so I won't make anyone angry come tomorrow; I will be posting the English translation of my Dutch review (will be on Metacritic) in the review topic. However, my question is, how should i place the translation? Its about 1800 words. All just like you would normally post, or perhaps in a 'quote' box?

Same goes for the 20 screenshots I made. Well, I made 200 or so screenshots, but we can only post 20, so heh. Just in a quote box?

Just asking right now so I don't screw up tomorrow :/

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
*shakes fist and gives you the side-eye* :P

I was wondering what I said was wrong, but then I read your posts above me. Sorry man, didn't mean to intent that its more important to be on Metacritic or what not. I just mention it whenever I place a review (and I always do when I review), to explain why I translate it for people here. I guess it comes off a bit 'oh look at me, Im on metacritic'... sorry for that! I'll be reading your review for sure!

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I was wondering what I said was wrong, but then I read your posts above me. Sorry man, didn't mean to intent that its more important to be on Metacritic or what not. I just mention it whenever I place a review (and I always do when I review), to explain why I translate it for people here. I guess it comes off a bit 'oh look at me, Im on metacritic'... sorry for that! I'll be reading your review for sure!
No dramas here mate, was entirely in jest :)

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
I just thought about re-playing MGS3 after a long time, instead I ended up pre-ordering Death Stranding. It finally happened and now I can't wait.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
The new guy on Kinda Funny (Imran Kahn) apparently didn't like it if his latest tweet is anything to go by

Status
Not open for further replies.