• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony saw the review scores ahead of time and that's why they let Kojima announce the PC version because they didn't care anymore 😂

Oct 25, 2017
honestly critics are trying so hard in their reviews to make it read and look good but all we care about is the number

must suck doing all that effort and people will just skip to the end or read a one line summary in a mega thread

It's why I think reviews should get rid of the number.

"Too much water - 7.8" means people don't actually read reviews. They always look at the number first

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The main reason I want this game to succeed review wise it's because I want this to be a message to the industry that players still want to play different stuff and that different stuff can be made. Fuck, a lot of games this gen were just safe or following Destiny style. I wish more different ideas to be accepted and not just the next take on Destiny formula.
I hope if it reviews well it does so because it is fun to play, engaging, that sort of thing rather than just being different. It'll suck imo if we have to hear "you just don't get it or appreciate a true artiste" if people don't dig it.

naguanatak

Oct 24, 2019
Everything's gonna be fine. This game will have long legs, with all the walking involved.
Word of mouth is more important here than marketing. Imagine a more refined version of mgs v controls... At least I hope the team can bridge that gap
Presentation seems evolved, I like it.

But I liked SotC for its 'empty' design and negative space. And played NMS for over a thousand hours, so I guess the premise of walking endlessy alone sounds relaxing to me

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Don't get obsessed over a number. I admit your fear is contagious, but it can still be an outstanding experience without being (as Metacritic would wrongly put it) a universally acclaimed game. It comes to mind what happened with The Last Guardian in 2016: it got a positive 82 but more perfect scores and awards than most games that or any other year this generation.

As long as the general reaction is good and people are enthusiastic about it, this will be a game discussed for a long time (of course, it could be a disaster and also be remembered for years, but let's stay positive for once).

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's why I think reviews should get rid of the number.

"Too much water - 7.8" means people don't actually read reviews. They always look at the number first
If reviewers stop spoilling the shit out of the games maybe i would read reviews. :P Good think im able to see if im going to enjoy a game or not just by looking at game footage. And im usually on point, unless thers something broken in the game. Reading the Metacritic review quotes from diferent sorces is usually the best to me to know if thers something broken or not.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
is this leaked 9/10 review real? (Maybe spoilers in the post)

anybody read finnish?
Screencap from the thread (no spoilers in english except a couple of gameplay screens of standing/carrying things):
The review confirms it's mostly a walking simulator and might get tedious if you break too far from the main quest path. Also base building is back from MGSV.

It isn't for everyone and scores will vary wildly.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you already know, even if it gets a 90+ Kojima fans are gonna be out here reading the reviews like

4afQmH4.gif

Tonight is gonna be fun.
when the mods show up in the review thread

4c982c9daaed3eab50f4723d171966f720999c15.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The main reason I want this game to succeed review wise it's because I want this to be a message to the industry that players still want to play different stuff and that different stuff can be made. Fuck, a lot of games this gen were just safe or following Destiny style. I wish more different ideas to be accepted and not just the next take on Destiny formula.

I mean come on man. Is this not, by all appearances, an SP open world checklist objective game at its core (I like those sometimes!)? Have there been none of those this gen?

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I mean come on man. Is this not, by all appearances, an SP open world checklist objective game at its core (I like those sometimes!)? Have there been none of those this gen?
This isn't an open-world checklist lol. I don't remember an open world using traversal as main mechanic + character micromanagement. Honestly, this game is more a puzzle than action-adventure.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
If they use a 10 point scale, 8 is great.

That does t necessarily mean someone will love the game, same way a 6 doesn't mean someone can't enjoy a game, but 8/10 is a great score regardless.

At least for rational people.

Like I said, traditionally, review scores use the academic scale. 90-100 is an A, 80-90 is B, 70-80 is a C etc. People (I don't know about non-Americans) have that system hammered into them here. That's why anything under 7 is generally considered garbage.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Considering most reviewers grade games along the academic scale, 81 is pretty close to middle of the road, low for a Kojima game.

I would say the major differentiator between a "81" and a "61" (generalizing a bit here for example), normalized and taking into account that different reviewers have different views on what a "middle of the road" score is , is that certain games in the 81-ish range could be extremely important to a lot of people, despite their flaws. Parts of those are brilliant, resonate with a particular fan, etc, which makes those people willing to overlook other issues that most players would be more critical of.

So mid-tier ratings often have very passionate fans, as well as some very high reviews pulling the overall score up from the 60/70 range. As opposed to lower averages which might also be true average games, yet lack that certain something that attracts hardcore fans and the stand-out high scores.

I'm basically saying that a lot of 60-ish games are very comparable to low 80-ish games overall, outside one or two brilliant aspects that elevate the scores.

I'm a bit tipsy, so I hope that made sense!

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ask yourself a question. Do you think Kojima would be satisfied with his work scoring 81 given all his previous achievements?

Yes, he's a film fanatic and knows a bunch of all time great films that were reviled or low scoring that ended up being considered masterpieces over time.

He probably knows this type of game won't be for everyone and just want's to make something unique.

cavegift

Oct 4, 2019
honestly critics are trying so hard in their reviews to make it read and look good but all we care about is the number

must suck doing all that effort and people will just skip to the end or read a one line summary in a mega thread

...People actually think the number score means anything for games? I assumed everyone here was just joking. The only reasonable way to use review media to assess whether you'll want a game from is to find a reviewer who shares similar interests and actually read what they have to say.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ask yourself a question. Do you think Kojima would be satisfied with his work scoring 81 given all his previous achievements?
Kojima wanted so badly to do something different after being "forced" all this years tied with the Metal Ger franchise that I really doubt he cares at all... also he has stated that this game might not be for everyone.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The review confirms it's mostly a walking simulator and might get tedious if you break too far from the main quest path. Also base building is back from MGSV.

It isn't for everyone and scores will vary wildly.
I read almost the whole review and saw nothing implying that it is basically a walking simulator and that can be boring the side content.Where did say base building is back?

Status
Not open for further replies.