• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
God damn SkillUp loves this game

And yeah 84 isn't divisive as a whole, but it does seem to be fairly love it or hate it, even if most are falling on the positive side of that

And yes, that review thread is a fucking dumpster fire, filled with concern trolls who had no interest in the game crowing about negative reviews and ignoring/downplaying the vast majority of positive reviews. Such is always the case with exclusives, and when you add in Kojima hate/fanboys, you have a perfect shit storm

It wasn't this bad when reviews started flooding in. But as two continents slowly woke up to the scores, it's descended into a mess. I'm surprised at some of the regulars still trying to reason with them in that thread. It just isn't worth the effort.

I'm sure there are legitimate folks on this place who've had their minds changed due to reviews today but I'd guess they are few and far between, it's mostly folks who weren't interested in ever playing it in the first instance.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a trolls' paradise. It's as if people leave in a parallel universe where facts don't exist. It doesn't help that some people are taking the bait either. It's a shame but in its current state the review thread is completely useless, because it doesn't reflect its purpose. It's really worrisome regarding the overall state of the forum as well.
Yep, I set it to ignore and decided to move on. It's toxic as hell and brings out the worst in this forum.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I'm just gonna ask this here since I feel like the review thread is going too fast for anyone to notice or care

Have there been any positive reviews/impressions about the story and narrative and boss fights?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm just gonna ask this here since I feel like the review thread is going too fast for anyone to notice or care

Have there been any positive reviews/impressions about the story and narrative and boss fights?
I've been reading a bit and it seems most reviewers were kinda soured on the boss fights in that they're very repetitive, though there's some cool ones in there.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I've been reading a bit and it seems most reviewers were kinda soured on the boss fights in that they're very repetitive, though there's some cool ones in there.
Hm, a shame that they get repetitive but hopefully they turn out better than the Skulls Parasite Unit encounters in MGSV.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
These scores, they make reviews worthless. Who do you listen to? They're all over the place. We might actually have to make up our own minds. It's Kojima's greatest con.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The game is at 84 to 86, more perfect scores than almost every game released this year, lots of reviews over 90 and somehow haters try to paint as a trash level game, yes, it's a divisible and polarizing game, it's love or hate, as expected by many, and I have no doubt that it will win a lot of GOTY awards this year for being a single, bolder experience than any AAA out there, and we won't see another game like this for a while if ever.I see critics awarding this game, probably not the overall GOTY this year, because there are more games released this year more loved by many, but I think it will win many GOTY (I think more than MGSV), because this year the competition is not so strong, if Death Stranding were released last year, there would be no chance against God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2, and that will drive some users crazy here.
I have yet to play of course,I can either love it or hate it,but looks like this game will be a cult,followed by passionate fans and hated too.
I can't wait to play.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
That's how they always are. Review threads are stupid and pointless. It's just desperate people trying to validate their preconceived opinions over a thing they haven't even tried. There is nothing happening in that thread that in any way resembles any sort of valuable or insightful discussion.

that's why I prefer scoreless reviews

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The meta is a few points lower than I guessed (89) but honestly all those perfect scores offset by some really low ones are making me just as intrigued and excited as if it had scored higher with a more traditional spread. A game of 10s and 3s is gonna be more interesting than one of 7s and 8s, now I just hope I end up on the 10 side.

Basically Deadly Premonition 2 came earlier than we expected.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The review-thread is very, very strange. The way most of the comments are going, it appears this game is very "divisive" and "bad" and the "story sucks" and "it's boring". Yet, the numbers on metacritic are at 84 for like seventy+ reviews! Ya'll are crazy. It makes sense that certain voices are more important to people, but it's sad that some of the comments seem to ignore the general consensus surrounding this game.

It's new, it's fresh, it's breaking new ground, and so the slightly lower scores than usual make a lot of sense to me. It won't be everyone's masterpiece, but it sure seems to be many peoples' masterpiece.

I can't wait to see for myself.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
The review-thread is very, very strange. The way most of the comments are going, it appears this game is very "divisive" and "bad" and the "story sucks" and "it's boring". Yet, the numbers on metacritic are at 84 for like seventy+ reviews! Ya'll are crazy. It makes sense that certain voices are more important to people, but it's sad that some of the comments seem to ignore the general consensus surrounding this game.

It's new, it's fresh, it's breaking new ground, and so the slightly lower scores than usual make a lot of sense to me. It won't be everyone's masterpiece, but it sure seems to be many peoples' masterpiece.

I can't wait to see for myself.

It's only going to get worse when it gets nominated for GOTY. I don't think it'll win, but it's 100% getting nominated at the game awards and that's not going to make any of these haters happy.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
All these discussions about the game and the review thread made me go from somewhat bleh to absolutely wanting to play it, just to see what the entire fuzz is about. As someone who really enjoyed No Man's sky for the exploration, it sounds like this'll scratch that very same itch.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
The way most of the comments are going, it appears this game is very "divisive" and "bad" and the "story sucks" and "it's boring". Yet, the numbers on metacritic are at 84 for like seventy+ reviews! Ya'll are crazy.
Divisive has negative connotations but relatively speaking it is divisive, the game already has more 10s than many 90+ rated games and yet the average score is nowhere near that.

Edit: Just checked and it already has more 10s than RE2 Remake, this has a real chance at GOTY.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's only going to get worse when it gets nominated for GOTY. I don't think it'll win, but it's 100% getting nominated at the game awards and that's not going to make any of these haters happy.
Yeah, noms for best OST, best narrative seem like shoe ins too. Maybe some other categories I'm forgetting.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
yeah had to mute the review thread.

can't take all of the needless negativity and stupid infighting.

like I actually liked the IGN review as it showed what they didn't like about it but most of that stuff is what I am interested in soooo.

who knows I might hate this game lol but I cannot stand the dumb posts like "oh if not for Kojima they wouldn't rate this that high" or "oh look at these lames fish for clicks" or "I guess they just want shoot bangs" or "they really wanted to rate this lower because reasons".

it was super cool last night but the shit goblins came out this morning I guess

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The review thread is a shame (not the scores), I'm moreso at the point after all the buildup to it where it's "Damn I gotta wait a week to play this what now", cue long introspective walks on the beach by myself.

SparklingClumsyIcefish-small.gif

Oh well, time to return to the beaches of Revachol (Disco Elysium) in the meantime. Beaches. Stranding. This is gonna be a long wait huh.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
CE looking nice but....wtf I just bought a roll of the void tape last week! I had no idea it came with it. Well at least I've got a shipping sticker to complete it. Lol

Nice. I pre-ordered the CE. I was debating whether on not, but I am certainly not going to pay double or triple price on eBay.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
Just to confirm,
There is no Day/Night cycle right? It's just day with variable weather systems?
And I'm not sure if by answering this next question if it spoils too much, but what's the approx size of the map?

Thanks

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 Pro and CE unboxing video.
It looks great, and a nice added bonus with the VOID tape.

Is it just the angle of this shot, or does the CE outer box look too small/thin to house the Bridges cargo case?

DTiBTik.png

I don't think it will win GOTY either but it will be nominated in multiple categories and very likely win some.
  • Game of the Year
  • Best Art Direction
  • Best Game Direction
  • Best Score/Music
  • Best Narrative
  • Best Performance

IQ/lighting/details are unreal.

Horizon 2 made to a PS5 spec with this engine is going to look legit mind-blowing.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It looks great, and a nice added bonus with the VOID tape.

Is it just the angle of this shot, or does the CE outer box look too small/thin to house the Bridges cargo case?

DTiBTik.png

I don't think it will win GOTY either but it will be nominated in multiple categories and very likely win some.
  • Game of the Year
  • Best Art Direction
  • Best Game Direction
  • Best Score/Music
  • Best Narrative
  • Best Performance

IQ/lighting/details are unreal.

Horizon 2 made to a PS5 spec with this engine is going to look legit mind-blowing.

Imagine Days Gone 2 on the Decima engine, oh mama..

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
yeah had to mute the review thread.

it was super cool last night but the shit goblins came out this morning I guess

Yeah it started off surprisingly cool, now it's the shitshow we were expecting.

Ah well. I just want to know:
-photo mode?
-language options for dialogues? (For non ENG versions)

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Spent the day with a huge case of impostor syndrome. I'm a fucking IT technician in a small city in the East Midlands, yet I've got a review for one of the most anticipated games of the year live at the same time as sites like ign. Just wanted to say thanks to those in this thread who entertained my borderline desperate pleas to go watch our stuff, it's meant a lot. Just... Yeah. This gig is fucking hard sometimes.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
(TGA Award) I can see Kojima winning Best Game Direction and not win GOTY ,his bold vision and how unique Death Stranding is I think it has a chance,best score is the most likely,about GOTY,I mean,the game has already more perfects scores than any other game this year with "only" 72 reviews (I am not sure) and a lot of 90+,with the right juri I can see winning GOTY too, if the jury reward the most bold and unique experience of the year,or if the jury spread their votes between others games and who loved Death Stranding stick with it,this year we don't have a clearly front runner,don't have a God of War or Red Dead Redemption 2,games that would absolutely destroy it in those awards,I think the GOTY will be Resident Evil 2 if critics don't ignore it because it is a Remake,Sekiro and Outer Wilds is the others games I see with the best chances too.By overall GOTY winner of the year,I think Death Stranding will win a bunch of GOTY of sites around the world.Imagine the shitshow.

I'm a fucking IT technician in a small city in the East Midlands, yet I've got a review for one of the most anticipated games of the year live at the same time as sites like ign. Just wanted to say thanks to those in this thread who entertained my borderline desperate pleas to go watch our stuff, it's meant a lot. Just... Yeah. This gig is fucking h
Congratulations man, great review by the way.

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Spent the day with a huge case of impostor syndrome. I'm a fucking IT technician in a small city in the East Midlands, yet I've got a review for one of the most anticipated games of the year live at the same time as sites like ign. Just wanted to say thanks to those in this thread who entertained my borderline desperate pleas to go watch our stuff, it's meant a lot. Just... Yeah. This gig is fucking hard sometimes.
Congrats!! Nice clean site, hope you get on meta someday!

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Just to say, your imposter syndrome is misplaced. Thought your review was very well articulated and edited. Keep it up!

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
A couple of non-spoilers direct-feed screens from my playthrough (PS4 Pro version) - https://www.resetera.com/threads/2019-console-screenshot-thread-read-rules-in-op.90673/post-26013425 and https://www.resetera.com/threads/2019-console-screenshot-thread-read-rules-in-op.90673/post-26032342

Again DS is the most polished "day-one" AAA open-world game and the gameplay is pure arcade madness when you have more tools at your disposal. Personally I can't stop playing the game and yeah, the online component is an excellent addition and very important part of the whole experience.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
So how many impressions do we have of the game on PS4 Slim? I'm getting a LG C9 OLED next week in time for it but I'm really hesitant to take the risk of buying another £300 jet engine just to play this one game (and CoD:MW/TLoU2 lol). If it's a locked 1080p with decent framerate then I can tolerate the lack of a higher resolution but if it's lower then I'll have to rethink what I play it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.