• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
This will be the first Kojima game I won't follow up until its release.
Aged has slowed me down, brehs.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
MGSV was probably my second favorite game of the entire series, I'm super looking forward to this, looks like it'll hit pretty similar tonally. Might fuck around and rewatch all the trailers today

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
MGSV was probably my second favorite game of the entire series, I'm super looking forward to this, looks like it'll hit pretty similar tonally. Might fuck around and rewatch all the trailers today
I'm fully expecting Death Stranding to basically be MGSV game mechanics with an even crazier story and setting. Which I'm all in for as it was one of the best playing games this gen.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

It's not like I was expecting a release date or anything, but to discourage hopes for new info is pretty disappointing. I get that TGS isn't the biggest show in the world, but some of Kojima's best trailers have come from TGS. Last time he was there, he basically talked about sticks and ropes and showed a concept drawing (which featured GdT and Mads). Not gonna lie, was hoping for a little something here.

People in this thread said a demo might be released. Which I really hope that's the case.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Well, this is a little disappointing...
The less we see of the game, the better. Remember the MGS5 trailers? We knew basically everything about the game pre-release, nothing was left to surprise.

How cool would it have been to see this for the first time in game, rather than knowing about it 2+ years before you even play it
DQfsAzNU8AA6zub.jpg:orig

Jun 4, 2018
The less we see of the game, the better. Remember the MGS5 trailers? We knew basically everything about the game pre-release, nothing was left to surprise.

How cool would it have been to see this for the first time in game, rather than knowing about it 2+ years before you even play it
DQfsAzNU8AA6zub.jpg:orig

I don't think the problem with MGSV was the trailers; I think it was the 30-plus minute demonstrations. Kojima's always shown off a ton in his trailers, going as far back as the original MGS. He has rarely ever shown long stretches of gameplay. MGSV was the exception, and I think the final product suffered for it. He even hinted at this in a recent interview. I don't mind not seeing extensive gameplay sessions, but I would absolutely like to learn a little more about the game. A lot of people would. I think plenty of us get that Kojima ain't gonna make a walking sim. But plenty don't. The marketing needs to try targeting those people as well, which is why passing on any opportunity to grab people's attention strikes me more as harmful than helpful.

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018
Two things I wanna mention here.

First, let's remember the MGS 2 trailer, which showed us a gameplay scene, in which Snake was running in the ship, with water flooding in. This part was removed in the final version of the game, and the reason was stated by Kojima as something like "that scene had no gameplay and it wasn't fun, so I removed it."
A scene that beautiful, removed just because it was Snake running towards an end point, with no challenges or gameplay, and he would die if the player had stopped.

But then, we saw Kojima having a scene in his latest game, maybe around 10 minutes, of Snake and Skullface talking, with the player being forced to watch it.
Then again, I have to mention that The Phantom Pain is gameplay-wise so perfect in my view, that no games can top it in its own genre.

So, the question here is that, is Kojima still the same guy who removed a cool looking and finished scene in his game, because it had no gameplay, or is he the guy who forced us to watch 10 minutes of the villain talking about things we didn't want to listen?

One thing I'm certain of, is Kojima's dedication to gameplay.

His games, not including The Phantom Pain, has been like this: fantastic gameplay and total control in the player's hand followed by a long and amazingly directed cinematic.

Kojima tried to blend these two with the Phantom Pain; the gameplay, even better than what anyone expected, the cinematic part, while having amazing camera work, not what the fans of those long cinemtaics expected.

I believe with Death Stranding, we're gonna see new gameplay ideas introduced, as Kojima has been doing with each game he's made, and cinematic-wise, it's gonna be an evolution of what The Phantom Pain was, and towards something more coherent and akin to modern cinema.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018

Two things I wanna mention here.
First, let's remember the MGS 2 trailer, which showed us a gameplay scene, in which Snake was running in the ship, with water flooding in. This part was removed in the final version of the game, and the reason was stated by Kojima as something like "that scene had no gameplay and it wasn't fun, so I removed it."
A scene that beautiful, removed just because it was Snake running towards an end point, with no challenges or gameplay, and he would die if the player had stopped.
But then, we saw Kojima having a scene in his latest game, maybe around 10 minutes, of Snake and Skullface talking, with the player being forced to watch it.
Then again, I have to mention that The Phantom Pain is gameplay-wise so perfect in my view, that no games can top it in its own genre.
So, the question here is that, is Kojima still the same guy who removed a cool looking and finished scene in his game, because it had no gameplay, or is he the guy who forced us to watch 10 minutes of the villain talking about things we didn't want to listen?
One thing I'm certain of, is Kojima's dedication to gameplay.
His games, not including The Phantom Pain, has been like this: fantastic gameplay and total control in the player's hand followed by a long and amazingly directed cinematic.
Kojima tried to blend these two with the Phantom Pain; the gameplay, even better than what anyone expected, the cinematic part, while having amazing camera work, not what the fans of those long cinemtaics expected.
I believe with Death Stranding, we're gonna see new gameplay ideas introduced, as Kojima has been doing with each game he's made, and cinematic-wise, it's gonna be an evolution of what The Phantom Pain was, and towards something more coherent and akin to modern cinema.

Yup, I like it.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not like I was expecting a release date or anything, but to discourage hopes for new info is pretty disappointing. I get that TGS isn't the biggest show in the world, but some of Kojima's best trailers have come from TGS. Last time he was there, he basically talked about sticks and ropes and showed a concept drawing (which featured GdT and Mads). Not gonna lie, was hoping for a little something here.

That's a shame.

Jun 4, 2018

Fragile Express is the sickest logo of all time, I'm getting me a shirt! Also, remember DS' absence during E3 2017? Kojima provided the "Star" BRIDGES logo as a "clue," and now heading into TGS, we're starting to see it appear more and more. I wonder if any info on its origin or meaning will come from TGS, PGW, or TGA?

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

Those emojis though from the other trailers.

Does anyone know who the woman in the picture is?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018
yux6dujavzm11.jpg

Why tease "Sam Throws Explo..."

Edit:
Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but interesting bit from that TGS preview article.

"15:30 to 16:40 – Death Stranding – Hideo Kojima returns to Tokyo Game Show after two years. Furthermore, he has come with the Japanese cast of Death Stranding. An introduction to Death Stranding, character casting details, behind the scenes stories, and then after that… this will be a event loaded with information you can only hear at Tokyo Game Show. Featuring MC Yuki Iwai (Haraichi), guests Hideo Kojima, Akio Ootsuka, Kikuko Inoue, Kenjiro Tsuda, Satoshi Mikami, and Nana Mizuki."

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Im just not feeling this so far. Feels kinda pretentious with the way it's being presented and revealed so far. We'll see if it delivers

Oct 30, 2017
How come ? If you don't mind me asking.

The weirdness is cool, but I'm just not sure where it's going. Plus I feel like Kojima might have a big head about himself and the way he's using real stars etc and what we've seen makes it look more like a movie. I worry he's gonna go too up his ass with it haha. I mean I loved most of the mgs games and like his cinematic style. Im just not sure about this thing. Id like to be proven wrong and the game be focused on interesting gameplay mechanics and cool cutscenes.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The weirdness is cool, but I'm just not sure where it's going. Plus I feel like Kojima might have a big head about himself and the way he's using real stars etc and what we've seen makes it look more like a movie. I worry he's gonna go too up his ass with it haha. I mean I loved most of the mgs games and like his cinematic style. Im just not sure about this thing. Id like to be proven wrong and the game be focused on interesting gameplay mechanics and cool cutscenes.
Ahh. Gotcha.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
personally the hype has hit me with all the mysterious and progressive type of this supernatural setting/story. If it bombs,it's gonna be like biggest dissapointment in gaming,but there are low chances for that.

I think Kojima is onto something unique and of pretty high quality here....and behind all these impressive and mysterious trailers,there's something of substance to be found but we haven't been shown just yet

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I wonder if Stefanie Joosten is in this. She's been not streaming on twitch for awhile and previously teased the game a few times. Here's hoping she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.