• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
So I've got a home baked theory here about this game (since we can never have enough theories):

I think everything that has been showed of Death Stranding so far, with all the actors, the cutscenes, etc. will be basically the tutorial of the game. You will play as Sam and it will last for about 5 to 8 hours in total, telling his story and simultaneously introduce the player to the world and the game's mechanics.

After that you create a character and a company and the game truly starts.

42027261714_2979cf2b3f_k.jpg

Other people already commented about the logo's of the companies 'Bridges' and 'Fragile' and how it looks like the custom made logo's in MGS5. You probably can start your own company and design your logo that will be printed on the cases and on your suit. Those cases filled with items have to be carried to other places and you can do this on your own, but you can also outsource it to other (players') companies. Taking the risk that they will never deliver it, because they lost it on their way.

If you want to move your character to a new location you can choose to do this on your own, but also let someone else do it for you. He or she will carry your character on their back, again with the risk that your character will never make it if they fail.
There will probably be some sort of mobile app to keep track of your 'orders' and their status.

You can also join up with other companies like Lea trying to convince Sam to join Fragile in the trailer. Doing so you can venture out with a group, which is not always easier, since you are making a bigger footprint for the monsters to catch you. The same goes for using vehicles, it will draw the attention of bad stuff.

You can also carry with you an 'extra life', but it's one per group probably. So make sure you give it to the right person or pass it along at the last moment (TGA trailer).

death-stranding_5.jpg

I think it will be made of persistent worlds where you can also influence the terrain. Getting 'caught' will make a crater in the world that is probably not accessible to other players or either very dangerous. You can also find items that players have lost on their way. It's probably not a huge MMO type world, but more like instances of procedurally generated terrain. Some of it filled with mountains, others with rivers or even abandoned cities.

Not sure if the bad people you will cross in the world will be other players or AI characters. And what the end goal of the game will be, but it's probably something you have to work towards together with other players.

I don't think most of these ideas about the game are truly original, but it somehow connects in my brain. And it would be something Kojima could think up as well, it would fit his style so to say.

Huxley

Feb 20, 2019
So I've got a home baked theory here about this game (since we can never have enough theories):

Solid theory. Having your own brand, logo etc, and ability to outsource work to others fits the MGS V template. If there is MP, i think it will be asynchronous (Dark Souls blood stains, No Mans Sky v1.0). My cynical prediction is that MP will be there to extend the life of the game for super-fans, and mainly involve grinding the same mission types found in the SP mode for bonus unlocks (cosmetics, optional bosses, gimic weapons, etc).

Last edited:

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I know it defo wont happen since my idea of common sense doesn't seem to lineup with Sony's, but I think they should be revealing at least a release window in the upcoming trailer. Just something as simple as "202X" or a season included as well.

I mean if they don't that would mean 6 trailers without a release date, with 3 (I'm including the upcoming one due to images showing it might be ~8 minutes) being fairly length. Seems like a bit of an overkill combined with how ambiguous they've been about the important details like release date and gameplay. Can't think of any Sony games that have had that many trailers without a release window being revealed. Even for MGSV which people complained Kojima showed too much of, IIRC (correct me if I'm mistaken please) he released 5 trailers prior to announcing the release date and then finally launch trailer a week before release to bring the entire total to 6. If DS is going to be late-mid 2020 at the earliest then we could be getting a minimum of 8 trailers, maybe even more. Seems too much.

Announce a release window in this trailer with some gameplay to tie people over, knuckle down for the next +1 year then round it off with a launch trailer.

44alltheway

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
I know it defo wont happen since my idea of common sense doesn't seem to lineup with Sony's, but I think they should be revealing at least a release window in the upcoming trailer. Just something as simple as "202X" or a season included as well.

I mean if they don't that would mean 6 trailers without a release date, with 3 (I'm including the upcoming one due to images showing it might be ~8 minutes) being fairly length. Seems like a bit of an overkill combined with how ambiguous they've been about the important details like release date and gameplay. Can't think of any Sony games that have had that many trailers without a release window being revealed. Even for MGSV which people complained Kojima showed too much of, IIRC (correct me if I'm mistaken please) he released 5 trailers prior to announcing the release date and then finally launch trailer a week before release to bring the entire total to 6. If DS is going to be late-mid 2020 at the earliest then we could be getting a minimum of 8 trailers, maybe even more. Seems too much.

Announce a release window in this trailer with some gameplay to tie people over, knuckle down for the next +1 year then round it off with a launch trailer.
I don't know, Sony has seemed to move away from putting vague dates on trailers. We aren't seeing it with Last of Us or Tsushima. Spider-Man, God of War, and Days Gone were all delayed, so Sony is avoiding putting a date out unless it's 100% certain

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I don't know, Sony has seemed to move away from putting vague dates on trailers. We aren't seeing it with Last of Us or Tsushima. Spider-Man, God of War, and Days Gone were all delayed, so Sony is avoiding putting a date out unless it's 100% certain
Difference with the TLoU2 and Ghost is we've only seen 3 and 2 trailers respectively for each. And they were both revealed after DS, Ghost over a full year after.

Also as far as I'm aware GOW and Spider-Man were never officially delayed. Might have missed something?

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I mean if they don't that would mean 6 trailers without a release date,

There's a big difference with this project - the first trailer was not a trailer, it was an announcement that he has plans. it was a recruitment video designed to make hiring and find a team easier. They didnt have an engine, script, or anything more than a skeleton crew creating exactly what we saw and nothing more.
The second one was probably the same too - it was a custom scene with the assets built first for the trailer.

I think we'll see more of this in the future when studios are looking for top level talent for new studios, or when hiring for projects that our outside of their typical.
It's why embark studios released their environment test after the studio was only open for a few months. CDPR did it with 2077, but they only did the one. Kojima likes making trailers too much.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
There's a big difference with this project - the first trailer was not a trailer, it was an announcement that he has plans. it was a recruitment video designed to make hiring and find a team easier. They didnt have an engine, script, or anything more than a skeleton crew creating exactly what we saw and nothing more.
The second one was probably the same too - it was a custom scene with the assets built first for the trailer.

I think we'll see more of this in the future when studios are looking for top level talent for new studios, or when hiring for projects that our outside of their typical.
It's why embark studios released their environment test after the studio was only open for a few months. CDPR did it with 2077, but they only did the one. Kojima likes making trailers too much.

This all sounds reasonable. I reckon Crystal Dynamics did the same too for the Avengers Project.

Kojima's trailers are among the best, I would love if he still made trailers for Death Stranding even after the game releases.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

Kojima with another recording session with the Japanese voice actors, actresses.

KJP Time Machine Episode 1: Detailing the beginning of development of Death Stranding.

madkiller

May 29, 2018
^NWR wants to make a movie in Japan as his next project so I'm guessing Kojima will be involved in the writing process.

Last edited:

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing another collab between Refn and Kojima will be the dream. I still can't believe my fav games director and fav movie director are on such good terms and can't wait to see Kojima on his show.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Wouldn't they wait till SoP with this trailer?
I've been thinking about this and like if it's an 8 minute death stranding trailer again anything they put in that state of play especially like what we've seen in the previous ones besides FF7 would get so crazily overshadowed i'm not sure it'd be worth it. They'd have to show something else as substantial and at that point they're basically just doing a mini show around E3 which they said they don't want to do. This way all eyes would be on Death Stranding.

Void-Out

May 25, 2019
Boy golly beaver... let's hope we get a trailer next week... hope they just say fuck a state of play and just drop a Death Stranding trailer without all the other bs... although I wouldn't say no to a TLoU trailer as well......

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

"You are NOT READY."

OH BOY guys.
This is going to be good.

Keep in mind both film maker Jordan Vogt Roberts and Geoff Keighly have both said this exact quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.