• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Kojima threads on ResetERA are soooo bad (other than this one). I need to just stay away because I'm actually getting flustered by all the bad posts.

NIV093

May 31, 2019
I thought the cutscenes and little gameplay snippet were great. The music during the cutscenes and soundscape of the open world was really just fantastic. So those Ludens suits are 100% going to be in the game. I wonder if they are like an elite class of either Bridges or some other faction. Would be cool if you could use those to fly across the open world . I'm hoping we see an actual gameplay loop or maybe an encounter with Mads at TGS.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this game really sent people into a tizzy today, huh?

The survivalist aspects of this game were just made even more apparent today; loved seeing more of the weight distribution and a little more about the delivery system. This game is kind of like the survival elements of Snake Eater but taken to the brink it seems. Can't wait for TGS now.

Jun 4, 2018
Oh, thank goodness this thread got bumped! Forgot that this is the only thread on the forum that doesn't send my sanity through the stratosphere. Awesome stuff today, honestly. Loving all of the exposition. Supporting characters have said a great deal in comparison to Sam, but it's not jarring (as it was in MGSV), in that Sam seems engaged the entire time, trying to process things, rather than simply being unable to say much.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Still loving the open and deserted & landscapes. As someone who enjoys hiking and exploring the outdoors this game is right up my alley.

Need to watch Oblivion again.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the gameplay shown was bad, but certainly not engaging enough for most audiences. There's a lot to take in here. The Bridge Baby 'virtual pet' mechanic is interesting to me because it offers an intimate connection in the midst of the loneliness and monotony that comes with exploring a broken and desolate landscape where you are expected to literally and figuratively build connections between communities. Considering the first trailer for this game, I have no doubt that Sam's affectations for his BB will play a pivotal role in the story.

TGS should be interesting, as I'm sure we'll see quite a bit more gameplay footage that's closer to the release build of the game.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of surprised there seems to be no eating mechanic
It would be great if the game covered how humans are able to sustain themselves in the long-term considering things like the timefall phenomena, which seems to make quick work of anything living.

I guess farming and whatnot could take place underground, but it would be cool to see nonetheless.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
My theory is that we will build the 'chiral network' collectively. And that only by building it fully we'll be able to save our babies. We'll each one father/mother our BBs and repopulate the world.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
is there anywhere where I can see more indepth looks at the maps and menus that popped up?

like high-rez screen grabs or sommit

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
So seeing as how the open world looks massive but fairly empty, is it possible it's the whole United States? It would be feasible from a dev standpoint if there aren't many major detailed areas, but rather a lot of large biomes. When he updated the network or whatever, it showed him in a specific place in the states and listed it as the "Eastern region" or something. And iirc, he's going from D.C. to the west coast

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
My theory is that we will build the 'chiral network' collectively. And that only by building it fully we'll be able to save our babies. We'll each one father/mother our BBs and repopulate the world.
This is why I love Kojima games/discussion so much. Even if I couldn't see the thread title, I would read that sentence and think "I bet he is talking about some Hideo Kojima shit." That or Grant Morrison I suppose...

I'm buying this game day one, I normally don't like explorey survival stuff but I'm game for whatever Kojima wants to try. Even if I don't like it, I'm still glad it exists. Kinda like how I feel about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I didn't dig it that much, but I appreciated the heck out of a quality, non remake or CGI superhero movie existing in 2019.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
is there anywhere where I can see more indepth looks at the maps and menus that popped up?

like high-rez screen grabs or sommit
I grabbed some
ECXlJLrU0AIC2LU

ECYsR4FU8AAkY39
ECXlJLpUEAAgjcH
ECXlJLqU0AA2fnf

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I really wish he wouldn't show more, exploring the world and finding Geoff would have been a great surprise, also like how he's named Ludens fan.

Btw was it said if the open world will be like MGS5 in which you only go there for missions or something like Horizon?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
on the map of the USA, those circles

are those voidouts that have happened you think?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like that they credited the VO for GDT this time. Just wish they did that for the Heartman trailer.
1yM1nAg.png

------------------------
We should name our in-game org Soul Warriors. LOL.
Gameplay didn't show us anything new really. Was hoping for more.
I disagree. Kojima showed us the Social Strand System (the MP) Which is completely new.
I'll be cool if we could create an avatar and have them show up like Geoff did. Makes the line in the description about sending supplies and sharing safe houses with other players make sense.

Also the return of the stress meter.
Geoff's safehouse is the tutorial one. And can't be missed.

But we'll be able to make our own avatar.

No, i don't know that for a fact. But i'm 100% convinced.
Correct. (well, i mean that's what i think as well. So we're both correct. LOL)
Btw was it said if the open world will be like MGS5 in which you only go there for mission or something like Horizon?
You can go anywhere you want in MGSV. Just like HZD. I don't understand what you mean. Sorry.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
All I want to see now is Sam doing more non contextual actions. Snake was a Swiss Army knife and while I'm not expecting Sam to be a soldier that signature gameplay element is hopefully there.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
MGSV had a lot of contextual cutscenes

if you went into the red with your GMP you got the cutscene with the two MB soldiers knife fighting, if you were away from the game for a long time you got a cutscene with DD being super hyped to see you, etc.

i imagine there will be cutscenes like that in Death Stranding, the most obvious one being the fucked up feet scene

i'd bet it happens if you go too long without swapping your shoes

go to bed, wake up, cutscene where you gotta take care of your fucked up toenail

in MGSV, cutscenes like these could be pretty rare, and they would only happen once per playthrough, I could see the same thing happening here

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Don't you think it's really crazy that the game map seems to be THE WHOLE USA?

Edit: Giving new meaning to the phrase "cruisin' USA" it seems
I haven't kept up with the latest updates on this game, but like, I wouldn't really expect anything anywhere close to even a tenth of the whole US. The Phantom Pain was already presumably set in real world locations that were obviously nowhere even close to real life scale.

The trailers I saw did show such a VAST open world at a somewhat realistic scale that I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen more chatter about it. Looked amazing. Though tbh I haven't played many of the open world games that have been coming out in the last few years either, so maybe I've already missed a shift towards ludicrous scales in this type of games ;P

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The open world was segmented.
No it wasn't. It was two maps. Afghanistan and East Africa (well i vaguely remember it being east)

But you could go from one end to the other and back again. So i don't know what you mean. It was only segmented when you were on a mission. Is that what you mean. ?

but the map is still open world.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Looking at the map, seems like the west coast is covered in snow.

You can see the snow area in trailers even when Sam seems to be in the central part of the map. Nice draw distance.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Man, that other thread is a doozy.

Kind of surprised there seems to be no eating mechanic
In the E3 2018 trailer, there's a bit where Sam pulls out a canteen and drinks from it. I wouldn't be surprised if eating/maintaining your hunger plays a major part in surviving the world.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Man, that other thread is a doozy.

In the E3 2018 trailer, there's a bit where Sam pulls out a canteen and drinks from it. I wouldn't be surprised if eating/maintaining your hunger plays a major part in surviving the world.
I really hope the game doesn't have to much systems to manage. I'm playing No Man's Sky now for example and I feel like there's way too much to keep track of that you can easily forget about something and have it end up screwing you over. Of course nothing's confirmed but there's good reason to assume there's tiredness, stress, injuries, hungry, thirst and a piss meter to all keep track of which already sounds like too much. Although it depends how they're implemented I guess.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I hope the map is absolutely gargantuan with no fast travel options. I know that would upset some people but I think if any game were to try an pull that off it's this one.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
This game is going to be hella divisive and I'm glad. More games should try to ruffle feathers instead of chasing the status quo.

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo anyone else think that we're all gonna be able to set up our own camps and quests? Geoff being 'Ludens Fan' looks like a placeholder for a PSN ID and then the logo on the side being the KojiPro logo might mean we can set up our own. Would play nicely with the connecting others theme.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of off topic, but relevant:

All this talk with connections and seeing the map reminds me of the movie "US"

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Sooo anyone else think that we're all gonna be able to set up our own camps and quests? Geoff being 'Ludens Fan' looks like a placeholder for a PSN ID and then the logo on the side being the KojiPro logo might mean we can set up our own. Would play nicely with the connecting others theme.

Never crossed my mind but that'd be a sweet feature. Especially with a wide open world it'd be cool if the camps were populated by players staking out their own spots.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
All I want to see now is Sam doing more non contextual actions. Snake was a Swiss Army knife and while I'm not expecting Sam to be a soldier that signature gameplay element is hopefully there.

I'm with you on that. I can see myself holding X to go prone during the first few hours though.

This speaks to my fetish for area scanning and wire-frames.

That's the part I liked least. The location of the Ludens Fan just popping up like that without you having to really look for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.