• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Sound Editing is CREATION OF SOUNDS, which can be based on real sounds [walking on 50 types of floors] or brand new sounds not found in real life [blaster sounds in Star Wars, dinosaur sounds in Jurrasic Park, Clickers in TLOU].

Sound Mixing, is taking all available sound effects, music and voice lines, and mixing them together to create a FINAL SOUNDSCAPE. Picking appropriate sound levels for each audio element, moving sounds in space where needed, making speech stand out by lowering levels of other sounds, very carefully managing sound in every cinematic [and picking appropriate sound behavior during gameplay], and more. This also include creating a stereo and surround mix [most easily noticeable with talking characters - when they are in camera shot their words will always come from the center speaker, when they are not in in camera shot, their words will come out from any other speaker [back pair for example]].

When Nolan fucked up Bane's speech levels in the first presentation of Dark Knight Rises to the press, that was a Sound Mixing fuckup.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Is it just me or does it feel like the hype for this game has sizzled, due to:

1.) It was fun speculating what kind of game or story it was, but it's now near release and most people still have no idea what kind of experience it will be
2.) Cyberpunk's release date, keanu announcement, and then continuous info drips have snagged all the hype, spotlight, and attention

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

1.) It was fun speculating what kind of game or story it was, but it's now near release and most people still have no idea what kind of experience it will be
2.) Cyberpunk's release date, keanu announcement, and then continuous info drips have snagged all the hype, spotlight, and attention

Just you, more to come this month. Pretty sure we have a good idea of what is going on in the game mostly based on the release date trailer.

I kinda believe Cyberpunks' release date isn't its final release date. Would love to be wrong. Either way it is out next year so it doesn't matter.
Keanu, is he even playable? What's to be hyped about there? He just appeared on stage deflected another compliment and show us a release date

cover4.jpg

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Just you, more to come this month. Pretty sure we have a good idea of what is going on in the game mostly based on the release date trailer.

I kinda believe Cyberpunks' release date isn't its final release date. Would love to be wrong. Either way it is out next year so it doesn't matter.
Keanu, is he even playable? What's to be hyped about there? He just appeared on stage deflected another compliment and show us a release date

cover4.jpg
I am not part of the Keanu hype (and he may not have gotten you or me hyped but lots of people were frothing), I'm just stating what I observe around these parts (and other parts of the internet). People seemed a lot more hyped about Death Stranding at some point early on, but right now it feels kinda...
MGSV.PS4.1080P.QUIET_DEPLOY.HD_SCREENCAPS.3.jpg

I mean, maybe it's the mysterious nature of the reveals/game but the threads seem pretty slow moving. Just look at this thread. 71 pages since last year... if it were a new proper MGS or some other Sony properties I feel we'd be rocketing into the sky already. Not trying to kill anyone's excitement, just saying...

I'm kinda chilled myself until I actually get my hands on it. I want to be hyped but it feels like one of those games that will be amazing only as you are playing it, unraveling the plot and the mysteries and discovering wonders on your own.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I am not part of the Keanu hype (and he may not have gotten you or me hyped but lots of people were frothing), I'm just stating what I observe around these parts (and other parts of the internet). People seemed a lot more hyped about Death Stranding at some point early on, but right now it feels kinda...
MGSV.PS4.1080P.QUIET_DEPLOY.HD_SCREENCAPS.3.jpg

I mean, maybe it's the mysterious nature of the reveals/game but the threads seem pretty slow moving. Just look at this thread. 71 pages since last year... if it were a new proper MGS or some other Sony properties I feel we'd be rocketing into the sky already. Not trying to kill anyone's excitement, just saying...

I'm kinda chilled myself until I actually get my hands on it. I want to be hyped but it feels like one of those games that will be amazing only as you are playing it, unraveling the plot and the mysteries and discovering wonders on your own.

Yeah I'm not in on the Keanu hype (I love John Wick and he is a cool dude but I don't think he can act) and I'm certainly not playing Death Stranding for the actors.

I do agree things have quietened down but honestly what I believe it is, is the fact that there's no circle of madness and conspiracy theories based on Kojima dropping hints or things always having to mean something because Kojima may or may not have dropped a clue. Or no more hilarious things like this.

1221441470939320102.jpg

The marketing has been tame and Kojima's been receiving a lot of hate on here for speaking or not speaking about what he is doing.
Kinda hard to have good discussions really.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought being super excited about Keanu was just a meme? I mean I like him and it's cool he's there, but he's just an actor. That's not as exciting as a game announcement.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The hype hasn't quieted down. What? The release date trailer from a little while back has a combined 14.2m views on YouTube, and we're getting more at Gamescom. As launch approaches and when reviews finally hit, it'll reach a fever pitch.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The most recent trailer right before E3 had massive views, the preorder seems to be going well according to the analyst

I think once they get closer to launch, the marketing campaign will go full force and hype machine will be crazy.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few things posted in the last pages are confusing to me. I mean, why would Death Standing's hype be lessened via a multiplat releasing not just in an entirely different launch window, but a completely different year?

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California

For what it's worth, I think him not showing much is him avoiding spoiling the experience. MGS 2 showed a lot of the Tanker mission prologue to save the whole you play as Raiden reveal for the players to experience. I could be wrong though.

The hype for Cyberpunk has been up and down just like DS. We hadn't seen or heard anything before this past e3. I'm sure The Last of Us Part II hype will pop up and take the spotlight for a bit.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
For what it's worth, I think him not showing much is him avoiding spoiling the experience. MGS 2 showed a lot of the Tanker mission prologue to save the whole you play as Raiden reveal for the players to experience. I could be wrong though.

I also have this idea that I can't shake off that everything showed is the DS equivalent of the Tanker mission in MGS 2 , and the rest of the game will be something else.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Oooo, a different biome finally. I'm really intrigued to see just how many different sorts of landscapes there are.

That's what surprised me we've seem some very diverse looking areas in the DS trailers different to the norm in games. So I don't know why I was surprised but this was refreshing to see.

His other picture was this

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That's what surprised me we've seem some very diverse looking areas in the DS trailers different to the norm in games. So I don't know why I was surprised but this was refreshing to see.

His other picture was this

I want to see more of that weird desolate Mars looking area from the E3 2018 trailer

n6q2o7mprqb11.jpg

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few things posted in the last pages are confusing to me. I mean, why would Death Standing's hype be lessened via a multiplat releasing not just in an entirely different launch window, but a completely different year?
Only think I can think of is this game gets delayed, but even then both will sell well.
Anyone think this might be a short 10-12 hour game?

Maybe on a second playthrough.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Oh yeah I loved that one, it's really intriguing. Along with the moss, I need to explore those lands.
In that pic you posted, the area seems to be covered in volcanic rock? Man, just what the fuck did these Death Strandings do to the Earth? Like I'm curious, is it just America that's like this or has the entire planet been transformed? I really want to learn if there's any semblance of a society outside the borders of United States. November can't come any sooner.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
In that pic you posted, the area seems to be covered in volcanic rock? Man, just what the fuck did these Death Strandings do to the Earth? Like I'm curious, is it just America that's like this or has the entire planet been transformed? I really want to learn if there's any semblance of a society outside the borders of United States. November can't come any sooner.

Actually you're right, if we get to climb a volcano I will be so happy, would be intense.
I assumed that there wasn't much of the US left which is with they called it "United Cities of America"? What do you think?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone think this might be a short 10-12 hour game?
Only if you can skip the 25 hours of cutscenes ^^

But more seriously, I think it might be longer than that, simply based on the fact that it seems to be a lot about exploration. I wouldn't try to put a number on it, but I think it will be longer than that.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I assumed that there wasn't much of the US left which is with they called it "United Cities of America"? What do you think?
Yup! It seems whatever Bridges is works for the United Cities of America. If you read the description on the official site, the United States in Death Stranding is composed of multiple different societies that seem to each keep to their own, the UCA wants to unite all of these under one banner just like the old United States.

The slogans like "Tomorrow is in your Hands", "Help us Reconnect" and the whole emphasis on connection with strands and rope really seem to emphasise this message.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I would want that too, but, uh, I don't think we're getting that. Esp not in this age of padded open world, more-means-better, titles.
The open world in MGSV shows that Kojima doesn't necessarily adheres to the more-means-better adage.

The comparison with SotC is good in theroy, but we already know the open world is not as empty as this game, we already saw the regular yellow ennemies, the "BTs" (sp?) etc, plus it really seems there are cities in the open world also

It's just nonsense. There will be plenty of excitement.
Yeah I don't get this either, release date trailer has I don't know how many million views already, marketing campain is starting to ramp up in the final line before launch, and will probably explode in the next 2 months, there is already gamescom the 19th with a new presentation of the game with Kojima present, there will probably be new info, new gameplay etc, this alon will turn the hype and marketing to 11 I reckon

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Lol so I went to check the views of the last trailer, and launched the very first trailer (E3 2016) and this is kind of crazy (or maybe I'm remembering wrong) :

The very first sound in the reveal trailer (when the "To see a world in a grain of sand quote is displayed) sound reaaaaally like the first sound in the opening of Twin Peaks the return (when Cooper listens to the gramaphone)? It's even looped the same way. Or am I dreaming?

That would be freaky, I know Kojima enjoyed The return and had his staff watch it, but thee trailer is 2016 and The Return is 2017, what the hell?

Edit : Went and checked the scene in youtube, it's likethe exact same lloop , sounding just a little bit different, but same noises, same loop, same everything, this is a crazy coincidence !

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The open world in MGSV shows that Kojima doesn't necessarily adheres to the more-means-better adage.
Yeah, which I'm very glad for. I enjoyed MGSV's open world specifically because you didn't need to go into it. It was just a giant backdrop to the levels.

My first question to a "you can go over there!" boast is always, "ok, but why would you?" I appreciated that MGSV was on my wavelength in terms of answering "you wouldn't."

Reviews certainly won't be kind if this follows the same philosophy though.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, which I'm very glad for. I enjoyed MGSV's open world specifically because you didn't need to go into it. It was just a giant backdrop to the levels.

My first question to a "you can go over there!" boast is always, "ok, but why would you?" I appreciated that MGSV was on my wavelength in terms of answering "you wouldn't."

Reviews certainly won't be kind if this follows the same philosophy though.
Yeah I really like the emptiness of the open world in MGSV, I thought it fit the tone of the game well.

Still think the open world in DS will be more charged (though that's easy to say with the info we already have)

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Yup! It seems whatever Bridges is works for the United Cities of America. If you read the description on the official site, the United States in Death Stranding is composed of multiple different societies that seem to each keep to their own, the UCA wants to unite all of these under one banner just like the old United States.

The slogans like "Tomorrow is in your Hands", "Help us Reconnect" and the whole emphasis on connection with strands and rope really seem to emphasise this message.

That sounds so good, no pun intended but I really hope this game delivers.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really like the emptiness of the open world in MGSV, I thought it fit the tone of the game well.

Still think the open world in DS will be more charged (though that's easy to say with the info we already have)
Yeah, and I think it's time to find out more about if the game is really just openness or if there are more traditional attractions in the world. I am very happy the campaign for this game has been so mysterious, but there are a few key details I expect leading up to the release.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, and I think it's time to find out more about if the game is really just openness or if there are more traditional attractions in the world. I am very happy the campaign for this game has been so mysterious, but there are a few key details I expect leading up to the release.
This is why I can't help but thinking this is a Tanker situation all over again, and everything they're showing us is only the beginning of the game lol

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Lol so I went to check the views of the last trailer, and launched the very first trailer (E3 2016) and this is kind of crazy (or maybe I'm remembering wrong) :

The very first sound in the reveal trailer (when the "To see a world in a grain of sand quote is displayed) sound reaaaaally like the first sound in the opening of Twin Peaks the return (when Cooper listens to the gramaphone)? It's even looped the same way. Or am I dreaming?

That would be freaky, I know Kojima enjoyed The return and had his staff watch it, but thee trailer is 2016 and The Return is 2017, what the hell?

Edit : Went and checked the scene in youtube, it's likethe exact same lloop , sounding just a little bit different, but same noises, same loop, same everything, this is a crazy coincidence !

The sound is part of the song, and Kojima didn't write the song, so I doubt it.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This is why I can't help but thinking this is a Tanker situation all over again
7G2q.gif

Dude, I'm so glad I'm not alone in this thinking. This game is going to have so many twists and turns that it'll put MGS2 to shame.

It's crazy, we're going into this knowing fuck all. While maybe not a bait and switch a la MGS2, there's that feeling of mystery that pervades the entire game from marketing to the world to even basic moment-to-moment gameplay (though we have a better understanding of that now).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, I'm so glad I'm not alone in this thinking. This game is going to have so many twists and turns that it'll put MGS2 to shame.

It's crazy, we're going into this knowing fuck all. While maybe not a bait and switch a la MGS2, there's that feeling of mystery that pervades the entire game from marketing to the world to even basic moment-to-moment gameplay (though we have a better understanding of that now).

Yeah I hope so. I would like to think this won't be an MGSV situation where we have seen half the cutscenes already :P

Status
Not open for further replies.