• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
7G2q.gif

Dude, I'm so glad I'm not alone in this thinking. This game is going to have so many twists and turns that it'll put MGS2 to shame.

It's crazy, we're going into this knowing fuck all. While maybe not a bait and switch a la MGS2, there's that feeling of mystery that pervades the entire game from marketing to the world to even basic moment-to-moment gameplay (though we have a better understanding of that now).
Only thing I'm still unsure is if we actually already truly saw this famous "underworld" where you're supposedly taken when the monsters catch you. Is it the grey place with all the dead fish where Sam is naked in the reveal trailer? Or is it the very short shot of Sam with a grey face about to shoot himself? When Mad's character appears from the black goo, is he coming from this "underworld"?

It might not be a total bait and switch like MGS2, but I really feel there is a big twist very close to the beginning that they are keeping really close to the chest.

Oct 25, 2017
I would want that too, but, uh, I don't think we're getting that. Esp not in this age of padded open world, more-means-better, titles.

I don't think that's what DS is. I wouldn't expect too much more than 10 hours of story content, though could be built to be re-playable.

I don't think it will be nearly as negative, but I think there is going to be some "that's all you do" backlash similar to No Man's Sky.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm watching a couple videos about DS from Gaming bolt, they say BT stand for Beached Things, is this officialy confirmed or a theory from them?

Also in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXgjUrrBr6U they talk about how Cliff talking to the baby at the end of the last trailer is a 4th wall break and is standing for kojima talking to the audience ("I'll show you the real thing soon. I promess, the whole wide world will be yours to explore) then they go on to theorize that the moon part is actually a clue and relate it to the Kojipro video with the Luden on the moon. And yeah the Luden has the same type of backpack than in DS, and then they show that Die Hard man actually has Luden written on his mask (which I never noticed ^^)

So, yeah this doesn't help me put away the idea of the bait and switch a la Tanker in MGS2, but also really actually makes me think that the Kojipro reveal video is completely linked to DS and the moon might actually be a destination, especially since in the beginning Kojima said Ludens had nothing to do with DS.

Anyway August 19th can't come soon enough :)

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I'm watching a couple videos about DS from Gaming bolt, they say BT stand for Beached Things, is this officialy confirmed or a theory from them?

Also in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXgjUrrBr6U they talk about how Cliff talking to the baby at the end of the last trailer is a 4th wall break and is standing for kojima talking to the audience ("I'll show you the real thing soon. I promess, the whole wide world will be yours to explore) then they go on to theorize that the moon part is actually a clue and relate it to the Kojipro video with the Luden on the moon. And yeah the Luden has the same type of backpack than in DS, and then they show that Die Hard man actually has Luden written on his mask (which I never noticed ^^)

So, yeah this doesn't help me put away the idea of the bait and switch a la Tanker in MGS2, but also really actually makes me think that the Kojipro reveal video is completely linked to DS and the moon might actually be a destination, especially since in the beginning Kojima said Ludens had nothing to do with DS.

Yeah Beached Things is what BT's stands for in this.

Regarding the 4th wall breaking with Cliff at the end that's real as well with Kojima talking to the audience with many things. Having worked with him on MGS4 Ryan Payton explains Kojima's thought process here in a short segment with Jeff Gerstmann

https://youtu.be/2O3gRo1WRU0
It's a good video worth watch I think Gregg Miller is in it but what you're looking for is at 3min 25.

Oh we're going the moon :) 👈🏼 Not confirmed, just me being cocksure.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Beached Things is what BT's stands for in this.

Regarding the 4th wall breaking with Cliff at the end that's real as well with Kojima talking to the audience with many things. Having worked with him on MGS4 Ryan Payton explains Kojima's thought process here in a short segment with Jeff Gerstmann

https://youtu.be/2O3gRo1WRU0
It's a good video worth watch I think Gregg Miller is in it but what you're looking for is at 3min 25.

Oh we're going the moon :) 👈🏼 Not confirmed, just me being cocksure.

Very interesting indeed, thanks for the link ! Ryan Payton's interpretation of the reveal trailer is WOW, I feel like a fool for not picking up on this symbolism lol.

So yeah now I'm more and more convinced there is a Tanker situation here, not necessarily a full bait and switch, but a whol huge part of the game and lore that has not been showed at all , and only barely alluded to for sure.

Also I just noticed that it really looks like the pole holding the flag in the Kojipro video is the same weapons the yellow dudes use against Sam in the last trailer.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Very interesting indeed, thanks for the link ! Ryan Payton's interpretation of the reveal trailer is WOW, I feel like a fool for not picking up on this symbolism lol.

So yeah now I'm more and more convinced there is a Tanker situation here, not necessarily a full bait and switch, but a whol huge part of the game and lore that has not been showed at all , and only barely alluded to for sure.

Also I just noticed that it really looks like the pole holding the flag in the Kojipro video is the same weapons the yellow dudes use against Sam in the last trailer.

Lol you're welcome, I do enjoy the symbolism and metaphors too.

Regarding the tanker situation all I remember is Kojima at one point said the game will start one way and then another which I can't find anything on at the moment.

Good catch on the flag pole and the spears. I'd never really looked at the design on both of them so that's interesting.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Lol you're welcome, I do enjoy the symbolism and metaphors too.

Regarding the tanker situation all I remember is Kojima at one point said the game will start one way and then another which I can't find anything on at the moment.

Good catch on the flag pole and the spears. I'd never really looked at the design on both of them so that's interesting.
I actually like the thoery they have in the video I linked that one of the main change that could happen is the fact that Sam is unable to see the BTs unlike Fragile and Higgs, and is scared of them in every trailers we saw and cries when they're around, EXCEPT in the very first reveal trailer where he's sad about the baby but no tears, and he actually is able to see the BTs in that trailer, and doesnt seem scared at all, on the contrary he seem resolved and ready for a fight. They thoerize that this could be one of the misdirection where in the game you end up powered up at some point (something like what Higgs is able to do) and that would change everything in how the game is played.

This is total tinfoil hat on my part now : maybe the BTs, the 5 figures in the sky or who/whatever caused the death stranding comes from the moon, and only when Sam is able to see them and confront them without BB he can go to the moon and fight them on their turf

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I actually like the thoery they have in the video I linked that one of the main change that could happen is the fact that Sam is unable to see the BTs unlike Fragile and Higgs, and is scared of them in every trailers we saw and cries when they're around, EXCEPT in the very first reveal trailer where he's sad about the baby but no tears, and he actually is able to see the BTs in that trailer, and doesnt seem scared at all, on the contrary he seem resolved and ready for a fight. They thoerize that this could be one of the misdirection where in the game you end up powered up at some point (something like what Higgs is able to do) and that would change everything in how the game is played.

This is total tinfoil hat on my part now : maybe the BTs, the 5 figures in the sky or who/whatever caused the death stranding comes from the moon, and only when Sam is able to see them and confront them without BB he can go to the moon and fight them on their turf

You're not far off from the other theories I have heard there. One in particular being the all the trailers released before the latest ones should be watched in reverse order with the first ever trailer being the last you should watch. He couldn't see the five monolithic figures at all in the trailer we first saw Lea Seydoux. The E3 trailer?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
You're not far off from the other theories I have heard there. One in particular being the all the trailers released before the latest ones should be watched in reverse order with the first ever trailer being the last you should watch. He couldn't see the five monolithic figures at all in the trailer we first saw Lea Seydoux. The E3 trailer?
Right , he definitely couldn't. The reverse order for the trailer is very interesting, damn. In the trailer with the bodies recovery team, can we infer that they are in the "underworld"? I have a hard time being sure but it looks like it

Oct 26, 2017
Right , he definitely couldn't. The reverse order for the trailer is very interesting, damn. In the trailer with the bodies recovery team, can we infer that they are in the "underworld"? I have a hard time being sure but it looks like it

I doubt it.. nothing there that looks out of place from what we've seen of the 'normal' world in gameplay really.

The first two trailers seem to be set in the otherside, although the first one might just be a mix of ideas that represent the game rather than anything specific.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah the trailer with the crash is definitely one our side with the BT's still being on the other side until Higgs appears. When he points you can hear that thunder sound like in the release date trailer where he points to the sky to make the time fall start. He licks a tear off of Fragile's face after she's having a reaction to what's coming.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah checked it again and the storm and general greyness of the area had me confused.

So the only place we saw from the underworld is that beach from the reveal trailer, and we saw 3 characters in that very spot : Sam, Amelie and Heartman. Interesting

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

I think Beached Things are confirmed.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
Looking at the Kojima Production channel, it seems that it'ts going to be the same video, just one is the japanese version and the other the internacional version.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be an English and Japanese version of the same trailer (with possible extended footage in one) just as they've done with the trailers they've released in the past

dsh7kto.png

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Worth nothing that it seems it'll be another trailer akin to the Release Date/E3/TGS ones rather than another character spotlight since those haven't been uploaded to the official KojiPro channel.

So, probably another 8-9 minutes of footage. Could be a 5 minute one though like the TGS 2016 trailer.

...Nevermind, lol. Looks like those two vids were just the Heartman character spotlight in English and Japanese

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese voiced version of Heartman video

English 4K

So I guess this was the two new videos on the Kojima Production site?

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Is there seriously no info on who Ludvig Forsell is, what he did before MGSV and where Kojima even found him?

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It's quite enigmatic, isn't it? Wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a fake name for someone else.

I thought about it being a pseudonym before. The only other musicians attached to Phantom Pain were Harry Gregson-Williams and Justin Burnett. They've worked together before but Ludvig is pretty much a ghost.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

So humanity is facing extinction. (We kinda already knew that, but here it's actually said.)
And one of the stages of DOOMs is called the extinction factor.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So all the Photos from Kojima are Sam resting or walking and never in combat, I wonder if it's a hint at how the gameplay will be or he just doesn't want to show much, I would be down for something with a lot of traveling alone.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018

After 5 years huh? 5 years ago was the release of PT (Silent Hills)

Really hoping for a demo of some kind on the PS Store after the Gamescom event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.