• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
That would make sense, yeah. Geoff says it's like "the mushroom growing but applied to everywhere" which makes me thing about the terrain being deformed and changed as more players go through it, modifying the entire game's ecosystem. Like an evolution to the World Tendency system of Demon's Souls.
Imagine if every player's death create a crater not only in their world, but in everyone's too ! :)

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
-The first trailer can just be summed up in a great big WTF. I'm willing to believe that it's largely unconnected to the real game outside of several concepts. That is to say, I don't think we're ever going to actually SEE naked Norman on the beach as part of the story at any point. (But what if we do!? What possibly leads to a naked Norman on the beach with an unbottled BB?)

Pretty sure Kojima confirmed every single trailer from the game, even the first, were actually in the game.

They weren't just a random scene he put together to showcase it. It probably isn't 100% the same in the final game ofc.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, just saw that video showing that it's Sam talking to himself in the Geoff trailer where he sees the Ludens poster, damn!

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Been wondering this too, but I doubt that'll be the case, otherwise the entire land would be pockmarked.
Maybe the very big craters only happen with the huge/giant BTs, and the other "ghosts" just make a point of impact. We already seen in the map that there are a lot of craters in the centre of the US.

But yeah I don't how that would work lol, maybe instanced between a set number of players for technicality, but it would defeat the idea of connectiing everyone playing.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time believing the craters are a thing that will actually happen in real time every time the player dies, or that players deaths will alter other real people's worlds. That system is way too exploitable. If they found some way to do it without allowing people to just die over and over again a screw up other people's worlds then it would be cool, but I don't see how you make a system like that and prevent players from ruining it.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I have a hard time believing the craters are a thing that will actually happen in real time every time the player dies, or that players deaths will alter other real people's worlds. That system is way too exploitable. If they found some way to do it without allowing people to just die over and over again a screw up other people's worlds then it would be cool, but I don't see how you make a system like that and prevent players from ruining it.
I don't see a way either, but everyone who saw the game behind closed doors keep saying that there is a lot of very innovative stuff, maybe they found a way I don't know. We have the hint with the mushroom stuff, now let's try to figure out what could be done with the same prospect on a much larger scale :)

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a way either, but everyone who saw the game behind closed doors keep saying that there is a lot of very innovative stuff, maybe they found a way I don't know. We have the hint with the mushroom stuff, now let's try to figure out what could be done with the same prospect on a much larger scale :)

I assume the majority of it has to do with the packages. Finding packages players have dropped or lost. Accepting "quests" from other to take their packages somewhere. But that's not super innovative so there may be some extra twist to it.

Would be cool if, say, you used a ladder somewhere, then left it there, and another player (who forgot to bring their own ladder) comes across that spot and lucky for them there's a ladder there they can use because you didn't pick it up and put it away. Or when you reach a checkpoint, you buy a new pair of boots, but then just leave them on the ground or in some kind of communal inventory so others can have a free pair of boots.

If the game's about making connections, strands, ropes, etc. I imagine the multiplayer aspect will mainly just be about being nice to other people. Paying it forward, etc. Like Dark Souls message system, only more integrated into the actual, physical space, and with no option for trolling.

But even then, none of that is as mind blowing as they are seemingly implying it is. It's definitely kinda new, but I'm keeping my expectations in check for the moment.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I assume the majority of it has to do with the packages. Finding packages players have dropped or lost. Accepting "quests" from other to take their packages somewhere. But that's not super innovative so there may be some extra twist to it.

Would be cool if, say, you used a ladder somewhere, then left it there, and another player (who forgot to bring their own ladder) comes across that spot and lucky for them there's a ladder there they can use because you didn't pick it up and put it away. Or when you reach a checkpoint, you buy a new pair of boots, but then just leave them on the ground or in some kind of communal inventory so others can have a free pair of boots.

If the game's about making connections, strands, ropes, etc. I imagine the multiplayer aspect will mainly just be about being nice to other people. Paying it forward, etc. Like Dark Souls message system, only more integrated into the actual, physical space, and with no option for trolling.

But even then, none of that is as mind blowing as they are seemingly implying it is. It's definitely kinda new, but I'm keeping my expectations in check for the moment.
Yeah, I'd like the idea of everyone is playing as Sam, but to each one individually other players are other courriers on the same mission to reunite the cities. Maybe the strands need to be not only established but maintained and even defended, and all the courriers asynchronously help each other in that task (the worldwide shared inventory seems kinda innovative though :) )

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, I'd like the idea of everyone is playing as Sam, but to each one individually other players are other courriers on the same mission to reunite the cities. Maybe the strands need to be not only established but maintained and even defended, and all the courriers asynchronously help each other in that task (the worldwide shared inventory seems kinda innovative though :) )
The online is optional. I see it more as a way to help eachother other than something needed to progress. Same as the messages and blood spots in Souls games.

What we know is that players can share resorces with other players, outposts and follow other players paths.

In the last gameplay bit there was also the mushroom and the ability to deliver lost cargo. Makes me thing if a player loses cargo in they jorney, other player can pick it up if they find it and deliver it or return it to the original carrier. Thers a like system so probably that will be some kind of currency.

I guess in TGS Kojima is going tho explain the online mechanics better. But i expect it to be something that is not really required for the game, but it will make ur life easier and inprove ur experience with the game.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Has there been more news on the closed-door footage that was shown?

Fantastic interview
Its been described as 2 intro trailers for the characters of Amelie and Die Hard man that explain the initial set up of the story, I think it was resumed in this thread.

Yep great interview, and for my 2 cents he seems genuine and enthusiast on the innovative aspect of the game :)

The online is optional. I see it more as a way to help eachother other than something needed to progress. Same as the messages and blood spots in Souls games.

What we know is that players can share resorces with other players, outposts and follow other players paths.

In the last gameplay bit there was also the mushroom and the ability to deliver lost cargo. Makes me thing if a player loses cargo in they jorney, other player can pick it up if they find it and deliver it or return it to the original carrier. Thers a like system so probably that will be some kind of currency.

I guess in TGS Kojima is going tho explain the online mechanics better. But i expect it to be something that is not really required for the game, but it will make ur life easier and inprove ur experience with the game.
Yeah I like the idea, imagine loosing a mission/cargo and there is no checkpoint so it seems lost forever, but later you discover another courrier/player found yoir lost cargo and finished the delivery for you, that would be sweet as far as connection between players go

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
-Your objective is to travel to the west coast of America, while delivering packages and making allies for Bridges
-You must safely travel across rough terrain while managing things like keeping your BB safe so you can maneuver around BTs safely, your health (which is measured in ml, so you can bleed out possibly?), and the durability of your packages and boots
-You can use various tools such as ladders and climbing rope (and more i've seen in menus, but can't identify) to maneuver around the terrain, and you have a limited amount of them, so if you get distracted by BTs or human enemies, you might have to leave something behind, which will hinder your travelling capabilities. There are going to be various exoskeletons that you can use, probably with different benefits and different cargo capacities. We only know of the "speed" exoskeleton, which judging by game logic is probably going to move faster than normal speeds but can only hold less items. The Ludens armor might be an end-game or secret exoskeleton/equipment
-Extremely varied locations like easy to traverse plains with small hills, rocky plateaus with claustrophobic crevices that you have to traverse past, and probably in, ruined cities, areas with lots of small mossy mountains and rivers, mars-like wastelands, massive mountains peaked with snow, snowy mountains, dense forests/swamp forests, and most likely more. According to leaks and speculation, possibly even the moon will be an end-game area. I wouldn't be surprised if there's even caves
-Various types of BTs, like the floating umbilical cord ones, based on cutscenes some that appear to be quadrupeds, when BTs catch you they can bring you to various miniboss-esque enemies that are dangerous
-When you die, you get transported to an ocean-like realm where you search for your body and items in first person, to come back to life
-When BTs eat a corpse, a voidout happens and leaves behind a crater. Possibly an aspect of gameplay as it is shown you can also deliver corpses and there was a cutscene showing a corpse being cremated, so you might also have to bag up and cremate any corpse you find to prevent craters that could interfere with travel.
-There is also Hades, the WW1 realm, which others also say you go when you die. Though with the confirmed ocean realm, that doesn't make much sense. If you fail to find your body and come back to life in time in the ocean realm, then perhaps a voidout happens at your corpse, you lose all the packages you were delivering, and you get sent to Hades where you have to fight/find a way out to restore your disintegrated body and come back to life
-A part of one of the trailers shows you breaking open a case for your rifle, and in the menu when pulling out a ladder in release trailer, there was a rifle, so it is possible that the rifle is something you have to opt in to bring along if you think your path is going to be especially dangerous, and it will add onto your weight so you don't always want to bring it, but your handgun will always be with you
-There are multiple delivery companies, the hazmat looking people probably one of them because they were trying to steal packages. Will most likely also have to watch out for rival delivery companies trying to hijack your packages, and they will probably also have varying equipment to attack you, but most will most likely not use guns because they don't want to damage the packages. You most likely will also be able to steal their packages and deliver them
-You might get to temporarily use superpower things like the golden mask later in the game

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
-Your objective is to travel to the west coast of America, while delivering packages and making allies for Bridges
-You must safely travel across rough terrain while managing things like keeping your BB safe so you can maneuver around BTs safely, your health (which is measured in ml, so you can bleed out possibly?), and the durability of your packages and boots
-You can use various tools such as ladders and climbing rope (and more i've seen in menus, but can't identify) to maneuver around the terrain, and you have a limited amount of them, so if you get distracted by BTs or human enemies, you might have to leave something behind, which will hinder your travelling capabilities. There are going to be various exoskeletons that you can use, probably with different benefits and different cargo capacities. We only know of the "speed" exoskeleton, which judging by game logic is probably going to move faster than normal speeds but can only hold less items. The Ludens armor might be an end-game or secret exoskeleton/equipment
-Extremely varied locations like easy to traverse plains with small hills, rocky plateaus with claustrophobic crevices that you have to traverse past, and probably in, ruined cities, areas with lots of small mossy mountains and rivers, mars-like wastelands, massive mountains peaked with snow, snowy mountains, dense forests/swamp forests, and most likely more. According to leaks and speculation, possibly even the moon will be an end-game area. I wouldn't be surprised if there's even caves
-Various types of BTs, like the floating umbilical cord ones, based on cutscenes some that appear to be quadrupeds, when BTs catch you they can bring you to various miniboss-esque enemies that are dangerous
-When you die, you get transported to an ocean-like realm where you search for your body and items in first person, to come back to life
-When BTs eat a corpse, a voidout happens and leaves behind a crater. Possibly an aspect of gameplay as it is shown you can also deliver corpses and there was a cutscene showing a corpse being cremated, so you might also have to bag up and cremate any corpse you find to prevent craters that could interfere with travel.
-There is also Hades, the WW1 realm, which others also say you go when you die. Though with the confirmed ocean realm, that doesn't make much sense. If you fail to find your body and come back to life in time in the ocean realm, then perhaps a voidout happens at your corpse, you lose all the packages you were delivering, and you get sent to Hades where you have to fight/find a way out to restore your disintegrated body and come back to life
-A part of one of the trailers shows you breaking open a case for your rifle, and in the menu when pulling out a ladder in release trailer, there was a rifle, so it is possible that the rifle is something you have to opt in to bring along if you think your path is going to be especially dangerous, and it will add onto your weight so you don't always want to bring it, but your handgun will always be with you
-There are multiple delivery companies, the hazmat looking people probably one of them because they were trying to steal packages. Will most likely also have to watch out for rival delivery companies trying to hijack your packages, and they will probably also have varying equipment to attack you, but most will most likely not use guns because they don't want to damage the packages. You most likely will also be able to steal their packages and deliver them
-You might get to temporarily use superpower things like the golden mask later in the game
Interesting

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds really cool.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't this have a topic?

I mean.... He drops a BOMB on what the game is....
He didn't drop any bombs. He just said you do lots of different things within the game, which is obvious to anyone with eyes and a functioning brain. This forum has already made up its mind about the game.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I would be fine without any Death Stranding threads until reviews come in. This forum goes full stupid in any Kojima related thread.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is pretty much what I've figured out as well from soaking up all the info.

And it sounds far more interesting than any other game coming out this holiday.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
On a side note, a very simple consideration about the main character, Sam.

Hideo Kojima could have named him in lots of different ways.

He chosed "Sam".

Now, maybe he just liked the name, or maybe it is some kind of reference to Uncle Sam.

And yet... considering the specific persona of Kojima, I would not be surprised if the real reason could be a little more... "vain".

What if he want his character to become the most famous videogame character named "Sam"? Thus, hitting the only one protagonist of a stealth game which ever somehow rivaled in popularity Solid Snake? (that is, Sam Fisher)

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit. Someone recorded and uploaded the Briefing video!

Low res and all but damn...still a awesome video.
Godbless you.
oZcQ3dP.gif

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Hey kudos to the DS subreddit, I just stole it from there. lol

Still a great video and there's a lot to unpack and pour over. Probably be thread worthy but DS threads don't do so well and maybe the leak will force them to release the real thing like the Heartman trailer.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Thanks for posting.

Kojima is really going wild on the film references.

DIE-HARDMAN saying "our new hope" and presenting Amelie as a hologram tasking Sam with a hero's journey is basically riffing off this:

I love it.

Not to mention the way Sam is dressed there and he's tasked with rescuing the President in a post apocalypse setting/city goes back to some Escape from New York/L.A vibes lol

Edit: I take it Heartman and Mama were part of the convoy that went with Amelie and helped set up UCA stations as they traveled across? So they probably set up Bridges outposts you can find to get supplies or switch your gear etc and communicate with Die-Hardman and Deadman back on the East Coast.

3 years though traveling across the US...

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention the way Sam is dressed there and he's tasked with rescuing the President in a post apocalypse setting/city goes back to some Escape from New York/L.A vibes lol

Edit: I take it Heartman and Mama were part of the convoy that went with Amelie and helped set up UCA stations as they traveled across? So they probably set up Bridges outposts you can find to get supplies or switch your gear etc and communicate with Die-Hardman and Deadman back on the East Coast.

3 years though traveling across the US...
I didn't notice that, but yeah DS seems to be a love letter to some of Kojima's favourite films/games/books.

Oh shit, cool video.

Also, confirmation Bridges isn't his actual name.
It sounds to me like most of the names are codenames or just embellishment on their real names. I'm sure we'll find out that Fragile who works for "Fragile Express" also has a real name. Same with Mama, Heartman, Deadman, Die-Hardman, Higgs etc.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
So uh why is Amelie also called Sam(antha)?

Samantha America Strand. Her real name?

Sam also says he's "Sam Porter Bridges. I'm not a Strand any more"

Are Sam, Bridget and Amelie a family? Uhh maybe Cliff was the father? Cliff Bridges? Possibly something happened 10 years prior where Cliff and Bridget established Bridges but something happened splintering the family...

I dunno I'm just throwing things out there but the names are interesting.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
Samantha America Strand. Her real name?

Sam also says he's "Sam Porter Bridges. I'm not a Strand any more"

Are Sam, Bridget and Amelie a family? Uhh maybe Cliff was the father? Cliff Bridges? Possibly something happened 10 years prior where Cliff and Bridget established Bridges but something happened splintering the family...

I dunno I'm just throwing things out there but the names are interesting.
I believe all these names are code names.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think the names are just nicknames tied to their job roles. Once Amelie assumes the presidency again, she'll be 'Sam(antha) America Strand' as she once was. Sam says that he isn't a 'Strand' anymore which implies that at one point he *was*

He is currently 'Sam Porter Bridges' a courier for the BRIDGES.

Fragile is called Fragile because she works/is the head of Fragile Express, another courier company.

This picture is starting to make a lot of sense. That's Bridget America Strand in the middle, the previous head of the United Cities of America before her passing. It's only natural to assume that the person on the left is Amelie/Samantha considering both her and Sam have had a history together.

Samantha and Sam got hitched at some point and he became a 'strand'. I feel Sam and Amelie represent an Adam and Eve dynamic in this story. It's worth noting that both Adam and Eve are central to the notion that humanity is essentially one big family, a single entity. This feels like the kind of thing Kojima would pull, especially with names like 'Samantha America Strand' and 'Sam America Strand'.

Both people are innocent and 'pure' until a chaotic force and symbol of the underworld (the Serpent) corrupts them. In the context of Death Stranding, that chaotic force/symbol of the underworld is the BTs who originate from 'Hades', the 'other side', the 'land of the dead'.

USWVXBX.png

Last edited:

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I think the names are just nicknames tied to their job roles. Once Amelie assumes the presidency again, she'll be 'Sam(antha) America Strand' as she once was. Sam says that he isn't a 'Strand' anymore which implies that at one point he *was*

He is currently 'Sam Porter Bridges' a courier for the BRIDGES.

Fragile is called Fragile because she works/is the head of Fragile Express, another courier company.

This picture is starting to make a lot of sense. That's Bridget America Strand in the middle, the previous head of the United Cities of America before her passing. It's only natural to assume that the person on the left is Amelie/Samantha considering both her and Sam have had a history together.

Samantha and Sam got hitched at some point and he became a 'strand'. I feel Sam and Amelie represent Adam and Eve dynamic in this story. It's worth nothing that both Adam and Eve are central to the notion that humanity is essentially one big family.

USWVXBX.png

That makes a little more sense.

What about Amelie still being on the beach so she doesn't age? If that's the case then how is she able to still exist in the real world? Are there 2 death states then? The purgatory Hades if the B.T or Death Stranding grab and pull you in the black oil and then the beach or blue hued world we've seen in the trailers and where Heartman keeps going for his family?

...I have more bloody questions than answers the more i think about it. LOL

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not gonna even try to figure out all those terms mentioned in the briefing,just wanna say the Norman looks beefy af.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Cliff did some kind of research with the BB given the opening/closing scene of the release date trailer, but something went wrong that caused him to defect to the other side. His character on the other side has a connection with babies or baby-like figures, it could be related to his way of trying to get back to the world of the living and to the BB who he lost his connection to before the start of the game. Sam and Cliff both share the same cross-shaped stomach scars. I would theorize that they have family ties, perhaps they are brothers.

s725XFa.png

The photo here indicates that perhaps Sam is Bridget's son or son-in-law, and whoever the pregnant lady is could have given birth to which is perhaps the original BB. I think her connection is the most mysterious of all. Is she Amelie? It doesn't look like her.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That makes a little more sense.

What about Amelie still being on the beach so she doesn't age? If that's the case then how is she able to still exist in the real world? Are there 2 death states then? The purgatory Hades if the B.T or Death Stranding grab and pull you in the black oil and then the beach or blue hued world we've seen in the trailers and where Heartman keeps going for his family?

...I have more bloody questions than answers the more i think about it. LOL
So this is just a dumb theory from me, don't take it as anything definitive.

We've seen Amelie in two different clothes, one in the red dress with her necklace and one in the grey dress where she's on the beach. Whenever she has been shown in the red dress, she is hopeful about reconnecting the United States, however, that one scene where she's overlooking the beach in the grey dress, she speaks to Sam in an almost hateful and pessimistic tone, stating that it's too late. It's worth mentioning that we've seen both Sam and a bunch of people in Hades/Purgatory Realm where they're discolored, almost grey-ish like. In the scene with Sam, he's pessimistic and contemplates suicide and in the scene with the crowd, they're walking towards the water, drowning themselves to death.

I think these are two very distinct parts of the game, with the red dress Amelie preceeding the grey dress one in the plot chronology. I have no idea to explain why she hasn't aged in those ten years but I'm inclined to believe that the red dress Amelie currently held in Edge Knot City at the start of the game is *her*, no fancy spirit shenanigans going on, just her actual self, but at some point, she becomes a spirit (both grey and red dress).

The game has likened Amelie to a 'spirit' of sorts. In the E3 2018 trailer, there's a bit that says 'Give Me Your Hand In Spirit' with Amelie shown afterwards at the Beach (again, she's wearing the grey dress here). We know that the color red plays a huge significance in this otherworld as the red stripes on Sam's outfit when he's discolored still remain, alongside Amelie's red dress and her tears of blood.

This particular scene with the landing craft in front of her probably belongs to Cliff, at it is a small naval vessel that serves to transport soldiers and vehicles during wartime, the kind of thing associated with Cliff out of all the characters. In the Release Date Trailer, she says 'goodbye, Sam' if you read her lips. The fact that she's holding that photo of him, Bridget and presumbly her which only Sam had and the landing craft approaches in a manner that looks like it's FOR her, it's probably the big goodbye scene for the game. It's when she goes onto the other side as Cliff takes her way and possibly becomes a spirit. He probably gives the photo to her as a sort of gift maybe.

XqA1NKi.png

I think Amelie not ageing has something to do with her necklace. That's going to be a big MacGuffin considering Higgs steals it from her in the Release Date Trailer, puts it on himself and carries her unconscious body. Not to mention all the scenes where she's not wearing it, when she's being controlled by Higgs (who can control the dead). I think what happens is that she's captured by Higgs, has no necklace, Sam defeats Higgs, she gets her necklace back and goes to the other side to possibly face off against Cliff for some reason. She has her necklace on if you look at the above image in this supposed 'goodbye' scene meaning it happens near the end of the game.

Both screens are in the same location and she's wearing the same dress and necklace but Sam isn't blue so we can rule this out from being the other side. She probably chooses to go to the other side willingly near the end of the game. I think *that's* when she becomes a spirit and starts wearing the grey dress. Maybe she becomes more pessimistic then.

ZW3YSNf.png

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Btw, I love how Die-Hardman's name makes perfect sense now. He refuses to let the UCA and Amelie's goal of reuniting the remaining settlements die in the face of all the different dangers and opposition they face. He'll do anything to ensure their goal is seen to completion. Very fitting for the commander of BRIDGES.

klEmlgO.png

Status
Not open for further replies.