• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA

It's funny how he brings up trying to design and come up with something new and then everyone boils it down to "oh it's just a walking simulator" lol

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Great quote from Game Informer. Even his staff shared concerns about the game's concept being boring, and they ended up liking it.

A new concept is really difficult to explain at the start. The stealth game, no one really got it when I first presented it. Your first enemies are always your staff, or the people working with you. "You carry things, you connect, and you only give thumbs-up – what's fun about that?" was the first reaction. If I had listened, it would just be a normal game. But a lot of staff, they believed me. They said, "Okay, we'll try it out." A lot of staff members, whether quickly or late, they start to get it. I can't really blame the staff, because I can't show inside of my brain. No one understood at all when I first explained. "Are you insane?" But they participated. Norman, Mads [Mikkelsen], same. When I asked them to join, and I explained to them, they had no idea what I was going to do.

I need it. I was literally sitting down watching the timer countdown until my digital copy unlocked for like a minute last night.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Do we know if they're releasing the TGS walkthroughs in English/direct-feed? I haven't watched the private room one yet for instance.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Do we know if they're releasing the TGS walkthroughs in English/direct-feed? I haven't watched the private room one yet for instance.

There was a possibility and IGN was going to translate the private room one themselves but nothing so far.

Game Watch had a interesting article where Kojima was a little worried the attendance for the 50 minute demo on business day was smaller than expected. However when they showcased the private room demo with general admission the area was filled to capacity and some were turned away.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017

It's funny how he brings up trying to design and come up with something new and then everyone boils it down to "oh it's just a walking simulator" lol

This was the most interesting part in the whole interview for me:
How does the concept of the chiral network differ from our modern-day communication?

It's a "letter theory." It wasn't real-time before, in the past. For instance, a husband writes a letter from the battlefield a long time ago: "I don't know when I'm going to die." And he sends it, and it takes a couple months before it arrives, and the wife receives it and reads it. There's a time when she thinks, "He might be dead." The wife has to imagine what he was thinking at the time he was writing – and this was the communication then. Right now, it's more real-time.

This is about caring for people. It's not direct; I wanted to do that with the internet we have today. If someone puts a cup there in Death Stranding, you might think to yourself, "Did that person deliberately put it there? Did he just have to throw away the load? But you think about it. It's like the letter theory. In this direct communication era, I wanted to create an indirect communication using the technology of today so you feel for others more. Like you used to, back then – the 20th Century, 19th Century style – when people had to think about others in communication. But nowadays people forget about it because we're so direct. I can Face Time you any time. So, right now, if I see your cup, I can phone you and say, 'Hey, what's this cup for?" But in Death Stranding, you can't. You have to think about it.

Now, when you place a cup after that experience, you have to think about, "What would people think if I put it here?" So I believe that this way, people's feeling towards each other will deepen in Death Stranding because of how it's connected.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
There was a possibility and IGN was going to translate the private room one themselves but nothing so far.

Game Watch had a interesting article where Kojima was a little worried the attendance for the 50 minute demo on business day was smaller than expected. However when they showcased the private room demo with general admission the area was filled to capacity and some were turned away.
I'll wait then a little bit although I know the gist of the private room stuff. Cheers!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Just a prepper side character. The Japanese voice actor for Kaz is basically dubbing another US celebrity who has a cameo as a prepper.
Apparently a new Japanese VA was introduced in the QA session, he has a secret role ( so probably voicing a celebrity cameo) but I think I read somewhere he is voicing a prepper, so really a cameo a la Geoff or the Musician
Ah ok.

Do we think we've seen all the significant characters in the game?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Ah ok.

Do we think we've seen all the significant characters in the game?
You mean like characters that are not guest preppers? I think so yeah. I think that because almost every main character is still mainly a big mistery story wise, beside their main thing/gimmick, we now nothing about Deadman, Die Hard Man, Heart Man, Mama etc. even Sam has a foggy backstory for the moment.

The character we now the more about is Amelie, and it is so obvious that there is a twist coming with this character. So with all these characters already presented but still a mistery to us, I think if there was another celebrity with a main role a la Reedus, Mikkelsen etc, they would have been announced already. I think all celebrities left are gonna be preppers

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You mean like characters that are not guest preppers? I think so yeah. I think that because almost every main character is still mainly a big mistery story wise, beside their main thing/gimmick, we now nothing about Deadman, Die Hard Man, Heart Man, Mama etc. even Sam has a foggy backstory for the moment.

The character we now the more about is Amelie, and it is so obvious that there is a twist coming with this character. So with all these characters already presented but still a mistery to us, I think if there was another celebrity with a main role a la Reedus, Mikkelsen etc, they would have been announced already. I think all celebrities left are gonna be preppers
That's true yeah, major characters don't typically come in in the middle of Kojima games. They're usually all introduced at the beginning.

I wonder if we'll get some boss characters/villains that are unseen yet? With all the cities you're going to would it really just be Cliff and Gold Mask Man?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
That's true yeah, major characters don't typically come in in the middle of Kojima games. They're usually all introduced at the beginning.

I wonder if we'll get some boss characters/villains that are unseen yet? With all the cities you're going to would it really just be Cliff and Gold Mask Man?
Nah there's gonna be more for sure. In my crazy head, more is either :

-Amelie was evil the hole time / Amelie was dead the all time
-Die Heard Man has hidden ulterior motives
-Aliens/cosmic stuff responsible for the Death Stranding
-BB becmes eventually older and plays a major part in either side

Or even more crazy stuff ^^

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Nah there's gonna be more for sure. In my crazy head, more is either :

-Amelie was evil the hole time / Amelie was dead the all time
-Die Heard Man has hidden ulterior motives
-Aliens/cosmic stuff responsible for the Death Stranding
-BB becmes eventually older and plays a major part in either side

Or even more crazy stuff ^^

This whole Chiral network /crystals/allergies etc sounds whack. It's going to be some Neon Genesis Evangelion shit where humanity discovered the first B.T and created the Chiral Network from it to spread across America and when they flipped the switch it caused the Death Stranding and the cataclysmic event summoning more Ange...B.Ts...

Maybe. lol

Gamespot spoke to Kojima too and the idea of sequels.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
This whole Chiral network /crystals/allergies etc sounds whack. It's going to be some Neon Genesis Evangelion shit where humanity discovered the first B.T and created the Chiral Network from it to spread across America and when they flipped the switch it caused the Death Stranding and the cataclysmic event summoning more Ange...B.Ts...

Maybe. lol

Gamespot spoke to Kojima too and the idea of sequels.
Damn how did forget about the chiral crystals and especially the fact that Giant BT has a living giant chiral crystal instead of a head. What's up with that lol

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Do we have some physicists here?

Quantum entanglement sounds particularly interesting. It takes the whole connection stuff to a whole new level.
That Higgs field necklace is really interesting. Higgs (the character) has part of the electromagnetic tensor equation tattooed onto his eyebrow.

guQcghr.png

This whole business with the Higgs Boson (or God Particle) will play a large part in the game tbh. You can tell Kojima has had this idea in his mind for a while. If you go back to July 4, 2012, the Higgs Boson was discovered. Kojima tweeted this three days later.

Death Stranding has many supernatural elements, but I think the plot will lean more towards how science and the US' research allowed them to interact with different realities and dimensions but also being able to bend their own, bringing about the BTs as a result of their actions. We see Higgs possess the ability to teleport, maybe this is more of a physics/science thing than anything supernatural.

Last edited:

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Damn how did forget about the chiral crystals and especially the fact that Giant BT has a living giant chiral crystal instead of a head. What's up with that lol

Some of the cargo includes Chiralaeum or whatever too that stops the progress of time like the cargo Sam takes with sperm and eggs. There's the theory that Amelie's necklace is made of the same material so that's why she's not aging.

Jun 26, 2018
Some of the cargo includes Chiralaeum or whatever too that stops the progress of time like the cargo Sam takes with sperm and eggs. There's the theory that Amelie's necklace is made of the same material so that's why she's not aging.

I thought she didn't age, because she is in the other realm or something, and chiralium is weaved into the clothes that Sam wears (and sometimes covering packages) in order to prevent it from being affected by timefall?

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
That Higgs field necklace is really interesting. Higgs (the character) has part of the electromagnetic tensor equation tattooed onto his eyebrow.

This whole business with the Higgs Boson (or God Particle) will play a large part in the game tbh. You can tell Kojima has had this idea in his mind for a while. If you go back to July 4, 2012, the Higgs Boson was discovered. Kojima tweeted this three days later.

Death Stranding has many supernatural elements, but I think the plot will lean more towards how science and the US' research allowed them to interact with different realities and dimensions but also being able to bend their own, bringing about the BTs as a result of their actions. We see Higgs possess the ability to teleport, maybe this is more of a physics/science thing than anything supernatural.

As far as I understood the Higgs Boson describes the reasons for a particle to have mass. Then we have the Schwarzschild radius on Sam's necklace, which defines the radius of black holes. Black holes are characterized by having a lot of concentrated mass with heavy gravitation, leading to deformation of spacetime.

Black holes must be caused when Homo Demons create these void outs. Amelie is stuck "on the beach", which means her body was swallowed by such a black hole and that's why she hasn't aged. This is also why Higgs can teleport and Amelie can communicate with Sam and the others, because spacetime has no meaning in the place where they are and Higgs isn't able to restrict these abilities once you are on the beach.

Higgs goal is not separation, but unification of humanity. It's just that unification doesn't take place in the world of the living. He probably plans to create a giant black hole with him being in the center of it, that's why he is named after the Higgs Boson. Note that I'm not a physicists, but this is what I get from these formulas and I could be entirely wrong.

I don't know what the other formulas mean, but this could potentially be the Interstellar of video games.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know what the other formulas mean, but this could potentially be the Interstellar of video games.
Electromagnetism seems to play a big part in Death Stranding. Obviously you've got things like Higgs' mask and him being able to control electricity and summon the Hunter through the electricity in his mask but even Fragile's suit and umbrella seem to generate a magnetic field, with the skewers on her suit signifying when the field is enabled or disabled. There's also that scene in the TGA 2016 trailer where Mads' compass goes haywire indicating there's a magnetic field around him.

When two entangled particles interact, they annihilate each other or 'void out'. Maybe this could symbolise the relationship between the BTs and Humans.

I like the theory that the US tried to create a sort of second 'Chiral' Earth by coupling the Higgs field to virtual antiparticles and then tried to send people over to this 'second Earth' only for them to be killed and 'stranded' there (that would be Hades/the other side), causing their souls (BTs) to bleed onto our Earth who are conversely stranded in our world. Just like how BTs in our world would be unnatural, Humans being on the other side is unnatural too and when the two collide, Voidouts happen.

Maybe the US government were experimenting with black holes or antimatter and caused the fourth explosion which brings about the Death Stranding. The Qpid and the equations on it play a significant role, but my question is what's their importance? What's Mads' importance to the overall plot? Kojima has stated before that Mads isn't a villain so maybe he's trying to prevent the events of Death Stranding from ever happening?

Black holes must be caused when Homo Demons create these void outs.
This point especially is really interesting, as while they may be the 'villainous' faction, it's all for the greater good (in their eyes anyways). They aren't just the mindless thugs the UCA is portraying them as (going by the BRIEFING trailer anyway and Die-Hardman's dialogue).

In the Game Informer interview, Kojima talks about how not everyone views the UCA as the good guys' and also somewhat compares them to the Ministry of Truth from George Orwell's 1984. From his words, there's that idea of networking and rejecting but it's up to the player to come up with their own opinion. I really like this shades of gray angle Kojima is pushing. There are no clear-cut 'good' and 'bad' guys.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Not clear on how holding packages in your hands work yet, prompts show you can pick them up to hold in your left or right hand with the appropriate shoulder button, another prompt shows you can release L2 or R2 to place a package on the hoverboard, so would you have to keep the shoulder button held to carry things in your hand?

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
However, in the interview he said that much of Death Stranding is inspired by the Japanese concept of "omoiyari," which can be loosely translated to compassion for others. He goes on to explore the various ways this omoiyari can manifest, the feelings it can inspire, and how that all manifests in the game.

Reading this and can't stop laughing/crying while browsing other DS threads with that in mind.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
MGSV gameplay with cosmic horror weirdness is all I need. I can get past the corny dialogue and the walking sim aspects as long as those two elements are present.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I think the unaging of Amelie is a trick, after all she's just a projection, I'm sure we will be surprised when we meet her in edge knot city ;)
And it still doesnt help with the giant living chiral crystal head ^^

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Seems like if we create a void out in our game it doesn't affect other player's game worlds. Originally that was the plan to do so but didn't want player's mistakes to affect others, it felt too negative.

Also the beach and Sam are explained...
in that Sam has a special connection where he cannot die. When he "does" he goes to the beach located between the living and the Hades world and you need to body to return back to the living world. This is where the original teaser took place.

Info comes from a extensive Danish interview from TGS that's on the subreddit.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Great quote from Game Informer. Even his staff shared concerns about the game's concept being boring, and they ended up liking it.

I need it. I was literally sitting down watching the timer countdown until my digital copy unlocked for like a minute last night.

Honestly, when it comes to Kojima, gameplay is literally the last thing I would be worried about.

Despite his movie obsession and focus on cutscenes, his writing can be hit or miss-- but in the gameplay department he know's what he's doing as a designer and director.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Here is the 50 minute gameplay demo with english subtitles (turn on closed captions)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.