• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2018
If you really want to argue they saw early art and made up a story around it, fine, but what use is that to anyone? There's no benefit to this bullshit and the Lindsey Wagner casting as a love interest was the only long shot. Further casting claims by the same person of Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Emma Watson, Idris Elba and others don't do it any favours.

Leaks don't usually tend to do things any favors? As I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it, since this seems to be from an early point in the development, so there will be a lot of inaccuracies, though I could definitely imagine a lot of the overarching themes/concepts do still exist in the game in some form.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
That seems legit to me? We know there are flashbacks and we know helping others and working together as sort of a community is large parts of the game? How does that not match up to you? And again, that leak is from very early on, not everything will match up as things change in development.

Also shit get's lost in translation, as well as the game of telephone probably involved in Kojima explaining the concept to del toro and him explaining it to his crew afterwards.
Because the "rope" was never some meta puzzle. Kojima always talked about it in terms of game mechanics. This person was describing a game focused on killing that somehow unites the community by playing online detectives.
We know that Lindsay Wagner was sold on the premise because it was the opposite of a game about killing. She wouldn't be here if he came to her with this pitch, and apparently he was already trying to get her on board when this was written.

If this is a case of things getting lost in translation, then they've somehow managed to turn the entire concept on its head. I don't buy it.

Jun 26, 2018
Because the "rope" was never some meta puzzle. Kojima always talked about it in terms of game mechanics. This person was describing a game focused on killing that somehow unites the community by playing online detectives.
We know that Lindsay Wagner was sold on the premise because it was the opposite of a game about killing. She wouldn't be here if he came to her with this pitch, and apparently he was already trying to get her on board when this was written.

If this is a case of things getting lost in translation, then they've somehow managed to turn the entire concept on its head. I don't buy it.
In that leak there is a few things outside of the Lindsay Wagner announcement I'd call highly improbable calls:

- surprise actor no one on the team knows about, it's mentioned in the first post. This actually happened. It just got teased at TGS this year and no one knew about that (including all the Japanese voice actors) and the characters face and English voice actor name was blurred out.

- The stuff about the rival (in business perhaps) / love interest character "Eve", wears a black suit that is more "aggressive", that sure Sounds a lot like fragile's character to me.

There's more in there I could reasonably say applies to death stranding as we know it now post-TGS.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
That seems legit to me? We know there are flashbacks and we know helping others and working together as sort of a community is large parts of the game? How does that not match up to you? And again, that leak is from very early on, not everything will match up as things change in development.

Also shit get's lost in translation, as well as the game of telephone probably involved in Kojima explaining the concept to del toro and him explaining it to his crew afterwards.

That leaker said you need to work with other people to figure out the story and advance through it. This is false though, Kojima just recently mentioned you don't even need to interact with other players, and you can just play the storyline.

GR: How many players can come to my aid when fighting a vicious enemy? Like a huge army?​
Kojima: It really depends on how you play the game, how many thumbs up you give other players, or how you contribute by creating something - it varies from player to player. Some people don't interact at all and just play the storyline. That way, people don't come and help you.​

That leaker basically just assumed DS's multiplayer would work like PT, but it doesn't. Kojima also said his vision since the beginning hasn't changed, so I think any assumptions regarding gameplay changes shifting the focus from "hunting like predator" to "delivery man" can be thrown out the window.

Jun 26, 2018
That leaker said you need to work with other people to figure out the story and advance through it. This is false though, Kojima just recently mentioned you don't even need to interact with other players, and you can just play the storyline.

GR: How many players can come to my aid when fighting a vicious enemy? Like a huge army?​
Kojima: It really depends on how you play the game, how many thumbs up you give other players, or how you contribute by creating something - it varies from player to player. Some people don't interact at all and just play the storyline. That way, people don't come and help you.​

That leaker basically just assumed DS's multiplayer would work like PT, but it doesn't. Kojima also said his vision since the beginning hasn't changed, so I think any assumptions regarding gameplay changes shifting the focus from "hunting like predator" to "delivery man" can be thrown out the window.

But it does kinda work like p.t. in the sense that people work together. (They don't have to sure, but that seems to run counter to the point of the game)

(online communities tried to work out solutions in P.T. which is comparable to working together in death stranding I'd say)

Regardless I'm not saying the leak is accurate, of course not, it was made very early in the development and the person probably got their info through a game of telephone between Kojima, a translator maybe, and then del toro, and we know how hard people have struggled to understand Kojima explaining the concept, to this day.

All I'm saying is the leak seems legitimate, even with it's inaccuracies, it's gotten way more right than I'd say is plausible for a "troll leak".

Oct 26, 2017
- The stuff about the rival (in business perhaps) / love interest character "Eve", wears a black suit that is more "aggressive", that sure Sounds a lot like fragile's character to me.

"The enemies are heavily inspired by Nazis. Borderline inspired to the point where he might've come out implenented it. As you remember, we mentioned Eve wearing menacing space armor decked out in black that had Prussian elements. Long story short, we had to knock some sense into Kojima that if he ever wanted this to get released, any Nazi imagery would have to be removed completely. Putting two and two together, you'll see what Kojima is trying to convey"

Jun 26, 2018
"The enemies are heavily inspired by Nazis. Borderline inspired to the point where he might've come out implenented it. As you remember, we mentioned Eve wearing menacing space armor decked out in black that had Prussian elements. Long story short, we had to knock some sense into Kojima that if he ever wanted this to get released, any Nazi imagery would have to be removed completely. Putting two and two together, you'll see what Kojima is trying to convey"

That just makes it sound more accurate honestly, since it clearly makes sense that her outfit is scaled back from whatever the concept art was, but it still retains the aggressiveness in the form of the shoulder spikes and skeleton imagery.

but I haven't read the leaks you posted, which is what I'm assuming you're quoting, I'm talking specifically about the one shy posted, which has more than enough to convince me it's legit, at least at a glance.

NIV093

May 31, 2019
Why do you think those two things are fake ?

It's a what now ?

I don't remember that bit. LOL. (though i haven't read the whole thing for a very long time now. LOL)
Kojima outright said that Del toro is busy with films so he is only appearing in this game as a guest . The leaker on 4chan said he was apart of Del Toro's team so thats completely false.

NIV093

May 31, 2019
Oh yeah the scientist Mads scenes are flashbacks but I think the soldier scenes with Mads are happening concurrently. Deadman has the baby when confronting Mads. I feel like the first teaser trailer probably happens in the middle of the game. I still think the 5 floating figures represents Mads and his skeleton squad.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
This leak feels kinda bs right now. Kojima said that he had the whole concept of Death Stranding in his head even before the development has officially started. There's no way it was intended to be a hunting game. Or maybe Kojima deceived us into believing that DS is about connecting America but in fact it's a whole another game. Kojima being Kojima.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Kojima outright said that Del toro is busy with films so he is only appearing in this game as a guest . The leaker on 4chan said he was apart of Del Toro's team so thats completely false.

Not necessarily. Del Toro was scanned but the motion capture and voice acting was done by another actor, so his character can perfectly appear through all the entire game.

NIV093

May 31, 2019
Ahhh. I didn't remember that. Thanks.
No prob, but yeah I still think that person somehow knew something , even if Mads and Lindsay Wagner were being retweeted a lot by Kojima, and Troy Baker is in every video game I still think thats a huge call to make. Maybe Idris Elba was who he wanted to originally cast as Die Hardman? Its a weird leak aha.

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
In that leak there is a few things outside of the Lindsay Wagner announcement I'd call highly improbable calls:

- surprise actor no one on the team knows about, it's mentioned in the first post. This actually happened. It just got teased at TGS this year and no one knew about that (including all the Japanese voice actors) and the characters face and English voice actor name was blurred out.

There's more in there I could reasonably say applies to death stranding as we know it now post-TGS.
It does sound a lot like Fragile to me. Come to think of it, I have a feeling Lea is going to have a bigger role. Remember this holiday photo from Kojima Productions?

NIV093

May 31, 2019
Not necessarily. Del Toro was scanned but the motion capture and voice acting was done by another actor, so his character can perfectly appear through all the entire game.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/23/14363464/guillermo-del-toro-death-stranding-role-involvement Oh yeah I meant that I think people were wondering about Del Toro's involvement in the game because he was originally collaborating with Kojima on SIlent Hills but Kojima and Del Toro confirmed they aren't working together on this project.

Oct 26, 2017
That just makes it sound more accurate honestly, since it clearly makes sense that her outfit is scaled back from whatever the concept art was, but it still retains the aggressiveness in the form of the shoulder spikes and skeleton imagery.

but I haven't read the leaks you posted, which is what I'm assuming you're quoting, I'm talking specifically about the one shy posted, which has more than enough to convince me it's legit, at least at a glance.

Fragile is not wearing 'more aggressive space armour', 'more aggressive space armour' would look something like this:

This was released in June 2016!
I won't even go into 'Eve' being interchangable for Lindsey Wagner and Fragile depending on what bullshit you are trying to believe at the time

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018
cqq68MS.png

Forgive the lazy shop, only working with MS Paint at the moment!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima should join the Lakers
:O

Really though, i like that comparison. We should all be enjoying this new chapter. As much as I love the MGS series, this is a breath of fresh air seeing him and his team independent and free to essentially do as they please. In retrospect...playing all the MGS games and listening to all the side stories/content, you can tell KojiPro had way more in them than to stick to one type of series.
Yeah you can tell some of the later stuff in MGS that was oddly detailed like the Boss going to space, the vocal cord parasites etc. were stuff that could've fit in a different series

to be fair, Kojima uses that a lot what with Meryl, EVA and Quiet

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This theory posting is getting me excited to play. But I'm mostly interested in Kojima's words during the gameplay demo where he basically said you have to play it for yourself to really get it and the traversal is engaging and fun.

just really curious what changes has made to the usual hold forward in the stick to walk mechanic.

Lannisters1798 thank you!! I can't sleep so hopefully this will help.

Jun 26, 2018
Fragile is not wearing 'more aggressive space armour', 'more aggressive space armour' would look something like this:

This was released in June 2016!
I won't even go into 'Eve' being interchangable for Lindsey Wagner and Fragile depending on what bullshit you are trying to believe at the time

I didn't say space armor, but whatever, no need to get mad, we'll see what's what in little over a month when the game releases :)

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Missed opportunity to say "Death Stranding has gone chiral crystal!"

Congrats to Kojipro, we're colser than ever :)

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just saw that DS online does not require PSPlus, and a crazy thought crossed my mind.

DS might have some sort of Pokemon Go kinda thing going on making being online an essential part (inside the game, no app). I mean its Kojima and all his talk about strings and connecting america its not a huge stretch of imagination.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gold?!

Man, why isn't there a thread for this, I had to find out in the Trump whistle-blower complaint thread, lol.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Well certainly not now it's sold out and you'll have to pay scalper prices.

My order is locked and ready tho.

I live in an obscure place and could get one locally without much issue
I'm glad the art book is separate though as it's the thing I care about most and have it pre-ordered, I don't even have any version of the game ordered

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Weird. I could of sworn I saw a tweet from Kojima earlier today talking about the new DS vocal theme being in the launch trailer as he's still editing it, track #20 off of the OST, but I can't seem to find it now...

Apparently we or B.B can communicate via the Dual Shock controller speaker too. lol

Edit: never mind, found the tweet in question!

OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
Weird. I could of sworn I saw a tweet from Kojima earlier today talking about the new DS vocal theme being in the launch trailer as he's still editing it, track #20 off of the OST, but I can't seem to find it now...

Apparently we or B.B can communicate via the Dual Shock controller speaker too. lol

Edit: never mind, found the tweet in question!

Probably the main theme for the game. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.