• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I guess this ESRB description is not safe. Thanks for the heads up !
It's not really unsafe either, but it describes 2 things that happen in the game without naming characters, but normally if you followed the game a little, you're already expecting these 2 things to happen. Well maybe not the Zeke riding, but still, it's ok

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The fruits of Kojima's Russia visit are starting to pop up on the internet in the form of interviews. Here's a few of 'em

Posting some good bits from the various different interviews:
Question said:
In many interviews, you talk about the feeling of loneliness that causes Death Stranding. Once you yourself mentioned that you are quite alone - and that if you are alone with yourself, you immediately turn on the TV. Can Death Stranding be considered an attempt to realize this feeling, to cope with it?
In a way, you're right." Sometimes I feel lonely, and when you are lonely, you try to somehow fight this. Again, books and films created by the authors, whose work inspired me, saved me from loneliness. In the gaming industry, I try to do the same. I have been surrounded by other people all my life — at school or at work. But I never found points of intersection and complete understanding with them. It seemed to me that we did not hear each other, that they did not understand me. But when I began to get involved in foreign literature and cinema, I saw that there are other people with a similar worldview. Then I realized that I'm not so alone. And in my work, through my work, I try to look for like-minded people.

Question said:
Apparently, the world of Death Stranding will be constantly changing depending on what the players are doing. Tell me how important it is to play on the release. Indeed, in theory, in six months all the main roads and paths will be laid.
They often ask about this, but I can say that after all there isn't - there won't be such a thing that you've come to some location, and it has already been completely studied by other players, done everything for you, and you just need to get ready. It is important that the player himself can go this way and go through this adventure and thus individualize it for himself.

The game provides for mechanics that nullify what is happening - the rains that wash away everything that was done by other players. Plus, the gameplay is designed in such a way that there is no strong influence of the gameplay of other players on your personal gameplay.

Question said:
You recently wrote that you are very exhausted and want to go on vacation. What are you planning to do after the release of Death Stranding? Describe Hideo Kojima's perfect vacation.
It is unlikely that I can go on vacation after the release of Death Stranding. And if I go, then maybe I'll fly into space. Just kidding! Of course, physically I can go on vacation. But this is in some sense useless, because the head will continue to work anyway. Even when I travel with my family, my thoughts are still busy with what kind of next game I will do. Perhaps this is some kind of mental illness. I do not even know! Four years ago, when my studio gained independence, I first thought: "Maybe a year to relax?" But, knowing myself, I realized that it was useless. And on December 15, 2015, I broke up with the previous employer , and three days later I already launched my own studio.

It's nice that we have proper confirmation that Timefall will slowly wash away stuff built between players. It makes sense for stuff like packages and cargo but knowing this is the case for player-built structures like bridges and highways too is interesting. Makes the world feel like a really dangerous place. Nothing is forever (outside of void outs lol).

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Something I noticed from the Briefing trailer.

Amelie wants to shake hands with Sam but she is a hologram.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
She also tries to stop him when he leaves by getting between him and the door ^^
She seems desperate in that moment or maybe she wants to show him that she really want to do this.

That handshake is still weird, maybe it was meant to be symbolic because Cliff said in one of the trailers "How can you forge connections when you can't shake hands." But on second thought, it doesn't make sense lol.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
She seems desperate in that moment or maybe she wants to show him that she really want to do this.

That handshake is still weird, maybe it was meant to be symbolic because Cliff said in one of the trailers "How can you forge connections when you can't shake hands." But on second thought, it doesn't make sense lol.
Yeah I was mostly joking, actually I didnt notice the handshake attempt in the cutscene, it's indeed really weird

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The fruits of Kojima's Russia visit are starting to pop up on the internet in the form of interviews. Here's a few of 'em

About this part:
The game provides for mechanics that nullify what is happening - the rains that wash away everything that was done by other players. Plus, the gameplay is designed in such a way that there is no strong influence of the gameplay of other players on your personal gameplay.

Hm... :/ Does kinda kill off any ambition I had to contribute to something bigger. Like the examples Kojima mentioned during the TGS demo, of many players contributing to build a bridge or a highway. Knowing everything will nullified anyway...

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
About this part:

Hm... :/ Does kinda kill off any ambition I had to contribute to something bigger. Like the examples Kojima mentioned during the TGS demo, of many players contributing to build a bridge or a highway. Knowing everything will nullified anyway...
Maybe some stuff can stand the test of time(falls) if enough people keep contributing, maybe that's one of the points :)

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
About this part:

Not worth it even if it helps at least one person?

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
I'm sure persistence will be implemented in a good way. I'm kinda relieved to know I won't be having a mapped out path. It's been touted as a new genre, so I'm fairly confident that aspect of the game is balanced. I can see some structures degrading over time because of the rain, without being "swept" away after a first shower, and players stumbling upon them being given the choice to repair/maintain them.

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
The multiplayer aspects to me sound like flavor, thematic and whatnot. I like that it's mostly a single player game. It just seems to fit. But I'm open to new things, especially if Hideo is trying them.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
About this part:

I think it's more about maintaining the stuff you've built with players. You have to first establish the connection, and from there maintain it. What's the point if all that was already done for you, ya know? It also secures longevity for the game so you can jump in a year down the line without having missed out on anything.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The OT is >50% done, and I have been working on it all day. Not really going with any GIFs on this one to save those with slower connections. It's also designed to fit both light and dark themes. Looks fire. Definitely one of my proudest works. Anything I should add to it that I might not have considered? I was gonna add in a section for all the media such as trailers, song play lists, avatars, and reviews.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Definitely one of my proudest works.
Great to hear man, happy for you.

The OT is >50% done, and I have been working on it all day. Not really going with any GIFs on this one to save those with slower connections. It's also designed to fit both light and dark themes. Looks fire. Definitely one of my proudest works. Anything I should add to it that I might not have considered? I was gonna add in a section for all the media such as trailers, song play lists, avatars, and reviews.
I've no idea if you could fit this in and if you can't that's perfectly fine, but this message from Kojima is really poignant and sums up what he's trying to do with the game. I feel it deserves a place in the actual OT as we'll probably run into a few people that are mad this isn't the shootbang game they were expecting coming off of MGSV. Could probably drop it near the end.

aKGktvh.png

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear man, happy for you.

I've no idea if you could fit this in and if you can't that's perfectly fine, but this message from Kojima is really poignant and sums up what he's trying to do with the game. I feel it deserves a place in the actual OT as we'll probably run into a few people that are mad this isn't the shootbang game they were expecting coming off of MGSV. Could probably drop it near the end.

Ooh! I'll definitely drop that in.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Can't
Fuckin
Wait

Jun 4, 2018

Thanks for making it!

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Kojima feels that only international authors are like him, huh. Lol, this guy.

I am really hoping for a whacky, crazy story but with a clear structure. It doesn't seem to be any time travel element on the story so far, which I am glad. And since he already said the game might need sequels, I hope that at least Sam arc is complete.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I don't get it, didn't he say before the trailer was already submitted to Sony?

He basically turned over a rough edit for their legal to approve that's all. They just announced the world tour starting October 30th so the trailer will likely drop that week.

There's a recent famitsu interview that's pretty interesting. Talks about the feedback from various playtesting and how the US looks the way it does in the game because Time Fall has basically reverted the land back to it's primal state.

Also the void out craters you might make in the game will eventually erode way per Time Fall.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
He basically turned over a rough edit for their legal to approve that's all. They just announced the world tour starting October 30th so the trailer will likely drop that week.

There's a recent famitsu interview that's pretty interesting. Talks about the feedback from various playtesting and how the US looks the way it does in the game because Time Fall has basically reverted the land back to it's primal state.

Also the void out craters you might make in the game will eventually erode way per Time Fall.
Yeah I just saw the thread for the Tour, starts in my hometown actually , big hype :)

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
If I put this page through the translation tool in Chrome, will it be readable? ^^
That's what I'm doing right now lol, seems to work fine. Also this Famitsu feature has direct feed screenshots from the TGS demo, these haven't been uploaded to the PS site yet. These are in English too. Makes me think they're gonna drop the translated direct feed TGS gameplay soon.

z_5d9c2f198aeec.jpg

z_5d9c2f1987bfd.jpg

z_5d9c2f197e46d.jpg

z_5d9c2f19719ad.jpg

z_5d9c2f1994cdc.jpg

z_5d9c2f197af0b.jpg

z_5d9c2f198159d.jpg

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the Famitsu interview isn't looking good through Chrome translation tool. I mean you can understand what is said, but the sentences are just so goofy ^^

He straight up confirms that you can directly fight mules and homodemens upfront, "if you"re good at shooters"

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
People who don't have an internet environment or who don't like online can play solo, but I don't want them to do so much.

Straight from the mouth of the dragon. So much of Death Stranding's thematic significance is hindered on this 'Social Strand System' and connecting with one another. I feel playing offline just misses the point of all of this.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
"DEATH STRANDING" basically has no game over. When you fall from a cliff or are shot by a terrorist, you wander as a soul in an underwater space called a "knot" and looks for your body. If you can get into your body, you will come back from the "knot" between that world and this world. The place where Sam stood naked in the early trailer is the "beach" beyond the knot. The back is that world.

z_5d9c2f199196c.jpg

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
The "letter from a soldier to his wife" analogy is back in the Famitsu interview !

He really insists with this one, I think I understand what he means with that, and that could actually be a very effective storytelling device like once you connect a city, the people living there get access to the UCA network, and can finally see what other people they might know from other cities are up to , or finally receiving communications they were sent in the past and never received because they were not connected to the network. It could be a good ground for tearjerking stories for sure

The Beach is the place beyond the Knot... very interesting. So the Knot is where people stuck in between worlds are stranded. The Beach is a spot beyond that Knot, and from what we saw, Sam and Samantha met there in the past. It's also the place where Heartman goes to when he "dies" to look for his family. In a trailer, we see him being dragged from the people on the beach (I suppose because he is waking up in the real world). The people on the beach are all looking in the same direction, the horizon. what are they looking/waiting for?...
Stuff start to make more and more sense, hype !

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
He really insists with this one, I think I understand what he means with that, and that could actually be a very effective storytelling device like once you connect a city, the people living there get access to the UCA network, and can finally see what other people they might know from other cities are up to , or finally receiving communications they were sent in the past and never received because they were not connected to the network. It could be a good ground for tearjerking stories for sure
Yeah I agree wholeheartedly. This 'letter' analogy extends to the actual gameplay itself. You leave stuff out in the environment and a few hours or even a day later, someone who you'll never meet can discover this lone ladder or cargo or whatever and then react by using it (and thereby leaving a Like so you know someone was there) or deliver your lost cargo for you. It's the 'letter' theory in action. You'll never know if leaving stuff out in the open for other players will even help them until it does, just like how soldiers who send letters off to their wives will never know if it'll make it to them. You're engaging with each other, but it isn't instant. There's still some level of 'uncertainty'.

Even though leaving tools out in the environment could be detrimental to your own journey, you know that doing such a thing will mean that someone else on their own journey will find things a little easier. You're connecting with them, and that's really cool.

I remember earlier this year Kojima was talking about how when he left Konami, he felt like he lost everything, but then he slowly realized that he had a lot of connections with many different people. These 'strands' so to speak. Like Sony people, like Norman, Geoff, Mads, Del Toro etc and that he wanted to reconnect with all these people he thought were important to him. It really sheds some light on the kind of game Death Stranding is and where the inspiration for it came from. It's a really simple concept, but something dear to Kojima's heart.

Going back to the gameplay though, I'm the kind of player that wants to connect with everyone so you can be damn well sure I'll be leaving out my RIDE® WITH™ NORMAN REEDUS™ bike out for you all when I can.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What was the deal with the review embargo? Was it false? I'm also interested in how reviewers will experience the online portion the same way as players if Kojima is saying don't play it offline.

Status
Not open for further replies.