• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
So, are people liking the game or what? Beastcast made it sound like a potential shit show.
the dude that didn't like it also didn't like RDR2 which went on to become one of the highest scored games ever. still have to wait, we don't have impressions yet. strict NDA. A Sports writer said it was really good though.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He also doesn't like Metal Gear Rising because it's not as serious as "normal" MGS i guess and thought up till now that Metal Gear games have never been political so i take his Dan-ism as a crap shoot. His grievances for slow games like RDR2 are very clear and this game seems to be slow for the first bit of it.
How do these people end up playing videogames for living when everything they play goes over their heads.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have faith in GB though cause they suck at videogames. While they are fine to listen for better sometimes the footage they release is just bad.

This doesn't really sound like a 'game is too hard' kind of thing, more of a "the game is full of a bunch of unnecessary bullshit that gets in the way of enjoying the experience" kind of thing.

Which is something we already DO see in the gameplay footage we have now.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Not to single you out, but I've seen this sentiment quite a lot now regarding this game. Personally I don't know where I stand with this game. I was never a big fan of the MG series. I tried playing 4 and 5 and just couldn't get into it. I love how insane everyone says his stories are but nothing about the gameplay of those games impressed me.

I thought Kojimo finally loose from MG would be insane but everything I've seen about this game has put me off. I'm glad he's able to do weird things and experiments with games, but it This game doesn't resonate with a lot of people , are we simply going to give him a pass because of his legacy and chop it to being a unique game that's art or is Kojimo gonna get called out on his bull shit?

A part of me wants to play this but another part knows I won't like it so why waste my time. It'll be interesting to see where reviews and gamers fall on this after its initial release.
If the game turns out as bad as I'm thinking it will, they definitely should call him out, regardless of his legacy. It doesn't mean we shun him forever or anything, but his legacy is no excuse for a bad game.

This is all of course assuming it does turn out bad, there is a chance I am very wrong and it turns out fine or even better.

Just watching the game-play demos, and all Im thinking is 'what the fuck am I watching?'
Would love to be pleasantly surprised and completely wrong about all this.

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really sound like a 'game is too hard' kind of thing, more of a "the game is full of a bunch of unnecessary bullshit that gets in the way of enjoying the experience" kind of thing.

Which is something we already DO see in the gameplay footage we have now.

No we don't. RDR2 had unnecessary simulation aspects because they were superficial. We don't know if DS has unnecessary bullshit because it could be well ingrained and a required part of the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No we don't. RDR2 had unnecessary simulation aspects because they were superficial. We don't know if DS has unnecessary bullshit because it could be well ingrained and a required part of the game.

There is nothing fun about being REQUIRED to constantly balance your shit while walking around so you don't drop everything and have to pick it up piece by piece by piece. Or your shoes rotting when you run, forcing you to have to carry extra pairs of shoes around (thus forcing you to have shit you need to balance) because you constantly take damage while walking around without shoes on.

That's the bullshit I'm talking about. Stuff that gets in the way of just enjoying yourself playing the game.

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing fun about being REQUIRED to constantly balance your shit while walking around so you don't drop everything and have to pick it up piece by piece by piece. Or your shoes rotting when you run, forcing you to have to carry extra pairs of shoes around (thus forcing you to have shit you need to balance) because you constantly take damage while walking around without shoes on.

That's the bullshit I'm talking about. Stuff that gets in the way of just enjoying yourself playing the game.
Death Stranding |OT| The thinking man's QWOP

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

For you.

Oct 25, 2017

Did you play the game?

You can't write off the gameplay systems of a game just because you watched a video.

That's like me watching a FPS game and saying, "there's nothing fun about shooting guns."

It's trite bullshit.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm already passed the part in Beastcast where they talk about Death Stranding and y'all are extrapolating a lot more from what they said than I did. I in no way got the impression that they hated it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Did you play the game?

You can't write off the gameplay systems of a game just because you watched a video.

That's like me watching a FPS game and saying, "there's nothing fun about shoot guns."

It's trite bullshit.

I don't need to play a game to find that kind of shit the antithesis of entertaining. I wanted Kojima's next game to be an expansion of the freeform nature MGSV provided, not stupid rules on top of stupid rules on top of stupid rules that only exist to make things frustrating.

Interconnecting systems are cool. Forceful restrictions that force you to do dumb shit constantly are not.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
If the game turns out as bad as I'm thinking it will, they definitely should call him out, regardless of his legacy. It doesn't mean we shun him forever or anything, but his legacy is no excuse for a bad game.

This is all of course assuming it does turn out bad, there is a chance I am very wrong and it turns out fine or even better.

Just watching the game-play demos, and all Im thinking is 'what the fuck am I watching?'
Would love to be pleasantly surprised and completely wrong about all this.

Same here, it's funny though; I have a friend who barely plays games and when he saw the trailer he went out and reserved this. Mind you he's never played Metal Gear, he just thinks this game looks cool. So I guess there is something appealing about it to a lot of people.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Same here, it's funny though; I have a friend who barely plays games and when he saw the trailer he went out and reserved this. Mind you he's never played Metal Gear, he just thinks this game looks cool. So I guess there is something appealing about it to a lot of people.

There's a ton of weird looking sci fi stuff. That appeals to way more people than you'd think lol

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
I'm already passed the part in Beastcast where they talk about Death Stranding and y'all are extrapolating a lot more from what they said than I did. I in no way got the impression that they hated it.

No where In the podcast did they speak about the game openly since it's under embargo. But it was very easy to see where a few of them stand. Again, Dan whose the huge Kojimo fan brought back his comment about Red Dead Redemption 2 which hes on record for not liking.

The connection didn't imply he doesn't like Death Stranding, only that he went back on some of his Red Dead comments probably because of Death Stranding. In the Beastcast he clearly says he understands Rockstar was going for something unique in RDR2 and he may have over reacted a bit to the games gameplay. He said this right as they spoke about Death Stranding. So the connection was probably some of the things he hated about RDR2 are present in Death Stranding but he understands it's because the game is trying to do something new.

The Beastcast crew made sure not to directly speak about Death Stranding though since it still is under embargo.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I don't need to play a game to find that kind of shit the antithesis of entertaining. I wanted Kojima's next game to be an expansion of the freeform nature MGSV provided, not stupid rules on top of stupid rules on top of stupid rules that only exist to make things frustrating.

Interconnecting systems are cool. Forceful restrictions that force you to do dumb shit constantly are not.
I agree with you that´s not what I want
but I totally can see people having fun with DS bullshit rule in top of rules
It just not for everybody

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, you kind of do need to play the game to determine if this mechanics are fun or not. How utterly absurd. He's not asking the player to constantly be managing every step Sam takes, he's asking the player to put some thought into the initial load out a player picks before departing and the specific subsytems kick in as you traverse depending on what you've chosen.

That's not restrictions. That's player freedom and consequence based on choice.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

After 25 years making metal gear, it's understandable if Kojima want to make something totally different. I trust Kojima that whatever he make, it will be fun on some level. Kojima playtest his games a lot and have really high standard of what he consider acceptable.

I'm genuinely curious though if the fun he's aiming for in Death Stranding will resonate to a lot of people since it seems like a very different kind of reward from mgs games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you kind of do need to play the game to determine if this mechanics are fun or not. How utterly absurd. He's not asking the player to constantly be managing every step Sam takes, he's asking the player to put some thought into the initial load out a player picks before departing and the specific subsytems kick in as you traverse depending on what you've chosen.

That's not restrictions. That's player freedom and consequence based on choice.

I have not, in ANY OF THE FOOTAGE Kojima has shown so far, seen the game get out of the player's way. Not once.

Every single bit of footage we've shown has been the player being waylaid by excessive subsystems that only serve to impede anything and everything you do. You pick something up in the game world? Well, now you're slowed down and can't run as fast. Oops, you happened to take a hit from an enemy? Too bad, the shit on your back falls off and you have to pick it up piece by piece or you lose it. What's that, you walked up a slightly-too-steep hill? You fall down and all your shit falls off your back - better hope nothing important to your mission lands too far away!

There's a difference between "pick your loadout wisely" and what we've seen in footage. Right now, all I've seen in footage is the game screwing the player over for attempting to do anything.

There has yet to be a single showcase of "just pure fun" gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
I have not, in ANY OF THE FOOTAGE Kojima has shown so far, seen the game get out of the player's way. Not once.

Every single bit of footage we've shown has been the player being waylaid by excessive subsystems that only serve to impede anything and everything you do. You pick something up in the game world? Well, now you're slowed down and can't run as fast. Oops, you happened to take a hit from an enemy? Too bad, the shit on your back falls off and you have to pick it up piece by piece or you lose it. What's that, you walked up a slightly-too-steep hill? You fall down and all your shit falls off your back - better hope nothing important to your mission lands too far away!

There's a difference between "pick your loadout wisely" and what we've seen in footage. Right now, all I've seen in footage is the game screwing the player over for attempting to do anything.

Have you noticed how in all the footage the loadput is always an overburdened Sam? Have you noticed that you don't need all the cargo to actually complete missions?

That's the choice vs restrictions in effect. Overburdened leads to more subsystems kicking in, but not if you go lightweight.

You are just drawing extreme assumptions based off one particular playstyle and acting as if it's the only one when all the subsystems give the player a choice between a variety.

Half your complaints sound like the typical whining of "why can't I carry everything and do everything without any pushback from the game."

It's absurd that you think that you can judge the intricacies and fun of these systems without seeing how it all works. And by absurd, I mean utterly laughable.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Have you noticed how in all the footage the loadput is always an overburdened Sam? Have you noticed that you don't need all the cargo to actually complete missions?

That's the choice vs restrictions in effect. Overburdened leads to more subsystems kicking in, but not if you go lightweight.

You are just drawing extreme assumptions based off one particular playstyle and acting as if it's the only one when all the subsystems give the player a choice between a variety.

Half your complaints sound like the typical whining of "why can't I carry everything and do everything without any pushback from the game."

It's absurd that you think that you can judge the intricacies and fun of these systems without seeing how it all works. And by absurd, I mean utterly laughable.

Going lightweight likely seems to punish the player by having less weapons, less gear and less tools to work with. So you're either unable to do anything because you have too much stuff or unable to do anything because you have too little stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Going lightweight likely seems to punish the player by having less weapons, less gear and less tools to work with. So you're either unable to do anything because you have too much stuff or unable to do anything because you have too little stuff.

Or...

You map out your journey, pick appropriate tools and play that way.

It was completely possible to go extremely light weight in MGSV and feel incredibly rewarded. There's no reason to assume the opposite for this game until shown otherwise.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao this game will probably have more agency than MGSV and any other thing Kojima has ever done (or any AAA game in the past year or two), I have no idea how we could've gotten such opposite impressions out of that gameplay demo 😂

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019

For me MGS3 was the greatest game Kojima has made and it seems like the systems implemented in DS are a more in-depth extension of those found in that game. That's exactly the type of game I want.

Oct 25, 2017
Or...

You map out your journey, pick appropriate tools and play that way.

It was completely possible to go extremely light weight in MGSV and feel incredibly rewarded. There's no reason to assume the opposite for this game until shown otherwise.

The subsistence levels in MGSV are some of my favourites

Made me feel real smart solving them with no starting equipment

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017

You mean you don't like encumbrance systems in other games?? Death Stranding is about to take them to the next level! Encumbrance -- the game! It's kind of like balancing yourself in Tony Hawk, but you know, annoying instead of fun. Brilliant, I tell you, just brilliant!

Last edited:

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean you don't like encumbrance systems in other games?? Death Stranding is about to take them to the next level! Encumbrance -- the game! It's kind of like balancing yourself in Tony Hawk, but you, annoying instead of fun. Brilliant, I tell you, just brilliant!
I've always wanted a game to simulate the difficulty of walking. Thank you based Kojima

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
For me MGS3 was the greatest game Kojima has made and it seems like the systems implemented in DS are a more in-depth extension of those found in that game. That's exactly the type of game I want.

I'm not a big fan of MGS3. In general, I find games that get in my way instead of letting me enjoy myself fucking around with the mechanics always end up souring on me.

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
Not that I think much either way of what he said on the show, but did you listen to the whole thing? Cause they return to that subject multiple times during the course of the show.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
I'm not a big fan of MGS3. In general, I find games that get in my way instead of letting me enjoy myself fucking around with the mechanics always end up souring on me.
Ah fair play then. Different tastes I guess. I'm honestly more of a fan of "rules", games like GTA that just like you fuck around in limitless ways don't appeal to me that much. Which is why in terms of Rockstar games it's been their tighter games like RDR 1 and 2, Bully and LA Noire (suppose that's Team Bondi though) that have appealed to me far, far more than GTA.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah fair play then. Different tastes I guess. I'm honestly more of a fan of "rules", games like GTA that just like you fuck around in limitless ways don't appeal to me that much. Which is why in terms of Rockstar games it's been their tighter games like RDR 1 and 2, Bully and LA Noire (suppose that's Team Bondi though) that have appealed to me far, far more than GTA.

Yeah. I'm more of like an OG Crackdown/MGSV/Just Cause 2 kind of player when it comes to action games. If I have to suffer a boring, empty open world, let me have fun in it, please.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Weird how people keep saying "it's not for everybody" like that's some revelation. The same can be said for all kinda of games.

Racing games aren't for everybody.
Sports games aren't for everybody.
RPG / MMO games aren't for everybody.
Battle Royale games aren't for everybody and the list goes on

Why is this being singled out because people want to sound so ahead of the curve thinking they're saying something original?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

None of this bothers me, the important thing for me is that the game has good controls and is good to play, has a story and interesting characters,do you know what I find boring to death? JRPG, I could write all the problems these games have to me, but I know a lot of people like them and I don't have to go through all the threads about a JRPG and say why I think these games seems boring.Different tastes.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Very easy mode exists for a reason. Kojima made that mode for people who has never played a game before. You probably won't need to micromanage anything in that setting.

Go wild and do whatever you want with no consequence in that mode.

Regarding the Giant Bomb situation
OP
OP
Lannisters1798
Apr 27, 2018
I wake up to people discussing about the Giant Bomb discussion. Who cares what Dan thinks. From what I heard, he hates realistic mechanics in games for some apparent reason. Was evident from the Metro gameplay from the other thread.

He is acting like a five year old child, who doesn't get what he wants. I wouldn't take his opinion as the gospel, even though the game isn't for everybody.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.