• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Shit. Listening this now i dunno if i should get the Standard Edition with Higgs on the cover or pay more 10$ for the steelbook that comes with the OST :P

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haters aside, there's not reason to assume that every game will be glowingly positive. Production quality is fairly high, yes. But it's also transparently divisive in its ambition. Kojima is clearly going for something somewhat hard to reconcile. For some that will definitely work. For some that will definitely not. Besides that, we have no idea how it will play and control. Something as stupid as a bad button layout could severely hamper scores. I've fallen into this trap of having sky-high expectations time and again. Preferred it when we weren't quite sure if God of War was going to be good or not. (And, as a point to the variability of taste, I very much liked Gears 5's campaign, but don't often play its MP.)

I played Gears 5 in co-op and even that couldn't detract from a lot of it's failings in the campaign, not awful for a Gears game, just not good compared to other titles, felt dated.

But you're right, I had far more reservations with God of War and then the reviews and game blew me away.

It'll be nice if DS does well, but keeping expectations in check for the critical consensus is probably wise.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Shame the Higgs cover isn't the steelbook.
Yes. I love the Higgs cover, and the store where i buy my games is selling that version. Now thinking if i should go for the steelbook for the OST or go for the Higgs standard version and save some cash.
I guess will keep listening to the OST and decide later :P

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
Music is such a huge parte of the "feeling" of a game. This music makes it very VERY hard that this game is anything but special.

Last edited:

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. Listening this now i dunno if i should get the Standard Edition with Higgs on the cover or pay more 10$ for the steelbook that comes with the OST :P

I don't think we are getting the OST included with the game. The music that comes with the game is described as "DEATH STRANDING: Timefall (Original Music from the World Of DEATH STRANDING) – Digital Music Album" which is the tracks we have been getting from bands of Kojima's choosing that are in the game.

I hope I am wrong on this and we do get a Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross style treatment for the OST.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The dynamic theme is a preorder bonus, right? So I assume I should get one with my various Best Buy orders?!

edit: appears to come with the CE preorder but not the console preorder lol

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
What happened earlier in this thread was incredibly embarassing. That journalist's concerns were completely legitimate, he posted cogently and in great detail and was calm in the face of some really juvenile mockery. Giving ups to alt right "journalist" hacks like YongYea as alternatives was just the cherry on top.

Jan 20, 2019
What happened earlier in this thread was incredibly embarassing. That journalist's concerns were completely legitimate, he posted cogently and in great detail and was calm in the face of some really juvenile mockery. Giving ups to alt right "journalist" hacks like YongYea as alternatives was just the cherry on top.

You need to read better then.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry to be off topic, but I've never seen YongYea to be alt-right. Unapologetic Kojima fanboy, yes.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Bullshit, he was acting like a manchild and deserved to be called out for, I'm not sure what this alt right talk has even to do with it.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Nah, would rather people experience this for themselves lol. I'm gonna tune out, I know this is gonna be greatness.

Also I said I wouldn't be back in this thread but I have no self-control ROFL. Jokes aside tho, I'm dark until reviews drop. Not gonna bother with the launch trailer and I don't wanna read your impressions haha. I'm out for realzies. Hope y'all enjoy tho! Peace.
Quoting you so you come back with them non spoiler impressions! 😭😭😭

I'm so hyped!!!

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We still don't know what the audio format and bitrate is for the digital version of Timefall is. Do we ?
Yes. I love the Higgs cover, and the store where i buy my games is selling that version. Now thinking if i should go for the steelbook for the OST or go for the Higgs standard version and save some cash.
I guess will keep listening to the OST and decide later :P
Sounds like a plan.
edit: appears to come with the CE preorder but not the console preorder lol
That's lame.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Dang it, I'm getting the DS PS4 Pro which just comes with the normal edition with terrible box art but I want that Higgs sleeve.

I mean I'm in America so I don't even know if the Higgs sleeve is available here, and I realize it's a stupid cardboard sleeve, but still.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dang it, I'm getting the DS PS4 Pro which just comes with the normal edition with terrible box art but I want that Higgs sleeve.

I mean I'm in America so I don't even know if the Higgs sleeve is available here, and I realize it's a stupid cardboard sleeve, but still.

I'm getting the Pro & Collectors edition and I still understand your pain.

It looks ace.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm getting the Pro & Collectors edition and I still understand your pain.

It looks ace.
The gap in quality between the vanilla box art and limited special box art has never been wider.

Maybe someone will hock their sleeve on Ebay for $20 or something. I'm probably crazy enough to pay that to make the game look a little better on my shelf.

Feb 4, 2018
I feel like I might be in the minority but I actually love the steelbook art, even more so than the Higgs art. I ended up pre-ordering the special edition for that reason and my mom was baffled lol. She was like why would you spend an extra $10 for a case???

it's a coLLEcTOR'S IteM, MOM

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018

Is YongYea alt-right? I get the occasional Youtube video recommendation but am glad I haven't bothered clicking then.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to be off topic, but I've never seen YongYea to be alt-right. Unapologetic Kojima fanboy, yes.
Is YongYea alt-right? I get the occasional Youtube video recommendation but am glad I haven't bothered clicking then.

YongYea caters to the toxic gaming community by sharing clickbait videos that stir up nonsense and spread misinformation. He's a popular gaming YTer in the alt-right community for "telling it like it is". He's a few shades off from The Quartering. Also, he defended PewDiePie when he got caught saying the N-word on livestream. YongYea said on his follow up video that "black people say the word all the time" and that it was OK.

After the release of MGSV, the dude was struggling to stay relevant, so he resorted to diving deep into shitty gaming commentary videos about whatever rumor or video pops up on the r/games reddit in the morning. The guy is a complete scumbag and tool. So fuck him.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
YongYea caters to the toxic gaming community by sharing clickbait videos that stir up nonsense and spread misinformation. He's a popular gaming YTer in the alt-right community for "telling it like it is". He's a few shades off from The Quartering. Also, he defended PewDiePie when he got caught saying the N-word on livestream. YongYea said on his follow up video that "black people say the word all the time" and that it was OK.

After the release of MGSV, the dude was struggling to stay relevant, so he resorted to diving deep into shitty gaming commentary videos about whatever rumor or video pops up on the r/games reddit in the morning. The guy is a complete scumbag and tool. So fuck him.
I feel like that happened really quickly with YongYea. Eventually he got so caught up with the audience he was gaining through it and need for attention that he just became worse and worse. I wonder if he's even aware of what he's turned into.

dancingcactus

Oct 28, 2017
Are us Canadians screwed in getting the Collector's Edition of the game? Seems EB is the only one carrying it and it's long sold out since May.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like I won't be tuning in to see his vids anytime soon.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Aye, this soundtrack is straight fire, transcendental and experimental, synths fucking rule; Ludvig Forssell is a legend, my boy got that Vangelis touch Clap Clap Clap

EDIT: Also, Sony sent me a heads up about the Timefall voucher. I wished it was a PS app like the old days

Last edited:

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Seeing him go down the rabbit hole was sad...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I AM READY AMIGOS! LET'S GO!! (Sadly I won't be able to play at launch because I have to wait for the console to be in Peru, but still WE IN THERE!)

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
finally got to watch that stream music. I only listened for few minutes but it sounds incredible.
It's crazy how little of the game's music we knew about until today....

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly I don't think his content is much different from Jim. I have not seen vids of him defending or promoting any kind of alt right propaganda, but I also haven't watched the Pew Die Pie coverage. I think The Quartering is vile shit. I would not put YongYea near it. I am disheartened to hear that his content might attract that group of people, but it doesn't make me one of them for watching it and all I ever see him get worked up about is upper management treating employees and customers like shit. I am not trying to change your mind on this subject or encourage anyone to give him clicks if concerned, I personally just don't think he's a bad person who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Quartering.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
You need to read better then.
lol
Bullshit, he was acting like a manchild and deserved to be called out for, I'm not sure what this alt right talk has even to do with it.
If post #8621 for example (not quoting him directly, don't want to drag him back into this) is "acting like a manchild" then we should all want to be manchildren. Bullshit is the furthest thing from it, so buzz off.

Thanks for the detailed explainer ezekial45. I watched some of his content on this game years back, but his heavy lean into gamergate territory during the Arenanet firings last year made it blatantly obvious who he really was. I wouldn't be surprised if he showed his true colors before that as well, but it was my first encounter because I only rarely watched stuff from him and never subscribed.

Status
Not open for further replies.