• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
screenshot_20191030-20tj0s.jpg

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are just wary of any theories in case the person presenting them knows more than they're letting on, or they happen to be very accurate.

Like I could give some theories after watching the trailer but i'm pretty sure I would be veering into spoiler territory.

It's a good theory though, I didn't even make that connection.
I swear to you. It only occurred to me when listening to Higgs in the trailer.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Not watching that trailer, but the OST is on loop until I have the game in my hands. I will ignore BB Theme, seems like an important part in the game that you want to experience for yourself.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the trailer again.

Just notice about Mads and his umbilical flunkies. There's five of them, including Mads.

And they always seem to be stalking Sam (and) or the others.

Last edited:

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Skill Up gave the props Nier Automata deserved on release, so ill take that as a 10/10 classic masterpiece

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
"I'll always be with you"

I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea, I'll always be with you

OM
edit: make us whole again? Is he using lines from metal gear on purpose to break our hearts?!?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Soundtrack is amazing. Everything about the game is incredible from an artistic point of view. Looking forward to the reviews on Friday.

Yeah I agree, this is one of the strengths of Kojima games, but I think this one is easy more beautiful looking even given the times, than any of his other games...Its stunning sci fi.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
Yup, he's in love with the game. Can't wait to see if the big boys like IGN gamespot Polygon and Eurogamer love it as much too. Woot, what's Edge gonna give it? I wonder if it's gameplay is strong enough for them...
Skill up is all about gameplay. He doesnt like very much last of us for example. I think we are safe in the gameplay area.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Skill up is all about gameplay. He doesnt like very much last of us for example. I think we are safe in the gameplay area.
If Kojima has nailed the story and gameplay on this...Man...might be giving ND a run for the money on GOTG. Oh and don't forget about the little gem called God of War. We got spoiled this gen, hope the trend continues!

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog is way too inconsistent with each project to make me even consider them for vaguely "Game of the Generation" stuff. I didn't like Uncharted 4 very much at all, but I am hopeful that The Last of Us 2 will be solid.

If we're talking the most satisfying, rewarding, and impressive titles for the PlayStation 4 line-up, then it's Bloodborne that takes the crown for me, with God of War following close behind. The former is just an absolute gem and one of my all time favourite games. The latter turned me from someone who thought the franchise was painfully mediocre to a huge fan.

With Death Stranding I'm expecting a lot of typical Kojima bunk that subjectively drags down my perception of the project, namely dialogue, performances, and characters. Don't get me wrong, I love Metal Gear Solid and its trademark style, but there's always this weird lost-in-translation kitschiness to a lot of the dialogue. Kojima often has no concept of subtlety and his titles sometimes descend into cringy melodramatic parodies of themselves. There's always really good ideas within, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired, even if I can still find fun in it. Metal Gear Solid 4 is absolutely atrocious with this kind of stuff, but the actual premise and exploration of a cyber dystopia are super cool. I've got friends who are deranged anime fans, and even they often laugh and have a hard time processing some of the extremely hammy dialogue in Metal Gear Solid.

So yeah. I'm expecting this to be a 'problem' with Death Stranding. I know I'll enjoy it irrespectively, but it's totally gonna have some dumb melodrama and really corny dialogue that takes itself way, way too seriously and is disconnected from organic delivery and natural flow of how people actually talk. But that's become part of the charm with Kojima's stuff, in a way. I can't pretend it's good, but I can say I enjoy it.

More than anything though I just want to be surprised with the gameplay, and said gameplay appropriately conveys its core themes and concepts through mechanics. I adore what I've seen, it looks totally original and different from what Kojima has become known for. It looks a bit off putting and not at all what you'd expect from "AAA SONY PUBLISHED TITLE FROM THE CREATOR OF WORLD FAMOUS GAME SERIES METAL GEAR SOLID", but that just makes me anticipate it all the more.

I can take the hammy dialogue and stretches of walking simulator, if I can walk away from the complete package as a whole feeling what I experienced was unique, surprising, and refreshing.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
So as someone who would like to avoid spoilers as much as possible, should I avoid the launch trailer? I'm very tempted

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So as someone who would like to avoid spoilers as much as possible, should I avoid the launch trailer? I'm very tempted

Yes, avoid, at all costs.

I regret watching it (though less and less since i'm never gonna remember it all come launch day) but many others said they regret watching it.

Avoid.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Their last 4 games were above 90 and 3 of them one GOTY, they are the oposit of inconsistent.

I'm not talking about critical or commercial consensus. I should have prefaced it as my own thoughts. I don't think Naughty Dog's output is as great as it's been critically and commercially received, for my own taste, and their projects are massively inconsistent in the parts I like and don't. THat's what I meant.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There isn't enough discussion on how inspiring the Launch Trailer was. Kojima is ambitious not only with the 'game' but with the 'message.' He's trying to say something, and it seems to be something wholesome. That juxtaposed alongside a beautiful sound-track made that trailer nothing but fire. We gamers owe it to anyone with that type of vision to play this game, even if it doesn't end up delivering - but i really hope it does and it sure does seem like it thus far.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Naughty Dog is way too inconsistent with each project to make me even consider them for vaguely "Game of the Generation" stuff. I didn't like Uncharted 4 very much at all, but I am hopeful that The Last of Us 2 will be solid.

If we're talking the most satisfying, rewarding, and impressive titles for the PlayStation 4 line-up, then it's Bloodborne that takes the crown for me, with God of War following close behind. The former is just an absolute gem and one of my all time favourite games. The latter turned me from someone who thought the franchise was painfully mediocre to a huge fan.

With Death Stranding I'm expecting a lot of typical Kojima bunk that subjectively drags down my perception of the project, namely dialogue, performances, and characters. Don't get me wrong, I love Metal Gear Solid and its trademark style, but there's always this weird lost-in-translation kitschiness to a lot of the dialogue. Kojima often has no concept of subtlety and his titles sometimes descend into cringy melodramatic parodies of themselves. There's always really good ideas within, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired, even if I can still find fun in it. Metal Gear Solid 4 is absolutely atrocious with this kind of stuff, but the actual premise and exploration of a cyber dystopia are super cool. I've got friends who are deranged anime fans, and even they often laugh and have a hard time processing some of the extremely hammy dialogue in Metal Gear Solid.

So yeah. I'm expecting this to be a 'problem' with Death Stranding. I know I'll enjoy it irrespectively, but it's totally gonna have some dumb melodrama and really corny dialogue that takes itself way, way too seriously and is disconnected from organic delivery and natural flow of how people actually talk. But that's become part of the charm with Kojima's stuff, in a way. I can't pretend it's good, but I can say I enjoy it.

More than anything though I just want to be surprised with the gameplay, and said gameplay appropriately conveys its core themes and concepts through mechanics. I adore what I've seen, it looks totally original and different from what Kojima has become known for. It looks a bit off putting and not at all what you'd expect from "AAA SONY PUBLISHED TITLE FROM THE CREATOR OF WORLD FAMOUS GAME SERIES METAL GEAR SOLID", but that just makes me anticipate it all the more.

I can take the hammy dialogue and stretches of walking simulator, if I can walk away from the complete package as a whole feeling what I experienced was unique, surprising, and refreshing.
I totally agree with your post, especially about MGS4. That part where Old Snake is coughing his lungs out during briefing, and is all but certain that the microwave mission is going to be his death - Lin Mei is doing cutesy anime ~UGUU~ things. I was completely turned off by then. I dont know what tf that was all about. But the LEGEND Solid Snake is going on a suicide mission, and this is what we're witnessing....come on.

However, I think Kojima matured with MGSV a little bit. It was still Hollywood camp in some places, especially the banter between Venom and Kazuhira Miller. I'm hopeful that with Death Stranding, and with luminaries like GDT and Mads involved, Kojima's hand was restrained and didn't go too batshit with the narrative like he did with MGS4.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree with your post, especially about MGS4. That part where Old Snake is coughing his lungs out during briefing, and is all but certain that the microwave mission is going to be his death - Lin Mei is doing cutesy anime ~UGUU~ things. I was completely turned off by then. I dont know what tf that was all about. But the LEGEND Solid Snake is going on a suicide mission, and this is what we're witnessing....come on.

However, I think Kojima matured with MGSV a little bit. It was still Hollywood camp in some places, especially the banter between Venom and Kazuhira Miller. I'm hopeful that with Death Stranding, and with luminaries like GDT and Mads involved, Kojima's hand was restrained and didn't go too batshit with the narrative like he did with MGS4.
I would just like to remind you that MGSV had Quiet and Bikini Zombies... and Paz and Skullface and Huey. Don't mistake the limitations of that game's structure/production for restraint.

Status
Not open for further replies.