• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I'm really kind of upset about this. I've been mixed about this game, but I didn't want to believe Kojima was this kind of person.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
it's not that he researched it or didn't. It's that, intentional or not, it comes off as extremely asexual-phobic and draws on many negative views and stereotypes.

OK. I honestly don't know enough about the subject to comment on that but I think it's a bit strange to say he's a particularly type of person because of this.

At worst he is misinformed. Also he likely didn't have that much input with the little bits of lore

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Look man, I compartmentalize a lot about a lot of public figures, and even my own family, but it is what it is. It's BAD. He put out something bad. That's as upsetting as if it were homophobic, racist, or anything else, and I don't like that this is now associated with him.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I don't really see where it links birth rates and sexual assaults/harassment?

It reads more like humanities growing lack of interest in physical contact leads to lower birthrates and less sexual related crimes. So it's good (less crime/issues) for humans and bad (lower birthrate, less people etc.). It reads more like a listing of things it affects not saying one has anything to do with the other. But maybe I'm misreading that part.

No offense intended, I just don't quite get that particular point you are listing - the others I pretty much get and can understand where you are coming from/what your issue with the content is.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this thread. It was much better than the one I was planning as that just devolved into angry yelling.

No but seriously this is like 10 wrong things all wrapped into one.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
This is unrelated but the whole "Birth Rates and a drop in Sexual Assault mean that interest in sex is waning," is just weird, and even if your point is true it really needs to be worded better.

However it is unrelated so I won't go much further from there.

Gotcha. Won't push any further into it as well as I don't want to derail the topic with unrelated info.

Starshaped

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
I think the Death Stranding one, while misinformed maybe, it's interesting. A lot of stories involving an extinction event just assumes everyone starts fucking like bunnies to repopulate. Oddly refreshing to take the opposite route. Either that or I'm an idiot.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Death Stranding yet but I was very impressed with the character treatment in Outer Worlds.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it comes across as him reacting to all the "Japanese youth no longer interested in sex" hysteria that Japan's going through, and talking out of his ass haha.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Death Stranding, the "sexless lifestyle" implies asexuality is a choice and also at the same time is painted as a deficiency by using the term incapable. It's weird and clunky and I can see why you have a number of issues like it. Playing TOW I'm definitely finding Parvati a warm comforting companion and happy to read the history of how she came together as a character.

Nov 23, 2017
Really hope that a character or Sam or really anything else you can find in DS says or points out how stupid that particular email/message is. But that's asking a lot of an AAA game meant for (well kind of) mainstream audiences.

DrM2theJ

Feb 13, 2018
I'm hesitant to just copy-paste tweets here, so I'll link what I've said on Twitter about this thing in Death Stranding:

Basically, I think it has a lot to do with ignorance about what asexuality actually is and a lot to do with Kojima's laymen understanding of what memes (as in, the scientific concept of memes as originally described by Dawkins) are. I also think it's an attempt to directly comment on the low birthrate issue in Japan specifically, and it shows a very low information, "Facebook uncle" (as Naomi puts it in that second thread) understanding of the causes of the low birth rate.

I mean, the definition of "asexual" as presented in Death Stranding is "incapable of feeling desire or attraction" which is completely inaccurate, as you describe. It's a scapegoat used in Japan to explain the low birth rate without addressing the many, many societal reasons the birth rate is so low there.

I think it also shows, however, a blending with the concept of memes. The idea that knowledge of the asexual identity has spread among the population is pretty explicit. But it fails to show an understanding that this knowledge only enables asexual people to better understand themselves—it does not, in itself, cause asexuality to "proliferate".

It's also putting the asexual label on voluntary celibacy which is just so ignorant. Asexual people have sex. Asexual people sometimes choose not to have sex. Asexual people experience all sorts of attraction. Asexual people can desire sex. Asexual people have children. Et cetera.

Whether Kojima himself wrote that, I don't know. But I think he either writes most of it or has strong editorial oversight. I'd love to see what it said in Japanese to better understand whether there's a localization issue as well. Regardless, it's in his game, the one with his name plastered all over it—I don't think it's a stretch to reason that this is representing some idea of his.

And yeah, I love his games generally, but I was just waiting for the "problematic" shoe to drop in DS given his history with Quiet and such. Didn't think it would be about Ace people though.

As for Pavarti, she's easily my favorite new character of 2019 and they did a great job representing us realistically with her.

(Also, thank you for explicitly explaining that we can be attracted to aesthetics.)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019
Didn't know that about The Outer Worlds. That's pretty cool. I'm not super interested in TOW, but this makes me a little more interested.

Didn't know that about Death Stranding, either. That's uh... not as cool. To put it minimally.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really disagree with anything you are saying OP. That being said, I ascribe these views to the ongoing crisis of population decline in Japan which is likely informing the point of view from which this little bit of backstory is derived.

I assume that the harmful stereotyping evident in the text is likely based on a specific cultural perspective.

And despite what you might presume to be some base level of research, this is probably just a story point that was conceived without any research, from the default perspective that anything which contributes to population loss is an overall bad thing, and the terminology was probably just looked up by someone who already had the bones of this story point in mind and just used those terms to give the appearance of a scholarly work. The fact that it is written to emulate the style of a piece of scholarly work should not give anyone the impression that ANY level of open minded research went in to this. I don't think they were being explicitly anti-asexual, but rather it just didn't occur to them to examine the subject thoroughly or objectively, because it was just window dressing to make it seem like the fictional in world character did so.

edit:

I'm hesitant to just copy-paste tweets here, so I'll link what I've said on Twitter about this thing in Death Stranding:

Basically, I think it has a lot to do with ignorance about what asexuality actually is and a lot to do with Kojima's laymen understanding of what memes (as in, the scientific concept of memes as originally described by Dawkins) are. I also think it's an attempt to directly comment on the low birthrate issue in Japan specifically, and it shows a very low information, "Facebook uncle" (as Naomi puts it in that second thread) understanding of the causes of the low birth rate.

I mean, the definition of "asexual" as presented in Death Stranding is "incapable of feeling desire or attraction" which is completely inaccurate, as you describe. It's a scapegoat used in Japan to explain the low birth rate without addressing the many, many societal reasons the birth rate is so low there.

I think it also shows, however, a blending with the concept of memes. The idea that knowledge of the asexual identity has spread among the population is pretty explicit. But it fails to show an understanding that this knowledge only enables asexual people to better understand themselves—it does not, in itself, cause asexuality to "proliferate".

It's also putting the asexual label on voluntary celibacy which is just so ignorant. Asexual people have sex. Asexual people sometimes choose not to have sex. Asexual people experience all sorts of attraction. Asexual people can desire sex. Asexual people have children. Et cetera.

Whether Kojima himself wrote that, I don't know. But I think he either writes most of it or has strong editorial oversight. I'd love to see what it said in Japanese to better understand whether there's a localization issue as well. Regardless, it's in his game, the one with his name plastered all over it—I don't think it's a stretch to reason that this is representing some idea of his.

And yeah, I love his games generally, but I was just waiting for the "problematic" show to drop in DS given his history with Quiet and such. Didn't think it would be about Ace people though.

As for Pavarti, she's easily my favorite new character of 2019 and they did a great job representing us realistically with her.

(Also, thank you for explicitly explaining that we can be attracted to aesthetics.)

This right here.

I feel like Kojima likes to create the veneer of thoughtful research in his work, which is at least more than a lot of other creators bother with, but his understanding is mostly just pop science headline stuff and not much more thoughtful than that.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it comes across as him reacting to all the "Japanese youth no longer interested in sex" hysteria that Japan's going through, and talking out of his ass haha.

Yeah it really feels like a "response" (if you want to call it that) to Japan's birth rate issues that doesn't make the leap from culture to culture properly in addition to being a shit take. Practically a Kojima trademark at this point.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
The definitions used for Asexuality in the death stranding interview are wrong, but would the other ideas in the article such as the implication that it isn't "helping" society after the death stranding be attributed to the real life writer or the in-game character who gave the interview with their world-view?

EDIT: the latter informs the former of course so if the real life writer believes it, that's problematic but I also wonder when it's just characters being written with problematic views based on the in-universe perspectives

EDIT #2: I suppose when that happens in-game, it's important to have other characters react negatively to other problematic characters which hasn't happened yet in my playthrough of death stranding, which isn't great huh

Last edited:

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
OPs write-up was very informative for me as someone who was not familiar with these nuances.

When I was playing Outer Worlds and reached that point in the story with Parvati, I thought her feelings on physical contact were genuine, relatable, and gave her character more depth. Since she didn't explicitly state that she was asexual, it didn't even dawn on me that she was, I just thought she was someone not so interested in sexual contact.

Which is exactly OPs point - that aces aren't that different from anyone else. I liked that they didn't use the label but accurately described these feelings. Also that Parvati mentions it like any other character trait and not like it's some sort of flaw.

EDIT: phrasing

Last edited:

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima is like one of those first year college students who takes a semester of psych and thinks they're an expert. Add in some screaming misogyny and a surface level "understanding" of social issues and marginalized groups and you get shit like this. It's no surprise.

Real happy to hear about Parvati, though, I had no idea stuff like that was represented in The Outer Worlds. Hope it can become more standard, especially in RPGs like that where a large part of the game is playing who you are/want to be.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it really feels like a "response" (if you want to call it that) to Japan's birth rate issues that doesn't make the leap from culture to culture properly in addition to being a shit take. Practically a Kojima trademark at this point.

That's pretty much what it is. The whole "disconnected isolated youth" thing has been a hot topic in Japan for awhile now, and ties into the lowering birth rate thing in some ways (in Japan at least), so he's just sloppily trying to find dots to connect.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Its almost like Kojima games have problematic views on sexuality (and women)

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really kind of upset about this. I've been mixed about this game, but I didn't want to believe Kojima was this kind of person.

I mean, wasn't it obvious?

giphy.gif

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I read that in the game and like, "yikes." I get what he's trying to do, but some as obsessive about details as Kojima should have researched this more. Just how do you get it that wrong?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I see what happened here. He tried to tie Japan's birth rate problems into all these different sexualities. I see how he got there, it's just...fucking garbage lol. Someone should've told him that.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You guys completely miss all the interviews which stated how collaborative Kojima was to work with?

The hate the man gets on this forum is so unfounded.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
There seems to be a lot of bullshit in death stranding. The more I find out about these details, others more spoilery, the more I am quite put off.

Just... what's the need? I'll probably pick the game up one day as I do want to see it all in context as a sum of it's parts. But a lot of it just seems needless.

You guys completely miss all the interviews which stated how collaborative Kojima was to work with?

Maybe before you jump it to every thread to stan the dude, take a read.

People in this thread have clearly said that Kojima cant be responsible for every detail in the game.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the death stranding bit definitely sucks. Ace/aro/demi/panromantic people aren't "reticent" to form emotional connections, they just experience attraction in different ways. Framing those orientations* as symptoms of the shitty state of the game's world is in super poor taste.

And I especially feel you on having a problem with the "self-identify" rhetoric. One of the worst feelings (at least in my experience) with being queer is feeling like people are only tolerating your identity so as not to upset you, as opposed to recognizing it as a legitimate part of who you are.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the Death Stranding journal entry yesterday, and the first thing that stood out to me was its included definition of demisexual and panromantic people. So clearly more research than none went into writing it.

I don't think I have much to add that you haven't covered. It's disappointing. And the relation to Japan's birth rate definitely gives it the air of "the queers are destroying the family which will lead to the end of civilization".

I'd be interested to see the rest of the entry, or others related to it. The last visible line about the author not having empirical data makes me hope the character who wrote this is incorrect in-universe.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I'm someone who's just putting himself into words. I think I can confidently say I'm asexual. At least, I'm in the grey ace area. I'm super interested in TOW now (though I was pretty much sold on it already!). I've always felt I wanted to explore how I personally felt by creating something (a game, a comic, a story, something) which featured a prominent ace character. Short of doing that, being able to enjoy such a well-crafted experience seems to be the second best scenario :)

Fuck Kojima.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Hideo Kojima is the director of Death Stranding , is he not? It is his vision, is it not? If you can praise him for his unique approach and very particular style of video games ,surely you can criticize fot the shit hes done and approved . Thats how it works

Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be a lot of bullshit in death stranding. The more I find out about these details, others more spoilery, the more I am quite put off.

Just... what's the need? I'll probably pick the game up one day as I do want to see it all in context as a sum of it's parts. But a lot of it just seems needless.

Maybe before you jump it to every thread to stan the dude, take a read.

People in this thread have clearly said that Kojima cant be responsible for every detail in the game.

Kojima is only responsible for the cool stuff. Anything questionable, must have been someone else. Can't blame the guy for directing the game and being the main creative force behind it!

/s, obviously.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima is only responsible for the cool stuff. Anything questionable, must have been someone else. Can't blame the guy for directing the game and being the main creative force behind it!

/s, obviously.
People really out here trying to say that the game director doesn't have to approve damn near everything that goes into the game.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hideo Kojima is the director of Death Stranding , is he not? It is his vision, is it not? If you can praise him for his unique approach and very particular style of video games ,surely you can criticize fot the shit hes done and approved . Thats how it works

Again. Not arguing that.