• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Noble of them for not waiting after launch to announce it, unlike some others that seem like they plan to sell two or three copies (ps5) if they can.

Last edited:

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Right? This isn't even the first Sony owned IP to go to PC this year so I don't understand the hang up on this.

Plain and simple: Sony owns Death Stranding. They funded, published, and helped develop the game with their own engine and tools and resources. It's as clear as that. It's not going anywhere except PlayStation systems and PC, Sony can make a Death Stranding mobile spin-off if they want, it's up to them. But this discussion is pointless. It's exactly like Journey and Flower, which Sony contracted Anapurna games to put on PC just like they are with 505 games to put DS on PC. And like the Quantic Dream games.

Sony decides what they want to do with their IPs. They have full control. Kojima probably requested to putting it on PC, but at the end of the day it's up to Sony. Sony has already commented on being open to put their games on PC if they make sense, smaller titles and online related games. Death Stranding being PS4\PC doesn't mean DS's sequel will be similar. Up to Sony.

Last edited:

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
This is good but also sucks. I either play the worst version (base PS4) now or wait 6+ months to play the best version but I want to play it as soon as possible and not get spoilt by anything.

I hate delayed ports designed to get people double dipping or because of exclusivity deals.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
that does not make any sense. there's no strategy here, the game is coming to PC cuz kojima wanted it to be on PC and that was part of their deal in order to get kojima to work for them.
if they want a sequel from kojima, they have to work out another deal which may or may not include a PC version.
I understand, but the original plans was Death Stranding on PC and Sony was ok with that, but since Sony owns the name they might "force" PC user to buy PS5 for DS2, I could be wrong of course and that's ok :)

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This is good but also sucks. I either play the worst version (base PS4) now or wait 6+ months to play the best version but I want to play it as soon as possible and not get spoilt by anything.

I hate delayed ports designed to get people double dipping or because of exclusivity deals.
They could have not said anything until a few months after release, but they oddly enough announced it before launch.

I'm not sure why, because this isn't really something I've seen Sony do before, but at least the double dipping is only for those who literally have personal reasons as to not wait until Summer 2020, knowing that they can. PS4 (base/pro) gamers can also wait an additional 6+ months to play a next-gen optimised version of the game that will probably compare favourably to the PC version. I don't see the issue personally.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand, but the original plans was Death Stranding on PC and Sony was ok with that, but since Sony owns the name they might "force" PC user to buy PS5 for DS2, I could be wrong of course and that's ok :)
there's two ways DS2 can be PS5-only:
1, sony does it without kojima, which is technically possible since they own the IP (not saying they will, cuz what would be the point without kojima)
2, kojima agrees to make the game exclusive to PS5 and doesn't ask for it to be on PC as well.

i'm not saying the sequel (if there is one) will release on PC, but it's definitely a tricky situation considering the rather unusual deal kojima was able to reach with sony.

my point in my first reply to you was that it's not really a strategy i've seen anywhere, where a first party would release a new 1st party IP on PC in addition to their own platform in order to get people to buy the sequel (which will come in, who knows, 4 or 5 years?) exclusively on their platform. the platform holder would prefer both the first and second game to be exclusive. this PC release is part of the conditions kojima has asked for, not a strategy made by sony.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
1, sony does it without kojima, which is technically possible since they own the IP (not saying they will, cuz what would be the point without kojima)
2, kojima agrees to make the game exclusive to PS5 and doesn't ask for it to be on PC as well.

i'm not saying the sequel (if there is one) will release on PC, but it's definitely a tricky situation considering the rather unusual deal kojima was able to reach with sony.

my point in my first reply to you was that it's not really a strategy i've seen anywhere, where a first party would release a new 1st party IP on PC in addition to their own platform in order to get people to buy the sequel (which will come in, who knows, 4 or 5 years?) exclusively on their platform. the platform holder would prefer both the first and second game to be exclusive. this PC release is part of the conditions kojima has asked for, not a strategy made by sony.
I get it, lol.
I think the deal was only DS1 is gonna be on PC, and Kojima was ok with it. At the end only Sony and Kojima knows the deal :)

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAAAAAAAAAAAH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOI

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, several people here said they'll double dip anyway.

And some who want to wait for the PC version say if the reception is good enough they might pick up the PS4 version earlier as well.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Developers don't often choose when their publishers want to market their game
Do you think Hidoe Kojima, being probably the most well known individual auteur game developer, who could have worked with pretty much any major publisher, would have had a routine negotiation with Sony when agreeing their deal. Or might things have been somewhat different than other developers negotiating with a publisher?

Jun 4, 2018
You could tell, leading up to MGSV, that he greatly values PC. He wasn't going to give PC players a different experience than console players, but clearly, he wanted to maximize MGSV's performance and quality. The only reason this is surprising is because of the silence regarding the platform after that initial Q&A slip up. What tremendous news!

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Italian journalist that leaked Nov 8th as the release date before it was officially announced, also said this back in May of this year:

Antonio Fucito said in his stream:

"The PS4 cover didn't have the "Only on PS" label because DS it's coming to PC at a later date, that's the deal signed between Kojima and Sony, the game will be a timed PS4 exclusive and will be available on PC later on (won't be available on Xbox), i don't know if it's a 6 or 12 months exclusive"

As leaks should be treated as rumours untill confirmation, i think its pretty clear he knew the details of what was going on.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
This is kinda off topic but has any journalist pressed Sony or Square Enix on how long the exclusivity window for FF7 remake is. This is another game where the release schedule is so muddled and confusing.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure consumers appreciate it, but announcing another version 2 weeks away from launch is a dumb move marketing wise no matter how you look at it, there is no way you can argue this will lead to anything other than some decrease in launch sales.

Decrease in launch sales of the PS4 sure, but that's likely worth the increase in launch sales they'll gain on the PC. Honestly who cares how much it sells on any one platform anyways? All we should care about is that it sells well overall and it will sell even better now, which is something we should all be happy about.

It's a net win in the end and that's a smart business move.

in a vaccum it maybe. But they could have been transparent about the PC version from the start. So could Rockstar with RDR2, but they announced it way after the game released. Announcing this two weeks before release, rather than much earlier is very strange. Like, why?

More transparency is surely a good thing. I doubt that announcing this late was done maliciously though. It could have been due to a number of reasons. Maybe it took this long for Sony and 505 to finalize whatever deal they were cooking up. Maybe the bean counters at Sony were evaluating the negative impact to an early announcement. Who knows really. At least they didn't wait until after launch like Rockstar with RDR2 =p

MrBungle26

Feb 20, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Think I might just have to wait for the pc version then and avoid all spoilers lol. I have a Ps4 Pro, but I also have a monster pc. So excited so see the horizon engine on pc. Can't wait!

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Because tricking your customers into double-dipping isn't just a piece-of-shit move, it's also commercially bad as it breaks trust. And aside from potential double-dippers, the number of people affected by this will be very small indeed.

Also... what if there was some legal reason behind?

Like, they wrote "Only on PlayStation" somewhere and announcing another versione AFTER the game goes on sale on PS4 would make Sony targetable for false advertising or such?

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth

I've got the idea that Death Stranding is some kind of test case for Kojima and Sony.

Like "Ok, show us that you are able to develop a good game by yourself and we'll add Kojima Productions to out 1st party teams".

Let's see...

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I've got the idea that Death Stranding is some kind of test case for Kojima and Sony.

Like "Ok, show us that you are able to develop a good game by yourself and we'll add Kojima Productions to out 1st party teams".

Let's see...
I see what you mean, but wasn't developed by Kojima Productions alone. Sony assisted in fast-tracking the progress of the project and their teams shared and provided tons of resources between the performance capture work with VASG and deep collaboration on the progress of the Decima engine with Guerrilla.

Jan 20, 2019

Sony will not do DS2 without kojima, they already prove that with Bloodborne.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This basically assures PC gamers that most exclusives will come over to the PC and look better/play faster. With the exception of the small amount of companies tied to Sony, PC gamers will get enhanced versions of most exclusives.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please make a mod where a giant creepy baby runs around with a fetus sized Norman Redus in a pod PC peeps.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Great news for PC gamers.

But I'm sticking with PS4, as big Kojima fan and all the intriguing pre-release material, I have to experience this game on day1.

Reviews will be up in a few days. If they are great, I think that PS4 sales will not be affected much.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You could tell, leading up to MGSV, that he greatly values PC. He wasn't going to give PC players a different experience than console players, but clearly, he wanted to maximize MGSV's performance and quality. The only reason this is surprising is because of the silence regarding the platform after that initial Q&A slip up. What tremendous news!

That reveal trailer for MGSV and GZ coming to Steam was wonderful. It was pretty obvious he was happy to finally have a new game of his on modern PC hardware. A large portion of the PC market is fairly removed from the consoles, so I'm sure he sees the worth in releasing there.

Niaboc

Nov 2, 2017
i have a gaming pc so no point having a ps4. now I get to play it on a platform that doesn't have a jet engine for a cooling system.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But armchair developers told me that the Decima engine can't run on PC. 😱 /s

Looking forward to the hilarious mods, the model swaps in MGSV were so good:
Vw985Oj.gif