• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Decima

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been contemplating not making this thread because Death Stranding is supposed to be an action game rather than horror. However, given the many strange coincidences regarding this title and p.t I figure at the very least it warrants some speculation. If you have other crazy theories then this is the place to discuss. Here are some of the more known connections:
Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying the Kojima/Konami situation was a big ruse but rather that Death Stranding might be a horror game and a continuation to whatever Silent Hills/PT was supposed to be. Remember:
teasertmk8z.jpg

Hand prints are present ever since the conceptual Silent Hills teaser
handsfxupq.png

hands2uku75.jpg

A hallway loop in pt mentions umbilical cords which can also be seen in both DS trailers.

Silent Hills/PT was always a Sony exclusive and supported. Screenshots taken from the datamine

2c7uoq.jpg

1kzuwt.jpg

The Low Roar single "Give me an answer" which brings Death Stranding to life also seems to have some connections to Silent Hills.
vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1829j2f.png

p_t__20170729002458qykq5.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-179dksy.png

p_t__20170901131633prj3k.png

Remember the hallway loop that starts glitching just before the game crashes? Something similar happens in the music video...
vlcsnap-2017-08-26-18oxklx.png

p_t__20171028225519erk93.png

Recently pythonselkan covered Katina's latest song called "Silent Hills" Strange enough the fonts seem to perfectly line up, why? Which leads to believe that the red "X" moving to the right eye is symbolizing Lisa from pt.
logox6j10.png

nirvanaedit1yjdd.png

62-lena-katina-nirvaniejua.png

The youtube page the video was uploaded to has been liking a bunch of comments about Kojima and Silent Hills.
silenthillstpkqz.jpg

Minor details:
Mad's and the soldiers slowly flash red just like one of the hallway loops

Kojima twitter using a hallway as a game creation example.

An unused radio broadcast in pt mentions: "Your son! Send him on his way to heaven, by your own hand. It's not too late - if you act fast". The babies in the first and second DS trailers are male.

B/W Bridges web picture and PT insignia
db5x2qixkaikkq4mjuya.jpg

Could Death Stranding actually be a horror game in disguise? What the heck is this game...

Last edited:

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
yeah sure I'm subbed to this as long as we don't end up calling a random hospital in the middle of nowhere again.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know.. After Moby Dick Studios and Joakim Mogren and all that jazz that went absolutely nowhere I wouldn't put it past Koijima to create some huge plot, but this might be too complex even for him to pull off.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
The real conspiracy is that whatever Kojima does, the meta narratives will always weave events to play into some grandiose plot that no one saw coming.

He was the genius that we thought a fool: Now we are the fools!

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahaha OMG, what happened?

Where were you guys for when palculator and I jokingly posted about medical records from a book after 2 people jokingly referenced a head transplant surgery and then about a dozen people took it seriously and stalked the hell out of a medical professional thinking his head transplant procedure was all a lie for the kojima memes?

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I've been contemplating not making this thread because Death Stranding is not supposed to be an action game rather than horror. However, given the many strange coincidences regarding this title and p.t I figure at the very least it warrants some speculation. If you have other crazy theories then this is the place to discuss. Here are some of the more known connections:

Hand prints are present ever since the conceptual Silent Hills teaser
handsfxupq.png

hands2uku75.jpg

A hallway loop in pt mentions umbilical cords which can also be seen in both DS trailers.

Silent Hills/PT was always a Sony exclusive and supported. Screenshots taken from the datamine

2c7uoq.jpg

1kzuwt.jpg

The Low Roar single "Give me an answer" which brings Death Stranding to life also seems to have some connections to Silent Hills.
vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1829j2f.png

p_t__20170729002458qykq5.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-179dksy.png

p_t__20170901131633prj3k.png

Remember the hallway loop that starts glitching just before the game crashes? Something similar happens in the music video...
vlcsnap-2017-08-26-18oxklx.png

p_t__20171028225519erk93.png

Recently pythonselkan covered Katina's latest song called "Silent Hills" Strange enough the fonts seem to perfectly line up, why? Which leads to believe that the red "X" moving to the right eye is symbolizing Lisa from pt.
logox6j10.png

nirvanaedit1yjdd.png

62-lena-katina-nirvaniejua.png

The youtube page the video was uploaded to has been liking a bunch of comments about Kojima and Silent Hills.
silenthillstpkqz.jpg

Minor details:
Mad's and the soldiers slowly flash red just like one of the hallway loops

Kojima twitter using a hallway as a game creation example.

An unused radio broadcast in pt mentions: "Your son! Send him on his way to heaven, by your own hand. It's not too late - if you act fast". The babies in the first and second DS trailers are male.

B/W Bridges web picture and PT insignia
db5x2qixkaikkq4mjuya.jpg

Could Death Stranding actually be a horror game in disguise? What the heck is this game...
Is that you PythonSelkan??

Tensuke

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Kojima adapted ideas from PT/MGS for Death Stranding. Maybe he wanted to do a Boss/Cobra Unit game, so that's where the "Normandy"/Sorrow/Mads stuff comes from.
The "Give Me An Answer" music video was made with inspiration from DS, so any similarities to PT were probably just Easter Eggs.
The Silent Hills fonts are not really that similar between the game and the music video. I don't think the X has any relation.
The youtube page for the Silent Hills song is not affiliated with Lena Katina, it's a fan page.

All that being said, subscribing for more insane theories that inevitably get normal people involved.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, District 9 director Neil Blomkamp have some connection with Kojima and this game, something related with some things he's doing with his Oak Studios.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP but I have no idea what this thread is about.

I think it's speculation that Silent Hills never actually got canceled, but that Death Stranding is Silent Hills. Or maybe it did get canceled and Sony just picked it up. Since Kojima has a history of trolling his fanbase, nothing is too far outside the realm of possibility I guess. Lol

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Would be extremely unnerving if suddenly and without warning you'd found yourself back in that hallway again.

It's something I wouldn't put past Kojima doing.

Menthuss

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god the crazy Kojima conspiracy theories made it over to ResetEra. They're always hilarious.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima in intentionally dropping similarities to his past work, and using a lot of the ideas from Silent Hills, while meta textually tying them together unofficially since, y'know, they share the concept of alternate worlds and what not. Silent Hills being Death Stranding would mean that the whole Konami/Kojima fallout was a work, which isn't likely. Creatively speaking Kojima probably finds it cathartic to have found a way to 'keep' all of his work from Konami by incorporating nodes to his previous works within the context of the ideas that he seems to be exploring with Death Stranding. In that sense, it's possible that Death Stranding is Metal Gear is Silent Hills, is Snatcher etc.

But the idea that this is all one giant mutli-year public reuse that involves Konami taking huge financial risks etc with PR damage and so on, just is not likely at all.

Also consider that Kojima probably got Low Roar to make 'Silent Hills' to generate exactly this type of speculation and mind fuckery.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

please stop....i just can't... my heart....
I'd give anything for Silent hills to return...

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely likely that they're using a bunch of ideas from Silent Hills in the new game

As far as "lying about it being an action game", it's possible that they are trying to downplay horror bits until it actually comes out solely because of how insane Konami has been about the whole situation. If they straight up say "look we're actually just making Silent Hills" and Konami has proof that they're using ideas created while under their umbrella they're open for legal action

They were obviously inspired as all hell to make that game, and they have the budget from Sony

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima in intentionally dropping similarities to his past work, and using a lot of the ideas from Silent Hills, while meta textually tying them together unofficially since, y'know, they share the concept of alternate worlds and what not. Silent Hills being Death Stranding would mean that the whole Konami/Kojima fallout was a work, which isn't likely. Creatively speaking Kojima probably finds it cathartic to have found a way to 'keep' all of his work from Konami by incorporating nodes to his previous works within the context of the ideas that he seems to be exploring with Death Stranding. In that sense, it's possible that Death Stranding is Metal Gear is Silent Hills, is Snatcher etc.

But the idea that this is all one giant mutli-year public reuse that involves Konami taking huge financial risks etc with PR damage and so on, just is not likely at all.

I think you're probably right on most fronts here, but to play devil's advocate on your bolded point:

If Sony was indeed working on Silent Hills together with Konami, it's at least possible they could have struck a deal with Konami to use the IP and assume full development responsibility on the project. The fallout with Kojima/Konami couldn't possibly be a ruse. But there's still room for the DS -> Silent Hills theory to be true even if that's the case.

Is any of it likely? Definitely not. But is it possible? Sure, why the hell not?

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I'm taking everyone out for a ride, I promise it won't take long
It's such a silly disguise that you're hiding behind, but don't take it wrong
I know the time and the space that you need, it's blurry but I'll get on
It's getting hard to tell day from a day, just say it and I'll move on

Give me an answer
Give me an answer
Give me an answer
Give me an answer

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima's will to make people shit their pants never left. I wouldn't mind a horror game, but if P.T. was any indication of the type of horror game Kojima could produce, it's gonna be hard for me to get through.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
If true. It's kinda amazing that Sony who wants to sell PS4s and what not allows Kojima to fuck around like this, I love it!

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're probably right on most fronts here, but to play devil's advocate on your bolded point:

If Sony was indeed working on Silent Hills together with Konami, it's at least possible they could have struck a deal with Konami to use the IP and assume full development responsibility on the project. The fallout with Kojima/Konami couldn't possibly be a ruse. But there's still room for the DS -> Silent Hills theory to be true even if that's the case.

Is any of it likely? Definitely not. But is it possible? Sure, why the hell not?

Fair fair, It would not be too dissimilar to the deals that Sony has struct that got Street Fighter V made, etc.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Silent Hills was cancelled, the only thing made me sad was the magnificient work made by Junji Ito for the game was lost forever. When they announced DS, they talk about the collaboration with Del Toro, Mikkelsen, Reedus but no word about Ito.

Hope they will work with him in some way.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I've always thought Death Stranding was P.T in all but the name. I mean, you've got Norman Reedus as the main character, fetuses with umbilical cords being prominent in the story, and the atmosphere and scenes looking like it's straight out of Silent Hill. It might not be the same game, but Silent Hills is defiantly having parts in this game.