• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That is pretty damn cool..

Good on them for not only addressing it, but contextualising the issue.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Good on them. That's cool

I assume the old version will contain this also with the new update

DrM2theJ

Feb 13, 2018
I am happy to see this change made in the game. Directly calling out the old text as discriminatory is important. I loved a lot about Death Standing but as an asexual person, was very disappointed with that bit of "lore" and this does improve it imo.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Not to say it wasn't a terrible look originally, it's cool they fixed it in a way that made sense in the game world with someone calling out the statement direct. Kinda makes you think that if you can be inclusive if you want and it still doesnt fuck with narrative vision as people are often to use as an excuse.

Last edited:

ivalice

Banned
Sep 3, 2021
Very pleased they addressed this. I assumed it was a translation oversight at the time.

I hope it gets patched out of the original version too.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is a great change. I would have been fine with just removing it but the added review calling out the original and then giving some insight is really cool. I appreciate this.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
That's interesting. I kinda always assumed that was the context of the original text, what with these being framed as interviews from specific point of views.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Never knew about this, but it's great they addressed it and contextualized it within the game world.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That's interesting. I kinda always assumed that was the context of the original text, what with these being framed as interviews from specific point of views.
Same, especially considering that the original text even ends on "I have no empirical data and base my theory on assumption", which was an indicator for me that the text is intended to be read as a text written by a shoddy scientist, but it's still very good that this has been adressed to avoid misunterstandings.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's a pretty clever fix. Good stuff.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding always seems like something that's extremely not my jam, but good on them for doing something like this. Hopefully it inspires them to be a little more thoughtful when broaching these subjects in the future.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ace spectrum and I appreciate this. I actually have some complex feelings on the original piece because while it very much missed the mark overall, elements of it made me feel very seen in a way I hadn't been before in fiction. Keeping it in but adding a detailed addition to context is a good move (an in-world disclaimer no less!). Kojima has traditionally ignored these types of criticisms before so seeing this one addressed stands out and hopefully will inform future writing.

DrM2theJ

Feb 13, 2018
Just to be clear on the "it was a translation issue" thing, I addressed it in my Polygon article and as a fluent Japanese speaker, I do not agree it was a translation issue. I want to see if this update also made it into the Japanese version, I hope it did (because Japanese asexual people also felt it was not right).

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just to be clear on the "it was a translation issue" thing, I addressed it in my Polygon article and as a fluent Japanese speaker, I do not agree it was a translation issue. I want to see if this update also made it into the Japanese version, I hope it did (because Japanese asexual people also felt it was not right).
Sorry to bump (I've only just found out about the change) - anyone know if the change did make it in to the Japanese version?

Jun 24, 2021
Not gonna lie, this is very confusing to me. I'm not asexual and after reading the entire thing I'm not sure what was controversial? Someone smarter than me could probably educate me on this issue. And what was the change they made?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, this is very confusing to me. I'm not asexual and after reading the entire thing I'm not sure what was controversial? Someone smarter than me could probably educate me on this issue. And what was the change they made?
Yeah I don't really understand it either even after reading the old and new ones, would love an explanation too.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Someone can probably speak to it better than i can, but if I remember right the game originally was saying that because the world got all messed up and lots people got depressed and became asexual implying it was a bad thing, whereas actual asexuality is the same as any kind of sexuality and there's nothing wrong with it.