• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't buy it.

If that's coming then surely 1440p support would come with the same update too I guess.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Does the console/OS even support ultra wide?

Could this just be sticking big borders at the top and bottom, The Order 1886 style? lol

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unless a new firmware drops supporting more resolutions/aspect ratios, idk how they're gonna pull this off.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'm not sure they would advertise ultra wise support as a selling point, if it was just letterbox. So it is kinda wired, since PS5 up till now doesn't support such aspect ratio, or output for such resolution.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Hoping this means a 1440p support patch and other resolution support comes to PS5 in a firmware update soon

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
They almost certainly mean that there is an option to play the game letterboxed, rather than outputting an ultra-wide image.
I expect the best they could do would be the inclusion of an anamorphic ultra-wide mode, but I don't know of any displays which support that.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but its effectively an ultra wide resolution. Since PS5 doesn't support ultrawide output I'm really confused how they are supporting it.
Has to be a firmware update supporting a bunch of new resolutions. I'm not sure Kojima productions is inept enough to just make shit up like this or call letterboxing ultrawide.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Does PS5 even support Ultrawide displays? If not, I'd presume letterboxing.
I'm almost certain they do not support super ultra wide anyway

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Has to be a firmware update supporting a bunch of new resolutions. I'm not sure Kojima productions is inept enough to just make shit up like this or call letterboxing ultrawide.
I don't think it would be a case of being inept if its letter boxing. It would be similar to watching movies shot in cinemascope on your TV. Letterboxing just isn't an appealing marketable term.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The PS5 won't even output 1440p and now you're telling me it supports outputting ultrawide resolutions? Starting to think that it is just letterboxing.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but its effectively an ultra wide resolution. Since PS5 doesn't support ultrawide output I'm really confused how they are supporting it.

That isn't Ultrawide monitor support, per the OP suggestion
It's basically that The Order game situation again. Also letterbox isn't going to give a standard resolution. The resoluition is also going to be pretty odd. On a 16:9 4k display letter boxed I guess 3840 x 1634 is the maximum but it will render internally less probably
On an actual 21:9 display, since PS5 doesn't support them, you'd have to do like The Order, and use the monitors zoom/aspect ratio change function to get a full screen stretched image

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
it's totally just letterboxing, with the UI and FOV set up so that everything still runs and looks good. an 21:9 output for the console itself would be amazing, but i think thats in sony's court. this'll be sick, and playing this letterboxed on my big screen will probably look fuckin awesome.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Somehow i'm sure it will be letterboxed ultra-wide, and not be ultra-wide monitor support.
Unless there might be an "big" PS5 update on its way.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
There are literally N64 games with 16:9 support (Banjo Tooie, DK64, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye) and they still output a 4:3 signal. You can do ultrawide support without actually outputting an ultrawide resolution. You just expand the horizontal FoV in a way that looks squished in 16:9, but correct in 21:9.

Not saying the PS5 won't be updated with ultrawide output, just that it isn't necessary.

Banjo Tooie in normal 4:3 mode:
uVcilWe.png

If you enable 16:9 mode and don't set your TV (or in this case the emulator) to stretch the image to 16:9, it looks squished:

aSXYxrx.png

So you set your TV (in this case the emulator) to stretch the image to 16:9 and voilá, it looks correct:

Z6vvems.png

A 21:9 signal is not required in order to have 21:9 support in a game.

I'm too lazy to take these screenshots on my real N64 with my capture card, but trust me it's the same concept. You just set the TV to stretch and the image looks correct.

Last edited:

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
Gran Turismo 5 did let you play on multiple monitors if you had multiple PS3s and copies of the game. But this is a first for console games I think.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've changed the title to specify 'ultrawide support' rather than 'supporting ultrawide monitors' since there's no mention of the latter.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
There are literally N64 games with 16:9 support (Banjo Tooie, DK64, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye) and they still output a 4:3 signal. You can do ultrawide support without actually outputting an ultrawide resolution. You just expand the horizontal FoV in a way that looks squished in 16:9, but correct in 21:9.

Not saying the PS5 won't be updated with ultrawide output, just that it isn't necessary.

uVcilWe.png

If you enable 16:9 mode and don't set your TV (or in this case the emulator) to stretch the image to 16:9, it looks squished:

aSXYxrx.png

So you set your TV (in this case the emulator) to stretch the image to 16:9 and voilá, it looks correct:

Z6vvems.png

I'm too lazy to take these screenshots on my real N64 with my capture card, but trust me it's the same concept. You just set the TV to stretch and the image looks correct.

If that is their approach, I don't think it's going to look very good. You're essentially stretching a 1080p or 4k image across your ultrawide monitor, you're not adding in those extra pixels. Older games may have got away with that on CRT's, but I can imagine that looking pretty hideous on modern panels.

I have an ultrawide, and it caps out at 3440 X 1440. I can only get a 1080p signal from the PS5 because 1440p isn't supported by it. So I'd be stretching a 1080p image across the screen. Not good.

I'd say the letterboxing approach is most likely, unless Sony plan to support ultrawide outputs in a firmware update before this game launches.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
it's probably similar to what he did in the MGS HD collection, you can decide to have the full frame of the PS2 cutscenes to fit a 16:9 screen or have them still in letterbox and open up a wider frame like below

7Q5xEUF.jpg

8oM9fHQ.jpg

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
  • Letterboxing requires that you zoom and crop the image on an ultra-wide display - so the resolution might be something like 3840x1600.
  • Anamorphic support requires that you stretch the image out to fill the display - so the effective resolution would remain 3840x2160, which is 35% more resolution than letterboxing.
  • Ultra-wide support is a 1:1 output natively in the 21:9 aspect ratio; e.g. 5120x2160 - 80% more resolution than letterboxing.

uVcilWe.png

aSXYxrx.png

Z6vvems.png

That is anamorphic widescreen support.
In theory it should work, but in practice, I don't know of any ultra-wide monitors that have the option to stretch content like that.

Perfect Dark even supported ~26:9 with this method, but you lose a lot of resolution.
View this full-screen and watch what happens to the text:
perfect-dark-aspect-qld23.gif