• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Made it to chapter 6 on my PS4 play through during the pandemic. Been wrestling with wether to start over or not. I rushed through a lot of the early game to get through the story, but I think it would be better if I went back and revisited that and spent more time building the infrastructure and doing some of the side missions.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
I got through Chapter 4 when I stopped playing and waited for the PS5 version. Was going to try and transfer my save until I saw how much of a pain it was. Looks like I'm starting over today. Can't wait to dive back into this game, I was loving it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This first hour was one long ass cutscene…and I was captivated the entire time. What a weird game…I think I kinda love the atmosphere of it.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wide screen doesn't look right on my 55 inch TV, it'd probably look better on a bigger screen.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This first hour was one long ass cutscene…and I was captivated the entire time. What a weird game…I think I kinda love the atmosphere of it.
It gets better and better in this respect. Death Stranding is an insanely atmospheric game.

Made it to chapter 6 on my PS4 play through during the pandemic. Been wrestling with wether to start over or not. I rushed through a lot of the early game to get through the story, but I think it would be better if I went back and revisited that and spent more time building the infrastructure and doing some of the side missions.
Death Stranding is not a game to be rushed. I think you'd appreciate it a lot more if you took your time and built up the infrastructure like you said.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, thanks missed it. I wonder if it will sound good with my Sonos sound bar.
Yeah I've wondered this with the Tempest 3D audio as well, I also have a Sonos soundbar. My sense is you kind of require an actual surround set up or the Pulse headset to really notice it, but maybe I should fine-tune my audio using in the system menu and see what the effect is like.

Mar 17, 2019
Anyone know what of the grindier elements are transferred? Networks/relationships, gear, structures, player created storage?

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
If you've already beaten the game and just want to go back and do the post-game there isn't a TON of new stuff to do. Just some bits and bobs.

- Bike has a little cart on it - don't know if that was there before. It is faster than a truck.
- New gizmos in general.
- A single new 30 minute story mission (the one teased in the underground bunker)
- Catapoult is underwhelming.
- Can use floating carriers with ziplines now.
- A race track.
- Can tie down cargo with your bungie chord (strand)
- VR missions (these are kinda neat)
- Jumping melee moves:
- Regular speed running jump is a jumping knee.
- Sprinting jump has a body slam, and drop kick.
- These are hilarious with the speed skeleton.
- The promo stuff with Half-Life and Cyberpunk are in here. (including the odradek hacking stuff).
- MULEs have non-lethal/lethal turrets now.
- Theres a new weapon that you can use on them, still pretty much outclassed by the non-lethal assault rifle, and bola-gun.
- No new boss fights, nor are they revamped, though they are tougher on Very Hard.

That's BASICALLY it. There's not a whole ton of new mechanical gameplay additions. Melee is most the same with the addition of the jumping the attacks. Some QoL to how some gizmos work, some new gismos in the mix. The catapoult is literally useless if you've beaten the game. Though you can set it up to harass MULEs.

Speaking of harassing MULEs, they made it to where you have more tools to do that. Which if your playing on Normal or Hard, really makes no difference. Very Hard however does make them tougher to deal with - so the new tools can be pretty good there (still think Bola-Gun is the best thing for stealth personally)

The roadster is... pointless for the most part. It's just there for fun. Race tracks are meh (car handing still booty imo)

The biggest game changer is Wide-Screen, combined with Quality Mode, combined with the Haptics, combined with turning the on screen prompts off. Now you can focus more on the scenery and balance Sam tactilely instead of visually. Really does change how it plays. Combined with Very Hard it makes the experience MUCH more interesting and less mind-numbing like other difficulties were prone to becoming.

So booting it up for post game will add maybe another 10 to 15 hours to your playtime, while a new playthrough will probably net you a whole new experience!

Personally I hated the expo dumps, hand-holding, some of the inane at times juvenile dialogue... and the acting could come off weird. Loved Mads, didn't like a whole lot else. So I don't know if I can commit to a second playthrough so soon after my last. I probably need another year or two before I can do that personally.

Worth an upgrade if you wanna clean up post game though! At only $10 it can add some fun, and it looks great!

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
replaying this game last night validated this being one of my all-time favorites. something about it, and i can't describe it.

i imported my save and was just running around repairing the infrastructure. there's one road path that i didn't realize was possible. i'm gonna clean up my last 3 trophies for the plat and start a new game.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this was in the original game on PS4 or PC, but there's this cool ability where an excited BB (with max level connection and stamina) will be able to help you when you're in firefights with Terrorists (or other enemies with lethal firearms) by taking the command the Odradek and use to block incoming bullets. I don't think I'll be using that often, but it was really cool.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you've already beaten the game and just want to go back and do the post-game there isn't a TON of new stuff to do. Just some bits and bobs.

- Bike has a little cart on it - don't know if that was there before. It is faster than a truck.
- New gizmos in general.
- A single new 30 minute story mission (the one teased in the underground bunker)
- Catapoult is underwhelming.
- Can use floating carriers with ziplines now.
- A race track.
- Can tie down cargo with your bungie chord (strand)
- VR missions (these are kinda neat)
- Jumping melee moves:
- Regular speed running jump is a jumping knee.
- Sprinting jump has a body slam, and drop kick.
- These are hilarious with the speed skeleton.
- The promo stuff with Half-Life and Cyberpunk are in here. (including the odradek hacking stuff).
- MULEs have non-lethal/lethal turrets now.
- Theres a new weapon that you can use on them, still pretty much outclassed by the non-lethal assault rifle, and bola-gun.
- No new boss fights, nor are they revamped, though they are tougher on Very Hard.

That's BASICALLY it. There's not a whole ton of new mechanical gameplay additions. Melee is most the same with the addition of the jumping the attacks. Some QoL to how some gizmos work, some new gismos in the mix. The catapoult is literally useless if you've beaten the game. Though you can set it up to harass MULEs.

Speaking of harassing MULEs, they made it to where you have more tools to do that. Which if your playing on Normal or Hard, really makes no difference. Very Hard however does make them tougher to deal with - so the new tools can be pretty good there (still think Bola-Gun is the best thing for stealth personally)

The roadster is... pointless for the most part. It's just there for fun. Race tracks are meh (car handing still booty imo)

The biggest game changer is Wide-Screen, combined with Quality Mode, combined with the Haptics, combined with turning the on screen prompts off. Now you can focus more on the scenery and balance Sam tactilely instead of visually. Really does change how it plays. Combined with Very Hard it makes the experience MUCH more interesting and less mind-numbing like other difficulties were prone to becoming.

So booting it up for post game will add maybe another 10 to 15 hours to your playtime, while a new playthrough will probably net you a whole new experience!

Personally I hated the expo dumps, hand-holding, some of the inane at times juvenile dialogue... and the acting could come off weird. Loved Mads, didn't like a whole lot else. So I don't know if I can commit to a second playthrough so soon after my last. I probably need another year or two before I can do that personally.

Worth an upgrade if you wanna clean up post game though! At only $10 it can add some fun, and it looks great!

Thank you for writing this up, I been trying to see exactly what all the new stuff is for post game. Where is that new mission located pretty much what I wanted to do first.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There's enough new content here that I don't think I'll be restarting (I'm in the post-game).

The catapult is.. not all that good from what I can see (I've come across a few that other players have set up). It doesn't have much range, so it's not like you can launch something halfway across the map. I wonder if you can load human cargo into it? Oh, you want to go back to your boyfriend's place? Strap in...

There's a new road to build! It connects the Distribution Center on the east side of the map up to Mountain Knot. There's a couple sections already built in my world, but I'll definitely be finishing that up.

I've found a couple of "light bridges", I guess you'd call them? Smaller than the big bridges, probably don't require mutli-stage construction. I can't find them anywhere in my equipment, so I guess it's something I need to unlock with a few more side quests.

I did notice some of the new landscape changes. Not so much because they stood out, but because it shifted the position of some zip lines slightly, and I've got a couple that I can no longer use. There's one in particular near Heartman's lab that I set up on my more recent playthrough a few months ago, that I set up specifically to link to two nearby zip lines, and now it's got some obstructions blocking it. I'll probably need to go out on foot to move it. There's probably a few more in the mountain area I might need to move, so I guess I need to go visit everyone to make sure I can still get around. By "move", I mean disassemble it and build a new one in a different location.. it's a pity you can't break down structures back into usable PCCs.

So yeah, there's definitely enough here to keep me busy for a few more hours. More than enough to warrant the measly $10 upgrade cost.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Finally the OT! Literally waited for it and then I haven't seen it.

Started a new save and abandoned my old 60 hour save that was close to the end. I wanted to experience it all over again and so far it doesn't disappoint. The cutscenes, the music, everything is immediately so special and AAA+++ again, I immediately noticed how much I missed it.

Time get BB out of this again.

uMj5tHo.jpg

zXe

Apr 3, 2020
How do I get the £5 upgrade to PS5? I don't seeing in the store (uk). Do I have to have the game disc (PS4) in the PS5 console?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling Sam's "veins/ heatbeat" in the dual sense is fucking me up soooo bad

it's so creeeepppyyy

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving widescreen mode. Chapter 3 so far

The only way to play honestly.

Everything looks like photo mode during regular gameplay now.

6Se1dp7.png

KpiUYgu.png

ktT4gZQ.png

BUvfcja.png

GjIqqND.png

XBGZJ2z.png

XXULqGk.png

o8RXc0F.png

1MwrOIY.png

I love so much the fact the camera itself zooms out during gameplay from time to time.

And reminder, in widescreen mode, "quality mode" is locked at 60 fps !

Last edited:

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
I played Death Stranding on PS4 and thought it was a brilliant unique experience, unlike anything i've ever played before. Just a question on the upgrade path and the retail copy...buying a second hand copy of this and then upgrading would just be the same as buying the PS5 version but for half the cost? If so..why would anyone buy the PS5 version on disc?

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Still waiting on my copy, should arrive soon!
Quick question... is there a way to get the digital deluxe upgrade once I pop in the ps5 disc?

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
This game was such an amazing journey the first time around. Dare I take the journey once again?

Anyone know if there is a separate set of trophies when upgrading from PS4 to PS5 version? Assuming so, but just curious.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was an option to zoom out rather than just going for the wide screen option.

I really liked it when it did that when a song starts playing.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
for real ! I'm playing on performance, i'll switch for sure i still look gorgious.

For sure ! I told egg to include that in the FAQ but he didn't do it.

Widescreen ON + Quality mode = 60 fps lock + new FOV
Widescreen OFF + Performance mode = 60 fps lock + classic FOV

That's the optimal settings for stable performance.

I wish there was an option to zoom out rather than just going for the wide screen option.

I really liked it when it did that when a song starts playing.

It will keep doing that frequently, but I recommend using the widescreen option as well, it's been hard to go back since playing with it.

Jul 18, 2021
I played the first two hours and 60 fps is a game changer for me. Amazing.

But that shimmering in cut scenes. It's as bad as it has ever been. I think it's a Decima thing.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really digging the wide screen mode combined with Quality visuals. The increased FOV is just what the game needs. Combined with a rock solid 60FPS.
Also these haptics, man. Incredible.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was debating whether to replay this, liked it the first time for the most part but still feel kinda salty about...

finale being a two hour movie and walk on the beach up and down aimlessly lol

I feel like pacing really hurts it in places.

ivalice

Banned
Sep 3, 2021
I'm so pleased to be back in this world. Having a great time getting the the highway built again.

Pleased to see the Half-Life stuff is in this version! Do we know if the Cyberpunk additions are in?

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Received my review code today... Now I realize I have to install the PS4 version too,FFS I thought it was like Tsushima

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I'm so pleased to be back in this world. Having a great time getting the the highway built again.

Pleased to see the Half-Life stuff is in this version! Do we know if the Cyberpunk additions are in?

They are (at least I saw a review mentioning they were).

Widescreen shots above look amazing. Very tempted to play that way when I get my copy.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Count me as one of the people who bought the game but never got around to touching it. Will definitely check this out soon. Love any chance for new haptics experiences.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just started back. Hopefully can stick with it this time.

I poked around for graphics options, didn't see any on the main menu. Where do you set them?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so is there a new game plus or something in this game? Do I gain anything from importing my PS4 save even if I intend on starting over from the beginning?

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I'm so bummed I only have a 1440p high refresh HDR monitor to play this on at the moment. I need to play this in 4k. I wish PS5 supported 1440p output.