• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

PS4: 1080p 30FPS
PS4 Pro: 2160p 30FPS
PS5: 2160p 60FPS (Quality Mode) / 1800p 60FPS (Performance Mode) / 3840x1620p 60FPS (Ultrawide Quality Mode) / 3200x1350p 60FPS (Ultrawide Performance Mode)

- PC version runs at 2160p using DLSS with an RTX 3080.
- All modes on PS5 run at 60FPS. It seems that it uses some kind of temporal reconstruction, but I don't know if it is the same checkerboard used in PS4 Pro.
- The ultrawide mode is actually a 16:9 format applying letterbox and expanding the FOV. This has already been seen before in games like The Order 1886 or The Evil Within.
- Slight improvements to the texturing of some models on PS5, however, there does not appear to be any improvements to the textures of the environment.
- Loading times have been greatly improved on PS5 compared to PS4/PS4 Pro. PS5 takes less than 6 seconds to load the game or use fast travel (about a minute on PS4).
- PS5 has some changes in certain assets of the foliage and in its ambient occlusion.
- The draw distance is still slightly higher on PC, but on PS5 it has increased compared to PS4.

- Water quality has improved on PS5.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I just was able to get a ps5 from yesterday's Direct. How does the upgrade work? I never finished the game so would I just be starting over or can I pick up from where I was?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
60 FPS and load times are the biggest improvements here. Can't wait to jump back in.

So I just was able to get a ps5 from yesterday's Direct. How does the upgrade work? I never finished the game so would I just be starting over or can I pick up from where I was?
www.psu.com

Death Stranding Update 1.13 Adds PS4 To PS5 Save Transfers Ahead Of Director's Cut Release - PlayStation Universe

Death Stranding update 1.13 is here, and includes support for PS4 to PS5 save transfers for Death Stranding Director's Cut.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
unknown.png

unknown.png

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
You need to upload your save data by playing the PS4 version and uploading from inside the game. You will be able to continue on PS5 by downloading that save data.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Install the PS4 version on your PS5. There'll be an option to upgrade to the PS5 version from there ($10 USD). You'll also have to go into the PS4 version to upload transfer your save so you can continue on the PS5 version.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome that all modes are 60FPS. Can't wait to play.

If you load the original PS4 version, there's a way to upload your save data for use on the PS5 version. You have to do it that way though; the PS5 version won't just pull your PS4 save from PS+.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does Quality mode have any drops? If not, what's the purpose of the Performance mode?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What if you've got it in your PS5 library and you decide to install it. Do you get a prompt to upgrade?
You have to buy the upgrade from the Store. Then the PS5 version will be installable when you select the game in your library. (Also, the upgrade isn't available until the game is out.)

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So seemingly a fairly bare bones graphical upgrade but at least there's also some new content for the $10 upgrade.

Giving everyone access to the ultrawide mode is also a cool idea

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hooray for breaking embargoes, albeit slightly! :P

The quality mode has dips. Not frequent, but they're there - I've got a ton of capture analysed but you can see a little bit in our video review:

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Would you reccomend continuing from your PS4 save or just do a whole new playthrough. I want to experience all the new things but I was unsure if it was something added throughout the game for new players to discover or it was all end game stuff.

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Would you reccomend continuing from your PS4 save or just do a whole new playthrough. I want to experience all the new things but I was unsure if it was something added throughout the game for new players to discover or it was all end game stuff.

Some of the stuff is the previously PC exclusive stuff, and some of it will be a decent mid-game upgrade, for sure. I played a bit of the early game before loading my save in and stuck another bunch of hours into it picking up all the new goodies. Decent upgrade, IMHO

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
60 FPS and load times are the biggest improvements here. Can't wait to jump back in.

www.psu.com

Death Stranding Update 1.13 Adds PS4 To PS5 Save Transfers Ahead Of Director's Cut Release - PlayStation Universe

Death Stranding update 1.13 is here, and includes support for PS4 to PS5 save transfers for Death Stranding Director's Cut.

You need to upload your save data by playing the PS4 version and uploading from inside the game. You will be able to continue on PS5 by downloading that save data.

Install the PS4 version on your PS5. There'll be an option to upgrade to the PS5 version from there ($10 USD). You'll also have to go into the PS4 version to upload transfer your save so you can continue on the PS5 version.

Awesome that all modes are 60FPS. Can't wait to play.

If you load the original PS4 version, there's a way to upload your save data for use on the PS5 version. You have to do it that way though; the PS5 version won't just pull your PS4 save from PS+.

Thanks everyone, I dont have PS+ but I think I can do a save transfer between systems. I had these instructions when I searched yesterday...

Transfer data from a PS4 console or PS5 console to your PS5 console

You can transfer (copy) data from a PlayStation®4 console or another PlayStation®5 console to your PS5™ console.

I guess my other question is would I miss out on content if I dont start over?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Wow, I did not expect to get a 4K 60 quality mode and was already mentally at 1440p 60 max and maybe an 1800p 30fps mode.

Just had the game open yesterday and I couldn't believe how bad the 30fps mode felt there, and I'm normally totally fine with 30fps modes if they have a great motion blur solution, can't wait to play it in 60fps!

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
It looks so clean. All those weird shimmering around hair and objects are gone.

Wonder hows the dualsense implementation here

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
About new story content if you expected it
There's none until the end, I've replayed the game again from the start. Two new delivery missions after the credits can be considered story missions but you can just watch them on YouTube, they are 20 minutes long. Other new deliveries don't have a story and are only good for unlocking new stuff.

Muji

Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Some of the stuff is the previously PC exclusive stuff, and some of it will be a decent mid-game upgrade, for sure. I played a bit of the early game before loading my save in and stuck another bunch of hours into it picking up all the new goodies. Decent upgrade, IMHO
Nice. Thanks for the impressions.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Man, those load times. What an improvement. And beautiful 60fps.

You have to buy the upgrade from the Store. Then the PS5 version will be installable when you select the game in your library. (Also, the upgrade isn't available until the game is out.)

Oh, thanks. I've been going a little crazy trying to find the upgrade and could only get the purchase page for the PS5 version for full price. So it's not out until the PS5 version is out then, gotcha.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hmm. I was hoping that more work would be done to fix up the environment. Some of the areas, especially the early areas, look rough.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused about Quality vs. Performance modes.

Isn't Performance supposed to give you higher framerate through sacrificing visual settings?

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused about Quality vs. Performance modes.

Isn't Performance supposed to give you higher framerate through sacrificing visual settings?

Performance mode runs at a variable resolution with a locked 60fps, Fidelity runs at a variable frame rate with a native 4k

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Are the dips too pronounced?

Not really. Mainly happens during busy driving/shootouts, but in all the analysis I did, I didn't see it drop to much below 40fps, and for no longer than a second or two. Slight fluctuations around 58/59 for parts of it, but again, it's not that pronounced at all

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wish more games would do FOV settings. I was not expecting that for this. Havent been keeping up with info on this director's cut.

One thing about GTA V when it was done for PS4, XBO is the insane amount of new settings.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Odd that he didn't test the loadings times on PC. How are they? They seem to be about 5 sec on PS5.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game runs like butter on my 3070 at 1440 (80-90fps without dlss / 120 with ).
No wonder it can be 1800+60

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
About new story content if you expected it
There's none until the end, I've replayed the game again from the start. Two new delivery missions after the credits can be considered story missions but you can just watch them on YouTube, they are 20 minutes long. Other new deliveries don't have a story and are only good for unlocking new stuff.

I only looked at the first sentence of your spoiler...
Think one of the last things I did was a fight in the trenches, so I can start the game there from my save and not miss anything?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Seeing some of these early performance returns with this port using the decima engine, horizon FW is def gonna be doing some great shit