• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.gamesindustry.biz

Death Stranding has sold five million copies on PS4 and PC

Death Stranding has sold through five million copies worldwide on PS4 and PC, developer Kojima Productions has said.Spe…

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, head of publishing Jay Boor says the game has performed 'quite well', and the studio is optimistic about the release of the Director's Cut on PlayStation 5 in September.

"With Death Stranding being the first title developed out of Kojima Productions, from a sales perspective, it has performed quite well," he says. "As of March 2021, Death Stranding has sold through over five million units worldwide on PlayStation 4 and PC."
This is 5 million copies in roughly a year and 4 months.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
www.gamesindustry.biz

Death Stranding has sold five million copies on PS4 and PC

Death Stranding has sold through five million copies worldwide on PS4 and PC, developer Kojima Productions has said.Spe…

"With Death Stranding being the first title developed out of Kojima Productions, from a sales perspective, it has performed quite well," he says. "As of March 2021, Death Stranding has sold through over five million units worldwide on PlayStation 4 and PC."

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. One of my favorite experiences last gen. Even though I have a love-hate relationship with Kojima especially after MGSV, I'm so glad he's still making games.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember who said something absurd like the game had three millions unsold copies but it was such horseshit lol
5M is great although i am not surprised that Sony wouldnt immediately greenlight a sequel since their first party usually perform higher than that.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
A lot of you really wanted to role-play as a post apocalyptic Fed Ex employee huh?

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
do we know how it did on PC? that's where my friends and I all bought the game, and I felt like the game's nature really lent itself to the platform

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I don't remember who said something absurd like the game had three millions unsold copies but it was such horseshit lol

Dusk

And it wasn't only that part that was wrong. His whole info about DS was just a bunch of nonsense, likely from a shitty source.

5M is great although i am not surprised that Sony wouldnt immediately greenlight a sequel since their first party usually perform higher than that.

Yeah iirc in the earnings report QA it was implied that Sony wasn't happy with their titles performance in that FY.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Good sales. Definitely a success and profitable. But its not the mega hit a lot of people expected it could be. I wonder what the split is between ps4 and pc.

I can see this ultimately reaching 8~ million or so.

Oct 25, 2017
Genius Kojumbo is redeemed.

39Qn.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to finally have a number for this one. As expected it's the less successfull new PlayStation IP compared to Horizon, Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima, but that's still a respectable number.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely amazing game, will be buying the PS5 version day 1, going for that second Platinum!

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear, great numbers for a new IP (and a very unique one at that).

Can't wait for their next project.

Also hope that the insider and all the people that were pushing that shit here are enjoying their crow.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
5 Mio are very solid for a new IP and being exclusive for 12 months. Nice, hope Sony greenlights a sequel and let Kojima does whatever he want with a sequel.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
glad to see it has sold really well. I was a bit worried since they never really advertised the sales figure before and one of the insiders mentioning a lot of unsold copies left or something..

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good

Really one of a kind. I (mostly) loved my time with the game. I wish the story didn't go off the rails that much and that the hokey stuff was dialed back a bit.

Deleted member 62769

Jan 6, 2020
And i will be there too for that second Platinum!
I just hope they have increased the bandwidth so we can place more ziplines!!!!!
It was so fun to create a big zipline system!
I remember how I made a big zipline system that reached everywhere where the vehicle road didn't reach.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Cringy dialog and story-line aside, I really enjoyed my time with this game. Hopefully Kojima can improve on the things that worked well here and do away with the more annoying aspects of it for his studio's follow up.

It's always nice to see experimental games do well though, more of that please!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of you really wanted to role-play as a post apocalyptic Fed Ex employee huh?
I think this is just due to Kojima's insane talent in making almost any setting he choses for his games interesting to play.
People moan about his games being interactive movies, but Kojima is probably low-key one of the best game designers in the world, when it comes to creating fun to play mechanics. Like his next game could be about being a librarian who needs to sort some books in a monster infested old library, and he probably still get me to care about how to most efficiently get those books where they belong.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
One of my favourite PlayStation exclusives from last generation.

It was a wholly unique experience, heightened by playing it during a global pandemic as the world was locked down and isolated.

Nov 4, 2017
So the game shipped 8 million copies? That's not bad!
Not gonna lie, it took me a while to get this but I chortled heartily.

Didn't another insider come out (on Era maybe) explaining how Dusk's numbers had to be wrong because it would mean they must have run over 5million copies for the initial production run?

Anyway, Death Stranding is one of the best games ever made. It deserves every single one of those sales, and I look forward to seeing how it goes with the Directors Cut.

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
It was so fun to create a big zipline system!
I remember how I made a big zipline system that reached everywhere where the vehicle road didn't reach.

Yeah i had a lot of fun doing that too. I remember tried taking advantage of the network zip lines because they did not consume my bandwidth and i made a zipline network which expanded on the most parts of the map so i can deliver everything asap.
Such a great game.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I remember when people desperately claimed Death Stranding bombed and Kojima was full of shite when he said it made profit. So glad that wasn't the case.

One of my favourite games of all time. It was just amazing and I want a sequel! It should be the new trilogy Kojima does, imo. Always loved MGS but Death Stranding also blew me away with how unique it felt.

Last edited:

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it did well.

Kojima Productions somehow making a AAA open world game about encumbrance and fetch quests should be appreciated as the utter magic trick it is.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
5 Mio are very solid for a new IP and being exclusive for 12 months. Nice, hope Sony greenlights a sequel and let Kojima does whatever he want with a sequel.

Not saying it's bad...but it's actually the weakest new AAA IP for Sony this past gen. Even with a PC release. Days Gone sold more on PS4 alone. Not going to mention Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, etc...

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
steamspy estimates it's between 1m and 2m but i don't know how accurate steamspy is anymore

It's almost guaranteed at <1M on PC and >4M on PS4 at the time of reporting of these sales.

Re: PC sales

www.resetera.com

DigitalBros Portfolio Sales(28/05/2021) - Asseto Corsa: 12m, Bloodstained: ROTN: More than 1m, Control: More than 2m, GhostRunner: More than 500K Sales

Digital Bros Fiscal Year 2020-2021 3rd Quarter Results(28/05/2021): Source: Digital Bros. Corporate Overview - May 2021 Presentation

Death-Stranding-May2021.png

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
One of my fav games of that year, fav game of last gen, fav games ever.

Cant wait to finish playing it with the Director's Cut.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The game probably did bomb at launch, relative to its sales target. But it's still selling overtime, mainly due to good words of mouth and PC release.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Great result, especially for a new IP and the gameplay premise of "delivering".

Not saying it's bad...but it's actually the weakest new AAA IP for Sony this past gen. Even with a PC release. Days Gone sold more on PS4 alone. Not going to mention Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, etc...
I'm quite sure it has sold around as much as Detroit and more than Bloodborne, Until Dawn, The Order: 1886, Driveclub etc.

Also, we heard official numbers for Days Gone?

Last edited: