• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
AWKCKmF.png

Sammy

Death Stranding, the sci-fi delivery simulator developed by Kojima Productions set in a near-future post-apocalyptic America likes to throw a lot of these random deliveries at you from time to time. Like delivering original PlayStations, detailed model weapons, items used by old robot-lovers and the fountain pens of famous writer's of years past. But one of these standard orders that you'll be tackling often if you like to sweat out Premium Deliveries like me is delivering "classic open-world games".

Death Stranding is set in our universe, and likes to reference a lot from our own current pop culture, including Super Mario (which I'm surprised Nintendo let him get away with). Which brings me to my question. These classic open-world games that Sam Porter Bridges is delivering to various preppers around the nation. What do you reckon they are? I don't know when the Death Stranding timeline diverges from ours (prolly a few decades) but in that time, there's a possibility that the various open-world games we've gone on to trash like Fallout 4 have actually become revered classics!

Okay, jokes aside though. Open-world games. Which ones would you say are fit to be classified as 'classics' or 'modern classics' and why? I'd wager Skyrim as it ushered in a new benchmark for open-world RPGs when it comes to the scale of the world, production values, the big ol' soundtrack and the ridiculously expansive lore that TES games are known for. A quintessential fantasy adventure for the whole family.

If I'm being honest, you could probably throw GTA V into the pile too. Knowing Kojima, one of these games is absolutely MGSV because why not ;^) The thought of picturing Sam delivering these games which for some reason weigh a ton to randos has got me chuckling like a fool. "Bro I need my copy of Daggerfall PLZZZ!!1"

What say you, Era? What's your pick(s) and why?

Last edited:

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding has quests? You fuckin serious dropping that out of nowhere, and it's right in the title?

Can someone ban this jackass, please? #nospoilers

May 17, 2018
Hey, this would have been cool to find out on our own, man.

Like, you could have just posted the question without the part about Death Stranding.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Some people like to discover these things on their own. It's not a terrible spoiler, but it is a spoiler.
That you thought it was interesting enough to make a thread about it kinda explains what makes it a spoiler.
I think you're misunderstanding me. This isn't tied to any sort of questline, it's just a random delivery that you do as part of a bunch of random deliveries. It has no significance at all and isn't really cool but I thought Kojima having people deliver "classic open-world games" in this post-apocalyptic world was really quite funny

Anyways, can we get back to the topic at hand please?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I guess

Grand Theft Auto 3
Red Dead Redemption
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
One of the Assassin's Creeds (The cloak was in MGS4)
One of the Far Crys (MGSV took a lot of influence)
Skyrim or a Fallout

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I guess

Grand Theft Auto 3
Red Dead Redemption
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
One of the Assassin's Creeds (The cloak was in MGS4)
One of the Far Crys (MGSV took a lot of influence)
Skyrim or a Fallout

BotW is a classic open world game?

I think you're misunderstanding me. This isn't tied to any sort of questline, it's just a random delivery that you do as part of a bunch of random deliveries. It has no significance at all and isn't really cool but I thought Kojima having people deliver "classic open-world games" in this post-apocalyptic world was really quite funny

Anyways, can we get back to the topic at hand please?

"I found this funny so i wanna ruin the joke for everyone else"

Kojima 4th wall breaks are part of the surprise and you ruined it for some.

Tezza

Nov 15, 2017
Why create a thread on this, couldn't you post in the Death Stranding OT.

Bit of a dick move, considering people like to not know anything about the games they play.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
That you thought it was interesting enough to make a thread about it kinda explains what makes it a spoiler.

Everyone knows video game forums aren't meant to bring up interesting and unique details of games. We're here to cycle through the same 10 corporate PR talking points.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Why create a thread on this, couldn't you post in the Death Stranding OT.

Bit of a dick move, considering people like to not know anything about the games they play.
How is this bad?

They are repeating side quests - vestan is just asking what games Kojima might have implied by them being "classic open world games". I don't consider that a spoiler.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Personally, I'd hope they'd be weird cult-classic open-world games like Brutal Legend and NieR, you know, keeping up with Death Stranding being a weird open-world game (and future cult classic) itself.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sam Bridges from Death Stranding is actually delivering copies of classic open world video game Death Stranding to a real life Norman Reedus.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
How is it a spoiler lol, it's a repeating side quest that has no sort of story/narrative setup at all.
It's really not. Some people are just too damn sensitive about this kind of shit. I'm only a few hours in and haven't come across one of these yet, I ain't complaining. Got something to look forward to now.

Thanks OP.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It's considered a classic unless you mean over 5 or 10 years. And Death Stranding is presumely set in the future.

Classic as in design, not classic as in legacy. BotW does not follow the classic open world design, it bucks it.

edit: Though I guess OP is phrasing it that way so you're correct, which I'd be surprised if that's Kojima's intention.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
KOJIMA MADE A NEW GAME ?!

FUCK SAKES THANKS FOR THE SPOILER OP...JESUS CHRIIIIST

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the Death Stranding timeline, Human Head made Prey 2, so that game.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Can't believe I forgot about BotW, yeah that definitely hits the criteria.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I've never felt more connected to an NPC bringing that Lake guy with his board games. It is obviously open world games that do not include board games.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This is both something that can go in the OT and a list thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.