• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird that Tetris Effect is still on the list. Maybe this isn't the most reliable source?
It is weird and that fact alone completely and utterly obliterates this narrative that people seem to be vying for. Sony are just extremely unreliable with their labelling of exclusives and has been shown countless times.

The examples people bring up as to why Death Stranding might be coming to PC are either good will towards the developers who wanted to part way with Sony (Journey and Detroit), or they were never labelled as first-party exclusives in the first place (No Man's Sky and Crash Bandicoot). None of these, aside from Journey were made with Sony's internal production resources. As proud as Kojima seems to be that he runs an independent studio and that most of the marketing has been controlled by them, almost everything about DS is going straight through SIE.

I'm thinking 5 years down the line, this narrative will be as creaky as those who were confident MGS4 would go to other platforms, and that's not even a first-party game made with Sony resources.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
This is pretty much exactly what I said. Before the game had a title or an engine, right after the initial announcement of the partnership.
You said it was referring to a smaller scale project, when they literally said it was the first game that they were doing that would also come to PC after PS4.

Is there some other independent Kojima game (as in, his new studio) that was released on PS4 before Death Stranding?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Drive-by port-begging is prohibited on ResetERA. Iirc, I think it is even a bannable offense (although temporarily) last time I checked.
Port-begging is a problem when it occurs in threads that have nothing to do with ports, if there were a thread where port-begging would be appropriate, it's this thread.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do people spend so much time and energy over this? Are people really that insecure that Sony might lose an exclusive? Why does it even matter?

If you're confident that it won't come anywhere else, just leave it be and wait until the release day.

I have even seen someone in this thread praying it remains a PS4 exclusive, because he doesn't want people to start asking for other PS4 games

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could be, but before it even releases? That seems like a poor move.
Why, you think all those 100+ million PS4 owners are all of the sudden going to change to PC gaming? The smart move would be Sony owning the IP, sselling it on PS4, then a year later sell it on PC and get more sales.

I have even seen someone in this thread praying it remains a PS4 exclusive because he doesn't want people to start asking for other PS4 games

Thankfully those people are slowing fading away into obscrurity. Times are slowly changing, especailly anything that isn't from a 1st party studio and once streaming gets ahold there will no longer be this territorial attitude. The attitude should be this game is great, I wish more people could enjoy it.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I'm excited for the game and am following this news not cause I want this to remain exclusive but because it's an interesting business and game industry story. I wonder how this will all play out whether it's timed or a true exclusive at launch.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
You said it was referring to a smaller scale project, when they literally said it was the first game that they were doing that would also come to PC after PS4.

Is there some other independent Kojima game (as in, his new studio) that was released on PS4 before Death Stranding?

I said he was.

"When I started Kojima Productions, I wanted to make a smaller game, but when I spoke to my friends around the world, they told me I couldn't because people were expecting a big game, so that's what I'm going to do. I can't say when it will be out, but it's not going to be a small game."

I can't find the interview he did in December 2015, but it mirrored his statements above about the early stages of this whole process. Somewhere a long the way the 'smaller' PC/PS4 game turned into a full fledged, AAA tier, Decima Engine project called Death Stranding at which point all mention of a PC release stopped. The reasoning for that? Time will tell.

Just a fan of games, though, I'd love to see Death Stranding running on bleeding edge tech, 60fps with ray tracing and everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I said he was.

I can't find the interview he did in December 2015, but it mirrored his statements above about the early stages of this whole process. Somewhere a long the way the 'smaller' PC/PS4 game turned into a full fledged, AAA tier, Decima Engine project called Death Stranding at which point all mention of a PC release stopped. The reasoning for that? Time will tell.

Just a fan of games, though, I'd love to see Death Stranding running on bleeding edge tech, 60fps with ray tracing and everything.
Gotcha. I can see how many of us ended up gelling those things together in our memories from 3-4 years ago lol

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing could be happening here
That's super unlikely because the situations are not even close. The games you are comparing Death Stranding to did what they needed for the PlayStation brand at the time, and if there was any chance in there being strong sequels to those games, we would see the intent with them signing on for a sequel and not with the developer wanting to move away from Sony's financial backing. Death Stranding is going to be a huge hit for Sony, and Kojima if he gets the chance will want to make sequels, which will be content to drive the future PlayStation console hardware business - that is one prong of Sony's PS5 strategy: AAA exclusive content. I made a response about this topic in another thread which concerns the exclusive games that have gone to PC so far:

Journey was the last of TGC's incubated projects with Santa Monica Studio. It was very successful for Sony and helped them build a reputation for helping shape these kinds of indie experiences and what would come next, but I don't think it had staying power like the big AAA IPs do for the PlayStation brand, mostly due to it being a 2-hour indie game that not many people talk about as much anymore or really buy as much on their platform. Nobody is asking for "Journey 2". Sony obliged TGC to put it on the PC because they were going to be moving away from console development and must have wanted to attain a bigger audience.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was a one-off partnership that was assisted by Santa Monica Studio and after they decided that they no longer wanted to pursue a new project with Sony (or maybe it was the other way around) they wanted their IP to go to other platforms. The Chinese Room is a studio that made its name in the PC community and many of their fans are there. Sony obliged them the license to publish on PC, and after that they decided to take Dear Esther to multiple platforms. Again, nobody is asking for "EGTTR 2".

Helldivers was from Arrowhead Game Studios - also a team that made its name on the PC platform first and foremost. I'm sure Sony had no problem with letting them do what they want on a platform their are comfortable working on. It's a small indie studio making relatively small games, and they don't do sequels. Again, because of this we are probably never going to see a "Helldivers 2". Also I've noticed it was published by PlayStation Mobile Inc, and not SIE directly.

Quantic Dream wanted to pursue something different after all of these years. They no longer wanted to work with Sony's production money (or maybe it was the other way around), so Sony obliged them the license to publish the game on PC as they see fit. Some people want a "Detroit 2", but the chance for that already passed. They've already done exactly what they need to for SIE and aren't getting sequels that would boost the PlayStation brand in any way.

In short, what is the common thread between the studios behind all of these games that came to PC? These studios do not make sequels. So it's not likely going to happen unless it's a game from a studio that is known for not making sequels that also wants out of a working relationship with Sony.

Additionally, none of these games on PlayStation platforms moved anywhere close to as many copies as Death Stranding as a new IP is about to. It will move 8-10 million copies, easy. KojiPro is going to eat. They're getting all they could ever want from Sony's internal resources and complete creative freedom, so why would he bargain for a PC port when he's working in tandem with a studio who handed him the source code to their engine without question. Not only will Kojima want to make another one after this, but Sony is going to want to put more weight behind it as content to drive their PlayStation business. PC really doesn't help them in that case.

Why, you think all those 100+ million PS4 owners are all of the sudden going to change to PC gaming? The smart move would be Sony owning the IP, sselling it on PS4, then a year later sell it on PC and get more sales.
That strategy is at odds with what content like Death Stranding does for Sony's console business over the course of a generation. Committing to releasing any and all sequels to a franchise they've heavily invested in on PC is what this would mean with no guarantee they'll get the return they're after, and then the pandora's box is opened. In actuality they will bring games like this to PlayStation Now when it fully makes business sense to because that looks to be their long-term multiplatform strategy.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see it coming to PC.
Certainly a better chance now than a day ago!
In what conceivable way is that so?

This list omits Dreams, Concrete Genie or MediEvil which are PS4 exclusives that nobody has ever questioned. It includes Tetris Effect which has already been confirmed for PC, the PlayStation Store still lists it as "Only on PlayStation", and there have been trailers confirming it as a PS4 exclusive. That is not even touching on how engrained this game is within SIE's internal production pipeline.

I think you're well aware how inconsistent Sony is and has been with exclusivity labelling but are just joining the bandwagon. There is no more chance today that the game is coming to PC than a week ago.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

This list omits Dreams, Concrete Genie or MediEvil which are PS4 exclusives that nobody has ever questioned. It includes Tetris Effect which has already been confirmed for PC, the PlayStation Store still lists it as "Only on PlayStation", and there have been trailers confirming it as a PS4 exclusive. That is not even touching on how engrained this game is within SIE's internal production pipeline.

I think you're well aware how inconsistent Sony is and has been with exclusivity labelling but are just joining the bandwagon. There is no more chance today that the game is coming to PC than a week ago.

I didn't see that it was confirmed either.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Death Stranding port begging reminds of me Persona 5 Royal port beg.
Kinda sad cuz when the game comes out we will get every thread derailed by it.
But hey this is the forum that allowed a thread with a title "Only PS4 announced so far" for a exclusive announcement rolling trough dozens of pages so let people have fun with their port begging.
I know I ll be playing day one.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

CZLQWKdXEAAZvbh.png

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
This list omits Dreams, Concrete Genie or MediEvil which are PS4 exclusives that nobody has ever questioned. It includes Tetris Effect which has already been confirmed for PC and the PlayStation Store still lists the game as "Only on PlayStation", as well as there being trailers confirming it as a PS4 exclusive. I think you're well aware how inconsistent Sony is and has been with exclusivity labelling but are just joining the bandwagon. There is no more chance today that the game is coming to PC than yesterday.

I mean, there's a pretty big difference between "This game was never on the list" and "It was on the list, but it was removed." Don't you agree?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony should open up more to the PC. If nothing else, having it as a option for 2nd party games would make those deals even easier for them to do. PC support is something MS offers that Sony traditionally doesnt. If you are a dev that cares about supporting the PC then Sony just isnt a option for you.

I can see them keeping the internal 1th party on lockdown but letting 2nd parties release on PC makes some sense.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Were those games removed from the list just like Death Stranding, or are they not even there right from the start?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding port begging reminds of me Persona 5 Royal port beg.
Kinda sad cuz when the game comes out we will get every thread derailed by it.
But hey this is the forum that allowed a thread with a title "Only PS4 announced so far" for a exclusive announcement rolling trough dozens of pages so let people have fun with their port begging.
I know I ll be playing day one.

A true Kojima fan should want a PC version. It produced the best version of MGS5 by far. :P

You won't have to worry about thread derails though, port-begging is still a bannable offense.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I believed in a PC version after they'd chosen an engine, but it's definitely an oddly timed omission. Even if there were to be a PC version it wouldn't be releasing any time soon, so removing these entries now doesn't even make sense.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, there's a pretty big difference between "This game was never on the list" and "It was on the list, but it was removed." Don't you agree?
Yep. I am not surprised this poster is arguing so hard against it.

It is odd that it was removed. For what purpose? Oversight or is it coming to PC as originally planned?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Dumb question, if this comes out on PC, is this gonna be the first PC game that uses the engine Guerrilla made for Horizon? That's neat~

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That thread was probably one of the worst around this topic. People are latching on to whatever they can cause it's a Kojima game and they either want it or they want to stomp on platform exclusivity. That's not a bad thing, but it's also not entirely pragmatic either given how the production of this game has evolved.

It's all the same to me. It shows that Sony or whoever they have managing this kind of exclusivity labelling is just not good at it or isn't given all the details they need to effectively inform people. I've been in every "DS coming to PC" thread there is and there is just as much reaching here, as there ever is.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Surely there are no posters here that wish for this game to remain exclusive? I mean, that benefits no one.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Were those games removed from the list just like Death Stranding, or are they not even there right from the start?
See the post I made above.

Yep. I am not surprised this poster is arguing so hard against it.
You know you are able to respond to me directly? Seems like you are avoiding a direct conversation with me about the topic. What part of the comment you responded to makes sense and confirms a "better chance now than a day ago"? It has already been established that Sony is inconsistent and unreliable with its exclusivity labelling. Removing a listing and not replacing it with other exclusives just shows their negligence in this area.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
A true Kojima fan should want a PC version. It produced the best version of MGS5 by far. :P

You won't have to worry about thread derails though, port-begging is still a bannable offense.

Oh you can be sure that Gamescom thread gonna be a shit show if there is no PC announcement, which I think it won't happen for obvious reasons.
As for Kojima fans I would say that those that really are will find a way to play it regardless the plataform. I know I did with Twin Snakes.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Like I said, glad to see it coming to PC.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's super unlikely because the situations are not even close. The games you are comparing Death Stranding to did what they needed for the PlayStation brand at the time, and if there was any chance in there being strong sequels to those games, we would see the intent with them signing on for a sequel and not with the developer wanting to move away from Sony's financial backing. Death Stranding is going to be a huge hit for Sony, and Kojima if he gets the chance will want to make sequels, which will be content to drive the future PlayStation console hardware business - that is one prong of Sony's PS5 strategy: AAA exclusive content. I made a response about this topic in another thread which concerns the exclusive games that have gone to PC so far:

Journey was the last of TGC's incubated projects with Santa Monica Studio. It was very successful for Sony and helped them build a reputation for helping shape these kinds of indie experiences and what would come next, but I don't think it had staying power like the big AAA IPs do for the PlayStation brand, mostly due to it being a 2-hour indie game that not many people talk about as much anymore or really buy as much on their platform. Nobody is asking for "Journey 2". Sony obliged TGC to put it on the PC because they were going to be moving away from console development and must have wanted to attain a bigger audience.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was a one-off partnership that was assisted by Santa Monica Studio and after they decided that they no longer wanted to pursue a new project with Sony (or maybe it was the other way around) they wanted their IP to go to other platforms. The Chinese Room is a studio that made its name in the PC community and many of their fans are there. Sony obliged them the license to publish on PC, and after that they decided to take Dear Esther to multiple platforms. Again, nobody is asking for "EGTTR 2".

Helldivers was from Arrowhead Game Studios - also a team that made its name on the PC platform first and foremost. I'm sure Sony had no problem with letting them do what they want on a platform their are comfortable working on. It's a small indie studio making relatively small games, and they don't do sequels. Again, because of this we are probably never going to see a "Helldivers 2". Also I've noticed it was published by PlayStation Mobile Inc, and not SIE directly.

Quantic Dream wanted to pursue something different after all of these years. They no longer wanted to work with Sony's production money (or maybe it was the other way around), so Sony obliged them the license to publish the game on PC as they see fit. Some people want a "Detroit 2", but the chance for that already passed. They've already done exactly what they need to for SIE and aren't getting sequels that would boost the PlayStation brand in any way.

In short, what is the common thread between the studios behind all of these games that came to PC? These studios do not make sequels. So it's not likely going to happen unless it's a game from a studio that is known for not making sequels that also wants out of a working relationship with Sony.

Additionally, none of these games on PlayStation platforms moved anywhere close to as many copies as Death Stranding as a new IP is about to. It will move 8-10 million copies, easy. KojiPro is going to eat. They're getting all they could ever want from Sony's internal resources and complete creative freedom, so why would he bargain for a PC port when he's working in tandem with a studio who handed him the source code to their engine without question. Not only will Kojima want to make another one after this, but Sony is going to want to put more weight behind it as content to drive their PlayStation business. PC really doesn't help them in that case.

That strategy is at odds with what content like Death Stranding does for Sony's console business over the course of a generation. Committing to releasing any and all sequels to a franchise they've heavily invested in on PC is what this would mean with no guarantee they'll get the return they're after, and then the pandora's box is opened. In actuality they will bring games like this to PlayStation Now when it fully makes business sense to because that looks to be their long-term multiplatform strategy.

The PS4 generation is coming to an end and PS Now is already on the PC. So why not sell older titles on the PC too? Kojima already stated he would like to support the PC, not sure why some of you seem to struggle with letting go. We are not talking about 1st party studio titles from Naughty Dog. This could very well be treated like Street Fighter V.

See the post I made above.

You know you are able to respond to me directly? Seems like you are avoiding a direct conversation with me about the topic. What part of the comment you responded to makes sense and confirms a "better chance now than a day ago"? It has already been established that Sony is inconsistent and unreliable with its exclusivity labelling. Removing a listing and not replacing it with other exclusives just shows their negligence in this area.

Maybe they don't want to respond directly because some seem very touchy on the subject, acting like it may somehow deteriorate their experience and devalue their investment into the system. To me it's just weird seeing a consumer speak on behalf of the company, much like how crossplay topics go.

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
If there is a PC version, I don't see it being announced and released until next year.
Yep. All this chest beating but reality is most people will play this day 1 on ps4.

I cannot imagine waiting a year. The outliers in this thread who refuse to buy a console are a vocal minority.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. All this chest beating but reality is most people will play this day 1 on ps4.

I cannot imagine waiting a year. The outliers in this thread who refuse to buy a console are a vocal minority.
And what voice do you represent? Of course most people will play this on the PS4 day 1, it's the only announced version. It's like saying everyone will buy Grand Theft Auto V on the console day 1, then they go and buy it again on the PC. What's your point, that nobody bought The Last of Us on the PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.