• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also going on a 2deep4u metaphor here that the game's theme is reconnection and tearing down societal walls through single player and multiplayer interactions. Having the game locked to one platform when even Hideo has expressed great interest in multiplatform development (FOX Engine was designed for that reason), that it would go against the theme of his own game to be on one platform only.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Also going on a 2deep4u metaphor here that the game's theme is reconnection and tearing down societal walls through single player and multiplayer interactions. Having the game locked to one platform when even Hideo has expressed great interest in multiplatform development (FOX Engine was designed for that reason), that it would go against the theme of his own game to be on one platform only.
Okay you are thinking about this way too hard

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What? 😆

Just because it may not be a PS exclusive, doesn't lose them their IP ownership. They can put the game on Xbox if they wanted to, and it would still be theirs. Platform exclusivity doesn't equal ownership.

Only Heavy Rain, the other two are owned by SIE. Just like how Flower, and Journey are still owned by Sony.
I don't get it. How sony should own the ip "forever" if the main developer, at some time,.is free to release it to others platform without negative consequences?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Decima on PC will be glorious.
If only I was excited for the game.
I still havent seen enough to know whether I want this game or not.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
A PC version of Death Stranding!? Be still my heart!

Not sure if I can wait for the inevitable Steam version. Might have to pick up on PS4 and double dip. Kojima has learned from the best
(fucking Rockstar).

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
I don't understand why Sony would do all this for Kojima (funding, giving engine for free etc...) and then allow the game on PC, but whatever it's their choice if it's coming to PC then i will just wait for PC port

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Game funded by Sony ending up on other platforms will be weird. Unless Sony has a financial interest of course.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. How sony should own the ip "forever" if the main developer, at some time,.is free to release it to others platform without negative consequences?

Because as the IP owner Sony could do whatever the hell they want. Look at games like Flower, Everyone Gone to the Rapture, Journey, Detroit Become Human, Beyond Two Souls, etc. All games published on PC by other publishers, but the IPs are 100% still owned by Sony.

I don't think so. But if they can sell it on EGS, they must had bought the right of the IPs.

For the last time, QD only owns the rights to Heavy Rain. They have some sort of PC publishing agreement, but they don't own Beyond Two Souls or Detroit Become Human.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

fucking knew it

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have an only on Playstation sticker on my Detroit case and it was heavily marketed as a ps exclusive. This shit means nothing. Let's just wait if it comes to PC.

It's exclusive as long as they want it to be because Sony owns the property.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Since sony owns ip i think DS s timed exclusive but only to let kojima get profits from pc version. They ll wait to see scores and sales. If its hit they ll make sequel full time exclusive for ps5. Imo.
Giving engine, money, marketing, people...seems stupid and odd just to get timed exclusive at the end of gen.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
On another note, Sony published this video in 2019

96536206d92157a9897b6e82bf4920227c955e0470d8f2c389e534ff33c8ab526771e425.jpg

+ Just last May, Jim Ryan made a presentation to Sony's investors about the road map going forward and showed this particular slideshow which clearly states that Death Stranding as an exclusive.

739002341b6d49803984dfc8d5914d6cc5ef47e8b835b8ee73567b48e79e7a279e8f3a41.jpg

So, in reality, we have way more evidences that DS is exclusive than the other way around... but hey, nobody knows what Tim Sweeney is capable of.

PlayStation: Sony Promises Exclusive First-Party Games, New IP, and Strengthening Existing Ones

Screenshot-5_22_2018-7_34_15-AM.jpg

Detroit become human was list as exclusive title too

it will not be strange to see death stranding in pc

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Years ago Twisted Metal was released on PC too and that IP is owned by Sony.

I think a PC version mighy happen but I doubt it would go to other platforms.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'd really just like Sony to likewise allow their games on PC (They already have with many, but I'd like a commitment to do that will all their exclusives). It would be nice to see them engage there now that MS is getting more serious about it.

I'm not sure that this is particularly surprising thigh since we knew this was headed to PC as it was.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't think it was ever a PS4 exclusive. Always thought this was hitting PC/PS5 too.

But great news if it is. Whether it's EGS or Steam, doesn't matter in the slightest. Fuck waiting a year to play this though, this game is one you want to join in on day one with everyone else.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Surprising, guess the PC port will be announced soon then. Man this could be the game that gets me to install EGS if they pulled that off.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Game funded by Sony ending up on other platforms will be weird. Unless Sony has a financial interest of course.
It wouldn't be the first time. The Quantic Dream games are on PC, so is Journey (even just hit iOS).

But Death Stranding is interesting if true because it's a first-party owned engine going on another platform. And I wonder if Guerilla knew that giving Kojima their engine. And then the whole thing with Cerny traveling to all of the first-party studios to pick an engine in the first place. There must have been some value in signing him to a timed contract rather than bringing him completely into the SIE family.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
PS4 + Steam + Stadia imo.

Would be nice if it could somehow be cross-purchase, because I'm invested in all 3 platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.