• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

Short: "Because we have all these actors, many will want to experience this, so we included a very easy mode for everyone to enjoy.

Further note, his assitant played it through now, took her a month (not saying something, really, but interesting nevertheless).

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Haaa yes, those actors, famously incapable of any coordination.

This reminds me of Nolan North's recent playthrough of Uncharted. He really sucked at the start but by the end he got pretty good, was really cool to see. It's a matter of persistence but people who don't usually play games wont have that kind of patience for the most part.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Always a fan of easy modes and accessibility options like this. Day 1 for sure.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of Nolan North's recent playthrough of Uncharted. He really sucked at the start but by the end he got pretty good, was really cool to see. It's a matter of persistence but people who don't usually play games wont have that kind of patience for the most part.
It's kinda hard to get into modern games, if you haven't played a lot of games or none at all. But I don't think it's an impossible task either.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It says because of fans of the actors ("fans of Western films"), not so the actors can play it themselves. As well as those new to games. He's suggesting that people will be drawn to the game because of the actors that play the characters ...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I cannot read Japanese and do not know what the tweet says
There's a translate option tho I think you need to be logged in. No idea why OP didn't just put this in the OP...

It's usually easy, but norman, matz, rea, etc. are performing, so we prepared berry easy so that even western-style fans who have no experience of playing games can enjoy it. Mr. Yano who was not able to clear one side of Pac-Man was able to clear it while enjoying it with berry easy. 👍🌈🦀😅

stryke

Oct 28, 2017

It was endearing but infuriating to watch at the same time.
I was really expecting more commentary from Nolan but he got too preoccupied trying to play the game...badly.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda hard to get into modern games, if you haven't played a lot of games or none at all. But I don't think it's an impossible task either.

Usually the biggest struggle is controlling the camera, took Nolan a while to get comfortable with that. Moving the character while also controlling the viewpoint is a bit overwhelming for people.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Well, some of them might be well versed in gaming, but others might have never played a game, don't see a problem there.
I don't want to be too harsh because I don't understand japanese and I'm afraid to miss some nuance with an auto translate service, but it does seem that Kojima is more interested in his small circle of Hollywood best friends than anything or anyone else. Easy difficulties and accessibility is a good thing for everyone. It's super important that anyone can enjoy the game, regardless of skill or even any disability. Saying that "it's for the actors" is super reductive.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
It was endearing but infuriating to watch at the same time.
I was really expecting more commentary from Nolan but he got too preoccupied trying to play the game...badly.

Yeah, he still dropped some cool nuggets but he really had to concentrate on the game, there were so many times when Troy asked him stuff and Nolan didn't even register the questions because he as trying so hard lol.
But yeah, it's incredibly frustrating to watch, especially when you're good at that particular game. The most frustrating part was Troy constantly giving him wrong advice though. God, I wanted to the scream at my screen lol.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I'm honestly curious to know if people don't finish games because of their difficulty or the lack of engaging stories in many of them.

Not totally convinced it's length, because people spend tons of hours on serialized TV.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Filthy casuals!

Kidding, of course. People can enjoy games in whatever way they like.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope the very easy mode is actually called "Berry easy" as Google trad writes when translating Kojima's tweet :)

"Usually it is up to Easy, but Norman, Matz, Rare, etc. have appeared, so we prepared Berry Easy so that it can be enjoyed by non-game-experienced Western fans. Mr. Yano who could not clear one side of Pac-Man was able to clear while enjoying with Berry Easy"

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, he still dropped some cool nuggets but he really had to concentrate on the game, there were so many times when Troy asked him stuff and Nolan didn't even register the questions because he as trying so hard lol.
But yeah, it's incredibly frustrating to watch, especially when you're good at that particular game. The most frustrating part was Troy constantly giving him wrong advice though. God, I wanted to the scream at my screen lol.

Hopefully when they get to UC4 in 3 yrs time they realise there's an auto aim option

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait. Taking that Friday off and have Monday off for Veterans Day. Going to spend the whole weekend playing it. More options are always good

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to be too harsh because I don't understand japanese and I'm afraid to miss some nuance with an auto translate service, but it does seem that Kojima is more interested in his small circle of Hollywood best friends than anything or anyone else. Easy difficulties and accessibility is a good thing for everyone. It's super important that anyone can enjoy the game, regardless of skill or even any disability. Saying that "it's for the actors" is super reductive.
I did not understand you were saying this. I agree with you.
Might be missing some context from him, but what I hope he's saying is that some actors had problems playing the game so they made a mode for players who're not heavy gamers (as they probably were testers at some point) more than describing them as the reason for the mode.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
That sounds like a proper story mode. Been a couple of games I played where its just still too difficult for that. Darksiders 3 being the most recent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly curious to know if people don't finish games because of their difficulty or the lack of engaging stories in many of them.

Not totally convinced it's length, because people spend tons of hours on serialized TV.

From what I've observed, it's a mixture of both. A lack of a truly engaging narrative results in lesser motivation to overcome difficulty humps.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Sure, I think there's probably a lot of people (like me) who gave up on Sekiro, for example.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Please, everyone knows that gamers only want three difficulty choices in their games:

Normal
Hard
I'm Gonna Break My Fucking Controller

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Modern games are impossible to control for a newcomer. We take years of training and evolutionary learning for granted.

I put my bf who had never touched a console game (and is 19) because /he asked me to/ a bunch of PS4 games like Spiderman and assassins creed and crash bandicoot and most stuff was impossible to control for him. Weapon wheels? On screen inventories? Cameras? Lol. Managing that shit is the equivalent to alchemy or nuclear science for people who had never touched a console game. Which is, most people.

Kojima is a sell out, in the sense that he doesn't direct himself to the hard-core community only, but is constantly crossing over, specially with the movie community. He wants to be part of the entertainment industry, not the games industry. And that's a good thing. Because whatever the tries and achieves in accessibility with the larger public is gonna benefit the hard-core industry.

Let's see how well he does it with this idea.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Wow

Like, get good or step aside. I'm a hardcore gamer and don't need dev time used up with babying the babies

Many people don't have as many free time as you have to waste on videogames. This is an option for those. I'm sure there will be an option for you.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Wow

Like, get good or step aside. I'm a hardcore gamer and don't need dev time used up with babying the babies
serious.gif

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I usually play games on normal or hard but this might be a game I play on very easy depending on how scary it is. I get easily super stressed playing scary games and prone to panic which results in me dying a lot so very easy mode might be for me.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Berry Easy mode : every item in your loadout weight as much as a single berry. Yo can now run forever, never loose balance etc while transporting your cargo, an AR15, 6 frag grenades, 15 ladders etc.