• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Feel like I say this every time this comes up, but user reviews are trash and should just be removed, reviews have been weaponised at this point so just burn that shit down to the ground.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
An console exclusive game getting review bombed...no way, that has never happened except once in 1876

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Gonna be fun when the same thread is made for pokemon next week, but then removing the reviewbombs will be seen as removing "criticisms".

Meta should just not allow User reviews before the game is out a few weeks.
That way most people that do it for the attention will have already flocked to the new hot thing to rage about.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Steam is really the only decent place for user reviews since it tracks time played.

Still ignore the actual average score, but can dig into the details and see who has played the game quite easily. Nobody puts effort into metacritic reviews but there are some pretty nice complete ones on Steam.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic user reviews are so irrelevant though. Does anyone really look at them? They're so prone to nonsense reviews from both sides of the spectrum. You get a bunch of 10's and a bunch of 1's. I honestly wish Metacritic just did away with user reviews, or at least just get rid of the score so you can see people's thoughts without the exaggerated score next to it that they're trying to get attention with.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, don't waste your thoughts on metacritic user reviews

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The history of the users are a goldmine of cringe comedy.

dAw2QJo.jpg

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Exactly this. People are harping about the review bombing but are ignoring the opposite act of fake positive review scores.
When the end result is a score far lower than the critic average (critics are just gamers who got early copies in this case), it's clear that the balance of the review bombing is resulting in a lower score than is likely.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Until MC finds a way to verify that a user has played a game, they should just disable user reviews.

Furthermore, why have a game's user reviews open the moment it comes out, when nobody has had time to actually play it?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Do people pay attention to user reviews of any kind? They are almost always impulsive at best or hiding an agenda.

Because there's lots of games & genres that simply never get covered by mainstream gaming sites.

Steam user reviews play a big role in discovery for my tastes. I'm into hyper-indie, day-job simulators and colony/business management titles.

Some of these break through the noise and get attention by wider audiences. Most don't.

Looking over my current GOTY list, that vast bulk have seen almost zero coverage on websites or gaming podcasts. And I wouldn't have know about most of them without positive Steam user reviews.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Steam is really the only decent place for user reviews since it tracks time played.

Still ignore the actual average score, but can dig into the details and see who has played the game quite easily. Nobody puts effort into metacritic reviews but there are some pretty nice complete ones on Steam.
Steam User reviews are better, but still bad most of the time.
One game i know has several negative reviews from players that have literally thousands of hours playtime, giving it the thumbs down because they didnt like a specific dlc that is maybe 1% of the whole game.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When the end result is a score far lower than the critic average (critics are just gamers who got early copies in this case), it's clear that the balance of the review bombing is resulting in a lower score than is likely.
I mean, dragon age 2, RDR 2, mass effect 3, gta 4 got same treatment user score wise

Oct 25, 2017
Because there's lots of games & genres that simply never get covered by mainstream gaming sites.

Steam user reviews play a big role in discovery for my tastes. I'm into hyper-indie, day-job simulators and colony/business management titles.

Some of these break through the noise and get attention by wider audiences. Most don't.

Looking over my current GOTY list, that vast bulk have seen almost zero coverage on websites or gaming podcasts. And I wouldn't have know about most of them without positive Steam user reviews.

This.

Several of my favorite games from the past year have zero reviews on Metacritic and do not even have an Opencritic page. The only way to inform myself about these games prior to purchase was from user reviews.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Not even Metacritic scores (and I mean official scores) are worth a damn.

Steam reviews (and reviews that work like that) are the way to go.
You weigh them with the time played.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
If you seriously read metacritic user reviews and base your purchase decisions on those especially when it's a high profile exclusive game like this with 95% of the reviews made by fanboys or console warriors and you believe you will find it worthwhile and intellectual instead of reading the actual critics reviews I truly feel sorry for you.
First off this is a multiplat so anyone getting mad about it because of it being 'exclusive' when it's not is stupid anyway. Everyone will get the opportunity to try this on PC.

Secondly only idiots wouldn't know how to differentiate troll reviews from real ones. There are always several detailed reviews by legitimate people who want to share their opinion about the games they play. The aggregate review score might be misleading but there are loads of legit reviews on there. Its funny you mention critic reviews because they're no different. Pretty much all the Playstation-aligned sites gave this glowing reviews. It's like they're obliged to give it a good score simply because of their association. The same goes for the other companies as well.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Steam User reviews are better, but still bad most of the time.
One game i know has several negative reviews from players that have literally thousands of hours playtime, giving it the thumbs down because they didnt like a specific dlc that is maybe 1% of the whole game.
Like I said; ignore the score average and dig into the details.

Which is what people should be doing with any product really; and I think most people actually looking at what to buy, or what movie to see do that. Average scores are discussed in fan discussions endlessly and do give off an impression of a product, but there are a million hugely successful products with low average scores so they don't have that big of an effect on actual sales.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds to me like people are connecting to each other by review bombing this game together. Just as Kojima wanted!

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You shouldn't be able to submit a review until you've completed a certain percentage of the game. Just have it enforced by having to link to your game profile and cross reference with achievements.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that review bombing is pretty dumb especially if there is nothing heinous about the game (such micro-transactions/lootboxes/promotes bigotry). But in this case the game is getting an equal amount of praise from Kojima admirers and on the other end there are the review bombs from what one can assume are Kojima detractors and or individuals who are against console exclusives.

Seems that in the end it's actually balancing out. Kojima has probably the largest fan-base of any game developer out there so of course there will be people who hate that, it's unavoidable even if his games weren't controversial.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers never miss a beat when they have a shot to embarrass themselves and make everyone else look bad at the same time.

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
There's a lot of fanboyism for your "team" or company here. It's a mentality brought from football, you're from one team and you have to hate the other.
Also there's a lot of hate and envy to Kojima, and all the Death Stranding news are always received with a lot of toxic comments.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Happy to hear. I don't have a lot of experience with Steam so I didn't know. It's nice to have a well regulated community. Metacritic is a complete joke on many fronts.

i wouldnt call it quite regulated. There are bombings as well, but steam implemented an algorithm that shows people if many negative or positive reviews were posted in a short time. But this applies to big releases mostly. Old, smaller, niche games that have a small community are very well served by user reviews where you have fans that spent hundreds of hours with that particular game and can offer some unique insight. Others tell you if theres any problem and the solution for them.

A lot of people here dont like user reviews, but the steam ones have my approval

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic should really just get rid of user reviews. Always seems like everything is either a 10 or a 0.