• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I agree that review bombing is pretty dumb especially if there is nothing heinous about the game (such micro-transactions/lootboxes/promotes bigotry). But in this case the game is getting an equal amount of praise from Kojima admirers and on the other end there are the review bombs from what one can assume are Kojima detractors and or individuals who are against console exclusives.

Seems that in the end it's actually balancing out. Kojima has probably the largest fan-base of any game developer out there so of course there will be people who hate that, it's unavoidable even if his games weren't controversial.
Let me know how a game that has an aggregate review score of an 8 from professional critics, which would likely garner no lower than a 5 or 6 (3 points lower than the aggregate) from a person who hates it if they were being honest due to the game's core competence and craft, having a ton of reviews at 0 (8 points lower than the critical aggregate) balances out with the slew of equally bullshit 10s (2 points above the critical aggregate). A 0 is 4x the magnitude away from the more reasonable critic score, and thus has a greater impact on the user score aggregate.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Furthermore, why have a game's user reviews open the moment it comes out, when nobody has had time to actually play it?

That is something that has bothered me for a while now and it's not only Metacritic but also Amazon reviews. The user review sections should go live weeks after the game has launched.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
They should get rid of user reviews entirely. They don't add anything.

I can either make my own decisions about what to buy, or if I want to read advice and thoughts about it, I want that to be someone that's super knowledgeable about gaming, or an enthusiast on the genre, or a reviewer I know has comparable tastes to me.

Derek from around the corner has nothing to tell me about Death Stranding.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
This is the one game where getting tons of 0z and tons of 10s in user reviews will be consistent with critics reviews lol.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Day 1 reviews are basically hype and anti-hype meters. More websites should follow MMORPG.com's method of actually having a hype meter and a review meter.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Right. That helps for sure.
More context on that guy if you will:
-He is a playstation hater and goes on and on about its downfall and decadecnce and stuff.
-Lives out of controversies
-Well known for not understanding technicall stuff (once he was complaning about sony for saying ps4 pro was gonna be cooler-or something on those lines- because he understood cooler as in "cool beans" instead of cold).
-Just saw his twitter feed and has published 3 DS videos.
I don't know what he did, and I really don't want to watch any os his videos to find out.
TL;DR: he is very obnoxious

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone genuinely place any stock into user reviews? 9.9 times out of 10 the author can barely string together a coherent sentence let alone give a well thought out critique.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
No one expects Spanish community review bombing
2-C8-F2-C2-C-A0-AE-414-D-AE50-83-E0-F922-C0-D7.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The game came out today. Any user review today is basically pointless. Whether that's one of the 10s, one of the zeros or anything in between.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
It was always going to happen with this game 0/10s from people that haven't played the game but want to shit on it for being a "walking sim" and 10/10s from people wanting to compensate for the 0/10s.

I haven't even read them but I know there'll be a 10 with a disclaimer that the game is actually an 8 or something. Just remove them.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The history of the users are a goldmine of cringe comedy.

dAw2QJo.jpg
Yep, as expected some childish xboys are into console wars as always because Death Stranding not being on their platform sure stings some asses. They could've been smarter at least and waited for some days as the game released literally today. Goddamn embarrassing. The last time I remember when console fanatics were this hard on an exclusive game was Uncharted 4. On the other hand in a week when lots of people finish the game thousands of positive user scores will flood this pointless hate parade. MC should have had some preventive user hate/fan measures for years now, moderating won't help in the early days of release, maybe they should create some form of reputation scale for users or lock user scores for AAA games for some days just so that the universal score would fair: give time for people to play the game and haters could hate later.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User reviews certainly still have some merit, just not in this industry where the fanbase are either children or have the maturity of a child anyway. Hell even movie reviews are becoming more useless too, but I mean its gaming, we ARE the home of the childish fanbase

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Well user reviews are trash so no surprise.

Ex: Life is Strange 2 episode 1 :(5.5/10)

user reviews:

"Feels more like a far-left ideological propaganda piece than a game "
"why do devs need to push their leftist views in video games, I don't care about american politics"
"Another racist (stereotyping white men), heavy handed SJW political story "

"So many stereotypes in just a short episode. Everything is there you need nowadays:
The poor but honest Mexican immigrant family that innocently gets accused of a crime.
The interracial couple."

etc...

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Let me know how a game that has an aggregate review score of an 8 from professional critics, which would likely garner no lower than a 5 or 6 (3 points lower than the aggregate) from a person who hates it if they were being honest due to the game's core competence and craft, having a ton of reviews at 0 (8 points lower than the critical aggregate) balances out with the slew of equally bullshit 10s (2 points above the critical aggregate). A 0 is 4x the magnitude away from the more reasonable critic score, and thus has a greater impact on the user score aggregate.
Professional critics have their own biases. Some of them giving this game a 10 even though they claim that it has its fair share of problems is clear bias but it's ok. They can do whatever they want and I respect that. It means just a much to give this game a 10 as it does an 0 to me personally.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
the only user reviews i care about are from you guys *d'aaaaaaaw*

metacritic should just hide the user reviews on the front page, who gives a shit--- i'm here for the pro opinions anyway

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
They should get rid of user reviews entirely. They don't add anything.

I can either make my own decisions about what to buy, or if I want to read advice and thoughts about it, I want that to be someone that's super knowledgeable about gaming, or an enthusiast on the genre, or a reviewer I know has comparable tastes to me.

Derek from around the corner has nothing to tell me about Death Stranding.
What about 1000 Dereks?

Theb asic Idea behind user reviews, is that it hows you the % of people that like or hate a game, thats good data, the problem, is that in reality, only the people with strong opinions about the game will take time to review it, so, people that really dislike a game for a reason, fanboy wars or really big gans of the game.

Aug 23, 2018
I can not remember the last time I looked at a Metacritic user review score and had it affect my purchasing decision.

My copy of DS is 10 stops away, let's go!

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Professional critics have their own biases. Some of them giving this game a 10 even though they claim that it has its fair share of problems is clear bias but it's ok. They can do whatever they want and I respect that. It means just a much to give this game a 10 as it does an 0 to me personally.
Whatever you say, man. I'm not gonna try to convince you that math exists, and that math shows how absurd negative reviews have more impact than absurd positive reviews despite your personal opinion about that fact.

At the end of the day, metacritic user scores are worthless either way.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unmoderated ones. Era would probably be the same crap if it wasn't moderated.

Even here you definitely get a bit of that, but the fear of further moderation probably makes a lot of people shy away. Still, speaking of Death Stranding, how many threads did we have about the game or directly inspired by the relatively disappointing reviews? A thread conveniently asked if reviews should still be trusted, another wondered if DS is the most ambitious game ever or something... the mass hysteria on both sides became pretty tiring. With this game it seems that it either has to be the best thing since sliced bread because Kojima is the biggest genius ever and without evil Konami he'll just spawn out masterpiece after masterpiece, or that Kojima is a hack and everything he does is trash. Very hard to find a meaningful middle ground even on a moderated forum such as this one. Not a surprise that less strict places are a cesspool tbh.

And yeah, the issue is the unmoderated reviews, not user reviews per se. When a site doesn't put in enough effort to take away reviewing privileges from people who clearly have not touched the product, this is what happens.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Anyone who spends any time on social media is well aware this generation has been a nightmare for fanboys of a certain platform. It started with US based Youtube channels pumping out nonsense. That's faded away.......now we just have channels doing unpaid shilling. The review bombing and fake 'downgrade' comparisons tend to come from the Brazilian community. For whatever reason.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it reasonable to think that just as many people are aggressively promoting it too? It seems like Kojima has far more stans than he does critics, especially if Era is any indicator. I mean, people have been apologizing for this game since before we knew anything about it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Metacritic should figure this out becauase literally dozens actually give a shit about user reviews outside of Steam.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Isn't it reasonable to think that just as many people are aggressively promoting it too? It seems like Kojima has far more stans than he does critics, especially if Era is any indicator. I mean, people have been apologizing for this game since before we knew anything about it.

The user review score is very low, so he doesn't have more "stans" than "haters", or the fans aren't giving 10's on MC.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The user review score is very low, so he doesn't have more "stans" than "haters", or the fans aren't giving 10's on MC.
That's not really how it works, because that assumes that every single review is a false 0 or a false 10. Even if the game just came out for most, I'm sure a fair number of reviewers just genuinely loved or hated it.

This isn't really a reliable way of getting a total tally of stans and critics.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Yep, as expected some childish xboys are into console wars as always because Death Stranding not being on their platform sure stings some asses. They could've been smarter at least and waited for some days as the game released literally today. Goddamn embarrassing. The last time I remember when console fanatics were this hard on an exclusive game was Uncharted 4. On the other hand in a week when lots of people finish the game thousands of positive user scores will flood this pointless hate parade. MC should have had some preventive user hate/fan measures for years now, moderating won't help in the early days of release, maybe they should create some form of reputation scale for users or lock user scores for AAA games for some days just so that the universal score would fair: give time for people to play the game and haters could hate later.
Come one it's came from both Sides and here some for you

p_1407vlx630.png

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's not really how it works, because that assumes that every single review is a false 0 or a false 10. Even if the game just came out for most, I'm sure a fair number of them just genuinely loved or hated it.

You can see that 90% of 0 or 1 reviews are in spanish, so there's a movement.

Come one it's came from both Sides and here some for you

p_1407vlx630.png

LM 3 and Gears 5 have a good user score though, so it wasn't a big movement. SoT was polemic from the start.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
When the end result is a score far lower than the critic average (critics are just gamers who got early copies in this case), it's clear that the balance of the review bombing is resulting in a lower score than is likely.

So your telling me it's impossible for users to have a differing opinion to critics?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I definitely never pay any attention to metacritic user reviews. Any one can post any thing and give any rating for whatever reason. Plenty of trash 0 and 10 reviews that offer nothing.