• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why is a portion of the Spanish community review bombing the game? Bad translation/dub?

Probably Sasel fans or, might be unrelated, but here's a story that involved the game this week in the spanish gaming community:

So last week it was announced a panel sponsored by Sony that had journalists and even film directors to have a debate and comment about the game. The problem it was an all-male panel, no women was involved.

A feminist female journalist made a reasonable tweet criticizing yet another situation were capable women were excluded.

It was just a single tweet and then, the moderator of the panel went all mad and quite misogynistic over that single tweet. Is not worth commenting what he said, just that it was bad.

Result? Sony and Vandal (the spanish gaming website that organized) introduced 2 women into the panel and they kicked out the moderator that made all those offensive tweets.

Of course Spanish GG went mad over this (first supporting the former moderator on the attacks against women) and then after the change.

So I could see that episode as a reasoning for the review bombing.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably comes from the car forum that's not a car forum lol

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I won't even trust myself anymore
969.jpg

Dec 8, 2018
First off this is a multiplat so anyone getting mad about it because of it being 'exclusive' when it's not is stupid anyway. Everyone will get the opportunity to try this on PC.

Secondly only idiots wouldn't know how to differentiate troll reviews from real ones. There are always several detailed reviews by legitimate people who want to share their opinion about the games they play. The aggregate review score might be misleading but there are loads of legit reviews on there. Its funny you mention critic reviews because they're no different. Pretty much all the Playstation-aligned sites gave this glowing reviews. It's like they're obliged to give it a good score simply because of their association. The same goes for the other companies as well.

Yeah the PC release is just around the corner and the "exclusiveness" PS4 players have won't upset anyone right except the ones this thread is actually about that are review bombing it for no reason at all except that matter basically so yes people are "mad".

And if you don't trust actual reviewers from certain reviewers and think they are biased don't read those reviews (but doubting good reviews made for a game with a 86 open critic is so quite telling) but someone else's that you believe are fair instead of searching through actual garbage to perhaps find a review you actually can believe is not from an anonymous person, that you don't actually know if he/she played watched or even completed the game, on the internet you for some reason puts more faith in than gaming websites that puts their name and the reviewers in the actual review. If you look up their earlier reviews on games you like/dislike you can quite easily find someone you feel are close to your preference.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should anyone care though? User reviews on MC have not been relevant for a good while now

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
What about 1000 Dereks?

Theb asic Idea behind user reviews, is that it hows you the % of people that like or hate a game, thats good data, the problem, is that in reality, only the people with strong opinions about the game will take time to review it, so, people that really dislike a game for a reason, fanboy wars or really big gans of the game.

I agree and that's exactly why it's pointless. 1000 Dereks providing their unbiased, genuine thoughts would be extremely useful. But there is no way to know who's doing that and who isn't, which makes the data worthless. Based on events like this combined with what we know about gamers and console warring, it's safe to assume more than half aren't.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The 0/10 reviews are not legit at all. This is meme level action, in that it's a social thread that people are picking up on.

The fact the game is about reconnecting via "social strands" was no doubt part of this catalyst and also makes it amusing.

It is also complete bushit.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So your telling me it's impossible for users to have a differing opinion to critics?
I said no such thing, but you can quote me saying it if you can find such a post.
Are you telling me that a 20-30 point spread, especially one made up of troll 0 point reviews, is likely for this game? Or did you just want to argue something that nobody said?
At this point, are you going on the record as saying that it is likely that a 6 is the "real" user score, unmarred by troll reviews, and that metacritic user scores are a reliable metric relatively free from review bombing by trolls? What's your argument here? Mine, to state it clearly, is that metacritic user scores are an unmoderated mess that can't be relied on for exclusive games of any system. What's your thesis?

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I mean looking at some of them...it seems like a lot of people don't like the game. That's not really review bombing, it's just expressing a negative opinion. Or is that taboo now, too?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking the 450 negative reviews are 'review bombing' but the 650 positive reviews are a-ok says a lot of the OP:
It's the amount of 0s that are being discussed, an amount that suddenly appeared en mass a few hours after release.

Of course all the reviews this early are silly, but what can you do?

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Where are all those positive reviews coming from? It only came out today.

I played 3 hours last night and am personally ready to give it my recommendation so perhaps many people feel the same. I'll wait a while to actually pass judgement but so far I am very impressed. I should mention that I've been a Kojima fan since the original MGS so I didn't go in to DS with much doubt.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep caring about user review scores? They are nearly always trolls. If I was committed enough I could get TW3 or BOTW to plummet in user score but it would be pointless.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Yeah the PC release is just around the corner and the "exclusiveness" PS4 players have won't upset anyone right except the ones this thread is actually about that are review bombing it for no reason at all except that matter basically so yes people are "mad".

And if you don't trust actual reviewers from certain reviewers and think they are biased don't read those reviews (but doubting good reviews made for a game with a 86 open critic is so quite telling) but someone else's that you believe are fair instead of searching through actual garbage to perhaps find a review you actually can believe is not from an anonymous person, that you don't actually know if he/she played watched or even completed the game, on the internet you for some reason puts more faith in than gaming websites that puts their name and the reviewers in the actual review. If you look up their earlier reviews on games you like/dislike you can quite easily find someone you feel are close to your preference.
No. You're implying this is getting review bombed because of its exclusivity which I firstly don't believe is the case and secondly I've already said is stupid because anyone who doesn't want to buy a ps4 to play this doesn't actually have to because its literally not an exclusive since we know of the PC version. You aren't forced to own the console to play it if you really don't want to the only difference is you will have to wait a few months. Getting mad about it being 'exclusive' is silly.

Getting mad about your beloved developer/company/game getting a lower review score when you just said its irrelevant (like a lot of people here) is also silly.

I personally value user reviews over official critic reviews and that goes for everything not just video games. You never know what conditions the reviewer is under and what he can or cannot say. At least with user reviews you can browse through many hundreds of them and get a picture of what the game is like. A legitimately good game will have many good and detailed reviews which all corroborate one another. It doesn't take much to figure out if a game is legit good or bad. And going back to critic reviews again it's funny that they're suddenly oh so reliable when the whole DS community on this forum got booty blasted when IGN gave it a mediocre score.

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
If spanish people is review bombing Death Stranding, they're not spanish Xbox users for sure. There's not enough Xbox fans in spain to make a game drop a single point lol

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
When it's a mass of 0s then yes?

Otherwise we'd see a mass of 0s for all games.

If I absolutely hate a game I'd give it a zero too. I dunno, I mean people exaggerate on metacritc always, that's the way it is. Is that "review bombing", though? What even constitutes review bombing? Is it a game you like getting a lot of negative reviews? Because it's starting to sound like that's our new definition.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
It's the amount of 0s that are being discussed, an amount that suddenly appeared en mass a few hours after release.

Of course all the reviews this early are silly, but what can you do?

Did the 10's not appear en mass a few hours after release as well? How about we just ignore all of the reviews that come out less than a few days after release?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine comparing steam reviews, where you not only need to buy the game but it also tracks your playtime, with MC reviews which tracks nothing whatsoever.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
This current started when Astral Chain was bombed for not being on PS4. Many realized that they were users who gave 10 to PS4 games and 0 to Nintendo and Xbox games. You can notice that for example the days gone have more points than their review by the press because it was before.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Did the 10's not appear en mass a few hours after release as well? How about we just ignore all of the reviews that come out less than a few days after release?
My post literally says what you just did.

If I absolutely hate a game I'd give it a zero too. I dunno, I mean people exaggerate on metacritc always, that's the way it is. Is that "review bombing", though? What even constitutes review bombing? Is it a game you like getting a lot of negative reviews? Because it's starting to sound like that's our new definition.
If you truly despise a game then I guess 0 could be just as valid as a 10. Saying that, the only games that I could honestly say where 0s were trashware asset flip style utterly broken pieces of garbage.

I dislike a lot of popular games, and a lot of divisive games, but I can't think of any that deserve a 0 honestly.

Saying THAT... user reviews this early - either way - are fucking stupid.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who cares? User scores are meaningless and review bombing only spreads awareness of this fact.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
There's a huge Kojima hate boner going around on social media. It's probably in answer to people being vocal with how much they worship him but it's super shitty that people can't just say how much they like someone's works without having to face direct or indirect consequences.
When that someone continues to make misogynistic content, you have to expect some backlash when you come out and say, "he's a genius!"

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
My post literally says what you just did.

Your post dismisses the 10's because "it's the amount of 0's that are being discussed". I'm pointing out that that is a bit hypocritical. You can't discuss one and then say well we aren't discussing the other because that's not the topic at hand. One leads to the other.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Probably SouthAmericans and some ps haters from Spain, all of them led by sasel's shitty attitude

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Probably Sasel fans or, might be unrelated, but here's a story that involved the game this week in the spanish gaming community:

So last week it was announced a panel sponsored by Sony that had journalists and even film directors to have a debate and comment about the game. The problem it was an all-male panel, no women was involved.

A feminist female journalist made a reasonable tweet criticizing yet another situation were capable women were excluded.

It was just a single tweet and then, the moderator of the panel went all mad and quite misogynistic over that single tweet. Is not worth commenting what he said, just that it was bad.

Result? Sony and Vandal (the spanish gaming website that organized) introduced 2 women into the panel and they kicked out the moderator that made all those offensive tweets.

Of course Spanish GG went mad over this (first supporting the former moderator on the attacks against women) and then after the change.

So I could see that episode as a reasoning for the review bombing.
A part of it is definitely Sasel, he posted the user score and said it should be lower a couple hours ago, and I'm sure he must've done a couple of negative videos about the game too.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Your post dismisses the 10's because "it's the amount of 0's that are being discussed". I'm pointing out that that is a bit hypocritical. You can't discuss one and then say well we aren't discussing the other because that's not the topic at hand. One leads to the other.
Except it literally says all reviews this early are stupid...

The OP was discussing the 0s, which I find hard to believe are legit usually anyway.