• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I get this is bad but the number of people saying user reviews in general are bad and worthless is absurd to me
So many times I've seen "official" game critics reviewing games in genres they don't really understand because they have to, or reviewing games without understanding their intended audience, or not even finishing games in some places. Or perhaps critics playing games in genres they're just not good at (see Polygon critics playing D44M as an example). Critics also all too frequently aren't willing to actually say a game is bad.

User reviews I've found are *generally* much more reliable as the people who buy the games buy games in the genres they're interested in and have time to finish the games. This isn't entirely the fault of critics of course; there are certain flawed systems in place that make this happen.
Examples of what I mean are pages like Mass Effect Andromeda or any Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. PMD especially irks me because numerous critic reviews show they didn't see the full story of the game, or don't understand/like roguelikes.

Its unfortunate in this case that the game is being reviewbombed (both in terms of negative *and* positive user reviews) and its an example of flaws in the system, but user reviews as a whole are usually super useful and much more in line with what one would actually think of a game I've found, or at least what *I'd* think of a game.

As for this game, I suspect Death Stranding's user reviews will normalize after a couple weeks have passed.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
A part of it is definitely Sasel, he posted the user score and said it should be lower a couple hours ago, and I'm sure he must've done a couple of negative videos about the game too.
I haven't even watched the videos but I'm guessing they go something like this:

LOS PIPEROS AL BORDE DEL SUICIDIO CON LAS ESPANTOSAS REVIEWS DE DEATH STRANDING, SONY Y SU PS4 UNA VEZ MAS QUEDAN EN RIDICULO

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Although fucking stupid, I "get" review bombing highly rated exclusive games.

Why the hell would anyone bother review bombing this thing though? Lol. It won't even be an exclusive next year. Imagine being jealous of not having Death Stranding on your platform of choice lmao.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I get this is bad but the number of people saying user reviews in general are bad and worthless is absurd to me
So many times I've seen "official" game critics reviewing games in genres they don't really understand because they have to, or reviewing games without understanding their intended audience, or not even finishing games in some places. Or perhaps critics playing games in genres they're just not good at (see Polygon critics playing D44M as an example). Critics also all too frequently aren't willing to actually say a game is bad.

User reviews I've found are *generally* much more reliable as the people who buy the games buy games in the genres they're interested in and have time to finish the games. This isn't entirely the fault of critics of course; there are certain flawed systems in place that make this happen.
Examples of what I mean are pages like Mass Effect Andromeda or any Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. PMD especially irks me because numerous critic reviews show they didn't see the full story of the game, or don't understand/like roguelikes.

Its unfortunate in this case that the game is being reviewbombed (both in terms of negative *and* positive user reviews) and its an example of flaws in the system, but user reviews as a whole are usually super useful and much more in line with what one would actually think of a game I've found, or at least what *I'd* think of a game.

As for this game, I suspect Death Stranding's user reviews will normalize after a couple weeks have passed.
User reviews on certain sites are valuable, and specific reviews on other sites can be too.

People are generally talking about the average mouse review score on sites like MC where so many of the "reviews" are a tiny little paragraph and a number. There is often little value in the "reviews" and sometimes even less in the aggregated score.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Getting mad about it being 'exclusive' is pants on head retarded.

Getting mad about your beloved developer/company/game getting a lower review score when you just said its irrelevant (like a lot of people here) is also pants on head retarded.

Dude wtf? Not okay.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If the proliferation of moronic people's thoughts is mitigated by a single outlet channeling their words and deeds into a void where they are of no consequence to anyone, I think Metacritic user reviews might be serving a purpose after all.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018

Why the hell would anyone bother review bombing this thing though? Lol. It won't even be an exclusive next year. Imagine being jealous of not having Death Stranding on your platform of choice lmao.
This game has been highly divisive for people who have access to it. I would say it's not related to exclusivity because it doesn't exist. It will be multiplatform by every definition come next year. I doubt Nintendo and Xbox fans care so much to replicate what PS fans did to them (in the case of Nintendo anyway and Astral Chain).

Come on. You think 600 people played the game and thought it's 10/10?
Your hardcore Kojima/Sony fanboy think so. They'll read this and get mad but they know its true.

I'm sorry. I'll change it.

Last edited:

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I would be interested to see a user review system that was:

Do you think the review score is:
  • Too High?
  • Just Right?
  • Too Low?
Giving people the full 0-10 range doesn't serve a purpose when lots will only score a game 0 or 10. Those that genuinely score a game somewhere in the middle just get drowned out.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's not uncommon. This happened with Rise of the Tomb Raider as well. People still hold a grudge for that timed exclusivity.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Of course. Day one user reviews are nonsense for 40-70 hour games.

Scored reviews for sure, but after one day if someone really hates a game I feel a "thanks I hate it" review will probably be fairly accurate. I wish meta critic did that as opposed to letting people try and grade games themselves.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I said no such thing, but you can quote me saying it if you can find such a post.
Are you telling me that a 20-30 point spread, especially one made up of troll 0 point reviews, is likely for this game? Or did you just want to argue something that nobody said?
At this point, are you going on the record as saying that it is likely that a 6 is the "real" user score, unmarred by troll reviews, and that metacritic user scores are a reliable metric relatively free from review bombing by trolls? What's your argument here? Mine, to state it clearly, is that metacritic user scores are an unmoderated mess that can't be relied on for exclusive games of any system. What's your thesis?

The quote I posted intimates this and you are indeed doing this again. I am indeed suggesting that it's possible for people not to be bombing - the system allows both, and surprise, you have to read review individually to determine this fully, just as you need to explore the same for positive reviews. The system is not one fit for purpose in these instances (eg exclusive games user reviews where people on both sides relish in their bias mixed with genuine impressions). Moreover, 0 to 10 scoring from user reviews frequently shows disproportionality with many 0 and many 10 scorings.

As for genuine divergence of critic reviews and user reviews on the scale you mention - yes, it's absolutely possible. RDR2 is already a good example. Trouble is, there are few sites with good systems for user reviews. Steam absolutely has one of the best solutions for this. It's a system forcing a recommendation only (y/n), provides playtime, and context to game state at time of the review, filters to rule out bombing or zone in on them and explore an aggregate of user reviews. On Steam you see this divergence from critic reviews regularly too, just as you do with movies

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I for one look for consistency when going through reviews. And it has to be more than just "dis game stoopid". Otherwise, I tend to go more for impressions rather than reviews, from people here on ERA, or from a handful of YouTubers or streamers that I follow.

For the most part, and Death Stranding is in this group, I don't give a shit about reviews. Do these people actually expect to change people's minds about a game?

Dec 8, 2018
No. You're implying this is getting review bombed because of its exclusivity which I firstly don't believe is the case and secondly I've already said is stupid because anyone who doesn't want to buy a ps4 to play this doesn't actually have to because its literally not an exclusive since we know of the PC version. You aren't forced to own the console to play it if you really don't want to the only difference is you will have to wait a few months. Getting mad about it being 'exclusive' is pants on head retarded.

Getting mad about your beloved developer/company/game getting a lower review score when you just said its irrelevant (like a lot of people here) is also pants on head retarded.

I personally value user reviews over official critic reviews and that goes for everything not just video games. You never know what conditions the reviewer is under and what he can or cannot say. At least with user reviews you can browse through many hundreds of them and get a picture of what the game is like. A legitimately good game will have many good and detailed reviews which all corroborate one another. It doesn't take much to figure out if a game is legit good or bad. And going back to critic reviews again it's funny that they're suddenly oh so reliable when the whole DS community on this forum got booty blasted when IGN gave it a mediocre score.

Ok so explain to me then why this games are getting hundreds of 0 and 10 reviews from people who in no way possible would be able to have the game and played it enough (a 50h game revived after seconds from it release) to give it an actual score if it's not fanboys or console warriors involved?

And it sounds like you actually believe everybody that don't own a PS4 have not only a PC (in 2019 when pc sales are down the drain since years back) but also one that will be able to run it and therefore no one should be mad or have any console warrior flames burning in them. That is actually pants on retarded and once again show you are either living under a fucking rock or have other reasons to defend these "reviews".

And even if people own a PC or only have to wait there is still tons of fanboys that take up arms for their preferred console and if they feel that brand is left out or threated unfair. Look at tomb raider and the exclusive one year Xbox deal where a gaming franchise that earlier sold tons on PlayStation sales were absolutely terrible when it released and the franchise took a huge hit and probably almost died and that was an actual multiplat and not only PC like this one. But of course there was no irritation at all from PlayStation fans right because everyone was playing it on their gamimg PC everyone owns instead and those sales were amazing.... Wait they did not for some reason and the franchise is now a ghost of it former self even though the game got good reviews.

And funny how you can't know what pressure or baggage the professional game reviewers (by for instance removing the best and worst ones) carry but trusting anonymous, not even confirmed purchases or timed played like on steam, user reviews on metacritic of all places is such a good way to get a unbiased opinion.

I'm done with this conversation and since you actually seem to be the only one that believes these metacritic user reviews are worth anything and everyone else seem to disagree you can perhaps wonder why that is.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's not review bombing and they didn't know what to expect after seeing all these memorable hyped trailers with famous actors and very cinemactic, and then realised the gameplay loop.

On cinescore Drive and Mother got an F by non critics, which I guess its the closest comparison I can come up. The gameplay of Death Stranding looks like 0/10 to me but I just chose not to buy it.

Maybe I missed something here and the 0 rating user scores had another agenda.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Maybe it's not review bombing and they didn't know what to expect after seeing all these memorable hyped trailers with famous actors and very cinemactic, and then realised the gameplay loop.

On cinescore Drive and Mother got an F by non critics, which I guess its the closest comparison I can come up. The gameplay of Death Stranding looks like 0/10 to me but I just chose not to buy it.

How many of them do you think have played the game and "realized the gameplay loop", it hasn't even been out for 12 hours lmao

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

If you honestly think that the 0 and 10 reviews for a game that has been out for less than a day are honest reviews, I have a bridge to sell you

It's the bolded

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Ok so explain to me then why this games are getting hundreds of 0 and 10 reviews from people who in no way possible would be able to have the game and played it enough (a 50h game revived after seconds from it release) to give it an actual score if it's not fanboys or console warriors involved?

And it sounds like you actually believe everybody that don't own a PS4 have not only a PC (in 2019 when pc sales are down the drain since years back) but also one that will be able to run it and therefore no one should be mad or have any console warrior flames burning in them. That is actually pants on retarded and once again show you are either living under a fucking rock or have other reasons to defend these "reviews".

And even if people own a PC or only have to wait there is still tons of fanboys that take up arms for their preferred console and if they feel that brand is left out or threated unfair. Look at tomb raider and the exclusive one year Xbox deal where a gaming franchise that earlier sold tons on PlayStation sales were absolutely terrible when it released and the franchise took a huge hit and probably almost died and that was an actual multiplat and not only PC like this one. But of course there was no irritation at all from PlayStation fans right because everyone was playing it on their gamimg PC everyone owns instead and those sales were amazing.... Wait they did not for some reason and the franchise is now a ghost of it former self even though the game got good reviews.

And funny how you can't know what pressure or baggage the professional game reviewers (by for instance removing the best and worst ones) carry but trusting anonymous, not even confirmed purchases or timed played like on steam, user reviews on metacritic of all places is such a good way to get a unbiased opinion.

I'm done with this conversation and since you actually seem to be the only one that believes these metacritic user reviews are worth anything and everyone else seem to disagree you can perhaps wonder why that is.
You sound awfully butthurt and are very committed to trying to prove every single user score is misleading or wrong when coincidentally it's making this game look bad. I wonder why.

I never once claimed all user reviews are bad I even said the aggregate score can be misleading but there will be detailed reviews among them which explain the game well and all good reviews can corroborate each other and explain why the game is good or bad. I said before it's not hard to figure out if a game is good or bad.

And why are you bringing platform wars into this? I said before this isn't an exclusive, which is correct, so any mug who wants to get mad about it being exclusive is flat out silly. You should be agreeing with me not disagreeing unless you yourself want this to be exclusive. People owning or not owning a PC is irrelevant if the whole reason why these people are getting mad is because of exclusively. If their issue is PS fans get a game they can only play then they're wrong which is the point here. Astral Chain review bombing by hardcore PS fans makes more sense in this scenario because you can see where their stupid opinion comes from because it's a true exclusive and only on Nintendo platforms.

As for critic reviews we've seen time and time again how some of these guys can't even complete a Cuphead tutorial or give bad reviews to RE2make because a they missed whole sections of the game. The best thing about user reviews is theres generally so many of them you can get a good picture of how the product is and that goes for anything even such as ordering something off Amazon.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
How many of them do you think have played the game and "realized the gameplay loop", it hasn't even been out for 12 hours lmao
Well I would bet a lot of user reviews are made as soon as they decided they wasted their money. I'm sure some of them are trolls but 0/10 can be an honest opinion as well if they think the game was a complete waste of their time. I don't expect everyone to use the full scale, they can get emotional if they're dissapointed but I honestly don't know if they have another agenda other than hating it.

I agree with others saying to take user reviews lightly though, they're often voted with extremes.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
In my experience with user reviews of roguelikes and roguelikelikes, it's the opposite. Many users don't understand the genre enough, especially if the game in question isn't a "traditional" roguelike or mystery dungeon, and complain about "too much randomness" or it being "unbalanced" or "unfair", amongst other things. I run into this problem a lot when browsing such games on Steam.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I agree with others saying to take user reviews lightly though, they're often voted with extremes.

The user reviews are nigh on useless because you can't find any genuine opinions amongst the nonsense.

the User reviews might actually End up reasonably close to the critic average if they removed the option for 0 , something which is never ever going to happen to a critic review . 0/5 or 0/10

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Who cares? User reviews for games are always shit. Either a game is 10/10 GOTY or 1/10 complete trash in most user reviews. Or you just have situations like there where people use the reviews as a form of protest.

In each case, they're useless.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see user reviews on Metacritic, nor do I see user reviews from someone or some group which borderlines on nonsensical and/or toxic.

Will NEVER affect my purchase on PC platform when it appears.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I don't think user reviews are very useful when collected on a site like this. The opinions of users that actually matter can usually be found elsewhere. It's a shame the internet is like this...as this shouldn't happen.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not really surprised you "get" it. Your second paragraph is totally on their level afterall

Sergioll713

Banned
Nov 12, 2018
User Banned (permanent): troll account
Probably Sasel fans or, might be unrelated, but here's a story that involved the game this week in the spanish gaming community:

So last week it was announced a panel sponsored by Sony that had journalists and even film directors to have a debate and comment about the game. The problem it was an all-male panel, no women was involved.

A feminist female journalist made a reasonable tweet criticizing yet another situation were capable women were excluded.

It was just a single tweet and then, the moderator of the panel went all mad and quite misogynistic over that single tweet. Is not worth commenting what he said, just that it was bad.

Result? Sony and Vandal (the spanish gaming website that organized) introduced 2 women into the panel and they kicked out the moderator that made all those offensive tweets.

Of course Spanish GG went mad over this (first supporting the former moderator on the attacks against women) and then after the change.

So I could see that episode as a reasoning for the review bombing.

why are you a liar, man?
why don't you explain the truth?

The mod was a great developer on Tequila Works, yes, was, because he lost his job.
Sony playstation and vandal (spanish web about videogames) are doing a conference with 5 persons, they are all man.
they are great's man in videogames industry in spain.

a one woman doesn't like this and she tweeted about this. she said "no one is a woman in this conference, this is not good".
a lot of people wrote about this and this mod got angry with this woman becasue he knows her and said "this woman is a toxic woman in or insdustry and you are banned for me.

sony playstation and vandal changed mod for a woman and they added other woman.

man or woman is not important, talent and career are importants.

but you know, be man is bad now

twitter mod -> https://twitter.com/ngelLuisSucasas

she deleted her tweets

Oct 26, 2017
How is a game with an 83% average on Metacritic and an 85% average on Opencritic "divisive"? No one calls the Outerworld divisive and that has damn near the exact same score.
It sounding divisive is my opinion not the general opinion. If you told me the elevator pitch of "deliveryman where every equipment you get degrades and trudging through the environment kinda sucks" it sounds very divisive and not very fun.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I honestly trust user reviews less than critics in general. Some random person can just give a bad or great score for any number of pointless reasons not based on the quality.