• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not expecting game to release before spring 2020.

TGA trailer will include something new: either a character, story beat or gameplay element. Not gonna see a release window on it until the E3 2019 blowout.
Yeah. Sounds about right.

I don't mind as i love the trailers.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like it reached alpha and may be close to beta. So maybe it's released in a year from now aprox. I bet we'll get a release date at Game Awards.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Peace Walker is a 2010 title. They had to create a new engine for MGS V, also we can't deny that MGS V has a ton of mecanics, it's a very complex game.
Ground Zeroes is a 2014 game (4 years after PW), Phantom Pain a 2015 game.
4/5 years is not that long when you need to create an engine AND that you're working at the same time on PT/Silent Hills. Actually it's pretty impressive imo.
They did show the first Fox Engine tech demo at E3 2011 and it did look amazing back then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Engine

Peace Walker was released April 2010, it's impossible that barely in a year they already had that engine build from scratch in that stage. Make sure their engine team started to work on it way before the Peace Walker release, I think it's more likely they started to work on it after MGS4 (released in 2008) as Wikipedia says.

MGSV Phantom Pain was released in September 2015. So MGSV took around 5 years and a half plus almost a couple of extra years working on the engine. It's a lot but not something very rare, many AAA games needed 5-7 years of development even if not publicly mentioned for most of them.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Little snippets of gameplay don't really show what the core gameplay loop will be like, or even the extent of what combat options will be like.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How? This has to be his fastest game development ever.
Maybe it's a short, small game compared to MGS games. Think also that they already had the engine ready and that maybe they have a year or a year an a half from now until the release.

As I remember back in 2016 or so Kojima said the game was going to be released before the Akira movie Olympics (so 2019, and olympics are in summer so we may get it for May 2019 or so if he means they past Beta instead of Alpha when saying "polishing state"). This would be around 3 years of development, something ok considering Kojima already had the concept ready at the beggining and didn't need to make a new engine. And who knows, maybe the game is way simpler and smaller, and Sony may have provided them an army of outsourcing studios.

Last edited:

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's a short, small game compared to MGS games.
No. Its huge according to Troy Baker:

"Norman [Reedus] and I shot for about two weeks on it, and he's super rad," he beamed. "He's really throwing his all into this game; he's got an amazing work ethic. We've got some interesting scenes together that you guys have not even begun—it's a huge game, the scope of the game is huge. If you know anything about Kojima, he doesn't do small. It's weird and it's big."

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe he means the game has a huge map. A huge, empty map with just a few players walking with backpacks and some enemies and loot distributed randomly across the map.
You just described the best game of the generation.

Are you really expecting Kojima and Sony to release a game like you described in your post?

And the quote from Troy Baker is "the scope of the game is huge".

That doesn't seem to me as a huge empty map game.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Why people underestimate Kojima? This forum is really something else. First Zelda, then GOW and RDR 2, now DS.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I really don't see the game releasing next year, it was announced 2016 with a trailer and Kojima haven't even still decided on an engine for the game, Troy says the game is huge, how do you make a huge new IP in 3 years? Isn't Kojima's studio small too?? It's either gonna end up being a short game or it will be a mess, it's Kojima though so anything is possible.

You don't know that. They might have used decima from the start,but Horizon hadn't even released so it would be weird to announce this before Horizon's release

Not really. Witcher 3 which is a game of huge scope was built on a newly created engine and with some huge production setbacks it was released in a 3-4 year window.

Death Stranding already is using Decima from the get go and production is going smooth,so this game is definitely 2019

Last edited:

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
do we even know that there are any? :) ...

There's the gun from the E3 trailer.

uvozvkkx7i311.png

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not only do I think it's possible it'll release next year, I also think Kojima is laying down the groundwork for his next game. Kojima has mentioned liking Junji Ito's work so it could be a collaboration with him, though he might also be wanting to collaborate with Peter Tieryas, who he's been praising lately.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Game Awards trailer will end with "2019" to a huge pop.

E3 2019 gameplay will have no date.

In the summer it's announced it has been delayed to 2020.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Being at polishing phase since last summer is pretty crazy considering the development time. I almost can't believe this game can come out before 2019 ends. Super excited for TGA this year.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like its hit the fully playable milestone, it can take another 12-18 months before its shipped, looks like it's coming out Q4 2019/1H 2020.

I'm a bit skeptical, MGSV took 4 years. DS didn't even have an engine until late 2016, so a 2019 release would mean a sub 3 year development with a likey not insignificant chunk of the time being spent on learning the Decima engine. Obviously they didn't have to build a new engine from scratch like V,,but they also had to go through the all the new studio shenanigans.
You don't think they spent the rest of 2016 in pre-production and design phase? The E3 trailer wasn't even in the Decima engine and 6 months later they got a trailer running in it. By the time this game is out, it's had +4 year in total development, with an engine in place, and support from Sony and GG, that should be enough to release a big game.

He probably meant gameplay as in interaction with the world, and combat. Not just walking around, no one's seriously expecting this game to be a walking simulator.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Edit: I removed my comment since it was misinterpreted - I have zero information about the release date (and I said so in a later post).

Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

That's because they already have a an allocated engine from Guerrilla, they are only doing small changes to it according to their game basically.

Plus just look at all the technical people behind this.. Especially with Mark Cerny and the folks at Guerrilla giving a hand on the technical side.

It's looking good indeed

It's currently being localized, so I imagine it's going to release in 2019.

In English or everywhere?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's currently being localized, so I imagine it's going to release in 2019.
damn so holiday 2019 or september 2019 is not out of question for this game . should i play this on PS4 or wait for PS5 patch enhanced version .

This will be my main question for many big titles coming in 2019. ps4 version or wait for PS5 patched version

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He probably meant gameplay as in interaction with the world, and combat. Not just walking around, no one's seriously expecting this game to be a walking simulator.

I'm expecting most of the game to comprise of what was shown - making deliveries (sometimes while having to figure out how to traverse undesirable terrain), exploration, and stealth/avoiding enemies.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It won't be, as we saw him prepare a gun, but if you think of how much MGS is comprised just of traversal, especially in some of the non-lethal ways you can play it, I wouldn't be against something that was mainly focused on movement lol. I know walking simulator is a meme but a lot of my MGS series playthroughs could be seen as crawling, crouch walking, and wall huggin, and walking simulators. Good feeling traversal can still be good!